April 24, 2024, 11:38:48 PM

Author Topic: Sancho impressed by Warriors coach Pfister.  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sancho impressed by Warriors coach Pfister.
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:15:53 AM »
Sancho impressed by Warriors coach Pfister.
By: Stephon Nicholas (Newsday).

Former national defender Brent Sancho says he was impressed by the tactical awareness showed by “Soca Warriors” coach Otto Pfister in yesterday’s 1-0 victory over Bermuda in a World Cup qualifier at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Trinidad and Tobago started the first half a bit sluggish and Pfister, looking to inject a bit of life in the heart of the team, brought on midfielder Keon Daniel for Khaleem Hyland in the 36th minute.

The move paid dividends as TT began to create goal-scoring chances and eventually got their goal in the 45th minute through their captain Kenwyne Jones.

“I was very impressed. He realised something wasn’t right tactically and made an early change. We needed a bit of creativity in the middle and he brought on Daniel to provide that. It takes a lot of guts to do something like that in just your second game,” he said.

The North East Stars chief executive officer said the sub-par performance of the team was a result of their inactivity and believes they will improve with more games under their belt.

TT played just one warm-up match under Pfister which featured just the local-based players while for the overseas pros this was their first match played under the German.

It was also the first time many have worn national colours since the end of the 2010 World Cup campaign.

“We didn’t play how we would like in terms of our strength on paper. We have to take into consideration this was the first outing under Pfister really so there will be some teething problems,” he said. “A win is a good result and a clean sheet is even better.

In modern football, three points is all that matters. In world football there are no minnows, everyone comes out to play. The most important thing is to keep on picking up three points and keeping clean sheets,” he added.

Sancho noted, however, that the team must play quicker and keep possession of the ball better as they continue their march towards Brazil in 2014.

“The fluidity needs to improve. We played a bit slow but a lot of the players played out of position. A lot of the mistakes we made were not punished but that must be corrected,” he explained.

The ex-“Warrior” praised the efforts of his North East Stars players Seon Power, Anthony Wolfe and Stern John who all featured for the national team.

“Power was very aggressive and won all the air balls. I would like to see a bit more composure in terms of bringing the ball out of defence but he will get better.

Stern held the ball up well and played smartly. Despite the tragedy (of losing his mother), he played with pride for his country. Wolfe was also very solid,” he pointed out.

Sancho was also in high praise of Jones and believes he put in one of his best performances in national colours on debut as captain.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:39:31 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Sancho impressed by Warriors coach Pfister.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
Sancho keep on representing bro.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
A substitution is not necessarily a tactical change. Here, it seems, Hyland was substituted but there was no adjustment in the coach's tactical plan. What appears to have happened is that Peltier came on to facilitate execution of the tactical plan as intended ... or put otherwise, to adhere to the tactical scheme more faithfully.

These comments are not critical of Brent because he alludes to tactical awareness ... nuff respect to him on a number of fronts ... rather, I've noticed several posters are misapplying the term "tactical change" just because a man was subbed ... ah only using this thread because it's about as convenient as any other to make this point.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:28:18 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
A substitution is not necessarily a tactical change. Here, it seems, Hyland was substituted but there was no adjustment in the coach's tactical plan. What appears to have happened is that Peltier came on to facilitate execution of the tactical plan as intended ... or put otherwise, to adhere to the tactical scheme more faithfully.

These comments are not critical of Brent because he alludes to tactical awareness ... nuff respect to him on a number of fronts ... rather, I've noticed several posters are misapplying the term "tactical change" just because a man was subbed ... ah only using this thread because it's about as convenient as any other to make this point.

any plans to come back to TT and coach in the future?

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »

tomato potato

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »

tomato potato

Iz actually apples and oranges, brother.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:28:50 PM »

tomato potato

Sometimes seeker yuh does just have to smile and carry on. Good explanation.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »

On this ah taking Elan's advice. Permission to smile :)  and carry on?

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:24 AM »
Actually the funny thing about how we giving props to Otto ...is the fact that he made basic substitutions ... like any other regular coach would. So you mean to tell me that we are so far behind that if we sub a foreign based player that this coach is now the real deal?
Basically the man playing shit and we sub him off and bring on a next man ... who did better .... "excellent tactical substitution" ... because he played well ... but ... if he had played badly ... Otto is crap look at the substitution he make for Hyland lol .... ah cyah lie I love meh trinis!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:56:07 AM by Ngozi »

