March 28, 2024, 06:51:18 AM

Author Topic: The Leo Beenhakker Thread.  (Read 78613 times)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leo BeenHakker Interview LIVE NOW on Power 105fm
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2005, 10:11:29 AM »
We does see what we want to see we. I racking my brain trying to think where this anchor man ability pertains to Nakid and for the life of me, where dat come from me eh know. All I could remember is teams running riot through we midfield. Like man forget Mexico in GC 2000. Nakid had good technical qualities and was tidy in midfield when he had possession, but tackling & ball winning???

then again what do I know

Never say out and out ball winner, the makelele reference throw off everything, sorry bout that... read my post again....

lemmeh summarize my feelings... Nakhid = Organizer... Latapy = Creater

Nakhid could create but not as devastatingly as Latapy... Latapy could organize the middle but not like Nakhid... is this fair?

yuh need both qualities in a team.. whether one man give yuh it or 11 men give yuh it.. yuh need both..
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2005, 10:14:57 AM »
Bunty.....If Latapy was there he would not have wasted 5-6 tru balls on Stern.

Latapy woulda step up, run the play heself, Score and then turn round and tell Stern........that is how its done!

FF, I know you does watch ball breds, which is why this conversation we having intriguing me so.

I see when yuh get some pressah yuh start to crack, and you admit you would pick ZZ over makalele!

yuh see the same logic yuh use for that statement..........yuh picking ZZ because the Star power shining too bright.

You now confirm why is Latapy and any 10.

Nah man... Latapy is we Zidane... but he eh Zidane...

Pele, Maradona, Zidane.. yuh have no choice but to pick these men over anybody...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2005, 10:47:24 AM »
Nah man... Latapy is we Zidane... but he eh Zidane...

Pele, Maradona, Zidane.. yuh have no choice but to pick these men over anybody...

So in T&T context....if Latapy is we Zidane yuh provin exactly wha Touches sayin

yuh see the same logic yuh use for that statement..........yuh picking ZZ because the Star power shining too bright.

You now confirm why is Latapy and any 10.

But hey...as you quite rightly say....is YOUR PREFERENCE and yuh entitle to yuh opinion jes like everybody else.

Respeck still.

BTW.....what year yuh leff CIC?  ;)

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2005, 10:50:25 AM »

But hey...as you quite rightly say....is YOUR PREFERENCE and yuh entitle to yuh opinion jes like everybody else.

Respeck still.

BTW.....what year yuh leff CIC?  ;)

Palos, yuh go laugh... I is a Fatima man jus like you... 92-99

F*CK CIC!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2005, 11:02:30 AM »
[Palos, yuh go laugh... I is a Fatima man jus like you... 92-99

F*CK CIC!!

LMAO!!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2005, 02:46:16 PM »
This is a very interesting discussion.  If I was a coach I would choose Latapy over Nakhid any day because it is easier to replace a defensive midfielder than a creative midfielder.
For example Makele or Zidane.......Emerson or Ronaldinho.  A French coach and Brazilian coach will easily select Zidane and Ronaldinho..that is a no brainer although Makele and Emerson are good players.
It is difficult to compare a defensive midfielder and an offensive midfielder..as someone said that is comparing apples to oranges.  However if I was Parreira I will select Ronaldinho and find one someone else to replace Emerson.  Do you think it easier to replace Ronaldinho or Emerson?  Do you think it easier to replace Zidane or Makele? Do you think it easier to replace Latapy or Nakhid?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2005, 03:44:15 PM »
This is a very interesting discussion. If I was a coach I would choose Latapy over Nakhid any day because it is easier to replace a defensive midfielder than a creative midfielder.
For example Makele or Zidane.......Emerson or Ronaldinho. A French coach and Brazilian coach will easily select Zidane and Ronaldinho..that is a no brainer although Makele and Emerson are good players.
It is difficult to compare a defensive midfielder and an offensive midfielder..as someone said that is comparing apples to oranges. However if I was Parreira I will select Ronaldinho and find one someone else to replace Emerson. Do you think it easier to replace Ronaldinho or Emerson? Do you think it easier to replace Zidane or Makele? Do you think it easier to replace Latapy or Nakhid?

