April 24, 2024, 10:04:54 PM

Author Topic: Missed chance  (Read 5171 times)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Missed chance
« on: September 08, 2011, 04:17:51 AM »
Missed chance
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

It was an opportunity lost by Trinidad and Tobago to put a handful of goals on both Bermuda and Barbados, and so give themselves breathing room in their Group B CONCACAF Zone second round World Cup qualifying series.

Just one of the four competing teams will advance to the third round. With a 1-0 home win over Bermuda and a 2-0 victory on the road over Barbados, the Soca Warriors lead the group with a maximum six points. Guyana, who edged Bermuda 2-1 on Tuesday night also have a maximum six points.

There is the feeling that T&T failed to distance themselves further by squandering many scoring chances against Barbados. According to the results in their two tricky matches against Guyana, those misses might hurt the Soca Warriors later in the series.

"We should have scored at least five goals," T&T assistant- coach Anton Corneal said after the Barbados match on Tuesday night. "We now have to go to Bermuda for what could be a tough return game, and they still have it in their heads that they beat us once during the last campaign."

T&T's German head-coach Otto Pfister  was pleased to have picked up full points irregardless.

"It's not easy playing away but today I thought we played again a little bit better. Today I changed the organisation and we started with a 4-3-3 formation with Phillip, Clyde (Leon) and (Keon) Daniel coming into the first team. We dominated the game.

"Last Sunday Kenwyne Jones scored and today he gave the last two passes for the goals. I am satisfied with the performance. Now we have six points but we have to work very seriously for the next set of matches because we have to top this group and we need to stay unbeaten."

Coach Pfister added: "We had a good mix of local and overseas players. Today (Seon) Power was the best player on the field and he is a local player. And I was also very happy with (Julius) James. Today he played a perfect game. All these boys were okay and Daniel was also very good. At the end of the game when we were leading 2-0, I give a chance to Hyland also."

Likewise captain and Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones felt it was a win obtained under difficult conditions, referring mainly to the poor state of the pitch at the very bumpy Barbados National Stadium.

"The surface that we played on was not the best. But, again, there were two teams playing on it and we had to make it work," Jones said. "A few things were off. The first goal was a good goal. The other one was a bit scrappy, but at the end of the day it was two goals and I am quite happy with that."

Jones said further that, "based on the group we are in, everyone would expect us to come out on top. Football is no easy game, there are no easy opponents. We have four more games to capitalise on being on top of the group to progress, " Jones said.

Pfister has installed Jones as captain, presumably to capitalise on his experience as an English Premiership player. But Jones was the chief culprit in missing chances against Barbados.

Two of his misses on Tuesday were glaring, as he failed to convert what lesser players most likely would.

Daniel scored from almost the same position Jones was in when he tried to dribble the keeper and took the ball out of play.

"It is the life of a footballer and a striker," Jones said. "Sometimes you get five chances and score one and other times you score all which you get. I am not dwelling on that. I have more games to go and I think there will be more chances to score."

As Soca Warriors captain, Jones is expected to do more than just dish off the ball, and then stand in the same spot admiring the work of his teammates. He would be expected to give teammate Hayden Tinto and others the option of taking a return pass, if he moved into a space. Against Bermuda, Jones scored, but that was it.

To his credit, the Stoke City man tried to do some work there. Against Barbados he was largely a stationary target who fell down easily, and constantly looked for the referee's help.

Generally though, the Soca Warriors are not aggressive and are so slow, that they allow defences to easily filter back.

They also never pressure the opposition when they do not have the ball.

The defence has held well, and Marvin Phillip seems to be the number one keeper at the moment. Seon Power has had two solid games, but will do well not to lunge against better teams.

Chris Birchall and Clyde Leon both worked hard against Barbados and Daniel was comfortable at central midfield where he unusually put in a few tackles. Carlos Edwards and Anthony Wolfe have managed as wing backs, though both are natural wide midfielders.

Up front, Jones doesn't do enough; Darryl Roberts is always on the move, but does not yet have match sharpness and Stern John, 34 next month, is still capable of scoring goals regardless of criticism about his age.

So far coach Pfister has a 100 per cent record and has worked under difficult conditions with just one warm-up match, and local players who have not played for seven months.

But unless he gets the Soca Warriors playing better soon, they will be no match for Mexico and Costa Rica.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:01:02 AM by Tallman »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: MISSED CHANCE
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:24:02 AM »
Do u guys get the feeling that Prescott fighting down the team? Especially Kenwyne Jones?

