March 28, 2024, 02:01:22 PM

Author Topic: Best Team on Paper?  (Read 8331 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Best Team on Paper?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

Nothing but paper tigers.

Can they match the 1973 team.

The 2006 world cup team would get dogged out by that 1973 team. No doubt.
Assness talk dey

1 - There is no way on this GOD's green earth that you could EVER prove that

2 - That same 73 team lost to Honduras in their first game...so it wasn't Haiti dat did lick dem out

3 - The highest level that any player on the 73 team played was NASL.  Over 60% of the 2006 team team played at higher levels than NASL.  Soime significantly so.

4 - The 2 greatest ever players in T&T football played in the 2006 team.

5 - Even man for man, the 2006 team way better.  2006 coach better than 73 coach.  Hislop way better than Barclay.  Sancho and Tallest at least on par with Murren and Figaro.  Carlos Edwards waaaay better than Tony Douglas.  Yorke better than Gally.  Stern John better than Steve David.

Yuh could big up yuh 73 team all yuh want.  Is your perogative.  But do not diss the team that ACTUALLY did the business in the process.

There is one main reason why the 73 team was the best. At that time only ONE team from CONCACAF could qualify. Yes they lost to Honduras but they won all their other games, save for that stolen game against Haiti, they would have won the qualifying tournament. The 2006 team came in 4th.

Football has changed...........I always get upset when people compare eras.

I had an argument with a guy on work who was saying that the '73 and '89 teams were way better than the 06 team. 

My answer to him is simple.  Can the USA team in 89 beat the USA team in 06? No they cant!! There is no way that the '89 USA team (filled with semi pros, college players and amateurs) could have been a match for any of the top 10 teams in Concacaf right now!! Yet still, that team qualified automatically for a world cup!!

CONCACAF football has changed and is not as poor as it was in '73 and '89. 

Player for player and team for team, the 2002 was our best on paper, but the 2006 squad did the business and 100 years from now, that will be all that matters!!

good talk mr .3000 :beermug:

our 2002 team was a bomb squad, all we needed was a coach like beenie or pfister and we would have qualified

we lacked a world class coach >:(

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
has to be the squad that went germany because they all got 1 million each an dat is the best team on paper so far.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 05:40:06 PM »
Palos your 1992 team is the same 1989 strike squad except for Clint Marcelle! That was a better team than the 2006 , much more cohesive and dynamic! Players could fill 2 or three different roles and do it effectively! Of course Latpy and Yorke were the 2 surviving members who fought the fight to get the fourth place opportunity! The strike squad placed third ! If there were 3 places they would have made it!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
Palos your 1992 team is the same 1989 strike squad except for Clint Marcelle! That was a better team than the 2006 , much more cohesive and dynamic! Players could fill 2 or three different roles and do it effectively! Of course Latpy and Yorke were the 2 surviving members who fought the fight to get the fourth place opportunity! The strike squad placed third ! If there were 3 places they would have made it!

The strike squad also did not have to contend with Mexico...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
Fellas I guess it is difficult to compare teams as conditions funding etc were so different!  Look how far the strike squad reach with little or no funding! In fact the strike squad brought revenue to the TTFF! Look at funds being thrown at this team and watch the standard of play and players!
It may be better to speak of some of the greatest players we had and it is even better to honour them! Saying who better than who from different eras might be difficult to compare!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »

Were Yorke and Latapy better players in 1989 than they were in 2006?

Do you think that Strike Squad team could have beaten the USA, Mexico and Costa Rican squads in 2006?

Honest answers please
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:41 AM »
And dat jamaican team only had 2 players of note.....Paul "Teegat" Davis and a left footer whose name escapes me

Anthony Corbette, Winston Anglin, Clive Smith, Cobra Gaynor were all "stars" in Jamaica at the time. I can understand the typical Trini not knowing these players, similar to how the average JAmaican fan would probably not have recognize anyone except Maybve for Yorke on the T&T squad. Of course, Latapy and Lewis played for my local team a couple years later and were well known in Jamaica football circles for the 3 years they spent playing in the NPL. The team they played for (PMU) never actually won the title, but they played some great football, i believe their best finish was third.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »

The strike squad also did not have to contend with Mexico...

