Is it good or bad.

Yes its bad
2 (8%)
No its not
5 (20%)
It Depends
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Playing players out of position.  (Read 5117 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Playing players out of position.
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:52:45 AM »
Why foreign coach does feel they could come here and do what they want ?, now, I for one prefer a foreign coach because them locals does whine and cry to much and they dont like to improve themselves as coaches, they dont like to do homework either.

But some of these foreign coach does get me sah...

This is not Africa, South America or Europe where they have an abundance of talent to choose from.

We have de talent but not de program.

You mean Otto Pfister believe that we MOST attacking player Carlos Edwards is a left back ? so if we come of of this group, he go make Mexico and Costa Rica poison we.

We have no left footers who play on we starting team ? (Adams, Pacheco, Collin Samuel, Joevin Jones, Noel Williams, Bentick, Javed Mohammed, Kevon Neaves  ,,,nobody could make de team) ?

Ah cant wait for Jlloyd Samuel to come back..... but ah worried, we always need back up...

I cant get de memory of Anthony Wolfe game as a right back against USA, how they toy him out off meh head.

Mr Otto, you do not use important games to experiment.

So far, Otto look decent as a coach and I like how he is de only coach so far to take a chance and put Keon in de center of we midfield, but come on Otto.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:41:41 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Playing players out of position.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »
I don't understand yuh frustration.  Doesn't Carlos play right back fuh Ipswich and he have a left foot?  Fuh pete's sake man he is a professional and he plays where the coach asks.  That's what committment is. 

Regarding Anthony Wolfe, I was at that game in Nashville but I also saw Cyd Gray shit down he self in a game against CR and tallman play tata against Canada, so one game don't make the man good or bad.

As fuh left back, I believe Jlloyd Samuel is the solution but he some issues to resolve.

All this to say relax nah.  We have 6 points out of 6.  Wham you is chicken little o' wha?
Arimian to meh heart

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »
I disagree that Carlos is our most attacking player. Maybe 2-3 years ago, but not anymore.

Also, I must ask...if Pfister had put him at right back, would you have had the same issue? Because Carlos has played at right back quite a few times for T&T, and as far as i'm aware he also plays there for Ipswich. So to me, it's really not that big a deal. Right back really not that different to left back....same duties, just on the other side of the field.

I just see it as Pfister finding a way to get his best players on the field.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
The idea of converting players, or enhancing a player's versatility by using him in more than one area of the field is nothing new...that's football.  It's a way of increasing depth without adding to the roster, and for some players it's even lengthened their career.

I with Arimaman on this one - Sam yuh need tuh relax. 

If we can't afford to "experiment" against Bermuda and Barabados, we in real trouble. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
Fellas, allyuh not understanding meh..

I am happy we have 6 points, I looking at down de road.

We need a solid left back, leave Carlos on the wing, either wing.

And if allyuh cool with experimenting with we opening two games, then that is fine, because really and truly Otto didn't get no games to prepare he team, thanks to de TTFF.

Time go tell though..

I still dont like the idea of Carlos in left back !!! but we go see.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:20:44 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »
I with arimaman on dis also  as well as the other 3 subsequent posts because they all made sense.
Leh we wait for otto to really make a mistake before we cry Shame because so far, de man just being a coach. If anything, I would rather see our players suck it up and try their best in whatever position the coach need them at this junction. De coach clearly say that every game is a different game and as we proceed things will be made more clinical.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:25:33 AM »

I still dont like the idea of Carlos in left back !!! but we go see.

I agree it's not ideal, but yuh know how these long campaigns go - depth and flexibility is a good thing - getting Carlos comfortable in the LB position could prove to be a blessing in disguise.  I think the problem is that he looked very uncomfortable there his first time out, so ppl were concerned...Let's see if he grows into it.  

As yuh say, we go see...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »
I happy with the results, but I also not a big fan of Carlos at LB.

I doh mind trying players in different positions but the players have to have the attributes to adapt to the position.

For example, when we were short of right back cover in Germany and subsequent to that, we could have put Carlos there because he is defensively sound and he is fast going up the wing and tracking back.

That said, to play someone out of position at left back the key requirement is that they need to be fully confident with the left foot and that is not what I saw from Carlos in the Bermuda game and it showed. He kept cutting inside to favor his right and that narrows the field and upsets the formation. Furthermore, i not really keen on wasting our best right sided player out on the left.

All said though, I think having to chook him there is more an indictment of our left back situation than on the coach or anything else, it says we don't have one good left back in the country who could come in and do a job.

Jlloyd Samuel gonna be key.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:38 AM »
Those who have SEEN the youthman Joevin Jones play at LB, what are your thoughts on him?

I agree w/most posters above BTW, no issue w/CE playing there if we have difficulty filling that role w/JLS unavailable, particularly if at RB we have decent (AW) options...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:36:37 AM »
I happy with the results, but I also not a big fan of Carlos at LB.

I doh mind trying players in different positions but the players have to have the attributes to adapt to the position.