I would think that a new team with a new coach playing a new system with a team that hasn't played in more than 10 months with some players who have not played a competitive game in seven months that he might be a little more understanding.

???
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
de man doesn't know football, he just being an ass, so far d coach has a winning formula and he makes the decision of team selection. i hope the sponsors doesn't read these articles, because it give off negative vibes. 

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Missed chance
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »
Socapro that is you?

Anyhow I stop reading after "irregardless"
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:19:06 AM »
Do u guys get the feeling that Prescott fighting down the team? Especially Kenwyne Jones?

I would think that a new team with a new coach playing a new system with a team that hasn't played in more than 10 months with some players who have not played a competitive game in seven months that he might be a little more understanding.

???

I agree he's not offering any solutions just critizing unfortunately guys like prescott come a dime a dozen....

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:22:09 AM »
I'm looking for the right expression ... ok got it ..... "  Prescott why yuh eh go f**k yuhself  " yeah that should do nicely!!  This is why I does read Touches and Patriot re.ports

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
this coach r going to do well let's seat back and c

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:52:38 AM »
Prescott has offered some advice.
1.Jones must stop falling dong so much.
2.Jones must improve his first touch.
3.TT are not aggressive and allow opposition defenders tofilter back.
4.TT do not pressure the opposition when they dont have the ball.
5.Improve your finishing.
If Mr.Pfister does not fix those problems we wont be getting out of the second stage.

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:02:37 AM »
it all comes down to beating guyana, an what i learned from bdos is they knew very well of all the faults, but anything to get a victory. an what miss yuh doh pass yuh so on the rebound i think all them goals we miss it waitin for them on de return leg.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
Socapro that is you?

Yuh eh lie. This forum has served to highlight how much is lacking in journalism. Seeing these articles side by side and one after another has helped to show where we have a credibility gap.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:17 AM »

???

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:06 AM »
I'm looking for the right expression ... ok got it ..... "  Prescott why yuh eh go f**k yuhself  " yeah that should do nicely!!  This is why I does read Touches and Patriot re.ports

so when Touches say a man was not only pulling stones he was swinging hard, what is the difference?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
alyuh men really need to stop drinking the TTFF cool aid

???

I agree he's not offering any solutions just critizing unfortunately guys like prescott come a dime a dozen....

look you solution here saga
[/quote]
As Soca Warriors captain, Jones is expected to do more than just dish off the ball, and then stand in the same spot admiring the work of his teammates. He would be expected to give teammate Hayden Tinto and others the option of taking a return pass, if he moved into a space.

I think the article was fairly balanced "irregardless"

[/quote]
Missed chance
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Against Bermuda, Jones scored, but that was it.
To his credit, the Stoke City man tried to do some work there.

Generally though, the Soca Warriors are not aggressive and are so slow, that they allow defences to easily filter back.

They also never pressure the opposition when they do not have the ball.

The defence has held well, and Marvin Phillip seems to be the number one keeper at the moment. Seon Power has had two solid games, but will do well not to lunge against better teams.

Chris Birchall and Clyde Leon both worked hard against Barbados and Daniel was comfortable at central midfield where he unusually put in a few tackles. Carlos Edwards and Anthony Wolfe have managed as wing backs, though both are natural wide midfielders.

Up front, Jones doesn't do enough; Darryl Roberts is always on the move, but does not yet have match sharpness and Stern John, 34 next month, is still capable of scoring goals regardless of criticism about his age.

So far coach Pfister has a 100 per cent record and has worked under difficult conditions with just one warm-up match, and local players who have not played for seven months.

But unless he gets the Soca Warriors playing better soon, they will be no match for Mexico and Costa Rica. FACT

Everybody here criticises the news reports where all the reporter does is recap the scoreboard and the yellow cards. Now you have actual analysis and you griping

Y'all say we being harsh on the team, I say you're all being harsh on him.

A man even say it go affect the sponsors. That remind me of a certain agent who accuse us of stifling a player's opportunity to go abroad because he get pong on the forum ::)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
If Mr.Pfister does not fix those problems we wont be getting out of the second stage.
I doh know bout you, but i think all this super analysis of KJ's performance is much ado about zilch!
i have ah question for you though, did you watch the highlights? BC if you did, then you would know that the author is speaking falsely of kenwyne jones performance, yes he missed two easy chances, but he also orchestrated the two goals that was scored.

now imagine one man was involved in all these chances, the ones that scored and the ones that didn't, isn't that an amazing feat?