AAAARRRRHGHHHH  >:(

If we would have had to contend with Mexico... we would not have had to contend with Costa Rica!

How much time I must say it!!!  >:(
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
you mean Hector Wright? Honestly, I don't remember whether he was left-footed or not but I always remember him as Jamaica best player from them days.

Dat is de man self.  Best Jamaican player by far.

Dem man reggae-fan callin like corbett and anglin was little lower dan average.  Of course dey also had de ultimate wild man of regional football.  And he could make a case for bein de wildest man in football PERIOD.  A real butcher...no footballing skills whatsoever and only on de field to kick up man.  His greatest asset was to somehow find a way to not be sent off with regularity.  Mark "Hagler" Wilson.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
you mean Hector Wright? Honestly, I don't remember whether he was left-footed or not but I always remember him as Jamaica best player from them days.

Dat is de man self.  Best Jamaican player by far.

Dem man reggae-fan callin like corbett and anglin was little lower dan average.  Of course dey also had de ultimate wild man of regional football.  And he could make a case for bein de wildest man in football PERIOD.  A real butcher...no footballing skills whatsoever and only on de field to kick up man.  His greatest asset was to somehow find a way to not be sent off with regularity.  Mark "Hagler" Wilson.

Funny how you guys remember Mark "Haggler" Wilson. I cant recall him ever being any sort of stand-out player for Jamaica, nor was he ever a "star" player. For some reason he is the guy that most Trinis seem to remember (no doubt from the hard tackles he might have dished out to Yorke etc ;D) from Jamaica's past. But I can understand, given how aggressive Haggler wilson was, not only in his play, but his apppearance. Anthony Corbette, Cobra Gaynor were far superior defenders to Haggler Wilson.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:32:08 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
The best team on paper is de team that qualified for the WC. So out of all we teams that went WC, the one that was most successful is the best team. Not just paper, but best team period. This game is about success, not nearly and coulda, daiz curling, use to be horse shoes.

Each team in their era had to deal with whoever they were given to play. If 1973 team get Brazil, Spain and Holland, then daiz what they had to deal with. If 1989 team get Crab Connection, Docs Khewalass, and Fatima, then daiz what they had to deal with.

The team that win the WC is the best team in the world, simple.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
The best team on paper is de team that qualified for the WC. So out of all we teams that went WC, the one that was most successful is the best team. Not just paper, but best team period. This game is about success, not nearly and coulda, daiz curling, use to be horse shoes.

Each team in their era had to deal with whoever they were given to play. If 1973 team get Brazil, Spain and Holland, then daiz what they had to deal with. If 1989 team get Crab Connection, Docs Khewalass, and Fatima, then daiz what they had to deal with.

I concurrrrr...plain and simple...no what clda shld wlda....class of '06 did.

Question...if they didnt make it...wouldnt they ahve been contenders for the wlda shld  clda debate tooo!? :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »

Question...if they didnt make it...wouldnt they ahve been contenders for the wlda shld  clda debate tooo!? :beermug:

They made it. That's all that matters.  ;D
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 01:09:15 PM »

Class of 06 did something else that no other sporting team from T&T ever did as far as I can remember.

The amount of adversity they overcame to qualify is a testament to their mental strength.

The campaign was practically over 3 games into qualifying.  Losing at home to USA, tekkin wood in Guatemala, and drawing 0-0 at home with Costa Rica.  Then Beenie came on, we beat Panama at home and ended up catching the 4th qualifying spot which earned us a home and away against Bahrain.  Went down a goal to Bahrain, only to score a late equaliser.  Going to Bahrain we were still underdogs but ended up beating them 1-0 in their backyard to qualify.

T&T sports teams always had some measure of ability, but the mental strength to fight through adversity and emerge victorious was something that consistently eluded us until the class of 06.  It was manifested to all and sundry against Guatemala at home when we were down 2-1 and came back to win dramatically 3-2.  A must win game that we won.  And to get that 4th spot, we had to win our remaining games against Panama away and Mexico at home, and we did just that.