For example, when we were short of right back cover in Germany and subsequent to that, we could have put Carlos there because he is defensively sound and he is fast going up the wing and tracking back.

That said, to play someone out of position at left back the key requirement is that they need to be fully confident with the left foot and that is not what I saw from Carlos in the Bermuda game and it showed. He kept cutting inside to favor his right and that narrows the field and upsets the formation. Furthermore, i not really keen on wasting our best right sided player out on the left.

All said though, I think having to chook him there is more an indictment of our left back situation than on the coach or anything else, it says we don't have one good left back in the country who could come in and do a job.

Jlloyd Samuel gonna be key.
Maybe that is what the coach asked of him ::)
Live large and prosper!

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:39:56 AM »
relax pro league starting Friday the coach will be at the games at he will unearth new talents so he should be better equipped for the games in October big double header Friday too 5pm NE VS T&TEC and 7pm Cale vs DF Marvin Lee Stadium

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »
relax pro league starting Friday the coach will be at the games at he will unearth new talents so he should be better equipped for the games in October big double header Friday too 5pm NE VS T&TEC and 7pm Cale vs DF Marvin Lee Stadium

A sobering thought dey Palmer. On another note, I find the team seem to be a little more friendly toward each other than in the past. Like one unit. Dont know if dat is Otto or KJ but someone got the team heart beating together. Now they have to play together more and everything will be everything.
Blast from the past...  Latas and yorke moving in de rover and everybody else in the team bus. Talk about team cohesion!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:45 AM »
guys remember, the coach haven't seen these players in action at a international level. so putting players in there incorrect positions is for the the coach to analysis the players ability. i believe the players knows there roles. and the next game they will do better.  

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 07:46:15 AM »
But a right-footed man on a left...enables you to cut in and slap with yuh stronger foot.

But is primary school or wha...the man is a professional. If he cannot play with both feet competently he does not deserve to be on a national football team, Or any pro team for that matter.

JJloyd is d man to hold down that spot and will be there by the next round.

Sam...Carlos real slow down...he ent have it like before. It might be better he sit back and tackle than play he running line, losing ball and cyar recover.

Joevin Jones ent stand out for me when he was under Latapy...and that was the same calibre of opposition.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »
I forget I was going and make ah thread on this topic...

it was going to be... "WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL WITH CARLOS PLAYING LEFT BACK?"

Maybe I biased... because I am right footed and I grow up playing left back and right back predominantly...
i also played stopper... and later on started playing left and right wing which is where i play now... I can also play up front... I does also goalkeep... because I is ah ball peong... and I believe anybody who have ambitions to play top level ball should understand every position and be at least capable at it, notwithstanding physical limitations.

Now I played against Carlos Edwards and I distinctly remember my coach switching me from left to right to help neutralize Carlos for st anthony's because he was playing on de left!! he used to switch too but he was coming down de left!!
De man is athletic and have all de tools to play ah wing back... so his left foot may not be his strongest asset but it is capable and he has de awareness and football brain to compensate on dat side... and get de job done

At de end of de day, I would prefer Carlos elsewhere eh... but in 2006 Avery John get a red card and Cyd Grey had to go over and excel at left back... what we go do when we in a tight spot against Mexico in de Azteca and J'lloyd get a red or injured and we done make all we subs?

Edit: I vote "it depends" btw

Also I don't believe Carlos at left back is an experiment... he was asked to do a job
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:48:44 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 07:53:49 AM »
The idea of converting players, or enhancing a player's versatility by using him in more than one area of the field is nothing new...that's football.  It's a way of increasing depth without adding to the roster, and for some players it's even lengthened their career.

If we can't afford to "experiment" against Bermuda and Barabados, we in real trouble. 

Precisely.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »

Precisely.

EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
Any coach taking over a squad holds the prerogative of aligning players as he or she sees fit regardless of what occurred under prior management. What's so difficult about that?

Coaching is an art, it's not an exact science ... although there are some "scientific" tools that help the process along.

If rigidity and orthodox wisdom were the order of the day, a Jose Luis Chilavert free kick or a Rogerio Ceni free kick would never have become part of the collective institutional wisdom of football. Similarly, there was a time when it was unorthodox to play a predominantly left-footed player on the right. Once the benefits of that became apparent, the naysayers grew to silence. There are other examples of innovation.

Leh we let coachman do he wuk nah. Any coach getting paid $45-50K a month should be able to flex in the interest of us getting our $$$'s worth.

Thus far the most "revolutionary" thing Otto has done is to begin to unify what was not too long ago a disheveled, tattered national shame AND to neutralize any rumblings of rebellion and discontent. Other than that, at this stage, any purported reconfiguring of players is not revolutionary.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
Allyuh making me feel sorry for the coach. We only had one practice game before Ber. and B'dos. He is not experimenting. This is for real guys. Real deal. Carlos is a pro. If he is not up to it, the coach should find someone else. But the choices are very few. Just remember he getting advice from his assistance coaches.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
To be fair, we don't know what Pfisters long term plans are for the team. I know he's interested in Kevaughan Connell on the left and Samuel could play there too. But remember, when you have a small squad, which we have, players need to interchange.

