March 28, 2024, 09:37:12 AM

Author Topic: Home or away?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Home or away?
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
I think locally based athletes like Jehue Gordon, should go and train in the US if they want to be be main contenders on the world stage. Our local facilities, calendar, competition, and coaching is simply not up to scratch. When was the last time a locally-based athlete actually medalled at a senior championship?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Home or away?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
Hence one of the the reasons most Swimming  and TF athletes try to get scholarships to the US. The competition is unsurpassed. All or Almost all of our Olimpic medalist have attended a US university. If we had that type of competiton in the Caribbean there would not be the need to go overseas to study

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »
I think locally based athletes like Jehue Gordon, should go and train in the US if they want to be be main contenders on the world stage. Our local facilities, calendar, competition, and coaching is simply not up to scratch. When was the last time a locally-based athlete actually medalled at a senior championship?

Counter-argument:
When Ian Morris ran his 44.21 TT record in 1992 he was training at home.
I assume Jehue has a dedicated coach and access to a track and weight training facilities in TT.
Let's also not forget he enjoys nutritious home cooking and having family close. Those are huge physical and mental advantages that many scholarship athletes may/do not have when abroad.
Though he is TT-based he is being sponsored and does not have to run meets solely in TT and the Caribbean, he can travel most anywhere to compete against the best. The only thing that might be missing is a capable training partner.

AirMan

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
..to think Morris could have even been faster if he had trained abroad among top athletes

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:11 AM »

Counter-argument:
I assume Jehue has a dedicated coach and access to a track and weight training facilities in TT.
Let's also not forget he enjoys nutritious home cooking and having family close. Those are huge physical and mental advantages that many scholarship athletes may/do not have when abroad.
Though he is TT-based he is being sponsored and does not have to run meets solely in TT and the Caribbean, he can travel most anywhere to compete against the best. The only thing that might be missing is a capable training partner.

Ian Morris may have been training at home in 1992, but most of his career before that was in the states. He was already a top runner and had already benefited from the regime in the states.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »

Counter-argument:

Ian Morris may have been training at home in 1992, but most of his career before that was in the states. He was already a top runner and had already benefited from the regime in the states.

Point is that running on scholarship in the US is about access to facilities, coaching, regular high class competition, and a college education you cannot gain in T&T.

But if Jehue being a professional already has all of that in T&T (he is a UWI student and travels internationally to meets), plus family support and good nutrition, why does he need to go there??

Other athletes who are not as gifted at a young age as Jehue WILL benefit from a scholarship as they gradually develop their craft amongst competition better than them in an effort to "catch up" to the norm or the best. But in Jehue's case when you are better than most or all college athletes, what's the point?

The cons of college track is that you are "forced" to run numerous meets (in exchange for your scholarship) in a lot of cases even when you are carrying injuries, to score points at dual, state, conference, regional, and national meets. At the end of the season you come home, legs weary, and no good to T&T. Only a few coaches recognize that you may have national duty after the NCAA season is done, most others could not give a damn.

Yes Morris ran in the US before coming home, but he left T&T already running low 45s, and the fact remains he got even better training at home on his return. I don't have to remind you and draw comparisons, but you can see that Jamaican athletes have discovered that their longevity in the sport is better assured by staying at home in a system and with coaches who are more sensitive to their individual needs and their prospects for making their national team.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:27:06 AM by STMB »

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:26:36 AM »
..to think Morris could have even been faster if he had trained abroad among top athletes

Yeah you real new to T&T Track and Field.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:16:01 AM »

Yeah you real new to T&T Track and Field.

I think it worst than that TC! He's obviously new to T&F but not willing to learn!
Already feels he knows it all and keeps making embarrassing statements!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

AirMan

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »
LOL I got two cheerleaders who trying their best to convince themselves

1]; } ?>