March 29, 2024, 07:19:39 AM

Author Topic: The Leo Beenhakker Thread.  (Read 78648 times)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Corneal: Tim Kee and Phillips are opportunists
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
I don't know why it said "By Lasana Liburd". Maybe I did that in error or an administrator added it by mistake.
There is no mystery to the story. Arnold Corneal wrote a very lengthy comment on the initial story about his brother's resignation. I could not use it as a comment at that length; so I emailed and asked him if he would like me to use it as a blog instead and he agreed.
To say he has "unfettered access" to Wired868 is a very odd and loaded statement. It is a guest blog. All news houses have a letters page or columnist section that fulfils the same purpose, which is to allow people a voice.
He is not the first and won't be the last. I have had many sport and non-sporting column from well over a dozen people on all sorts of topics.
I encourage anyone who feels strongly about a point to submit something as well.
I will not agree with all the independent blogs. But there is no managing editor on the planet who agrees with every letter or column that was published on his/her newspaper or website.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #541 on: April 05, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
Did anyone seriously expect Anton to bad talk his employers WHILE he was still working for them. No professional does that, it lacks diplomacy in resolving the issue.

And as he may wish to get this post in the future, he may criticise in a diplomatic manner as is his prerogative.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 05, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »
1. Arnold Corneal is entitled to an opinion (regardless of his status as Anton's brother). He expressed that opinion in a comment and was willing to defend that opinion on an elevated platform upon Lasana's inquiry ... big man does back dey talk, yuh doh hadda agree wid de content.

Arnold Corneal wrote a very lengthy comment on the initial story about his brother's resignation. I could not use it as a comment at that length; so I emailed and asked him if he would like me to use it as a blog instead and he agreed.

2. Like anybody else, Arnold is entitled to an opinion ... that doh necessarily mean he talking on Anton's behalf.

3. Anton seems to have been capable of responsibly communicating his position to the TTFA because the TTFA knew that Anton was considering departure:

“The resignation wasn’t a surprise,” said Phillips. “It is something that had been in discussion with the financial situation around the association and it is a decision that we respect. We acknowledge the receipt of the resignation and will discuss it further over the couple days and then issue a release.

“We have been very upfront with Anton from the beginning in terms of what our plans were to deal with the arrears and we are still in the process of doing that… He said he didn’t know how long he could last but he lasted quite a long time and did a yeoman’s task.”

4. Nobody eh like to wuk and doh get paid!!! That had tuh have involved sacrifice one way or de other. The paradox of representing yuh country and not gehhin paid should be ringing in everyone's ears even more than any comment from Arnold.

5. There's likely more in de mortar than de pestle. Everything in due season. Time will tell. In the meantime, NO ONE in the coaching fraternity should be willing to step into the position.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:43:06 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 05, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »
4. Nobody eh like to wuk and doh get paid!!! That had tuh have involved sacrifice one way or de other. The paradox of representing yuh country and not gehhin paid should be ringing in everyone's ears even more than any comment from Arnold.
:beermug:

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Use Beenhakker cash on local coaches: Corneal's fresh TTFA attack
« Reply #544 on: April 13, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »
Corneal: Use Beenhakker cash for local coaches
By Arnold Corneal (Wired868)

Arnold Corneal, brother of ex-technical director Anton Corneal, follows up on his criticism of the TTFA president and general secretary with a suggestion for how money earmarked for Leo Beenhakker might be best used

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee and general secretary Sheldon Phillips have been bellowing for the return of former Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup coach Leo Beenhakker as director of football at a cost believed to be anywhere between US$45,000 and US$55,000 per month.

Why are we not hearing those same sentiments from the technical committee of the TTFA? Oh yes, there is a technical committee which, under the TTFA’s constitution, has the responsibility for technical decisions inclusive of recommendations for the employment of coaches and directors.

Unfortunately, they have been kept very silent since Tim Kee’s appointment and side-stepped after Phillips’ arrival.

Further, I understand the committee was not even consulted about the appointment of present coach Stephen Hart and only found out when the decision was already made by Tim Kee after he consulted with Phillips. 

Again, we see a president demonstrating that he is a Jack of all trades; calling the shots on anything that peaks his interest or allows him to assert his authority. It is not surprising; he was an obedient understudy as TTFA vice president when Mr. Warner was at the helm.

We are now witnessing history repeat itself.

Beenhakker’s role in effecting Tim Kee’s new dispensation of football development emerges out of discussions by individuals who have absolutely no knowledge or experience on the topic. I understand that even these deliberations were done without the input of the TTFA’s technical committee.

How did both Tim Kee and Phillips come to the conclusion that we have had little or no development in football in Trinidad and Tobago? And how could they conclude that this alleged vacuum or longstanding dilemma warrants a US$55,000 salary for one individual to implement?

Did they see it fit to consult people like Bertille St. Clair, Ron La Forest, Gally Cummings, Edgar Vidale, Alvin Corneal, Steve David, Leroy De Leon and many others or to include the many coaching school coaches who fostered development over the last 30 years? 

