March 29, 2024, 04:45:33 AM

Author Topic: PNM Thread  (Read 10996 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
PNM Thread
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:49:52 AM »

PNM govt neglected young people of 2002

Published: Thu, 2011-09-15 23:56

I feel duty bound to pen this letter after listening to MP Donna Cox complaining of the People’s Partnership hijacking the Making Life Important programme and also of not being allowed to speak at its launch. The other reason is the level of debate in Parliament from the Opposition. This letter refers in the main to World Bank report No 220088TR, dated June 2000. I will quote extensively from this document as I go on.

At that time, 2000, I was the minister with responsibility for social development, sport, community development, gender affairs and consumer affairs. Please be aware what you read now was the situation in or prior to 2000. The report could very well be called a situational analysis of the youth: “In recent years Trinidad and Tobago has experienced increasing social problems relating to its youth population despite the economy’s improved performance. A major preoccupation of the government [UNC] is to understand the causes behind the situation and how to overcome them.”

The overall goal of the report was to assist, which would have ultimately led to an improved youth development programme. This now leads me to the objectives, which were:
 • Uncover and analyse key issues facing the youth.
 • Explore a rationale for investing in youth development activities.
 • Review current services for youth.
 • Examine policy and legislation relating to youth and capacity for implementation.
 • Propose intervention to reduce the risks faced by youths and increase the potential for social human capital development.

At the time the study was done there were two principal factors which increased youths’ risks. They were restricted access to a secondary education system and high-level youth unemployment. The report pointed to poverty, crime, drug culture, early sexual activity and pregnancy. The then government was credited for making progress in addressing these issues. I wish to quote this very interesting part that said “secondary education reform will take several years to be achieved.” Our government shortened this wait and immediately introduced universal secondary education. Remember?

On the transition to secondary education before we acted, a substantial number fell behind academically and about one-third was left out altogether: “Youth of African descent are particularly vulnerable in this regard.” The cost of youth crime and school dropouts provide strong arguments for investing in interventions to reach out to at-risk youths, the report opined. This document examined seriously education reform, training skills development, sport and youth activities, and programmes for specific risk groups. Investing in youth would have brought about significant social and economic benefits.

The report was very comprehensive as it analysed youth, their behaviour, their environment and risks they faced. The UNC government was forced out of office not long thereafter but in little time we had the Youth Affairs arm of the ministry pilot three projects in an attempt to curb the menace we saw coming. These projects targeted Datsnville in Enterprise, Gunhill, Cap de Ville, Point Fortin and Laventille. Concerted efforts were being made by various government agencies to chart positive paths ahead.
 As I mentioned earlier, this document, well researched, could have been a critical guide to have dealt with problems youths faced 11 years ago. I know the document was in the hands of the government (PNM) and was not heeded.

Today again, rather than acknowledging the problems of some of its core supporters, the Opposition plays politics. When I heard Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar in her winding up of the state of emergency debate announcing decisions to right the wrongs mean- ingfully, I remembered this re-port. There is hope. We must build our country, united and moored in sound moral and spiritual values. MP Cox, you were left out of a programme but your government neglected the young people of 2000 who are now adults. I would not have begrudged your government if you had hijacked this report.

Manohar Ramsaran
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:26:11 AM by Flex »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: PNM govt neglected young people of 2002
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:57:19 AM »
Manohar
Yuh chattin nonesense go do yuh wuk dat Griffith give yuh. Lets see how Sport Tourism take off under your astute leadership.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:33:49 PM »
Manohar
Yuh chattin nonesense go do yuh wuk dat Griffith give yuh. Lets see how Sport Tourism take off under your astute leadership.
errant nonsense.

He trying to get back in their good books after he make noise about too few COP people on State boards.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:26:18 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »
Manohar
errant nonesense.

He trying to get back in their good books after he make noise about too few COP people on State boards.

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT he need 2 also go campaign 4 d racist TTOC PREZ
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
PNM Thread
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
PNM BLANKED

Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PNM_BLANKED-131569748.html

By Ria Taitt Political Editor
October 11, 2011

Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs has rejected the People's National Movement's application for a public meeting at Piggott Corner on Friday.

The PNM, since 1987, has held a public meeting at Piggott Corner, Belmont, on the Friday following the presentation of the national budget.

The Commissioner's letter said he was acting under Regulation 7, which states that he has exclusive authority to determine whether or not a public meeting can be held. And in the exercise of that authority, he had made the determination that the meeting should not be held.

Opposition leader Dr Keith Rowley said yesterday that while the State of Emergency regulations prevent the gathering of people in meetings, it does not say meetings cannot take place. "It makes provision for the Commissioner of Police to grant permission for such meetings. But he must do so on the basis of whether such a meeting is a threat to public order and safety," Rowley said.

