March 28, 2024, 05:10:40 AM

Author Topic: Georgetown basketball left out with realignment.  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Georgetown basketball left out with realignment.
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
It appears that Syracuse and Pittsburg are going to join the ACC. Big East will be scrunting for talent. Georgetown will be left out in the cold. I also read that Connecticut and Rutgers are also seriously contemplating moving to the ACC, making it a 16 team conference some time in the near future.  College football is the driving force behind collegiate sports realignment. If this happens, that will be a super conference. Acc will dominate the entire east coast in collegiate sports.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown basketball left out with realignment.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
The NCAA doesn't share much of the money they get from CBS for the NCAA tournament (about 700million a year) so that just pushing the schools to follow the football tv money even more. Eventually the handful of remaining super conferences will start demanding their share of the March Madness money one way or the other.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »
You know I was just coming to start a thread on this. I'm hearing Pitt and Syracuse left because left felt sour after the Big East did not take a tv deal with ESPN this year and I think they stuck with CBS/Big East Network. They and a few more instituitions are not pleased with the revenue they currently earn in the Big East with that network and have left, with others threatening to leave.

Thing about it according to Syracuse bball coach Jim Boeheim says the moves all come down to football and the earnings from football but Pitt and Syracuse are not traditionally known for football.

Let's hope the Big East can become aggressive and acquire some quality institutions who are big name players in athletics like TCU, Navy, Iwoa St, Kanas St, etc. and avoid being picked apart. The ACC will be the powerhouse in basketball though, esp if uconn leaves.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »
Actually Pitt and Syracuse do have very good football. But they also have great basketball. Yes footbal is driving this whole episode. Pitt and Syracuse will definitely enhanced both ACC's football and basketball. It will certainly be a superconference. And don't forget the academic part of this equation. All the ACC schools are top academic schools. I can't imagine what the ratings going to be when or if Connecticut and Rutgers join. Miami,Florida, Ceo. Tech, Clemson, Duke, Wake Forest, NC and NC state, VA, VA Tech.,Maryland, BC. Actually can't wait. Then ACC soccer will so competitive. Wow!!!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
I got this email today from our AD...seems like the Big East isn't giving up hope since the hot topic around here is where WVU will end up.

Oliver Luck statement on conference discussions:
"President Clements and I represented West Virginia University at last night's BIG EAST meeting in New York. The group concluded the meeting with a strategy to recruit top level BCS-caliber institutions that match the league's strong athletic and academic histories and traditions. "As I stated before, WVU is an excellent flagship, land-grant University, with national-caliber athletic and academic programs. We are, and will remain, a national player in college athletics.  "The conference office will coordinate any further discussion on this issue."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »
The NCAA doesn't share much of the money they get from CBS for the NCAA tournament (about 700million a year) so that just pushing the schools to follow the football tv money even more. Eventually the handful of remaining super conferences will start demanding their share of the March Madness money one way or the other.

Actually they do... and tournament teams get an extra cut, which is why the cinderellas and mid-majors always cry down the "favoritism" shown to granting the big conference schools extra spots.  The thing is that not even tournament money could match the kind of money that football brings in.  America is a footballing nation and college football by far is the number one varsity sport.  Schools with so so football programs always looking for ways to move up to bigger conferences so that they could command part of the sponsorships, gates, TV and Bowl revenue.

Basketball is GU's only revenue-generating sport, and safe to say, without it I could not have afford to attend Georgetown as a great deal is used to support financial aid.  So for me, nostalgia aside this is a very personal loss... and trust, there will be a loss.  Minus the money that a conference such as the Big East commands, the financial hit to GU will be huge.  The needs of the program will be met thru sponsorship deals with Nike and other local and national partnerships etc.  However, the revenue hit to the University will be difficult to weather, particularly at a time when we are working so hard to increase the size of our endowment.  We compete with the Ivy League schools for top students, but don't have the money to throw at them like the Ivies... I should know, every year we lose students who I've personally interviewed, to other schools who can offer them a full ride.  In today's economy, prestige is nice, but money talks.

I am very disappointed with Syracuse... rivalry aside, I've always loved the football program. Jim Brown, Ernie Davis., Darryl "Moose" Johnston... HOFers. Don McPherson, Marvin Graves, Donovan McNabb... pioneering black QBs.  Then you have perennial all-pros like Dwight Freeney and Marvin Harrison... then my boy David Tyree with the helmet grab.  But they let mih down here... as a founding member ah would never have expected this sort of betrayal from them.  Pitt is some dirty facking dogs too... the Big East just turn down a HUGE TV deal with ESPN... a deal that Pitt voted against, and now they bolting.  That is money that would have tided over the league for the next 10 years in a declining market when it's set to lose (at least) two of it's premier programs.  Real poor.  But say what... that is life, the league have to now get creative, partner with the right schools and find a way to succeed inspite of the odds.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:57:23 AM »
The NCAA doesn't share much of the money they get from CBS for the NCAA tournament

Actually they do... and tournament teams get an extra cut, which is why the cinderellas and mid-majors always cry down the "favoritism" shown to granting the big conference schools extra spots.  The thing is that not even tournament money could match the kind of money that football brings in. 

ok, thanks for the correction. Football really have a lot of money in it.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
The NCAA doesn't share much of the money they get from CBS for the NCAA tournament

Actually they do... and tournament teams get an extra cut, which is why the cinderellas and mid-majors always cry down the "favoritism" shown to granting the big conference schools extra spots.  The thing is that not even tournament money could match the kind of money that football brings in. 

ok, thanks for the correction. Football really have a lot of money in it.
Gross understatement...take for example Penn State the stadium holds 100,000 and tie into that parking, concession and game-day merchandising you're looking easily at a minimum of 3 mil for 3 hours....

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
Actually Pitt and Syracuse do have very good football. But they also have great basketball. Yes footbal is driving this whole episode. Pitt and Syracuse will definitely enhanced both ACC's football and basketball. It will certainly be a superconference. And don't forget the academic part of this equation. All the ACC schools are top academic schools. I can't imagine what the ratings going to be when or if Connecticut and Rutgers join. Miami,Florida, Ceo. Tech, Clemson, Duke, Wake Forest, NC and NC state, VA, VA Tech.,Maryland, BC. Actually can't wait. Then ACC soccer will so competitive. Wow!!!

I don't think Pitt's football team is that good but then the ACC is no football powerhouse. They've been struggling for the past few years.
With basketball Jamie Dixon will have to step up recruiting. The ACC is a basketball powerhouse and I think Pitt will be in for a rude awakening but then the draw of playing in the ACC may boost his ability to recruit.
With regards to soccer rumor has it that both coaches may be gone. Luxbacher has been there 20-something years but who knows if he is ready to retire but definitely has a group of B average players.
Su Moy on the other hand don't know how she recruits. She has the budget but is not getting the quality.
 My personal opinion is that some trini man spoil she and send she to de other side and she never recover from that.  Dais jess my theory.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
My personal opinion is that some trini man spoil she and send she to de other side and she never recover from that.  Dais jess my theory.
Like yuh have some inside info dey dread ::)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »
Su Moy. Who is she?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:02:12 PM »
Su Moy. Who is she?
Like yuh have some inside info dey dread ::)
well I sayin so cause she does only watch me cut eye

Deeks Su Moy is the Pitt women's coach ah Canadian yardie...

1]; } ?>