not to say Nakhid wasn't a creative midfileder too.  We laugh at the Americans when they start to count 'assists", but I think this would highlight Nakhid's greatest strength.  Correct me if I wrong too, but it seemed to me to appear as though, the defence Nakhid was playing in front of was more shaky than the one Latapy was playing in front of (in their primes), so yuh find Nakhid had to play that kind of role more.

and I disagree with the automatic pick for the more attacking midfielder, cuz if we have a side and is four ah we on this forum in defence, with a midfield of Zidane, baggio, latapy, and we lookin for a 4th...b/c we defence shaky yuh ent feel we go go for a defensive?

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2005, 04:15:05 PM »
offense wins games, defense wins championships!!!! Choose your player now.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2005, 04:22:21 PM »
HAHAHA    F#&K FAGIMA  I mean Fatima

my boi jus remember

FATIMA- FIT A TOTI IN MY ASS

FATIMA AGEN-  FAGGITS ASSIGNED TO IMPRESS MAN ALONE.

A RAZZ A TAZZ A RAZZ A TAZZ  A ZIM BOOM BAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

CIC CIC CIC

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2005, 04:24:03 PM »

not to say Nakhid wasn't a creative midfileder too.  We laugh at the Americans when they start to count 'assists", but I think this would highlight Nakhid's greatest strength.  Correct me if I wrong too, but it seemed to me to appear as though, the defence Nakhid was playing in front of was more shaky than the one Latapy was playing in front of (in their primes), so yuh find Nakhid had to play that kind of role more.

and I disagree with the automatic pick for the more attacking midfielder, cuz if we have a side and is four ah we on this forum in defence, with a midfield of Zidane, baggio, latapy, and we lookin for a 4th...b/c we defence shaky yuh ent feel we go go for a defensive?

Seein dat yuh comparin Nakhid & Latapy and yuh disagreein with automatic pick fuh Latapy....even if is men on de forum playin defence, please point out to me who is/was T&T Zidane & Baggio durin de times dem 2 fellas was actively playin fuh T&T?

As fuh dis post by g...
offense wins games, defense wins championships!!!! Choose your player now.

Me eh know which football you watch breddrin (assumin u is a breddrin...if not apologies fuh de assumption), but are you somehow tryin to correlate Nakhid & defence?

Because if you are, must be a nex David Nakhid you referrin to.

Dis is why man must jump een dese topics and correck people because is BLANTANT LIES some people does try to come wit.

David Nakhid was an excellent midfielder during his active playing years.  His strengths were playing it simple, good ball control, good reader of the game, good passer, good motivator.  Nakhid was NEVER this defensive player allyuh tryin to reinvent he to be.

People who eh know better or never see he in action go read dat and come away wit dis kinda Makelele/Viera type player when the REALITY doh go so!

Buh say what....dis is a forum where man does say we does produce some a de best players in de world.   ::)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2005, 05:11:03 PM »
Seein dat yuh comparin Nakhid & Latapy and yuh disagreein with automatic pick fuh Latapy....even if is men on de forum playin defence, please point out to me who is/was T&T Zidane & Baggio durin de times dem 2 fellas was actively playin fuh T&T?

good logic, but it was to highlight the point I quote that is not alwyas the case where you pick a creative midfielder over a defensive one...but your logic still very sound.

Me eh know which football you watch breddrin (assumin u is a breddrin...if not apologies fuh de assumption), but are you somehow tryin to correlate Nakhid & defence?

I ent tink nobody saying that Nakhid was a Brian Williams...but put nearly anybody defensive prowess side by side with latapy's and ...yuh see where I comin from.  Is like Dwarika, he go dribble and lose the ball and den walk with he hand on he hip...yuh know.
wheras Nakhid was a lil more on the end of trying to win the ball from the opposition than latapy. agree?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2005, 05:34:32 PM »
I ent tink nobody saying that Nakhid was a Brian Williams...but put nearly anybody defensive prowess side by side with latapy's and ...yuh see where I comin from.  Is like Dwarika, he go dribble and lose the ball and den walk with he hand on he hip...yuh know.
wheras Nakhid was a lil more on the end of trying to win the ball from the opposition than latapy. agree?