He added that once the Commissioner of Police was satisfied that such a gathering does not threaten public safety and order, he can give permission.

"So today I want to ask the Commissioner of Police—is he saying that a PNM public meeting in Belmont threatens public safety and order? Or is he saying that his political masters are telling him it (the rejection) must be done?" Rowley asked. "Any denial of our application means that the Commissioner is saying that this event threatens public safety and order. And we of the PNM are saying this is absolute hogwash!" Rowley said.

"A PNM meeting in Belmont on a tradition of 20-odd years in no way threatens public safety and order in Trinidad and Tobago. And this (denial) is just the police obstructing legitimate political activity, by a premier political party whose 55 years in this country has been nothing but responsible in conducting public business," Rowley said.

Saying that the Commissioner's stance meant the party could not hold meetings until after December 7 (when the State of Emergency expires), Rowley said this was what the PNM meant when it said Government was maintaining the State of Emergency to suppress political activity.

"This is an unwarranted obstruction of legitimate political activity permissible under the State of Emergency and the CoP would not be able to convince anybody that a PNM meeting at Piggott Corner, something which people have looked forward to every year after every budget, that that threatens public safety and order. He must tell me how, in what form, way and manner," Rowley said.

He said the PNM would continue to apply, and would make another application today for a public meeting in Arima next Wednesday.

The Commissioner's letter, dated October 11, acknowledged the party's request to hold a "public meeting", but said, in accordance with Regulation 7 (1) he was unable to accede to "your request to hold a public march".

Stating that a march was different from a meeting and required a different kind of security, Rowley said the party also wanted to know whether the Commissioner's consideration was done in the context of a march, "which we never applied for".

Regulation 7 (1) of the Emergency Powers Regulations states: "Except with prior permission in writing of the Commissioner of Police, the grant of which shall be in his discretion, no person shall hold or take part in any public march or in any public meeting."

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:15:11 AM by Flex »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: PNM BLANKED
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:11:59 AM »
Looks like democracy in T&T is now dead and colonialism is alive & kicking!

We now have a foreign national telling one of our main political parties that they can't have a peaceful political meeting and using SOE as the excuse!

If it wasn't clear to all before it is now clear who Gibbs is working for and it is not on behalf of the normal citizen in T&T!

Maybe this is the real reason why the SOE has been unnecessarily extended hence no official reason has been given!

Talk about a creeping dictorship!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:21:35 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:26 AM »
Looks like democracy is T&T is now dead and colonialism is alive& kicking!

We now have a foreign national telling one of our main political parties that they can't have a peaceful political meeting and using SOE as the excuse!

If it wasn't clear to all before it is now clear who Gibbs is working for and it is not on behalf of the normal citizen in T&T!

Maybe this is the real reason why the SOE has been unnecessarily extended hence no official reason has been given!

Nah Manning was movin 2 slow we needed a full fledge dictatorship so we happy now.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »

Nah Manning was movin 2 slow we needed a full fledge dictatorship so we happy now.

two words: duplicitous & canting

Offline bibbillpaul

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »
So dey sey becarefull what you ask for .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »
So dey sey becarefull what you ask for .

Nah when u in a goodish house a bad house does call yuh. It goodish because PNM eh good but d by far betta than these jokers at d helm at d moment.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »
This is an obscene abuse of power and a violation of our democratic rights. Please end the state of emergency and curfew. This is just wrong. Please , stop it !

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »

so i assume you supported despotism in the former

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
This is an obscene abuse of power and a violation of our democratic rights. Please end the state of emergency and curfew. This is just wrong. Please , stop it !

why rowley can't conduct the public meeting after the SOE?

Regulation 7 (1) of the Emergency Powers Regulations states: "Except with prior permission in writing of the Commissioner of Police, the grant of which shall be in his discretion, no person shall hold or take part in any public march or in any public meeting."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »

Of course I did yuh did not know Manning is meh man.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »

i remember that, sam i believe pointed out your Extracurricular activities, so i totally understand your support

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »

i remember that, sam i believe pointed out your Extracurricular activities, so i totally understand your support

Yep got 2 stand by my man.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »

Yep got 2 stand by my man.

can't blame you, but patos wouldn't appreciate your affection for rowley, next ting yuh end up on cheaters TT, or worse,crimewatch with ian alleyne  :D

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »
Ent it had a march or public gathering by the TOP in Tobago recently during the SOE?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »

Everybody has a right to an opinion but your supine acquiescence to this campaign of the government is intolerable. I know what the law says which is why I said they're abusing it. The TOP was allowed to hold a demonstration in Scarbrough. The PNM is not being unreasonable and they made the relevant requests to hold a meeting. Where is the state of emergency and how does this meeting endanger the public in any way ?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »
Ent it had a march or public gathering by the TOP in Tobago recently during the SOE?