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
Actually the funny thing about how we giving props to Otto ...is the fact that he made basic substitutions ... like any other regular coach would. So you mean to tell me that we are so far behind that if we sub a foreign based player that this coach is now the real deal?
Basically the man playing shit and we sub him off and bring on a net man ... who did better .... "excellent tactical substitution" ... because he played well ... but ... if he had played badly ... Otto is crap look at the substitution he make for Hyland lol .... ah cyah lie I love meh trinis!!
I don't think it was because he is a foreign based that people giving props, but more so because in the past we had coaches that would have left him on the field for much longer before making the switch. I think the timing of the sub is more what people were surprised with. Correct me if I am wrong of course. And the "tomato, potato comment was a joke, playing on the tom- a - to, tom -ah- to saying but small ting.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
Basically the man playing shit and we sub him off and bring on a net man ... who did better .... "excellent tactical substitution" ... because he played well ... but ... if he had played badly ... Otto is crap look at the substitution he make for Hyland lol .... ah cyah lie I love meh trinis!!
I don't think it was because he is a foreign based that people giving props, but more so because in the past we had coaches that would have left him on the field for much longer before making the switch. I think the timing of the sub is more what people were surprised with. Correct me if I am wrong of course. And the "tomato, potato comment was a joke, playing on the tom- a - to, tom -ah- to saying but small ting.

The man here for results and he don't know any of these players ...... local or foreign all the same to him ..... so he is not subject to the favoritism card that local based coaches tend to play ... it's all about  impartiality and results!!!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »

tomato potato

Sometimes seeker yuh does just have to smile and carry on. Good explanation.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »
I don't think it was because he is a foreign based that people giving props, but more so because in the past we had coaches that would have left him on the field for much longer before making the switch. I think the timing of the sub is more what people were surprised with.

Yea the move was ah necessary one, it was jess de timing...another coach wld have maybe been like..let him settle ah lil more....where as otto was lick fyah for that...next! :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »
Basically the man playing shit and we sub him off and bring on a next man ... who did better .... "excellent tactical substitution" ... because he played well ... but ... if he had played badly ... Otto is crap look at the substitution he make for Hyland lol .... ah cyah lie I love meh trinis!!

It's not the fact that Pfister made a personnel change.  That happens all the time.  What was RARE was WHEN it was made.

There are VERY FEW coaches that I have seen who would sub a player in the 36th minute of a crucial game for non injury purposes.

MOST coaches would have waited until half time to make the change. 

It was a notable decision for the following reasons:

1 - He realized something was wrong and acted accordingly, IMMEDIATELY

2 - This was no fete match.  This was a World Cup Qualifier in only his second game in charge, with the associate consequences.

3 - Most importantly, by subbing Hyland he was basically admitting he was wrong (with the starting lineup).  A coach who isn't stubborn and inflexible and doesn't have to be right all the time is  a good coach.

This is what I DON'T LIKE about what happened in the game.

Peeps speculating that players were playing out of position intentionally so that they could come to grips with playing out of their comfort zone etc etc etc.  While that may be all well and good, a World Cup Qualifier is NOT the place to do that.  That is why you have friendlies and practice matches.  A good coach puts players in positions where they can succeed.  Not where they will struggle.  So I will have to HOPE that this was not some deliberate "strategy" by the coach.  If it was, that is assness IMO.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »

On this ah taking Elan's advice. Permission to smile :)  and carry on?

I'm sure your quite capable of answering without Elan's advice of non-disclosure  ;)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
I feel ya los ..... and the theory about playing men out of position to get them in the habit
of playing out of the comfort zone in a qualifier I agree with you it is ludicrous to be honest so..........
for simple balance he probably put the more experienced players on the left side to compensate...hence Carlos and Roberts.
The only man on the squad I see could really use his left foot well is Stern ... I think Julius james may be left footed but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:06:10 AM by Ngozi »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
As mentioned, the timing of the sub was significant. Majority of coaches would have waited until half time. To me, its an indication that Hyland wasn't playing to instructions and causing imbalance in the team.

As for Palos' comment "a World Cup Qualifier is NOT the place to do that.  That is why you have friendlies and practice matches.", I'm sure Pfister would have loved the opportunity of several friendly matches! Give the man a break...look at the circumstances he is dealing with.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
As mentioned, the timing of the sub was significant. Majority of coaches would have waited until half time. To me, its an indication that Hyland wasn't playing to instructions and causing imbalance in the team.

As for Palos' comment "a World Cup Qualifier is NOT the place to do that.  That is why you have friendlies and practice matches.", I'm sure Pfister would have loved the opportunity of several friendly matches! Give the man a break...look at the circumstances he is dealing with.
Well said.

ah could've excused that from ah young wet behind the ears armchair coach, but ah man like palos who knows the game, come on palos, shame on you fuh that piece ah outa timin talk.  :shameonyou:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>