Respectfully...I disagree bounty.

Look...Latas didn't even tackle...he did more shadow and try to nick de ball away from a man IF he did try at all.  True.

But Nakhid wasn't much better.  Ah mean if yuh bein LITERAL, den yes Nakhid perhaps tried to win the ball back in a more evident manner than Latapy, but he wasn't by any stretch of the imagination a player who put pressure on the opposing team when they had possession.

The fact is.....Latapy and Nakhid were POOR defensive players...yes...poorer even than Stern John who doh track back at all but if he vex will at least pelt a blade behind somebody and den buff he teammates.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »
How much was Latapy used during the Strike Squad days?
(I really asking)

I kinda remember he wasn't always on the field and he certainly wasn't the center of our plays like he was in later years where that approach destroyed lesser opponents and took us NOWHERE with better opposition in WCQ.

It wasn't necessarily a bad reflection on him.....we just didn't find a way to use him witout being predictable.
I think the difference betw Latas and Nahkid defensively a lil more than Palos saying...Nahkid would at least be in the mix even if he not winning the ball...Latas not even around.

And this is not to say one better than the other but when it come to T&T yuh have to look at where our weaknesses lie and we always struggle to get the midfield involved in defending.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2005, 05:55:57 PM »
(I really asking)

I kinda remember he wasn't always on the field and he certainly wasn't the center of our plays like he was in later years where that approach destroyed lesser opponents and took us NOWHERE with better opposition in WCQ.

It wasn't necessarily a bad reflection on him.....we just didn't find a way to use him witout being predictable.
I think the difference betw Latas and Nahkid defensively a lil more than Palos saying...Nahkid would at least be in the mix even if he not winning the ball...Latas not even around.

And this is not to say one better than the other but when it come to T&T yuh have to look at where our weaknesses lie and we always struggle to get the midfield involved in defending.

And where exactly did Nakhid take us dcs?

A Shell Caribbean Cup title where we beat mighty Martinique?

I guess that calibre of opposition was superior to Latapy's "lesser opponents" and on par with the superior opponents of WCQ?

In answer to your question about how much was Latapy used during the Strike Squad days......it was coach Gally Cummings' opinion that Latapy & Yorke did not play well together given the system T&T played.  So who sat?  Yorke.

By your question, obviously you never saw the Strike Squad in action because you would know that Latapy was indeed at the heart of everything they did offensively. 

By the way....that "approach" of having Latapy at the heart of our offensive thrust in the Strike Squad got us to within 1 point of a WCQ spot.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 06:01:41 PM by palos »

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2005, 07:22:39 PM »
I will never forget that match against Norway when Latapy put de whole of T&T on his back and scored all three goals in de Oval and we beat dem 3-1. Dat was class boy!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2005, 08:03:41 PM »
(I really asking)

but ay ay..how you cant remember them 2 goals Jameson score agaianst Guatemala( i think)..same indentical goal..home and away..back to back games....and is Latapy who set it up too...Latapy was indeed central to the Strike Squad..more so than Yorke who was till a teenager.

Come to think of it..the fellas we have now not even capable of doing anything rehearsed like that..they can't even do a proper corner set piece..steups
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2005, 09:53:09 PM »
Yuh know all dem men who talking like if latapy wasn't nothing in TNT squad, if he was to make himself available to play they going and jump up like they win the lotto...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2005, 12:02:22 AM »

I kinda remember he wasn't always on the field and he certainly wasn't the center of our plays like he was in later years

Maybe I understating his involvement with the strike squad but the point I trying to make is the difference to the way we used him then to how things went afterward where it seemed it was completely cenetered around him.
Tell me I lie or wrong to say he was much more at the center of things post strike squad?
It cud be just the other players didn't step up but when people talk about the strike squad was a team...that is not what T&T was afterward.

Maybe I should dust off them old videos and take another look but it might be too painful.

I not on this Nahkiid Latapy talk btw....I mostly thinking about if we used him well or if we cud have done things differently to avoid the one man show.

