June 15, 2024, 10:56:12 PM

Author Topic: When to quit your Phd!!  (Read 1415 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: When to quit your Phd!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:46:29 AM »
Feel like jumping?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
lol the PhD ponzi scheme coming to a crash. Imagine I can pay a steady stream of people way less than the janitors and have them grade all my papers, do all my research (while I take all the credit), and then turn around and pay me to sit in my class. So that they could chase the pie in the sky - flunk half ... and when they done, don't make sh!t and wasted their whole lives.  Like one of them brutal masters on them kung fu movies.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »
wow! de amount of confirming negativity seeping out of the replies, had no idea so many people does bail out of that degree so early
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
lol the PhD ponzi scheme coming to a crash. Imagine I can pay a steady stream of people way less than the janitors and have them grade all my papers, do all my research (while I take all the credit), and then turn around and pay me to sit in my class. So that they could chase the pie in the sky - flunk half ... and when they done, don't make sh!t and wasted their whole lives.  Like one of them brutal masters on them kung fu movies.

Don't hate because you couldn't cut the mustard...stop right now..and jump!  Ask Suruj wey he get his and join his club...

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »

Don't hate because you couldn't cut the mustard...stop right now..and jump!  Ask Suruj wey he get his and join his club...
nah, not me breds.  I happy with my janny wok from the start.  ;)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:19 AM »
Feel like jumping?

Nah Asylum.. i like Dutty here (ah bit shocked by d negativity) and personally i jus find it shocking that some Phd candidates give so many years towards trying tuh get dat paper and then become disenchanted and depressed because dey thought it wuz d be all and end all but it aint turn out tuh be what dey thought it would be....

Having said dat though...tis iz just a blog and Im sure there are so many people out there who have had a great academic exploits and experiences....towards earning ah doctorate
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:51:31 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
Yea i in the process of trying to figure out what to do here with my program.
Pros - That blog rel describe the struggle of a Phd. All the economic stuff make sense, but if u do a projection of earnings to say 60/65 with a PhD vs Masters, at least in the oil industry, its about equal. A phd cld actually narrow u if u not into academics, plus the thing at distracts is if u have an opportunity to jump now and get a good wuk. WHo knows what 3-5 years in the future will bring -tighter immigration laws/more economic hardships etc...
Cons - intangible of the Dr in front ur name. That alone opens doors that would not necessary open for u. You automatically are seen as a perosn who cld solve problem, be analytical and just plain and simple smart. The sky is the limit - u could get into politics/business etc easier.

All comes doen to the individual and where they are in life/personal feelings.
Now as I try this, i have anew found respect for ppl with phd's

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:38:43 AM »
Yea i in the process of trying to figure out what to do here with my program.
Pros - That blog rel describe the struggle of a Phd. All the economic stuff make sense, but if u do a projection of earnings to say 60/65 with a PhD vs Masters, at least in the oil industry, its about equal. A phd cld actually narrow u if u not into academics, plus the thing at distracts is if u have an opportunity to jump now and get a good wuk. WHo knows what 3-5 years in the future will bring -tighter immigration laws/more economic hardships etc...
Cons - intangible of the Dr in front ur name. That alone opens doors that would not necessary open for u. You automatically are seen as a perosn who cld solve problem, be analytical and just plain and simple smart. The sky is the limit - u could get into politics/business etc easier.

All comes doen to the individual and where they are in life/personal feelings.
Now as I try this, i have anew found respect for ppl with phd's

Imagine some lunatics hold two.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:41:01 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>