No it was a walk as part of their Sports and family day I was led 2 blieve.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »

You really out to prove you is either ah dunce, ah dumbarse or both.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner offers Centre of Excellence to PNM for meeting
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »
ctntworld.com

Mr Jack Warner has offered Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley the use of his building, the Centre of Excellence, to hold a public meeting.

In a statement, Mr Warner said he wanted to assure Dr Rowley and the PNM that there is no political interference in the denial of his application to hold a public meeting at Piggott Corner in Belmont on Friday 14th October 2011.

He stated,” The People's Partnership Government will never interfere with nor seek to influence the Office of the Commissioner of Police in any matter especially as in those related to the politics and politicians of Trinidad and Tobago. In an effort to assist, I want to offer the Honourable Dr Rowley the use of the Centre of Excellence for free, to conduct his public meeting. The proposed meeting will be indoor and in a fully air conditioned space that comfortably holds over 10,000 persons."

Minister Warner also offered to assist in transportation to thousands of PNM members who may wish to attend the event.

He added, "This I offer in good faith to show the extent to which I am prepared to go to allow Dr. Rowley to convince the national community of his irrelevance to local politics one more time."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
ctntworld.com

Mr Jack Warner has offered Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley the use of his building, the Centre of Excellence, to hold a public meeting.

In a statement, Mr Warner said he wanted to assure Dr Rowley and the PNM that there is no political interference in the denial of his application to hold a public meeting at Piggott Corner in Belmont on Friday 14th October 2011.

He stated,” The People's Partnership Government will never interfere with nor seek to influence the Office of the Commissioner of Police in any matter especially as in those related to the politics and politicians of Trinidad and Tobago. In an effort to assist, I want to offer the Honourable Dr Rowley the use of the Centre of Excellence for free, to conduct his public meeting. The proposed meeting will be indoor and in a fully air conditioned space that comfortably holds over 10,000 persons."

Minister Warner also offered to assist in transportation to thousands of PNM members who may wish to attend the event.

He added, "This I offer in good faith to show the extent to which I am prepared to go to allow Dr. Rowley to convince the national community of his irrelevance to local politics one more time."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
 :devil: :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
Allyuh know how I feel about jack!! but I have too, have to  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: at his invitation to Rowley

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
jack slapping blatter with one hand and clouting rowley with the other, lol! ethics aside, this man is a boss oui!
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »

Everybody has a right to an opinion but your supine acquiescence to this campaign of the government is intolerable. I know what the law says which is why I said they're abusing it. The TOP was allowed to hold a demonstration in Scarbrough. The PNM is not being unreasonable and they made the relevant requests to hold a meeting. Where is the state of emergency and how does this meeting endanger the public in any way ?

intolerable for the partisan supporters of the PNM? Your woolgathering has reached the tipping point with a mere question that neither implicates or endorses the action of the PP.

Your apparent frustration is getting the better of you and your rational judgement of posters neutral stance. Please refrain from insults, it is not only juvenile but benighted.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 09:30:38 PM »
Regulation 7 (1) of the Emergency Powers Regulations states: "Except with prior permission in writing of the Commissioner of Police, the grant of which shall be in his discretion, no person shall hold or take part in any public march or in any public meeting.

The key phrase is "the grant of which shall be in his discretion". Gibbs could say that in his opinion, a family day in an area not deemed a crime hotspot is less likely to cause civil unrest than a full fledged political public meeting in a "hotspot" where many police raids and arrests have taken place.

I don't understand why an indoor meeting would be less volatile than an outdoor meeting, but I suppose the police could contain any trouble easier.

I sincerely hope this isn't a political decision by Gibbs because its too damn obvious if it is.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »

intolerable for the partisan supporters of the PNM? Your woolgathering has reached the tipping point with a mere question that neither implicates or endorses the action of the PP.

Your apparent frustration is getting the better of you and your rational judgement of posters neutral stance. Please refrain from insults, it is not only juvenile but benighted.

You take offense so easily and never actually address the comments made .The idea that someone could support the act of the state preventing or restricting political/civic activity is beyond my comprehension and is absolutely intolerable. My political affiliation is not a mystery I don't dodge the fact that I support the PNM . Surely you must consider that one thoughts and feelings have more depth than their political affiliation. Your presumptions weaken your argument invariably your credibility. My word, how do you reasonably justify this decision.

There has been no mutiny or insurrection, there has been no violent revolution or natural disaster why are our democratic rights being taken away from us ? And even if this SoE was legitimate which upon all evidence so far it isn't, how is the decision to prevent this meeting along with public meetings of the unions a threat to the public. It is passing strange that an SoE that by its latest reasoning was implemented to tackle gang activity also necessitates a banning of peaceful meetings . 

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 11:37:45 AM »
ctntworld.com

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

... yuh notice the concacaf gone from the centre of excellence ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>