As for welcoming him back....I never thought I would be glad to have Dwight back in the squad but he prove otherwise....if latapy have the gutso to do the same thing then we truuly blessed.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2005, 07:57:12 AM »
I will never forget that match against Norway when Latapy put de whole of T&T on his back and scored all three goals in de Oval and we beat dem 3-1. Dat was class boy!

Yuh sure? .... Leonson Lewis score one. I sure bout that. and the game end up 3-2... Norway were up 2-0 by like the 20th min

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T vs Norway
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2005, 08:12:27 AM »

Yuh sure? .... Leonson Lewis score one. I sure bout that. and the game end up 3-2... Norway were up 2-0 by like the 20th min

Yes, Latapy scored all 3 goals (pen 24', 45' and pen 53'). The score was indeed 3-2, Norway was leading 2-0 after 20 minutes. Tore Andre Flo played in dat game.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2005, 09:33:55 AM »
Latas over Nahkid ... That is a no brainer. Nahkid was never a defensive midfielder neither was Latas.. Nahkid might have been better defensively but Latas was wayyyyyyy ahead offensively. Every gam that Latas and Nahkid play together, how many goals were scored as a result of what Latas did as compared to what Nahkid did.. Also alll the goals scored against us, I don't rememeber any of them being around.

In answer to your question about how much was Latapy used during the Strike Squad days......it was coach Gally Cummings' opinion that Latapy & Yorke did not play well together given the system T&T played.  So who sat?
Gally stated he did not use Latas and Yorke at the same time because of their similar style not because they did play well together, in the beginning it was a direct sub one for the other.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Beenhakker to discuss home based players selection.
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2006, 06:06:36 PM »
Beenhakker to discuss home based players selection.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

National Senior Team head coach Leo Beenhakker is expected back in the country on Monday to resume training with a set of home-based and US-based players vying for selection on the team for upcoming World Cup preparation matches.
The former Ajax boss will arrive with assistant Wim Rijsbergen and both are expected to meet with fellow assistant Anton Corneal to further discuss the selection of players for the training sessions here and those who would have earned notable mention following the recent sessions with the Under 23 players based in the United States and home. This is all ahead of T&T’s next international match against Iceland on February 28 in London. Current T&T senior team MLS players home will also be considered but missing will be Aurtis Whitley and Cyd Gray, both currently away on trials in England and Densill Theobald, who heads off to Falkirk, Scotland today (Sunday).
Corneal, recently brought onto the technical staff by Beenhakker, said “We intend to show coach Beenhakker a video of the sessions with these Under 23 players and then we can make recommendations from there. We will decide whether they will join preparations before the World Cup and if not, we will look at those who can be in the program following the World Cup or for other national teams selection.”
Corneal was quick to commend the players who made themselves available for the recent training sessions.
We always have to thank them for making themselves available because we don’t want to end up in situations where we might lose a player to another country like the United States. Even if you get two players out of such an exercise then it would have been worth the time. So far we are on the right track because these players develop every year. They mature as individuals, they get better physically and their discipline in the game itself improves,” Corneal told TTFF Media.
Two of those players, defenders Anthony Noreiga and Julius James were also glad to be involved in the recent sessions. They also noted that since T&T’s qualification for Germany 2006, the country’s players on the outside are now moving around with more respect shown towards them.
“People don’t give talks anymore. They can’t since we qualify because now we are getting that bit of respect out there. All the Caribbean players too, like from Jamaica, can’t keep giving us talks because we have the bragging rights now and it’s just good for us because it will ensure that we try to keep those rights by playing at a high standard,” said James, formerly a national under 17 and St Anthony’s College player who is now at the University of Connecticut.
About the chance to train under national coaches recently, he added: “It’s really good because it makes us feel that the coaching staff and the Federation are looking out for the players especially those of us who have to come back home and get the chance to take part in a camp like this rather than all the focus just being on the big team. There’s a lot more encouragement now for players.”
Noreiga, who was involved in the MLS Combine sessions over the past few days and a standout with George Mason University, felt the same way.
“Well before people didn’t respect Trinidad and Tobago players. They felt we were always there just for show. We have talented players before but we were never able to really demonstrate it with any power. Now we have that and there’s a big turn around,” said the ex-Princes Town Senior Comprehensive and National Under 23 player.
T&T Women settle in Vera Cruz.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 women’ team arrived at the Holiday Inn Boca Del Rio in Vera Cruz on Friday night and quickly settled in after a long journey from Piarco, via Miami then to Mexico City and then to Vera Cruz.
Miami based players Stephanie DeSousa and Kia Rigsby joined the team in Miami while Katrina Meyer (South Carolina University) and Maylee Attin Johnson (University of Tenessee) joined the team in Mexico City.
Coach Jamaal Shabazz could not pass through the USA due to visa complications, so he took four flights,through Venezuela, Cuba and Mexico City before finally arriving in Vera Cruz two hours after the rest of the team.
The team did a 30 minute walk to stretch their legs at a near by mall and were scheduled to have their first session yesterday (Saturday) evening.
So far all the players are fit and ready for the CONCACAF Under 20 World qualifying series.
Team Vice captain Maylee Attin-Johnson said: "It was a long flight but we are happy to be here so early so that we can settle down and get down to the business of focusing on the job we came here for.”
"To many people it is crazy to think about qualifying against such tough teams but based on what we learnt from our coach and the Soca Warriors, impossible is nothing, she added.
Shabazz added: “The players are focused we had the team practice the national anthem because we have three players who were not born in T&T and we are teaching them it. We also introduced them to the other anthem which is Maximus Dan`s ‘I Am A Soca Warrior’ and the girls jus love it.”
“The team is just in love with this song because it is so inspirational.”
T&T play their first match of the tournament against Canada on 18th January.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 06:23:55 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Beenhakker sets World Cup schedule.
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2006, 05:57:30 PM »
Beenhakker sets World Cup schedule.
[/size]

