April 25, 2024, 11:27:47 PM

Author Topic: W.Connection 2 St Anns Rangers 1  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
W.Connection 2 St Anns Rangers 1
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
W. Connection just got the better of St Anns' Rangers at Ato Boldon on saturday. The match was the first of Pro Leagues Fiesta Saturdays, designed to bring families to Pro League matches.

Confusion over amended kick off times and the cancellation of the Jabloteh/Police FC match may have deterred supporters, but there was still a reasonably attendence of maybe 600- 1000 people. There was a free bouncy castle and face painting for kids and some competitions and give aways.

I missed most of the first half as I believed the kick off had been moved to 5pm. The score was 1-0 to St Anns when I arrived.

As expected, WConn fielded a young team sprinkled with some experience, while St Anns had the more mature squad. The pattern seemed to be WConn continually pressing and often finding gaps in the St Anns defence, which was fairly square and static. St Anns looked to score on the break with Errol McFarlane often the lone target man looking to win the ball and set up marauding St Anns midfielders.

WConn equalised before half time with a header similar to the North East goal the night before, which set up the second half nicely. 

The game was played at a pedestrian pace, with occasional explosive attacks by WConn strikers. Although the St Anns back 4 seemed to more fluid with a defender stepping off as a sweeper at times, there were still many opportunities for threaded diagonal balls, although usually the strikers adopted traditional wing play looking to feed late arriving midfielders.

St Anns attempts to play an offside trap were thwarted by a combination of quick thinking from WConn strikers and superb decision making by the referrees assistant. At times, I contested her decisions initially, but having the benefit of replays in the commentry box, conceded she made remarkably astute decisions based on the passive/active laws.

Two notable incidents were the WConn winner which came from (I think) Jones playing down the right wing. A WConn attacker was ahead of the play in the box and was offside if the ball was played to him. Jones looked up before crossing, assessed the situation, cut inside the defender and powerfully shot to the keepers left from the corner of the 18 yard box. The keeper got his left hand to the ball but his wrist wasn't strong enough and he deflected the ball into the net.

A short time later, another attack down the middle saw another incident where a supporting attacker was offside. With the option of passing not available, the striker whipped shot that beat the keeper. The ball rebounded off the post to the feet of the other attacker who planted the ball in the back of the net. This time the refs asst ruled offside as the passive player had become active.

St Anns had a chance to equalise when their striker dipped his head to a ball and the WConn defenders boot connected with the striker. In my opinion, it was a 50/50 situation and may have warrented an indirect free kick, but the ref gave a pen. Errol McFarlane hit a poor penalty straight at the keeper, which, I felt, was a fair result.

The game was very slow at times, and although changes were made, I think the tactical changes that were required by both teams were lacking.

WConn don't look too bad going forward, but I think will struggle against a more fluid defence. Defensively, again, a more persistant front line should break them down, though the keeper wasn't bad.

St Anns will struggle. They have a big defence, but I feel they will be run ragged by a fast passing team. Wasn't convinved about the goalie. Going forward, Mc Farlane is often isolated and a defence that can win second balls will effectively close down St Anns attacking options. I think it was Keon Daniel playing left midfield and was often missing in action until he worked across the middle onto the right, where he was more effective. I think he will be the key to providing the creativity required if he plays more central/right.

Jerrel Britto had some good moments and some of the WConn youngsters should make impressions once they get a few games under their belts.

Spoke to Dexter Skeene after the game and he confirmed that DF & Police are still part of Pro League. He said he has been assured they will be able to play by end of Sept. Next week is First Citizens Cup with the draw taking place on Wednesday.

So, after 2 Pro League matches, both winning teams overcame a 1-0 defecit. T&TEC look fairly solid and I believe they won't have problems against WConn or St Anns.  North East, too, should take maximum points from these two clubs and may well overturn T&TEC in their two remaining fixtures.

Looks like it will be a tight league this year, as predicted.

