April 25, 2024, 02:17:08 PM

Author Topic: PATRIOT Match Report for Barbados vs T&T  (Read 4906 times)

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PATRIOT Match Report for Barbados vs T&T
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Ok so as I landed in Bim, my first interaction was with an Immigration officer who looking at my form, asked me "What SPORT you come to Barbados for?" well I nearly dead wid laugh  :rotfl: then I replied "YOU all are hosting us in a World Cup Qualifier this after noon"... her response... "Barbados does still play football???" So right away the vibes wasn't too good fuh the home team! As I meandered around Bridgetown, there was NOTHING to indicate the country had a game in under 7 hours time! THANKS to T&T Manager Peter Rampersad and Shaun Fuentes for my match ticket  :beermug:

Skip to the afternoon and I swear the Maxi drivers in Barbados MUST have TRINI ROOTS!!! Man peeling thru "roads" as large as the Lanes in Belmont! The one taking me to the game was VERY efficient tho...when we hit some traffic, he managed to find some back-road in between an unpaved trace, a car-park and some fig trees in a yard that made sure I was able to comfortably arrive at the game 1/2 hour before kick-up..now I accustom travelling to see games and this is the FIRST time I ever walk into a grounds and with the match about to kick-off and the stadium EMPTY... and this is NO exaggeration eh.... besides the security, the media present, and the players on the field warmin up, there were appoximately 10-15 fans there... and the Barbados National stadium is VERY small with three stands on the southern side of the pitch... two uncovered on either side of the covered section I was in. The field had been cut ( I would later learn from the Manager that it was done AFTER we had our last trainng session... AND that we were only allowed ONE football to practice with)... their ATTEMPT at some gamesmanship!

Shaun Fuentes gave me the starting line-up and it came as no surprise given the selection from Friday Phillips in for Warner, Keon in for Hyland and Leon in for Stern... so I thought Roberts was startin up top with KJ, but as the match kicked off I realised Roberts was playing the same left-midfield role he was looking SO bad in vs Bermuda... so we were actually lined up as a 4-5-1  ??? However in the first few minutes we began to push them back and the diffrence in quality was glaring... an errant back pass by the Bajan right-back was easily intercepted by Jones and he pushed, let fly and BOOM... overbar... now this occurred JUST AFTER an incident (unseen/unpunished by the ref) where KJ appeared to have been kicked in the face by his marker and stayed down for quite a while... THAT miss would be the start of a bad sequence of missed opportunites from the Captain! With T&T dominating tho, it seemed like only a matter of time, and sure enough it arrived in the form of a volley from Keon Daniel in emphatic style!!! Now the thing is, the way the shot hit under the bar, bounced and came out, I delayed my celebration because I remember T&T had a similar shot vs Bermuda disallowed when it looked a sure goal to me... but not this time.. we were up 1-0 and the Bajan heads dropped... they were there for the taking, but we squandered MANY an opportunity... KJ, again with a one on one with the keeper, over-pushed ad ran the ball out trying to rounds him...then again later on he chose to pass off the responsibilty to Keon, whose attempted chip of the keeper was easily caught...but props to Kenwyne!!! His feet might have been failing to deliver, but he had a brilliant header that had GOOOOOAL written all over it, when the lil Bajan keeper flung himself to his left and parried it for a corner. Tinto, Birchall and even an over-lapping Wolfe had shots either wide or over one after the other...Up to this point Marvin Phillips was pretty much a spectator...and we ended the half 1-0 but could easily have been ahead by 2 or 3 more.