National Senior team coach Leo Beenhakker has announced that this country’s team will next assemble back home on May 7 for their farewell affair against Peru before taking their final flight out of Piarco five days later before the 2006 World Cup.
Beenhakker finalized the team’s schedule on Friday straight up until its arrival in Rotenberg at the Landhaus Wachtelhof Hotel for their live-in base camp in Germany.
Skipper Dwight Yorke and the selected overseas-based pros will fly into Port of Spain on May 7 for the Peru encounter which will be played on May 10 and apart from the match they will partake in the nationwide motorcade and Gala Dinner before leaving the country on May 13 for the training camp in Manchester, England. The “Soca Warriors” will then leave Manchester on May 20 for Austria where they will take up base at Bad Radkersburg and stay at the Hotel Im Park.
The team will play its first training match of the camp against Austrian club champions Austria Wien on May 23 in Bad Radkersburg.
It will then face Wales in a friendly international on May 27 and then travel the short distance to Celje, Slovenia to face that country’s senior team in another international on May 31. The team will return to Bad Radkersburg and then set off for Prague where it will play its final warm-up international against Czech Republic in Prague on June 3. Beenhakker will then travel with his team from Prague to Rotenberg on June 4 ahead of its opening 2006 World Cup encounter with Sweden on June 10.
“This is the schedule we have finalized for our build up to the World Cup and it will provide us with what we need going into the tournament,” Beenhakker told TTFF Media. “Of course I am happy with it because we looked at everything to put it together and I know everything that went on.”
The team will next reassemble in London on February 26 and will hold two training sessions at the Queens Park Rangers training ground and one at the club’s match stadium at Loftus Road before the match on February 28. Following that, work will continue to be done with the home-based pros before May. Beenhakker will announce a provisional squad of thirty players next week from which the 20-man squad for the Iceland match will come from.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 06:03:38 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
GOING TO THE WORLD CUP WITH LEO BEENHAKKER
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2006, 03:58:37 PM »
(socawarriorstt.com)

1.You have worked in several countries. On what level would you put Trinidad and Tobago  football today in comparison  with more traditional teams?

It’s all about football. It’s as simple as that! On this level you are more focused on making players better in individual ways rather than bringing them together in the team. With big stars like Real Madrid your main job is to manage them to play together as a team.  For our team we worked on putting all of this together and making them a real team. 