(Sorry I didn't supply more players names in report!)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:59:34 AM by Football supporter »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: W.Connection 2 St Anns Rangers 1
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
Good report and analysis.

Near the end of your report you said

I think it was Keon Daniel playing left midfield and was often missing in action until he worked across the middle onto the right, where he was more effective.

Which player were you meaning instead?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »

I think it was Keon Daniel playing left midfield and was often missing in action until he worked across the middle onto the right, where he was more effective.

I don't know...I thought the St Anns no8 was Daniel, thats why I said I think it was him!!

Ok, was Trent Noel!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:56:51 PM by Football supporter »

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
Maybe it was Nigel Daniel. They both look are left sided players and have dreadlocks

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
Was OTTO there
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
Maybe it was Nigel Daniel. They both look are left sided players and have dreadlocks

could be
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »
Was OTTO there

didn't see him, but I spoke to him at the North East game. He asked why we played Anthony Wolfe up front. He said " Vulf iz not ze striker he iz ze right back" (well, kinda like that). I didn't want to point out that Wolfe scored around 25 goals for Ma Pau & North East last season.  But then again, playing him at right back would allow room for Stern 7 Drogba up front and move Cruickshank to right midfield which I feel is his best position, so Pfister has a good point!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Connection shrug off early contest by Rangers
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
Connection shrug off early contest by Rangers
ttproleague.com

Teenaged striker Jerrel Britto scored on debut and wingback Joevin Jones netted the winner to give W Connection a 2-1 comeback victory over visiting St. Ann’s Rangers in their opening 2011-2012 Digicel Pro League Championship fixture at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Saturday.

One of Rangers’ pre-season signings, midfielder Mikhail Awai stunned the home side in the 17th minute with a perfectly struck strike from distance for an early 1-0 advantage after he was played back atop the area by Kaashif Thomas.

W Connection goalkeeping signing Aquelius Sylvester had little chance on stopping the effort when his full stretch proved in vain.

Rangers equipped with midfielder Trent Noel and returning striker Errol Mc Farlane, along with the very familiar faces of midfielder Devon Modeste, defender Elijah Belgrave and Akil Clarke provided good contest for Connection in the opening moments.

However it was Connection’s gelled mixture of experienced youths proved the better team on the night although failing to put away a number of chances.

Thirty-two minutes into the match Rangers Jamaican goalie Shane Mattis denied Britto, pushing the 19 year old effort overbar and two minutes later the former San Juan Jabloteh player headed over from a Hughton Hector— after Hector made a steal on Kaashif Thomas just above the area.

In the 40th minute Britto found himself one on one with Mattis, but was robbed of the ball just inside the six yard area.

However Britto levelled the scores 1-1 three minutes from the break when he climbed perfectly at far post to head in his debut item from Kerron Cummings right side corner to send both teams level at the half.

Connection led by midfielder Hughton Hector as captain this season and defender Kern Cupid as the two most experienced players, created another opening in the 51st minute but blasted overbar by teenager Shahdon Winchester.

Hector himself had a decent effort just wide two minutes later, as goalkeeper Mattis the low swinging effort swoosh past his upright.

2011-2012 Digicel Pro League Championship
Round One Match Day One result
Saturday 10 September
W Connection 2—1 St. Ann’s Rangers
Jerrel Britto 45’, Joevin 72’ ; Mikhail Awai 17

W Connection—Aquelius Sylvester(gk), Hughton Hector(capt.), Akeem Benjamin, Kern Cupid, Andre Quashie, Kerron Cummings(Rennie Britto 78th), Jomal Williams, Jerrel Britto (Neil Benjamin 90th), Mekeil Williams, Joevin Jones, Shahdon Winchester(Hashim Arcia 55th)