These are the people who know about what development has taken place in this country. The old people would always say: “If you don’t know, then ask!”

On the matter of the supposed void in local football, I present another view, one based on facts that are available for evaluation and scrutiny.

While I subscribe to the fact that development must be continuous, I also acknowledge our local football has done reasonably well in this area for over 50 years. Those of the right age might remember that, in 1967, Trinidad and Tobago won bronze at the Pan American Games in Canada.

Some of the results were: Trinidad 1, Mexico 1; Trinidad 1, Argentina 0; Trinidad 5, Colombia  2; Trinidad 4, Canada 1.

Astonishingly, this occurred in an environment where Trinidad and Tobago had far less footballers than now and it was names like Pa Aleong and “Old Man” Braithwaithe who shouldered the responsibility for our development.

Six years later, our national team was on the verge of the 1974 World Cup at a time when only 16 teams qualified and not 32 as it is now.

In 1989, Everald “Gally” Cummings’ team almost made it to the 1990 World Cup with talent from national youth teams coached by Winston Phillips and Philbert Prince. Then, in 1991, Bertille St Clair took an under-20 team to the World Youth Cup with Dwight Yorke and many other talented young players.

All of this was done with local coaches and all working for free also, may I remind you!

In that era we also produced the David Nakhids, Dexter Skeenes, Shaka Hislops, Russel Latapys, and too many others to call here. If this wasn’t evidence of development, then what is?

Within the last seven years, Trinidad and Tobago has qualified for two World Youth Cups and almost did it again at under-17 level in Panama last year. If that again is not clear evidence of successful development, then wake me up.

Let us look at the factors that contributed to this development over these many years. Primary to this are the volunteer coaches, some of whom I named previously, and the many coaching schools that contributed to this cause.

It is important to stress that this success came at a time when little money was available to support development and, in many cases, coaches were not paid. Nevertheless, development took place because of the blood, sweat and passion that these players and coaches shed.

Now comes Leo Beenhakker!

While I respect his accomplishments as a world class coach, I question his history or expertise to help our development. This has never been part of his portfolio. He has always only coached fully professional world class players.

We are now asking an aged practitioner to establish a developmental system, which comprises many stakeholders who continue to operate pro bono while Beenhakker receives in excess of US$55,000 each month.

If half of Beenhakker’s monthly salary was available to fund youth developmental projects in Trinidad and Tobago, I can assure you that we will qualify for many more youth and senior World Cups.

The major problem in local football has never been with the development stage; as I have hopefully outlined. But it continues to be with the management phase.

We have always had the players, coaches and passion of a people who love the game; but, apart from the late visionary Eric James, we have had little football administrators who adequately understand the management of the sport.

Even more pressing is the fact that the current administration continues to demonstrate little appreciation and respect for the value of the local coaching practitioners that we have had for over 50 years.  And they fail to understand the impact of poor management on athletes’ performances and their chances of achieving success.

Many of the decisions that they make are business decisions that are conceptualized and implemented in a vacuum, that is void of input from the people who really know about the key ingredients of the sport. This has become routine.

Clearly we are allowing the tail to wag the dog. Football will continue to be played even in the absence of management; but management cannot operate in the absence of football.

I have little confidence in the sport management skills of Tim Kee and Phillips; and I urge our players, coaches and supporters to demand much more from football administrators. There is too much to lose.

Many sacrifices have been made by players and local coaches; mostly for the love of the game and not for the love of money. It is now time that our local coaches and players benefit from the money that we understand is readily available; they have been on the job for well over 50 years.

Now is the time to put them on the payroll. It is not too late to correct the errors of the past and move on quickly to create a successful future.

Editor’s Note: As far as we know, the figures presented in this blog are speculation. Wired868 cannot confirm or rebut the author’s claims regarding the current relationship between the TTFA technical committee and its president and general secretary.

Please note too that Leo Beenhakker has so far stood in solidarity with local coaches and refused to accept a TTFA position until all arrears to coaches are met.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:28:02 AM by Flex »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Use Beenhakker cash on local coaches: Corneal's fresh TTFA attack
« Reply #545 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:18 AM »
He has a point about the large salary (if the figures are right) - there needs to be more scrutiny over how we utilise our limited resources in this department - if $50k a month is true then that's a travesty - we could employ groundsmen for every pitch big and small for that money, or build and maintain several academies..

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Use Beenhakker cash on local coaches: Corneal's fresh TTFA attack
« Reply #546 on: April 14, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
The salary is no travesty considering it's an individual of Beenahker's class.

It's around the same salary he had eight years ago so apparently inflation wasn't considered.

I believe Been.'s salary was taken up by the MOS, however, the Coaches' salary was an older issue which Anil expected the TTFA to resolve on their own.

Even if we get rid of Beenie the TTFA has to resolve this issue. The MOS cah bail them out.