06 all the way.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:13:56 PM by palos »

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
correck is right! :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »

Class of 06 did something else that no other sporting team from T&T ever did as far as I can remember.

The amount of adversity they overcame to qualify is a testament to their mental strength.

The campaign was practically over 3 games into qualifying.  Losing at home to USA, tekkin wood in Guatemala, and drawing 0-0 at home with Costa Rica.  Then Beenie came on, we beat Panama at home and ended up catching the 4th qualifying spot which earned us a home and away against Bahrain.  Went down a goal to Bahrain, only to score a late equaliser.  Going to Bahrain we were still underdogs but ended up beating them 1-0 in their backyard to qualify.

T&T sports teams always had some measure of ability, but the mental strength to fight through adversity and emerge victorious was something that consistently eluded us until the class of 06.  It was manifested to all and sundry against Guatemala at home when we were down 2-1 and came back to win dramatically 3-2.  A must win game that we won.  And to get that 4th spot, we had to win our remaining games against Panama away and Mexico at home, and we did just that.

06 all the way.

Yeh they did the exact opposite of the 01/02 team. The Hex picture was exactly the same, 1 point from 3 games. In fact in 06, it was worse bcuz we lost our first home game to the US then get rout in Guatemala! As oopsed to two tough away matches then a very commendable draw with 10 men against Mexico.

But the 02 side capitulated, whereas the 06 side rallied.

That 06 team struggle thru semis, struggle to the hex. it was really the mental toughness that set them apart. Even in Germany that toughness showed.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
Well said Élan and arazi! That is what professionalism is about and we had a few real professionals on that 06 team!

Offline Yogi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
You know maybe some of you guys should try talking to some of the fellas who were on the 73 team, perhaps  then you will have more respect for that team. I mean, not all of the guys were pros, most were based in Trinidad and had day jobs. They used to have to train after work and apply for time off from their jobs for national duty. It was only later they were they excused for national duty without penalty, Coops will confirm this.
Things were so bad then, they could not exchange shirts with the other team because they had to use them again. Besides, any Trini team that could rest 4 goals on Mexico away from home is the best in my book.

I fortunate to know one of the members of that side and up to now, 38 years later you could hear the bitterness when he talk about that Haiti game. If that S..T had happen now, FIFA would have ordered a replay. The men score 5 goals on Haiti and the ref dissallow 4, blatant thief but they held their heads high. The Mexican coach walked over to Kevin Verity after the Mexico game and told him in broken English "you is the best players and the best team". Hell, even Mexicans know when to acknowledge a great team. So until a Trini team rest 5 unanswered against a Mexican side, the 73 boys is still the best. Who doh find so, SUCK SALT. ;D

Anyways even though the 73 team was the best, my personal favourite is the Strike Squad.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
You know maybe some of you guys should try talking to some of the fellas who were on the 73 team, perhaps  then you will have more respect for that team. I mean, not all of the guys were pros, most were based in Trinidad and had day jobs. They used to have to train after work and apply for time off from their jobs for national duty. It was only later they were they excused for national duty without penalty, Coops will confirm this.
Things were so bad then, they could not exchange shirts with the other team because they had to use them again. Besides, any Trini team that could rest 4 goals on Mexico away from home is the best in my book.

I fortunate to know one of the members of that side and up to now, 38 years later you could hear the bitterness when he talk about that Haiti game. If that S..T had happen now, FIFA would have ordered a replay. The men score 5 goals on Haiti and the ref dissallow 4, blatant thief but they held their heads high. The Mexican coach walked over to Kevin Verity after the Mexico game and told him in broken English "you is the best players and the best team". Hell, even Mexicans know when to acknowledge a great team. So until a Trini team rest 5 unanswered against a Mexican side, the 73 boys is still the best. Who doh find so, SUCK SALT. ;D

Anyways even though the 73 team was the best, my personal favourite is the Strike Squad.

All that's well and good. No one is discounting the commitment they had and whether or not they are good guys. We are talking about the best team on the field on paper.

Did the 73 team go to the WC?

1]; } ?>