April 24, 2024, 05:50:57 AM

Author Topic: Goalkeeper Tony Warner joins Phoenix  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Goalkeeper Tony Warner joins Phoenix
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:15:48 AM »
Goalkeeper Tony Warner joins Phoenix
wellingtonphoenix.com

Wellington Phoenix head coach Ricki Herbert ticked off another box today when he confirmed the signing of goalkeeper Tony Warner.

The Liverpool-born custodian comes to New Zealand with a wealth of experience under his belt and will provide competition for incumbent Mark Paston.

The 1.93m Warner joined Liverpool as a 16-year-old and spent nine years at the club but never made a first team appearance.

While with Liverpool Warner, 37, had loan spells at Swindon, Glasgow Celtic and Aberdeen before signing for Millwall in 1999 and making 200 first team appearances for the club.

Since leaving Millwall in 2004 Warner has played at Cardiff City and Fulham as well as having loan spells at Leeds United, Norwich City and Barnsley.

Last season he made 25 appearances for Tranmere Rovers.

Herbert said he was delighted to sign such an experienced goalkeeper and looked forward to him keeping Paston on his toes.

"One of the key ingredients that makes a club successful is competition for places," Herbert said.

"This season we are going to have some healthy battles for first team spots throughout the team.

"It will be good for Mark (Paston) to have someone so experienced to work with in training as well as keeping him on his toes.

"Mark is going really well now that he is over that bad run of injuries and the competition from Tony will do him no harm."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Goalkeeper always on the move
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »
Goalkeeper always on the move
By Hayden Meikle (Otago Daily Times)

One member of the Wellington Phoenix has travelled more miles than most on his way to Dunedin for tomorrow's football game. Otago Daily Times sports editor Hayden Meikle spoke to new signing Tony Warner.
Tony Warner has been on the books of 15 clubs, once called Anfield home, trained alongside Liverpool stars like John Barnes, Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman, and has even played international football for Trinidad and Tobago.

The 37-year-old goalkeeper arrived in New Zealand only on Wednesday and was struggling to suppress a yawn when he spoke to the Otago Daily Times yesterday.

But he was jolted into action last week, when he first heard of the opportunity to continue his career on the other side of the world.

"I got a phone call last Tuesday, asking if I would be interested in talking to the Phoenix," Warner said.

"I was lying in bed with the missus. The kids were jumping all over us. It was about 6am. And I just thought, why not?

"I'd been promised a contract elsewhere and that fell through. I was getting a bit frustrated."

Warner, who will be joined in Wellington by his girlfriend and two young children in a few weeks, had never previously been to New Zealand or Australia.

He has known Phoenix star Paul Ifill for a while - the pair played together at Millwall - and knew a little bit about the A-League.

"I've always kept in contact with Ifill. I've known him for about 12 years, I suppose.

"I also know a few other lads who have played in the A-League, and I've heard nothing but good reports about the competition."

Warner is the quintessential nomadic professional. Football has paid his bills but has also kept him on the move since he first joined Liverpool in 1994.

Asked to sum up his career, Warner opted for "eclectic" as the most appropriate term, delivered in a broad Scouse accent.

"It's been interesting, yeah," he said.

"I actually did accountancy when I was younger. Then I got my first professional contract with Liverpool when I was 20."

Warner grew up a fan of Everton but joining great rival Liverpool was still a thrilling and eye-opening experience.

His first manager was Graeme Souness, a legendary Reds player who won several European Cups and league titles, and his early team-mates included Barnes and Ian Rush.

Warner's closest friends were Jason McAteer and David Thompson, while a youngster emerging later in his time at Liverpool was Steven Gerrard.

For Warner, being at Liverpool was at once a satisfying and a frustrating time. He became permanently affixed to the bench, unable to displace No 1 keeper David James, even when "Calamity James" was going through a much-scrutinised rough patch.

"Jamo was a fantastic keeper. Possibly, when he made his mistakes, they were in high-profile games. For some reason, he came in for a lot of unfair stick.

"Jamo and I trained together every day, so we knew each other well."

Warner had a handful of loan spells while at Liverpool before deciding to leave Anfield in 1999.

"I was 25, so I wasn't considered a young player any more. There's a danger of your career slipping away if you are just content to be on the bench.

"I wanted to play. I wanted a career. So I opted to leave and I had a great spell at Millwall."

Warner later spent time at Fulham, Leeds, Norwich, Leicester and Sc**thorpe. His most recent spell was at Tranmere Rovers.

He said he still had a passion for football, and he hoped to play on for some time yet.

"You're a very lucky footballer if everything goes well for you. I've had setbacks. Maybe sometimes I didn't get as many opportunities as I would have liked. But you stick with it, you know.

"You're a long time retired. As long as I'm fit and able, my aim is to keep on playing."

The Phoenix roster already includes a fine veteran goalkeeper in All Whites World Cup hero Mark Paston.