Bear in mind they are given a buidget of 20-30 million TT EVERY YEAR.

The LOST FOKKING 80 MILLION DOLLARS they say they gave to JW which he has denied.

Why should the MOS bail them out?? FOKK dat, use the money given in your annual budget and at least make installments. FIND the money you gave to Jack. JW has publicly called you liars and you take like a a a pack of damn fools with no paper trail to support your claim and the money is just gone and everybody quiet.

Beenhakker must suffer for these fools. Hull dey ass!!!

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anything yet on the mystery sponsor?

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Anything yet on the mystery sponsor?

This is a job for Sherlock Hemlock

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
It was a claim of an announcement not a claim that it was announcement.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Question .... is this alleged  sponsorship associated with the  DEVELOPMENT in football in T&T ? ..or is it that we have found someone to pay off debts incurred by the football Federation/TTFA ? is it the TTFF debts we are settling or the TTFA debt ? Is the TTFF still owned by Oliver Camps and if so is it his debt we are referring to ? Is  the TTFA now the controlling body for football in T&T ? has the TTFF been wound up ? ...I am confused ...can anyone shed some light on these matters ? I should be grateful for your learned opinion

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hypocrisy Of the Corneal's in T&T Football
« Reply #551 on: April 30, 2014, 05:34:28 PM »
Before I start let me say that respect Anton & really think he needs to get out his father shadow.

Lets start with Arnold since he in the news, crying down everyone and talking about foreigners & respect for locals.

This is the same man who when he was in charge of Petrotrin football.
A: Hired a Foreign coach that led the team to the bottom three in the league
B: Bought a bunch of foreign players

The same man who once his brother had to step aside for Latapy refuse to release players for T&T National team duty.

Next is Alvin. who was Jack Warners main critic in the 70's on his radio talk show & several news paper articles.
Jack bought his loyalty with a FIFA / CONCACAF post & we never heard one criticism despite all that happened with the
Warner Administration. He uses the post to promote Anton to similar stature. Talk about nepotism & cornering the market.
The man who claimed that Beenie did nothing with the National team & was his critic to the end.

Look I could go on but I think everyone here see the picture. Pure Hypocrisy  :bs:

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Leo Beenhakker Thread.
« Reply #552 on: May 09, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »
Leo Beenhakker ranks 9th on a list of Holland's 10 greatest football managers. Jan Zwartkruis (deceased), who was T&T’s coach for a brief spell in the 1980s also makes the list.

http://feeds.bleacherreport.com/articles/2051630-ranking-the-netherlands-10-greatest-managers/page/3
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 15, 2016, 06:04:17 AM »
I wonder if we could bring back Leo to assist Hart for a few games?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #554 on: January 23, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »
Beenhakker: Dennis is the Right Man for the Job.
TTFA Media.

Rijsbergen expresses support as well

Leo Beenhakker has endorsed Dennis Lawrence, saying that he believes the former Everton coach is the right man to take up the  position as head coach of the Trinidad and Tobago National Men’s Senior Team.

Lawrence was officially announced by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association as the head coach on Saturday and Beenhakker responded to a request for a statement by indicating that he was pleased that the man who scored the winning goal for T&T against Bahrain to qualify this country to the 2006 World Cup, was given the job, also wishing him the best in his new role.

“Dennis and I had a conversation by phone about two weeks ago about the item and I am very happy that he accepted the job,” Beenhakker told TTFA Media on Sunday.

“He has the authority, the personality and even more than that, the knowledge of the game to do a successful job and he deserves the support of the board, the media and the fans.

“Dennis was the guy who brought T&T in November 2005, as one of the players, for the first and only time to the World Cup in 2006,” Beenhakker continued.

“I am totally convinced that, with the support and confidence of everybody, he is the right man on the right place to realize a new successful chapter in history as national coach of T&T.”

Also expressing his support for Lawrence was Wim Rijsbergen, the assistant to Beenhakker during the 2006 campaign and a former head coach of T&T in 2007.

” I spoke the last couple of days with some people in Trinidad about the new coach. I thought that Dennis would be the best man for the job,’ Rijsbergen told TTFA Media on Sunday.

“I have been following him the last couple of years working with Roberto Martinez.

“I have been following Trinidad & Tobago since I left and I still feel positive about the time we had with a great bunch of players and staff to reach the World Cup 2006. I hope that Dennis and everybody involved will work together to turn around the results,” added Rijsbergen who is a former Netherlands player, appearing in the final of the 1974 and 1998 World Cups.

Beenhakker led T&T to World Cup qualification after joining as head coach after three matches in the Final Round of qualifying in 2005. Lawrence scored for T&T in Beenhakker’s first World Cup qualifying match in charge of T&T in a 2-0 win over Panama at the Hasely Crawford Stadium at the time. Beenhakker’s first two qualifying matches after taking the top post were against Panama and Mexico. Lawrence’s opening two qualifiers will be against Panama on March 24th and Mexico on March 28th at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>