2. How did you analyze the Trinidad and Tobago team at first sight in 2005? They were last in last on the table in World Cup qualifying.

It was difficult. But we saw that with some changes in organization and their philosophy of playing the game, we could make them a better team in a short time. Besides that, the opponents were not better in quality  but only better on performance terms at that moment.

3. When did you believe that Trinidad and Tobago would get go to the World Cup? In CONCACAF qualifying or for  the playoffs with Bahrain in November?

I always felt we had a chance but really after beating Panama and Mexico within four days and especially with the  way we did it I thought we had a good chance.

4. To be in the World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago can be considered a miracle? Was it in some way like winning a Championship for the country on a whole and how was it for you as a coach? 

It is a historic achievement for this country. For us as professionals the main part will be in Germany.

5. What can Trinidad and Tobago people hope for the National Team in

Germany from their opening game against Sweden and for the duration of it’s stay there.The people have the right to be hopeful and dream of big success. The team knows it will be difficult to be successful but we will go for it with passion, confidence and personality. The team will not go there just to participate.

6. Trinidad and Tobago is in a tough group with Sweden,England and Paraguay as the opponents. What will the approach be to get positive results. Some people say it will play a defensive style?

Is there any group that is easy? That’s what it’s all about in a World Cup. There are no easy opponents. No we will not be defensive. We will play the way we did in the qualification matches – not wit extra emphasis on defense. It’s not only a difficult group for us but also for the other teams.

7. How important is Dwight Yorke as captain and the other players, particularly the English-based to this national team? Their knowledge about English football will be important in Germany?

He is the leader of the team inside the field so he is an important player. And eighty percent of the players play in England and Scotland so they have all the knowledge about English football.

8. You have a team with both youthful and longtime experience. This mixture is obviously important in a World Cup?

This mix is always important. You need balance in a team in every way – in age, skills, characteristics and personalities.

9. Do you believe there will be some tactical revolution at this World Cup?

No! We have seen everything. I don’t expect more surprises as long as they don’t change the rules of the game. And they have to keep it that way. Football is more than ever very successful in every way.

10. Brazil is really the big favorite for the title? Which teams can be World champions and how can they achieve it?

Brazil has the most talented players. If they can unite as a real team then they will be champions.

11. In your opinion, who will the biggest star in Germany? Any surprises?

Ronaldinho without a doubt!

12. What will you do after the World Cup? Will you remain in Trinidad and Tobago or you already have another plan. Maybe return to Europe?

No idea! That’s in the future!

13. What gave you more pleasure - Coaching a small country and helping them realize a qualification dream or being  in charge of your Netherlands team in 1990 in Italy?

Football is my passion. Working on whatever level gives me a lot of pleasure as long as it’s all about football.

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: GOING TO THE WORLD CUP WITH LEO BEENHAKKER
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »
(socawarriorstt.com)

2. How did you analyze the Trinidad and Tobago team at first sight in 2005? They were last in last on the table in World Cup qualifying.

It was difficult. But we saw that with some changes in organization and their philosophy of playing the game, we could make them a better team in a short time. Besides that, the opponents were not better in quality  but only better on performance terms at that moment.

4. To be in the World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago can be considered a miracle? Was it in some way like winning a Championship for the country on a whole and how was it for you as a coach? 

It is a historic achievement for this country. For us as professionals the main part will be in Germany.

Germany from their opening game against Sweden and for the duration of it’s stay there.The people have the right to be hopeful and dream of big success. The team knows it will be difficult to be successful but we will go for it with passion, confidence and personality. The team will not go there just to participate.

6. Trinidad and Tobago is in a tough group with Sweden,England and Paraguay as the opponents. What will the approach be to get positive results. Some people say it will play a defensive style?

Is there any group that is easy? That’s what it’s all about in a World Cup. There are no easy opponents. No we will not be defensive. We will play the way we did in the qualification matches – not wit extra emphasis on defense. It’s not only a difficult group for us but also for the other teams.

7. How important is Dwight Yorke as captain and the other players, particularly the English-based to this national team? Their knowledge about English football will be important in Germany?

He is the leader of the team inside the field so he is an important player. And eighty percent of the players play in England and Scotland so they have all the knowledge about English football.