Warner said his aim was simply to work hard and try to push for a place in the team. Off the field, he is looking forward to checking out his new base.

"I've talked to my girlfriend about it. We don't want to get lulled into, you know, spending days off watching the telly.

"We've come all this way. You want to get out and have a bit of a look around. I've always wanted to have a look at New Zealand, but it's just been too far away."

The Phoenix has an open training session at Forsyth Barr Stadium today, starting at 5.30pm. Tomorrow's pre-season game against the Brisbane Roar kicks off at the same time.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
Re: Goalkeeper Tony Warner joins Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:14:31 AM »
Interesting. Didn't know Warner was that old. Coincidentally, I recently played ball with a college player here in Boston who came from their youth team and is set to rejoin them after graduating.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keeper to make debut for Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:09:50 AM »
Keeper to make debut for Phoenix
wellingtonphoenix.com

Tony Warner will make his debut in goal for Wellington Phoenix against Melbourne Heart in a practice game at Shepparton tonight.

Warner was always going to play some part in the game but was promoted to the starting line up when Mark Paston felt a niggle in his groin during a morning training session.

Coach Ricki Herbert said pulling Paston out was a precautionary move.

“Mark could probably have played but it is no use taking chances at this point in our build up,” Herbert said.

“We are probably about half way through our pre-season and the players will have next week off as part of a maintenance programme.

“When we come back three of the players – Tony Warner, Paul Ifill and Manny Muscat - will be away on international duty so that is something else we will have to manage.

“It is great for the boys involved because it is always a proud moment when you are chosen to represent your country.”

Herbert said the Melbourne Heart game was the end of phase one of pre-season for the Phoenix. Phase two would start when the players returned from a week off.

“We will start again building up to the game against Central Coast Mariners in Tauranga {September 25) and then we will only be 10 days away from our opening game with Gold Coast.

“It is an incredibly long pre-season and one no footballer has had to deal with in the past.

“Each club will have dealt with it in their own way, and some will be ahead and some behind depending on the choices they have made.”

For Warner who only arrived in Wellington recently, the pre-season doesn’t seem so bad.

“I missed pre-season in England so with another six weeks or so to go it seems just about right to me,” the big keeper said.

“I’m really looking forward to playing against Heart. I was always going to play some part in the game but now I’ve got the chance to start.

“It will be interesting to see it from the sharp end rather than from the bench as I did against Brisbane.

“Looking at the game the standard in the A-League is good.

“I haven’t played since May which makes me look forward to it even more.”

Warner said he had made Trinidad officials aware of the fact he hadn’t played for a while, but they still selected him and he is just waiting for flight confirmation.

He expects to leave from Melbourne or Wellington in the next two days.
Trinidad will be playing Barbados, a side that includes his great mate Ifill.

“That will be interesting – if he gets selected,” Warner said with a laugh.

The Phoenix starting line up against Melbourne Heart at Deakin Reserve is: Tony Warner, Ben Sigmund, Andrew Durante, Bryan Bran, Tony Lochhead, Vince Lia, Manny Muscat, Tim Brown, Paul Ifill, Mirjan Pavlovic and Lucas Pantelis.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:20:44 AM »
Is warner the new goalkeeping Coach ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner brings wealth of UK club experience to Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Warner brings wealth of UK club experience to Phoenix
By Michael Burgess (New Zealand Herald)

For those that preach the value of patience in professional sport, new Phoenix goalkeeper Tony Warner provides a prime example.

In five years with Liverpool he didn't make a first team appearance but went on to a successful football career all over the UK.

Warner has no regrets about his time at Anfield.

After signing on as a 20-year-old in 1994 he went on to watch 120 games from the bench as back-up goalkeeper, earning the nickname 'Tony Bonus', for the win bonuses he collected as a non-playing substitute.

"It was great - even though I didn't get to play, it got me known in football circles and I managed to go out on loan a few times," says Warner.

"There are no regrets - obviously you would like to get some more games but it is still great to look back on Anfield."

While match days were tough, the experiences gained during training made it all seem worthwhile.

Legendary names such as Ian Rush, John Barnes, Steve Nicol and Ronnie Whelan were still there, while Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman were the next stars on the rise, followed by Michael Owen.

Warner learnt a lot from all of his team-mates but reserves special praise for Fowler, often regarded as the greatest natural finisher of his generation.

He scored more than 30 goals in each of his first three full seasons from 1994-1997, and Warner was privileged to see him at his peak.

"There were a lot of amazing players but Fowler was the standout," says Warner. "He was one of the most natural finishers ever to play the game. He was better than superb - he could score with either foot, score with his head, and score from any distance.

"When he got close enough to be within range - anywhere from 25 yards out - you knew you had to pull your socks up and be ready. He would always like to have a pop from distance. He could disguise his shot brilliantly, often had barely any backlift and had an amazing ability to hit the corners of the goal."