Coach—Stuart Charles Fevrier

St. Ann’s Rangers—Shane Mattis(gk), Errol Mc Farlane(capt.), Kareem Moses, Clevon Mc Fee(Shaquille Nesbitte 55th), Trent Noel, Elijah Belgrave, Devon Modeste(Y)(Keon Peters 83rd), Mikhail Awai, Kaashif Thomas (Jaime Ruiz Jamies 79th), Jevon Morris, Akil Clarke

Coach—Anthony Streete

Round One Match Day result
Friday 9 September
North East Stars 1—2 T&TEC FC
Seon Power 8’ ; Sylvester Teesdale 13’, Anthony Noriega 42’
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »

I don't know...I thought the St Anns no8 was Daniel, thats why I said I think it was him!!

The number 8 was Trent Noel.

Decent first game...........
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
Was OTTO there

didn't see him, but I spoke to him at the North East game. He asked why we played Anthony Wolfe up front. He said " Vulf iz not ze striker he iz ze right back" (well, kinda like that). I didn't want to point out that Wolfe scored around 25 goals for Ma Pau & North East last season.  But then again, playing him at right back would allow room for Stern 7 Drogba up front and move Cruickshank to right midfield which I feel is his best position, so Pfister has a good point!

Actually you SHOULD have pointed out that Wolfe went to the 2006 WC as a striker and a few years ago was the leading goal-scorer in the PFL... in fact if he does NOT know that it makes me wonder just WHAT he WAS told by Anton Corneal et al about these players when he first got here.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
Was OTTO there

Actually you SHOULD have pointed out that Wolfe went to the 2006 WC as a striker and a few years ago was the leading goal-scorer in the PFL... in fact if he does NOT know that it makes me wonder just WHAT he WAS told by Anton Corneal et al about these players when he first got here.

I think Pfister knows all that, but he feels his better position is right back....or maybe its just that he has more striking options than right backs??

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Connection shrug off early contest by Rangers.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 06:24:23 AM »
Connection shrug off early contest by Rangers.
ttproleague.com.

Teenaged striker Jerrel Britto scored on debut and wingback Joevin Jones netted the winner to give W Connection a 2-1 comeback victory over visiting St. Ann’s Rangers in their opening 2011-2012 Digicel Pro League Championship fixture at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Saturday.

One of Rangers’ pre-season signings, midfielder Mikhail Awai stunned the home side in the 17th minute with a perfectly struck strike from distance for an early 1-0 advantage after he was played back atop the area by Kaashif Thomas.

W Connection goalkeeping signing Aquelius Sylvester had little chance on stopping the effort when his full stretch proved in vain.

Rangers equipped with midfielder Trent Noel and returning striker Errol Mc Farlane, along with the very familiar faces of midfielder Devon Modeste, defender Elijah Belgrave and Akil Clarke provided good contest for Connection in the opening moments.

However it was Connection’s gelled mixture of experienced youths proved the better team on the night although failing to put away a number of chances.

Thirty-two minutes into the match Rangers Jamaican goalie Shane Mattis denied Britto, pushing the 19 yearold effort overbar and two minutes later the former San Juan Jabloteh player headed over from a Hughtun Hector—after Hector made a steal on Kaashif Thomas just above the area.

In the 40th minute Britto found himself one on one with Mattis, but was robbed of the ball just inside the six yard area.

However Britto levelled the scores 1-1 three minutes from the break when he climbed perfectly at far post to head in his debut item from Kerron Cummings right side corner to send both teams level at the half.

Connection led by midfielder Hughtun Hector as captain this season and defender Kern Cupid as the two most experienced players, created another opening in the 51st minute but blasted overbar by teenager Shahdon Winchester.

Hector himself had a decent effort just wide two minutes later, as goalkeeper Mattis the low swinging effort swoosh past his upright.