Lets say Samuel starts at left back and pulls a hamstring....Carlos can slot straight in. Also, by Carlos cutting inside from the left, this leaves space for a wideman to exploit. If he plays straight up the line, your wideman must cut inside. Another benefit of cutting inside is that it creates a two wing option, with the wide left man and the central midfielder moving wide right.

Running in direct lines reduces your ability to create diagonal movement, which is the most potent way of getting behind defenders.

Finally, right footed left backs tend to show their opponent inside so they can tackle easier. This reduces their crossing options and forces them into traffic.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »
To be fair, we don't know what Pfisters long term plans are for the team. I know he's interested in Kevaughan Connell on the left and Samuel could play there too. But remember, when you have a small squad, which we have, players need to interchange.

Lets say Samuel starts at left back and pulls a hamstring....Carlos can slot straight in. Also, by Carlos cutting inside from the left, this leaves space for a wideman to exploit. If he plays straight up the line, your wideman must cut inside. Another benefit of cutting inside is that it creates a two wing option, with the wide left man and the central midfielder moving wide right.

Running in direct lines reduces your ability to create diagonal movement, which is the most potent way of getting behind defenders.

Finally, right footed left backs tend to show their opponent inside so they can tackle easier. This reduces their crossing options and forces them into traffic.

His long term plans would emerge if he gets paid. 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »

Maybe I biased... because I am right footed and I grow up playing left back and right back predominantly...
i also played stopper... and later on started playing left and right wing which is where i play now... I can also play up front... I does also goalkeep... because I is ah ball peong... and I believe anybody who have ambitions to play top level ball should understand every position and be at least capable at it, notwithstanding physical limitations.

Now I played against Carlos Edwards and I distinctly remember my coach switching me from left to right to help neutralize Carlos for st anthony's because he was playing on de left!! he used to switch too but he was coming down de left!!
De man is athletic and have all de tools to play ah wing back... so his left foot may not be his strongest asset but it is capable and he has de awareness and football brain to compensate on dat side... and get de job done

At de end of de day, I would prefer Carlos elsewhere eh... but in 2006 Avery John get a red card and Cyd Grey had to go over and excel at left back... what we go do when we in a tight spot against Mexico in de Azteca and J'lloyd get a red or injured and we done make all we subs?

Also I don't believe Carlos at left back is an experiment... he was asked to do a job

good post  :beermug:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
storm in a teacup.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »

I remember having a discussion with an old footballer from Diego Martin (a fella dey used to call Che) who remembers watching Carlos play as a youngster and him telling me that Carlos is actually a leftie. And I remember seeing him switching wings from time to time since he was at Sunderland.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
I don't understand yuh frustration.  Doesn't Carlos play right back fuh Ipswich and he have a left foot?  Fuh pete's sake man he is a professional and he plays where the coach asks.  That's what committment is. 

Regarding Anthony Wolfe, I was at that game in Nashville but I also saw Cyd Gray shit down he self in a game against CR and tallman play tata against Canada, so one game don't make the man good or bad.

As fuh left back, I believe Jlloyd Samuel is the solution but he some issues to resolve.

All this to say relax nah.  We have 6 points out of 6.  Wham you is chicken little o' wha?

Just remember that Carlos shot to prominence playing as a full back for Luton Town.  He is older now, so he may not have that energy as five years ago, but he was doing OK defensively and still getting forward and scoring playing that way for Luton.  Gullit was a big midfielder and finished his career playing as a sweeper for Chelsea, so nothing is wrong with the conversion.  It's usually the quality players that are able to make that sort of transition later in their playing careers.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 11:00:21 AM »

I remember having a discussion with an old footballer from Diego Martin (a fella dey used to call Che) who remembers watching Carlos play as a youngster and him telling me that Carlos is actually a leftie. And I remember seeing him switching wings from time to time since he was at Sunderland.

vidale and them other relics in the broadcast booth talking nonsense, they can't compare themselves with pfister's experience and achievements, they are insecure.

pfister is developing a team that is versatile and is also experimenting against the weaker sides in the wcq.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:56:08 PM by Controversial »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »
Carlos is a versatile player and can handle that role this rounds of WCQ

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »

Just remember that Carlos shot to prominence playing as a full back for Luton Town.  He is older now, so he may not have that energy as five years ago, but he was doing OK defensively and still getting forward and scoring playing that way for Luton.  Gullit was a big midfielder and finished his career playing as a sweeper for Chelsea, so nothing is wrong with the conversion.  It's usually the quality players that are able to make that sort of transition later in their playing careers.

Solid point I saw the conversion with Matthaus as well

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
what about playing bad players "IN" position ??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
what about playing bad players "IN" position ??
:D

That too! If the coach is good enough to get rid of all bad players "IN" any position even on the bench we will do just fine!!

A good player by definition is versatile and can always adapt and play decent in most positions! :beermug:

Guess our player pool and right selection by the coach of the best available players is the key here!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:07:52 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>