Kenwyne jones doesn't need to be runnin around like ah mad man ball chasing! NOOO! the guy is a very intelligent player, and if you took the time to watch him closely it will become abundantly clear how smart of a players he is.

all these fellas who runnin they mouth don't really understand the modern game and are still stuck in the pass generation of football where players, particularly strikers, chased the game.   

the object is too work smart, not necessarily hard. BTW prescott seem to be another jealous minded trouble making xenophobe. never did i hear him vidal or the other old dunces call for latas head, especially not this early.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:46:35 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »

???

Way to negative over nuttin.  I quit 2 lines in as soon as he start dooming the team because we ain't score 15 goals against them.  
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
my only gripe here is prescott talking bout how lesser strikers would have scored Jones's misses. Dat was when i know he aint never play no real ball. How much goals does go astray in de six yard box in de EPL? what about La Liga. I see Ronaldo kick over bar from about the same distance with a better angle. Long story short... Football doh go dat way. Yuh score some and yuh go dam well throw way some. De ball round and does bounce (especially on uneven ground)

He did however point out some glaring points and one or two solutions, so I ain't fighting him down for dat. At lease he aint do like that other moron who calling for the coach to resign after 2 wins.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »
BTW prescott seem to be another jealous minded trouble making xenophobe. never did i hear him vidal or the other old dunces call for latas head, especially not this early.

Where did Prescott call for Pfister's head?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »

???

Way to negative over nuttin.  I quit 2 lines in as soon as he start dooming the team because we ain't score 15 goals against them.  
Yuh know what's really surprising, the last 3 times we played barbados we didn't beat them, no! under wim in the 2006 degicel we drew with them, in jamaica degicel 2008 under pancho maturana and latas we also drew with them, so why are they expecting this coach to trump ah team we haven't beaten in ah while.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »
Socapro that is you?

Yuh eh lie. This forum has served to highlight how much is lacking in journalism. Seeing these articles side by side and one after another has helped to show where we have a credibility gap.

LOL... well allyuh know me, that is the first thing I spot and was coming to comment on.  I doh look for the errors but for some reason they does just jump out at me.  I can't believe this man ent have spell check on he computer to tell him that "irregardless" is not a word.

I mihself stop reading after that... but up until then ah was with him in agreeing that it was a wasted opportunity to not bury them two sides under some goals.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
BTW prescott seem to be another jealous minded trouble making xenophobe. never did i hear him vidal or the other old dunces call for latas head, especially not this early.

Where did Prescott call for Pfister's head?
Where did i say he did?? i mention vidal and the other old fellas who was katchin feelins on tuesday.

BTW, why do you feel the need tuh reply to me ? if yuh think i'm over baring then there's no shame in you skippin over my post, after all, you're not under any obligation to reply to ah dunce like me you know.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »
I doh know bout you, but i think all this super analysis of KJ's performance is much ado about zilch!
i have ah question for you though, did you watch the highlights? BC if you did, then you would know that the author is speaking falsely of kenwyne jones performance, yes he missed two easy chances, but he also orchestrated the two goals that was scored.

now imagine one man was involved in all these chances, the ones that scored and the ones that didn't, isn't that an amazing feat?

Kenwyne jones doesn't need to be runnin around like ah mad man ball chasing! NOOO! the guy is a very intelligent player, and if you took the time to watch him closely it will become abundantly clear how smart of a players he is.

all these fellas who runnin they mouth don't really understand the modern game and are still stuck in the pass generation of football where players, particularly strikers, chased the game.   

the object is too work smart, not necessarily hard. BTW prescott seem to be another jealous minded trouble making xenophobe. never did i hear him vidal or the other old dunces call for latas head, especially not this early.

I doh understand dis obsession wid KJ nah.  Despite the misses he has had a hand in all 3 goals and as you rightfully pointed out was very much a prt of the squandered opportunities.  So while I could see man being uneasy dat he din bury them, I not sure how he effort gettin questioned when he's fully involved in  most of the opportunities we've had thus far.  Then again most of these fellaz have UEFA badges at home fuh sport ::)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »
I doh understand dis obsession wid KJ nah.  