In the second half, an interesting thing happened, the stadium filled up... some men even taking in the action for free, pirched on a hill just opposite the western side of the stadium...this also coincided with Barbados slowly beginning to creep their way back into the game, and even won their first CORNER... Birchall was lucky not to be booked as he was forced into some fouls and with our slender 1-0 lead I began to worry about dropped points on the road.. but Marvin Phillips made a few excellent saves and all credit to Julius and Power they really held the backline together!!! Carlos was also asserting himself much earlier on, as no captain's armband effect was needed this time around ;D... strangely Wolfe was NOT tested by the Bajans, but THAT might have more to do with Tinto's mazy runs keeping their  left-back "home" whereas Roberts was still looking out to sea wide left for us, resulting in more attacks by the Bajans on our left... with the work-load taking it's toll, Hyland who had been warming up for nearly 20 mins came on for Birchy and while he looked much sharper than against Bermuda, his contributions were few and far between..one of them would contribute to T&T's 2nd item, bringing the ball into the area, it was chipped onto the head of Jones who direced it into the path of Roberts who fighting off the Bajan keeper and 2 defenders eventually  scrambled the ball over the line.. 2-0 T&T... and a welcome relief for the small bunch of Trini fans present! Marvin would pull off a phenomenal reflex save from a powerful shot just inside the box, and preserve our clean sheet... next up... Enter Lester Peltier! He's what I would call an IMPACT player, and while not yet the finshed article, he always lights up the field with his speed and dribbling... but he's clearly second in line behind Tinto whom he replaced. But a useful weapon to have as a 2nd half sub. Other than one free kick which KJ took instead of Daniel (much to my dismay) that again was high and wide of the mark, and another from Keon himself which bended beautifully but lacked the pace to trouble the Bajan goalie there wasn't much else to talk about... EXCEPT the entrance of BLEEDER... who was laughing and chatting with the 4th official as he handed in his number ( wish I could read lips, but even without that gift, I suspect the conversation may have gone something like this "Buh de game goin an blow off now, tha coach is a real wicked fella to do you that maaan", with Denzil replying "Tha's OK, just by me stepping on the field it means I get a bigger pay packet ;D ;D ;D")... the match blew off less than a minute later with Denzil failing to touch a ball...

So here's my Player rankings:-

Marvin Phillip 8 - DEF our first choice, barring injury/suspension...he looked sharp and decisive, and with the Pro-league beginning this week, he will get his match-fitness up to speed... but I want to see him SERIOUSLY tested... perhaps table topping Guyana will provide that in November

Julius James 7 - I had my doubts about him, but he's looked VERY solid in his first two WCQ's - wins a lot of balls in the air, is confidant and reads the game well! Also comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Seon Power 6 - Is one of the most improved players on the team! BUT... still goes to ground TOO much, he got left out that way a few times and had to be bailed out by recovery runs from Julius, Keon (YES KEON!!!) and Leon...he's a fighter tho, but I can see him losing his spot to Primus/Cyrus when they return from injury.

Carlos Edwards 6.5 - Showed he is STILL a class act with grace, poise and control on the ball, however playing left-back and constantly having to switch the ball to his right to deliver a cross or pass limits his contributions... I expect he will revert to right-back once J Lloyd is back in the squad.

Anthony Wolfe 6 - Now I love this fella's PASSION, much like Power, he 's a fighter and having spoken to him one on one I know he always gives his all wherever he's asked to play, but IMHO he will NEVER be a right-back... and everytime he steps on the field in that role, I get flashbacks on the 3-0 in Nashville when he debuted in that position... hopefully SOMEBODY will remember this man was the PFL's LEADING GOAL SCORER 3-4 seasons ago and play him as a STRIKER...in THIS game tho, he made some over-lapping runs and even had a decent shot on goal, his versatility is an asset, one I think we are currently wasting/abusing.

Clyde Leon 7 - I was never a fan of his, but his time in Columbia is paying off, and it shows in his play! He played the role of defensive midfielder PERFECTLY, providing cover whenever our defenders went up for corners or wing-backs over-lapped, he never strayed and broke up several Bajan attacks, simply laying the ball off to Keon/Birchall, or spreading it to Tinto... I spoke to him briefly and he REALLY WANTS TO MAKE IT TO BRAZIL... another WARRIOR in the making!

Keon Daniel 7.5 -  He's a CHANGED man... while NOT having the kind of impact in central midfield as many felt he would, that being his  "natural" position, I saw him tackling back, and his overall work-rate that was lacking last time around is UP..WAAAY UP!!! With his free kick ability and the goal, MY MOTM!!!