2011-2012 Digicel Pro League Championship
Round One Match Day One result
Saturday 10 September

W Connection 2—1 St. Ann’s Rangers
Jerrel Britto 45’, Joevin Jones 72’ ; Mikhail Awai 17

W Connection—Aquelius Sylvester, Hughtun Hector (capt.), Akeem Benjamin, Kern Cupid, Andre Quashie, Kerron Cummings (Rennie Britto 78th), Jomal Williams, Jerrel Britto (Neil Benjamin 90th), Mekeil Williams, Joevin Jones, Shahdon Winchester (Hashim Arcia 55th)

Coach—Stuart Charles Fevrier

St. Ann’s Rangers—Shane Mattis, Errol Mc Farlane (capt.), Kareem Moses, Clevon Mc Fee (Shaquille Nesbitte 55th), Trent Noel, Elijah Belgrave, Devon Modeste (Yellow) (Keon Peters 83rd), Mikhail Awai, Kaashif Thomas (Jaime Ruiz Jamies 79th), Jevon Morris, Akil Clarke.

Coach—Anthony Streete

National coach Otto Pfister, right, and his assistant Arnold Corneal, share a light moment during the opening of the T&T Pro League at the Marvin Lee Stadium on Friday. T&TEC shocked North East Stars 2-1 in the opening game. Photo: Anthony Harris.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »
Was OTTO there

NO BUT CORNEAL WAS as well as ANGUS EVE

600-1000 PEOPLE AOK
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:46:31 PM by weary1969 »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »
Was OTTO there

corneal is the torn in our football side, the bad rash, he is the absolute worse

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rangers to learn from mistakes
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
Rangers to learn from mistakes
ttproleague.com

Never look down after going up, would probably coach be the essence of St. Ann’s Rangers head coach Anthony Streete training talk this week following Saturday’s 2-1 defeat against W Connection.

Rangers enjoyed a 1-0 lead in the 17th minute through a strike from distance by pre-season signing Mikhail Awai in the Round One Match Day One of the 2011-2012 Digicel Pro League Championship match at the Ato Boldon but went on to concede a goals in the 45th (Jerrel Britto) and 72nd (Joevin Jones)minutes.

“Somewhere along the lines we broke down in our tactics and when we scored the (opening) goal we relieved the pressure and start playing the ball back too much,” explained Streete following the game.

“And that’s where W Connection capitalized on us. Also one of goals was a major blunder by my defence.”

“We would learn from our mistakes,” continued the Rangers coach. “We saw where we need to work on. I also still need one or two players to come into the team. It’s a young bunch and I expect we will get there by the third game.”

Streete praised Connection and coach Stuart Charles Fevrier adding, “I would give W Connection’s young bunch credit.

“They played attacking and kept structure in playing to game plan and again I would say that Stuart Charles Fevrier is a great coach—one of the best in the country and the (Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation) needs to watch at that and give him the opportunity.

“I love playing against W Connection and what I tried to have my guys play, was constructive football.”

Streete also commented on a failed penalty strike by captain Errol Mc Farlane on the hour mark which would have given Rangers the advantage.

“As the leader… as the skipper… as the man that takes our penalties even before he left Rangers last season, it was just a missed penalty like we see at World Cups and bigger games. It’s just that this time, it hurt us.”

He turned on a positive note in praise of pre-season midfield acquisition Trent Noel saying, “Trent Noel is a leader and the only reason he didn’t wear the armband is because I wanted to give a St. Ann’s man the band. But I’m grateful to have a player like Trent and coming down people would see a good amount of football from Rangers.”

“This was a wake up call for us,” said a disappointed McFarlane. “It’s really unfortunate as well that as captain of the team I didn’t put away the penalty.

“Being honest with myself, I think I need to put in a lot more work than I did (Friday). And that’s because the responsibility is heavy on my head to bring in the goals for the club.

McFarlane said that it’s unfortunate that his side failed to pick up three points.

“I don’t think we should drop our heads now. We are a new bunch of guys and it’s our first game. As more game comes, our match fitness will get better. I think we can only regroup and come again for our next contest.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>