March 29, 2024, 01:45:14 AM

Author Topic: Vancouver Whitecaps add defender Carlyle Mitchell to their MLS roster  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whitecaps FC add defender Carlyle Mitchell to their MLS roster
whitecapsfc.com

Ahead of Thursday's Major League Soccer (MLS) roster freeze for the 2011 season, Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the signing of Trinidad & Tobago centre back Carlyle Mitchell - pending his international transfer certificate. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“Carlyle is a young, athletic prospect that provides additional depth to the centre back position,” said Tom Soehn, Whitecaps FC acting head coach and director of soccer operations.

Mitchell, 24, joins Whitecaps FC after starting his professional career with Joe Public FC in the Trinidad & Tobago Professional Football League (TT Pro League). In 2009, the defender helped Joe Public to the league championship, Trinidad & Tobago Cup (FA Trophy), Trinidad & Tobago Classic, and Trinidad & Tobago Pro Bowl titles. In 2010, the centre back helped the Eastern Lions to a runners-up finish in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Club Champions' Cup competition behind Puerto Rico Islanders.

The native of Arima, Trinidad & Tobago, also appeared for Joe Public in two editions of the CONCACAF Champions League. The defender faced 2012 MLS expansion club Montreal Impact in the group stage of the inaugural 2008-09 competition before facing MLS Eastern Conference side Columbus Crew during the group stages of the 2010-11 competition.

Mitchell made his senior international debut for Trinidad & Tobago during a 3-1 friendly defeat at home to Caribbean rivals Jamaica on August 11, 2010. The centre back has since made three international appearances for The Soca Warriors. As a Trinidad & Tobago youth international, Mitchell made five appearances for his country's U-20 national team in 2006, while in 2007, he made four appearances with their U-23 squad in qualifying for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Carlyle Mitchell
Position: Defender
Height: 6-01
Weight: 165
Born: August 8, 1987, in Arima, Trinidad & Tobago
Last Club: Joe Public FC (TT Pro League)
Citizenship: Trinidad & Tobago

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver Whitecaps add defender Carlyle Mitchell to their MLS roster
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »
Great news. He deserves it. The TT Pro League is producing a new cadre of defenders that are becoming good exports for boosting of their skills and transfer money to the local clubs. T&T players are fairly well respected in North America. One does well, then two then they want more. Keep it up. Once that defense gets cork we will become a Concacaf power ... again
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »
Nice, nice!  Now, I hope that Pfister following this guy closely!.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
i remember wen carlyle was a striker for cali

good stuff
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »
very good stuff, good luck

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:18:11 AM »
6'1" and 165 lbs? OK then.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former Joe Public centre back Mitchell joins Whitecaps in first practice
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
Former Joe Public centre back Mitchell joins Whitecaps in first practice
By Marc Weber (The Province)

The Vancouver Whitecaps have been dreadful on attacking set pieces this season with just one goal coming from a corner.

Carlyle Mitchell hopes he can help in that department.

The Trinidad & Tobago centre back landed in Vancouver late Wednesday night and practised for the first time with his new teammates Thursday at Empire Field.

He signed just before the Sept. 15 roster freeze but visa issues delayed his arrival.

Mitchell, a lanky 24-year-old, played previously for Joe Public FC, a top team in Trinidad & Tobago.

"Back in Trinidad, I scored a lot of headers," he said. "It's one of my strong points."

Mitchell, who otherwise described his game as "simple," could see time with the Whitecaps reserves as soon as Monday when they host Portland at Swangard Stadium.

Whitecaps acting coach Tommy Soehn said Mitchell's height (6-foot-2) and agility should come in handy on set pieces.

"I look at our commitment to getting to the near post and making real runs," he said, "and we lack that effort, getting into those spots. There are certain guys who attack the ball, and [Mitchell] has got that mentality. On set pieces, I think he'll be a threat.

"First impressions, he had a decent day."

Mitchell was accompanied by his agent and former coach Derek King, who is helping him to settle in.

Joe Public withdrew from the 2011-12 T&T Pro League. The club is owned by Jack Warner, the former FIFA vice-president and CONCACAF head, who quit amid corruption allegations.

Vancouver expressed interest in Mitchell shortly after Joe Public bowed out for the season.

Mitchell's Trinidadian friends in MLS include Philadelphia Union's Keon Daniel and Julius James of the Columbus Crew.

Mitchell hadn't yet found a chance to talk to them about the move, but one day into training and he could already sense the step up was a big one.

"The intensity is very high," he said. "More than Trinidad. Fast, very fast. In Trinidad we play a bit slow, but I'm adapting to it."

How quickly he adapts will determine how quickly he sees time with the first team.

Soehn jettisoned French centre back Mouloud Akloul and his $150,000 salary mid-way through the season. Veteran Alain Rochat has moved into the middle from his left-back position and partnered Jay DeMerit.

New Zealand international, rookie Michael Boxall, has been Soehn's third choice ahead of Greg Janicki.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mitchell joins Whitecaps after visa issues resolved
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »
Mitchell joins Whitecaps after visa issues resolved
By Bruce Constantineau (Vancouver Sun)

Trinidad and Tobago international defender Carlyle Mitchell was without a club this summer after Joe Public FC withdrew from the TT Pro League.

But his stay in soccer No Man’s Land didn’t last long after his agent contacted him with some promising news earlier this month.

“I got a call from my agent saying the Whitecaps need a defender and (would I be interested),” he said. “I said of course. I would love to play for the Whitecaps.”