Owen was also a goalkeeper's nightmare, while Rush was the wily veteran who had seen it all.

"When Michael [Owen] started to come through the ranks, nobody had seen pace like it - he was lightning quick," remembers Warner. "He was unbelievably fast for a young lad. At the other end of the spectrum, you had Rush, who had more experience than anyone and spent a lot of time teaching the young lads coming through."

After five years with his hometown club, punctuated by loan deals at Celtic, Aberdeen and Swindon, Warner moved to Millwall in 1999.

"It was a good time for me to go," says Warner. "I was 25 and didn't want to be seen as an out-and-out reserve keeper because sometimes you may not get another chance."

Warner enjoyed the best years of his footballing life with the Lions, appearing in over 200 matches as the team reached an FA Cup Final (vs Manchester United in 2004), won promotion from the old division two and came within a few games of making the Premier League.

Based in southeast London, 'the Den' is one of the toughest places to play in Britain, partly due to their notoriously passionate fans.

"It is a true working class club and the fans are very vocal," remembers Warner. "Opposing fans and players didn't like coming down to the Den and sometimes it felt like you had a voodoo sign over some teams.

"I would get phone calls from mates in other teams asking about the atmosphere and I would say - 'you will get hammered from the time you get off the bus to the end of the match'."

Tim Cahill, Teddy Sheringham, Dennis Wise and Tony Cascarino are some of the notable players to represent Millwall in recent times, while Phoenix team-mate Paul Ifill spent several years at Millwall and provided Warner's link to the club. With the Wellington club getting the seal of approval from Ifill, Warner was quick to make up his mind when the Phoenix offer came.

"You can dwell on these things and invariably they can go away," says Warner. "If you don't make a decision, the decision can be made for you and sometimes somebody else steps into your place."

Warner knows all about the merry-go-round that is British professional football.

Since his Liverpool days he has represented Swindon (loan), Celtic (loan), Aberdeen (loan), Millwall, Cardiff, Fulham, Leeds (loan), Norwich (loan), Barnsley (loan), Hull City, Leicester City (loan), Charlton Athletic, Leeds United, Sc**thorpe United and Tranmere Rovers, sometimes for just a month at a time.

It is yet to be seen if he will make the impact of previous signings Liam Reddy and Danny Vukovic but Warner proves essential back-up and experience behind Mark Paston, who has had injury problems in recent times.

As the Phoenix enter the second half of their pre-season campaign this week, both Warner and Ifill are away on international duty - and set to play against each other. Warner will play for Trinidad against Ifill's Barbados in a Concacaf Fifa World Cup qualifier on Wednesday.

"That will be interesting - if he gets selected," laughs Warner, of the match in Bridgetown, Barbados.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
why the hell we have such an old keeper starting for us again  ???

and please dont say for experience cuz last friday it looked like it was his first game
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scouse joker could start for Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
Scouse joker could start for Phoenix
By Sam Worthington (stuff.co.nz)

He was introduced to the waiting media contingent as Tony Warner, goalkeeper and comedian, and he didn't disappoint.

The 37-year-old is poised to make his Wellington Phoenix debut against the Newcastle Jets on Sunday as Mark Paston struggles with a small abdominal tear.

Warner has 21 years of experience in the English leagues, where he started as a youngster with Liverpool but never played a first-team game.

He also brings with him a Scouse accent thicker than treacle which raises the question of whether the Phoenix's Antipodean defenders could understand what he was saying.

"Yeah they've had about eight weeks of it now so they're fluent in Scouse," Warner said.

"Maybe I'm kind of a trailblazer, try and get some more Scousers over here, we'll wait and see. What you've got to remember is I speak English and it's a far-flung place from England this, so you might not understand English quite as quickly as we have. But no, it's not a problem, everyone likes a bit of a laugh and I get a bit of a ribbing over it and stuff."

Certain language is universal and Warner confirmed that if a team-mate did happen to be confused, raising the decibel levels a few notches could clear things up.

"It's more tone, if you're shouting and barking orders, you're not doing it for nothing really. I remember when I was a kid I got told off for not shouting and talking so I just made sure I didn't get told off again. So I just started shouting a lot."

Warner is a former Millwall team-mate of Paul Ifill and most recently played for Tranmere Rovers, Chris Greenacre's old club.

He was impressed by the quality of goalkeeping in the A-League although some of the outfield tactics had left him a little baffled.

"The standard's quite good, I mean it's different from the English leagues in the way that I think the players over-pass to a fault sometimes, I think ... It's a lot of passing, passing around and maybe not getting the ball forward as quickly as we do in England."

Phoenix coach Ricki Herbert said he would wait until Sunday to make a call on who started in goal at Westpac Stadium.

Warner had played just one preseason game, against Melbourne Heart, but Herbert drew confidence from his vast experience.

"I think he'll relish the chance if he gets it."

1]; } ?>