I woulda think if any man could understand it woulda be you.

;D

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 09:21:18 AM »
I doh understand dis obsession wid KJ nah.  

I woulda think if any man could understand it woulda be you.

;D

Yuh eyes an dem eh good maybe.  Either too much material to read or too much jockin :rotfl:

Look at my history fella I defend all my warroiors from being overly negative criticised.  Jones is most notable cause man always callin he name.  Buh Edwards, Noel, and Leon have all been vigorously defended by me as well when I found the criticisms and negativity to be far beyond rational.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
I stopped reading when i saw Corn meal was quoted
Hart for president

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
both he and Nigel Simon are total shithongs.. I hope they on the forum too

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
Socapro that is you?

;)

If it was me it would be more accurate as this article is still claiming we are on top of our group which we are not!!

Check the table now: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/standings/index.html
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »
The reason for all the complaining is that we had a dismal 1-0 win against some boys from Bermuda and that is rubbish in any language,we all said "fuss match an ting we go be better against Bim",we were better by a flimsy 1 goal.With the players at our disposal we should have easily been leading Bim 3-0 at half time,we kept on breaching their defence time and again but cyah finish,Bim almost cut the defecit in the final minutes that is why we have to put away chances.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
   IN THE EPL JONES BEARLY FALL DOWN ON THE PITCH, THAT PITCH WAS VERY VERY BAD, IF U EVER PLAY FOOTBALL ON A BAD PITCH LIKE THAT IT WILL MESS UP YOUR ANKLES, U DON'T HAVE A GOOD BALANCE ON THE PITCH LIKE THAT. AND KJ STRENGTH IS NOT HIS DRIBBLE ABILITY, IT'S HIS UPPER BODY STRENGTH AND HEADERS, WHEN U WATCH HIM IN THE EPL AGAINST TOP LEVEL TEAMS, HE GIVES PROBLEMS. SO GUYS WATCH KJ THIS WEEKEND AGAINST LIVERPOOL. AND LET C IF HE FALL DOWN ON THE PITCH ALOT.

KJ WEAKS IS THE ABILITY TO DRIBBLE WELL UNDER PRESSURE. BUT HIS A SMART PLAYER.

3.TT are not aggressive and allow opposition defenders to filter back.
   DEPENDING ON THE FLOW OF THE GAME, IT MAY REQUIRE HOW FAST AND HOW SLOW U CAN PLAY THE GAME. REMEMBER U HAVE 90 MINUTES. IF U GUYS CAN REMEMBER WHEN LATAS HAD TAKE OVER THE TEAM AND THEY PLAYED AGAINST COSTA RICA, (http://youtu.be/NgrwAR6IrRM) SO IT MEANS PLAYING AGGRESSIVE IS NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER TO WIN GAMES.  U LOOK AT EPL AND OTHER LEAGUES AND WATCH HOW FAST AND SLOW THE GAMES ARE....

DEPENDS ON THE OPPONENTS. LOOK AT FC BARCELONA VS VILRREAL GAMES AND LOOK AT THE PACE

ALMOST EVERY TOP TEAM HAS PROBLEMS FINISHING. IT'S AN UN GOING THING

IT MAY NOT B THE PROBLEM FOR THE COACH TO FIX, U NEED HELP FROM THE PLAYERS TOO.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
I started off by shaking my head at this article; however, by the time I had finished, I realized he eh saying anything many here don't.

KJ needs to work harder and not stand up so much.

Roberts looking good but could do a little better.

Wolfe and CE not bad in their positions but it's not their natural area.

Power looks good.

We might be winning now, but this level of play won't cut it against CR and Mex. And yes this is the first time we've played together since 2010 but that have nothing to do with KJ missing some opportunities of CE out of position by a mile.

I surprised he eh talk about the sh&t that Pinto doing and that he should be coming off the bench and WHERE is Hughton Hector?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
Well apart from the irregardless, I agree with Prescott on the missed chances. Me eh calling for Otto head.....as yet. Like I said before, if ttff had a couple prep games with this squad, we might be singing a happier tune. But this eh no friendly. This is the real deal. Nice goal, ugly goal, vaps goal, lucky goal. just score goals. I eh even underestimating Procrastinators Sunday morning rumshop side against this team. That is how serious I am. I can't judge this coach yet. I have not seen an entire game to form an unbiased/biased opinion.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:55:16 AM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>