So the 24-year-old centre back signed a Major League Soccer contract with the Vancouver Whitecaps just before the Sept. 15 roster freeze and finally arrived in Vancouver late Wednesday.

Visa issues delayed his arrival and he had his first training session with his new club Thursday at Empire Field.

“As a footballer, your dream is to go higher and this is a stepping stone,” Carlyle said after practice. “MLS is a big step. It will be better for me and the national team.”

He joins several other Trinidad and Tobago internationals in MLS — including Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Chris Birchall, Philadelphia Union midfielder Keon Daniel, Columbus Crew defender Julius James, Sporting KC defender Daneil Cyrus and San Jose forward Scott Sealy.

“The intensity here is very high,” Carlyle said, when asked for his first impressions of play at MLS level. “I’ve seen the league on TV. It’s a great league with great crowd support and great media coverage. Everything is professional.”

The six-foot-one, 165-pound defender said he’s strong in the air and likes to keep play “simple.”

“I score off a lot of headers,” he said.

Whitecaps goalkeeping coach Marius Rovde, a former goalkeeping coach for Joe Public, said Mitchell showed great promise with the Trinidad & Tobago club.

“He has great speed and is extremely good in the air — a good old-fashioned stopper,” he said. “He’s also very good on offensive set pieces and scored eight to 10 goals off set pieces every season with Joe Public. I think he’s ready for this league.”

Whitecaps interim head coach Tom Soehn felt Mitchell had a “decent” day of training considering he just arrived.

“At the end, I felt he got a little bit tired and got exposed but he communicates and he’s athletic,” he said. “Offensively, I think he’s going to be a threat because he’s pretty agile.”

Soehn said his squad hasn’t been good enough on scoring off set pieces this season, noting a lack of effort in making real runs and getting to the near post.

Mitchell might help in that area.

“There are certain guys who really go and attack the ball and he’s got that mentality,” Soehn said. “Where he fits in the picture, though, we’ve only had one day (to look at him).”

Mitchell could make his Vancouver debut in the reserve league game against the Portland Timbers at Swangard Stadium on Monday.

Soehn said centre backs Jay DeMerit and Alain Rochat have played well recently but he still wants them to be more vocal and organizational — to solve problems before they turn into goals.

“We have to make sure we keep our shape and tuck guys in before it breaks down,” he said. “We’re reactionary now and that’s a problem. We have to continue to be better. If we don’t solve it, then we’ve got to find someone who can.”

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »
Play your ball son!

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
Carlyle Mitchell impressing early for Whitecaps
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:37:52 PM »
Trinidadian defender Mitchell impressing early for 'Caps
Big center back brought in to shore up Vancouver on set pieces
OCTOBER 5, 2011
Martin MacMahon
MLSsoccer.com

VANCOUVER, B.C. – It’s early days, but deadline-day signing Carlyle Mitchell seems to be quietly impressing the Vancouver Whitecaps.

The Trinidad and Tobago international signed for the Whitecaps just before the roster freeze but didn’t join up with the club for practices until last week due to paperwork.

“He’s a good athlete,” captain Jay DeMerit told MLSsoccer.com after training on Tuesday. “Obviously, with the first couple of days, he’s still trying to find his feet, but I think he’ll be a good asset to our squad and as the season goes on we’ll see if he can filter into the team and do his job, because I know that’s what he’s here to do.

The 24-year-old joined the club from Trinidadian side Joe Public, which plays in the TT Pro League and is owned by former FIFA vice president Jack Warner.

Scoring has been a problem for the ‘Caps this season, especially off set pieces, so while Mitchell is primarily a defender, the hope is that the 6-foot-1 center back can make the side more dangerous on restarts.

“He’s got a lot of qualities than translate well to our league,” interim head coach Tom Soehn said. “The difficulty is him only being here a week, but the athleticism and his feet – you see a lot of qualities you think you can build off. And he’s very aggressive off set pieces, which you like.”

Mitchell played his first organized match with Vancouver during the club’s 1-0 Reserve League loss to the Portland Timbers on Monday, and the first thing he noticed was the increased pace of MLS.

“The standard was a pretty good standard – faster than my league back home,” he said. “I adapted very good, but made one or two mistakes. But we’ll work on that in training.”

While Mitchell’s determined to improve, he’s also very aware of why he was brought in and what the ‘Caps need from him.

“I’ll bring my defensive skills to this team, which are being strong in the air, defending free kicks and corners and working with the rest of the back four,” he explained. “Attacking free kicks, attacking corners – any attacking corners or free kicks I’ll try my best to get my head onto it.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/05/trinidadian-defender-mitchell-impressing-early-caps

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
He's in the starting lineup for tonight's match against Real Salt Lake.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 10:18:47 PM »

First start and first clean sheet. Good start Carlyle!

Whitecaps 3 - RSL 0
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 05:26:48 AM »

First start and first clean sheet. Good start Carlyle!

Whitecaps 3 - RSL 0

Mitchell’s debut was a clean sheet – the club’s first win and shutout since Aug. 27 against Houston Dynamo at Empire Field.

“I thought he played well,” Joe Cannon said after the game. “It was probably a nice night for him. Probably about half the game we were up a man, so it was nice. I thought he had a bit of bite to him – a good first game.”

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/10/vancouvers-lineup-shuffle-leads-big-win-vs-rsl

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:34:46 AM »
well done boss keep up the hard work  :beermug:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 07:17:53 AM »