Christopher Birchall 6.5 - STILL a fighter, STILL has a tremendous shot, but something is missing, he doesn't seem quite as sharp, but his passing has improved tremendously and given more freedom to make those surging runs from mid-field, he's a mainstay of this team! Also he delivers some decent dead-ball free kicks when given the oportunity.

Hayden Tinto 6.5 - Improves with every game but his height (or lack thereof) hinders him...still he has an excellent first touch and when on song can really terrorize a defence with his speed and dribbling. Tends to make errors in judgement where passing is concerned tho.

Darryl Roberts 6 - Ditto what I said for Wolfe above... he looks poor out on the left, and when he scored yesterday it was only AFTER he'd moved up to his natural striker position, but even so he was caught off-side more than 5 times in the game... needs to step up! Yet despite all this, he's just scored 3 goals over 3 matches...go figure!

Kenwyn Jones 6.5 - Assisted on the 2nd goal, had  that magnificent header attempt but on the ground his finishing was disappointing to say the least! I would want to believe the poor field conditions played a part since this is a FAR cry than the EPL grounds he's accustomed to week-in week out... he too needs to step up, and lead from in front...LITERALLY... the ability is there, but his HEART must be in it equally!!!

Overall, I'm willing to give Pfister a bly, and not call for his head like I heard Ken Butcher was doing. BUT, he seems set on staying with the formation and selection, based on these 2 games, and I have problems with some of the choices (Roberts/Wolfe) in the positions he's playing them, as I see them as disasters waiting to happen!!! But the team WILL get better as we progress, ad there are some positives:-

Keon is back taking free kicks

the line up is staying relatively the same, which makes the job of gelling easier as we move on

Based on selections so far, we will have a stronger bench down the road as players will have had experience playing in previously unfamiliar roles

I DO question the fact that Boucoud and Thompson never saw ANY playing time, as I would have liked to see what either could offer!!!

Finally,I bounced into Tony Warner this morning at the airport and told him about the forum... so he promised to visit...hope he survives the experience!!!

Until the next game...PATRIOT out!

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: PATRIOT Match Report for Barbados vs T&T
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
Thanks for the report  :beermug:
Finally,I bounced into Tony Warner this morning at the airport and told him about the forum... so he promised to visit...hope he survives the experience!!!
Maybe not a good idea after what people on here were saying after the Barbados game  :-[

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:20:14 PM »
Been years since i read one of your reports Patriot. Nice 

:beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »
Thanx Patriot.. Nice read..

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
You give Keon man of the match but you give Marvin an 8 and Keon a 7.5 even though Marvin was a spectator for most parts. ?

Thanks for the report however.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:31:33 PM by Flex »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »
Welcome back Patriot thanks for the report ... good stuff.
Defensively I can see Julius starting with Primus and Carlos switching to the right back when we man from England get his contract situation sorted out.
I like Roberts hope he get accustommed to that left sided midfield role!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
Nice report Patriot.. bless.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »

Lord you want to man to quit football all together now  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »
thanks you very much sir
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
niceness...:beermug:

you wicked to set Warner up like that though!
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »

Lord you want to man to quit football all together now  :devil:

ENT he even tell d coach 2 check we out
thanks you very much sir

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »

;D
Hope he doesn't visit the forum. Otherwise, he'll back his bag and head back to NZ. He needs more time off the bench back in NZ to regain the respect that many on this forum had for him.

Thanks for all the detail Patriot!

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »
You give Keon man of the match but you give Marvin an 8 and Keon a 7.5 even though Marvin was a spectator for most parts. ?

Thanks for the report however.
YEP! As a goalkeeper, when you don't have much to do and then suddenly get called into action, it's easy to get caught napping, he DIDN'T and THAT kind of performance often makes the difference between a win and a draw or a draw and a win... Keon not only SCORED, but he made more overall contributions throughtout the 90 mins - corners/free-kicks etc... but I hope you get to see Marvin's save!!! It was truly outstanding!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
Good stuff Patriot.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »
Thanks Patriot.