8. You have a team with both youthful and longtime experience. This mixture is obviously important in a World Cup?

This mix is always important. You need balance in a team in every way – in age, skills, characteristics and personalities.---->NOTICE HOW THE MAN BRINGS THIS OUT.

Ronaldinho without a doubt! --->   :'( No Trini?  :rotfl:  :-\

12. What will you do after the World Cup? Will you remain in Trinidad and Tobago or you already have another plan. Maybe return to Europe?

No idea! That’s in the future! ----->We must do something about this... and soon!

I like how Beenhakker talks.  He gives very good answers!
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Tigger

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: GOING TO THE WORLD CUP WITH LEO BEENHAKKER
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2006, 04:36:03 PM »
(socawarriorstt.com)

It was difficult. But we saw that with some changes in organization and their philosophy of playing the game, we could make them a better team in a short time. Besides that, the opponents were not better in quality but only better on performance terms at that moment.

This mix is always important. You need balance in a team in every way – in age, skills, characteristics and personalities.---->NOTICE HOW THE MAN BRINGS THIS OUT.

Ronaldinho without a doubt! ---> :'( No Trini? :rotfl: :-\

No idea! That’s in the future! ----->We must do something about this... and soon!

I like how Beenhakker talks. He gives very good answers!

He really does.. with or without the cigarette in his mouth...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The Leo Beenhakker Thread.
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »
The life and times of Leo Beenhakker.
By Ernst Bouwes (soccernet).

(Archive)

25-Jan-2011 - At a press conference in Stuttgart, where Feyenoord had just crushed VfB with a convincing 3-1 win in the first round of the 1998 UEFA Cup, a local reporter asked coach Leo Beenhakker what he thought of the sorry state of German football.

"Haben sie eine Stunde Zeit?" (Do you have an hour to spare) was Don Leo's triumphant answer. Hilarious. A fortnight later Stuttgart left De Kuip with a 3-0 win and a ticket to the second round. Their coach Winnie Schafer only needed to repeat the quote a couple of times to his squad. To be fair, at the end of the season Beenhakker proceeded to bring Feyenoord their only title in the last 18 years.

Beenhakker was never a professional player, but became the youngest coach (26) in the Netherlands when he started at second division club Veendam in 1968. His first job in the Eredivisie at Go Ahead Eagles was cut short when he was dismissed after eight months. Four years later, while working as a youth trainer at Ajax, he was suddenly propelled to take charge of the first team when coach Cor Brom had to leave in August 1979.

A year later, Beenhakker was called to the boardroom by chairman Ton Harmsen a year later with Ajax in mid-table position. "Leo, we have contracted Wim Jansen, back from the States. And for technical advice, you can call on Johan Cruyff."

The advice came sooner than Beenhakker expected. In the next home game, FC Twente surprised Ajax by taking a 3-1 lead. With half an hour remaining and the visitors still a goal up, Cruyff came walking through the tunnel with his hands in his pockets. A startled Beenhakker later said he should have kicked Cruyff in the backside and sent him back to where he came from. But there was hardly time for the coach to react as his new advisor immediately started directing. Wildly gesticulating, he put several players in different positions and Ajax won 5-3. Four months later. Beenhakker decided to quit.

After three seasons at Real Zaragoza, Beenhakker returned to unfancied Volendam to sensationally lead them up to third place in the table within four months. Suddenly, Leo was the cream of the crop and he led a coaches' revolt to replace national team boss Kees Rijvers with Rinus Michels for the 1986 World Cup qualifying campaign, as mentioned in my piece on June 1. When Michels was hospitalised with heart problems, Beenhakker was on hand to take the Dutch team part-time and reach a World Cup play-off.

Meanwhile, at Volendam the team tail-spinned from top to bottom and were relegated, with Leo leaving the club to take the Dutch team to Mexico for the World Cup. That also failed horribly but the Dutch FA still offered him a new contract, though Beenhakker chose to take the reins at Real Madrid, who were desperate to win the European Cup again.