Wish that Otto uses Power where he is best, as a right wing back. As we big up some of the players getting to play now, we have to imagine that any one of these "crucial" players like Julius James could get injured and we must envision a deep bunch that could make ANY top player replaceable without the team suffering from their absence. The show must go on. So how about searching for at least 2-3 top players per spot. If some players get their fitness up, how about ....

Keepers: Marvin, Warner, Holder, Kelvin Jack (hope he can make a comeback somehow later in the campaign) and Jan

R Wing Back: Power, Wolfe
Stoppers L: Julius, Bateau.
Stoppers R: Primus, Cyrus
L Wing Back: JL Samuel, Adams

R Midfield: Tinto, Carlos, Jake
R Def Mid: Birchall, Leon, Boucaud.
L Def Mid: Theobald, Hyland
L Midfield: Keon, Hector

Special Attacking Mid: Toussaint, Molino.

R striker: Roberts, Baptiste, Jorsling
L Striker: Jones, Stern, Colin Samuel

Daiz 31 players right dey. Obviously dis is not quite a formation as it is listed as 4-4-2 with an extra pool of attacking-mid players. Would be good to hear some opinions.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:49:14 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
i wonder if the coach is planning something and we don't know what going to happen in the next few games. it's going to be a surprise !!!!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »
Thanks Patriot :beermug: Respect!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »
 Thanx patriot, sad tuh hear that darryl is not making much of this opportunity, hope the coach continues to put faith in him since in the coaches post game interview he said that no player played badly.  thanx again.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 03:52:02 AM »
Excellent report Brian!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »
Thanx patriot, sad tuh hear that darryl is not making much of this opportunity, hope the coach continues to put faith in him since in the coaches post game interview he said that no player played badly.  thanx again.

He is scoring tho, so that counts.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:25 AM »

Yeh i know, but as yuh well see, the last two coaches didn't think much of him even when he saved pancho's hide in the return leg in bermuda when we were facing elimination.hope pfister persist on him and play him in his natural position.

i think him and KJ can form ah real goal scoring bond, since he fits better with KJ than scotty and stern.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
we can use a fit and re focused Slivio Spann... utilty players are crucial
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
great report!  Thanks Patriot!  :beermug:

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »

Yeh i know, but as yuh well see, the last two coaches didn't think much of him even when he saved pancho's hide in the return leg in bermuda when we were facing elimination.hope pfister persist on him and play him in his natural position.

i think him and KJ can form ah real goal scoring bond, since he fits better with KJ than scotty and stern.

I hope Otto sticks with him too because just like u I believe that's the best combo upfront.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 12:16:30 PM »
nice report but socawarriors.net need a banner for games so that everyone knows this forum is here.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »
nice report but socawarriors.net need a banner for games so that everyone knows this forum is here.

thats actually a god idea

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »
after dat 1st miss by KJ I will have tell him thank you for the evening find a seat and siddung....

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »

thats actually a good idea
thx, many ppl dont know this forum exists and we cant rely on patriot etc to advertise for we lol although its apprieciated  :)

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »
start using facebook as a media to get ppl into the forum....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »

We had a huge banner in the past but I don't know what has come of it after it was sent down to Trinidad to be used, displayed by supporters down there at our games/events!!

There should be some pictures of supporters at games/events in the UK with the banner on TheWarriorNation.com website!  I'm sure Tallman should be able to find them and post them here.

Seriously that banner was a very professional advert for SocaWarriors.net and the Soca Warriors Supporters Club!
When we had it here in the UK we made good use of it but since it was sent down to T&T I have never seen it displayed at any games or events ever since!

We should have had at least 3 banners made rather than just one, so one could have been kept in the UK for use in Europe, one in America and the third in T&T for use thru out the Caribbean!

Whoever has got the single banner we sent down to T&T lying somewhere in their house should locate it and give it back to the active members who attend games and events!

It’s of no use to anyone rolled up lying in someone's house or maybe the last person who had it lost it, who knows!

That banner was the bess but where is it and who has it?!!!  :-\
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:01:14 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>