In his three years in the Bernabeu, Beenhakker's team - including Hugo Sanchez, Emilio Butragueno, Michel, Gordillo and Sanchis, dominated the Primera Division, while he was the only coach to lead Real into a European Champions Cup semi-final between their finals of 1981 and 1998. Three of them, in fact, though the final dramatically eluded him on each occasion. The 1987-88 season was especially galling. Drawn against Maradona's FC Napoli and both 1987 finalists FC Porto and Bayern Munich, Real may have had the strongest opposition ever in the run-in to a semi-final. Next were PSV, who seemed laughable opponents in comparison. However, Real could get beyond two draws and Guus Hiddink's team went on to win the cup.

The next year, Don Leo seemed on his way to the promised land after a 2-0 home win over AC Milan in the semis, but a Van Basten-Gullit-induced tornado led to a historic 5-0 defeat in the San Siro. Within a week, Don Leo signed for Ajax ("It feels like coming home', he said, although he was born in Rotterdam) and they won their first title in five years in 1990.

At that time, his friend Rinus Michels was, as a Dutch FA board member, responsible for finding a new Netherlands coach to replace Thijs Libregts, fired only a month before the World Cup 1990. The players themselves voted for Johan Cruyff, a decision that was immediately leaked to the press, but Michels went for second-choice Don Leo, backed by a few Ajax players. Why Michels took that decision, we will never know as he took the secret into his grave. Perhaps it was a question of pride.

Arguably, Netherlands had the best players at the tournament, but the team disintegrated quickly from the moment they met. Beenhakker was caught in the middle of all kinds of conflicting players, staff and media, and he was the coach no one really wanted. His charm worked against him as the squad needed someone who could bang some heads together. Legendary is the press conference in which Don Leo came out with a Chinatown-esque plastered nose. Netherlands left Italia '90 out of the back door, covered in shame. Afterwards, Beenhakker draped himself in self-comiseration, claiming that that "less than 10 % of what happened came out".

He returned to Ajax, but was lured back to Madrid the next season for an ill-fated second spell at the Bernabeu. It was the start of an epic football journey with jobs all over the world from Central America to Saudi Arabia and Turkey. In between, he took Feyenoord to their last title in 1998, before again moving to Ajax as a technical director where, to his credit, he was one of the few who had faith in Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Later he stunned the football world by taking Trinidad & Tobago to the World Cup in 2006, but he failed to do so with Poland, who he coached in conjunction with a position as advisor at Feyenoord.

Disgruntled Polish FA chairman Grzegorz Lato took the opportunity to fire him as soon as was viable, which happened to come after a crushing 3-0 defeat against Slovenia. Lato, unable to wait, told the press first and Beenhakker was embarrassingly infomed by a TV reporter during his live post-game analysis of the game on the pitch.

Back at Feyenoord as technical director, Beenhakker excelled as the vexed, troubled football legend, who had seen it all. He started by telling the fans he would bring them back to the Coolsingel (a famous street in Rotterdam) to celebrate a title, despite knowing that the club was spiralling towards an almost inevitable breakdown.

Due to financial restrictions by the Dutch FA, Feyenoord hardly spent any money and when Beenhakker did choose to invest the last millions left in the war-chest, it was on Sekou Cisse of Roda JC - a misfiring, oft- injured forward. Of his loanees and free transfers, none have made the line-up on a permanent basis. Few were surprised when news that his expiring contract would not extended emerged, but Don Leo made such a song-and-dance about the way he was informed, that the board has no option than to kick him out immediately, with the decision revealed on Monday.

Leo Beenhakker has found himself a sort of niche position. He has no network of former team-mates to rely on, but in the meantime is also not restricted by that fact. Like a cuckoo he jumps from nest to nest, mostly leaving in acrimonious style, before sweet-talking himself into other jobs and charming his way into returning to old positions.

Beenhakker enjoys a good relationship with the press as he always gives them the idea that he has let them into a secret. Expect him to find a new job soon enough, though - knowing him - he may have one already.

Personal information

Date of birth 2 August 1942 (1942-08-02)
Place of birth Rotterdam, Netherlands
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:38:50 AM by Flex »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Leo Beenhakker Thread.
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »
The path is clear...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Leo Beenhakker Thread.
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »