March 29, 2024, 02:13:07 AM

Author Topic: Women’s 100m Sub-11 Club!  (Read 39026 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Women’s 100m Sub-11 Club!
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
Similar to what I have done for the men, I would also like to compile a list of the top women sprinters by country who have legally run under 11s in the 100m sprint.

We expect that USA, Jamaica and the Bahamas would be high on this list but what about T&T and the other sprint countries?

I did a search on the internet and couldn’t find such a list anywhere so I’ve now decided to try compiling one myself right here on this board for reference!

Will appreciate if you guys will point me in the right direction if you already know of a list of Sub-11 100m women sprinters on the internet with preferably a breakdown by athlete and country! Thanks!!

Women 100m Sub-11s By country
(All time list, only legal sub-11s are counted)
=============================
 Nation => No. of athletes with sub-11s

United States =>       25
 Jamaica =>                  9
 Bahamas =>                 6
 Germany =>                  6
 Russia =>                      4
 Nigeria =>                     4
 France =>                     3
 Bulgeria =>                   2
 China =>                      2
 Trinidad & Tobago => 1
 Ukrane =>                    1
 Greece =>                    1
 Canada =>                   1
 Belarus =>                   1
 Poland =>                    1
 Cameron =>                 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Total of 16 Countries with 68 Women Sub-11 Athletes
======================================

NB: I will do my best to keep stats up to date as new female athletes around the world run legal sub-11s.

T&T is currently joint 10th on the list with just 1 official sub-11 athlete at the moment, Kelly-Ann Baptiste!
If Hackett & MLA can step-up in time for Olympics next year and get a few sub-11s under their belts as well then we would have moved up to joint 7th with France on the Sub-11s by Country list!

Of individual USA women sprinters with Sub-11s, I believe Evelyn Ashford of USA is one of the leaders on the USA list with 30 legal 100m sub-11s. We all know that Jeter and quite a few other top female American sprinters should be on the USA list which I will expand on as I gather more info.

Jamaica will definitely have Merlene Ottey leading their list with over 100 sub-11s in her illustrious career! Will update JA's list and the others as soon as I have collated all the information I've gathered!

NB: Not sure if we should include the Russian & German female sprinters of the 80's to early 90's on this list because we all know they had a state funded drugs programme to help give their athletes an unfair advantage during that period. This may also apply to female sprinters from other parts of the world who have since been caught & banned for using performance enhancement drugs over the years.

Click links here for stats confirmation & more details:-
http://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_100ok.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Ashford
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmelita_Jeter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlene_Ottey-Page

USA women sprinters with 100m Sub-11s
(only legal sub-11s are counted)
Name of Athlete ::::: No. of Sub-11s => Sub-11s Breakdown (Time, Windspeed, Location & Date)

Evelyn Ashford :::: 30 =>
 Flo-Jo :::: ___ =>
 Carmelita Jeter  :::: ___ =>
 More names to be added once details confirmed...

Jamaica women sprinters with 100m Sub-11s
Name of Athlete ::::: No. of Sub-11s => Sub-11s Breakdown (Time, Windspeed, Location & Date)

Merlene Ottey :::: at least 100 =>
 Veronica Campbell-Brown :::: ___ =>
 Shelly-Ann Fraser :::: ___ =>
 Kerron Stewart :::: ___ =>

Bahamas women sprinters with 100m Sub-11s

Chandra Sturrup :::: ___ =>
 Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie :::: ___ =>

T&T women sprinters with 100m Sub-11s

Kelly-Ann Baptiste :::: 9 => In the process of collating stats for breakdown.
NB: I will do my best to update these stats as more T&T sprinters around the world run legal sub-11s.
You can also click on athlete's name for link to their IAAF bio.

And of the T&T women sprinters with sub-11s, I believe Kelly-Ann Baptiste leads the pack!!
Or is she the only one? And if so who else is likely to join her? :thinking:

This thread is to discuss which of our current crop of T&T women sprinters are most likely to run a sub-11 or two or more next season and join the Women's 100m Sub-11 Club or can increase the number of sub-11s they have under their belt as we get ready for fielding a medal strong 4 x 100m relay team at the Olympics next year as well as having a few more ladies making the individual 100m final!

Please also help with any information you can provide as to the actual sub-11 times, windspeeds, locations and dates for any of the women sprinters who are already members of the Sub-11 Club so we can add to their sub-11 stats information above!

We would also like to discussion which one of our upcoming women sprinters in your eyes has the ability to challenge KAB for her spot as the number one women sprinter from T&T and also in the 100m Sub-11 department!

Many thanks for your help & participation!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:19:47 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Women’s 100m Sub-11 Club!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »
Merlene actually has over 100. allathletics I believe is the site.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »
Merlene actually has over 100. allathletics I believe is the site.

Okay, thanks for that!!
I'll check stats and update my version on here!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:20:03 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
Yuh could go and look dem up and get de details. Doh buss meh head if it have any mistakes  ;D

USA
Florence Griffith-Joyner
Carmelita Jeter
Marion Jones
Evelyn Ashford
Dawn Sowell
Torri Edwards
Inger Miller
Gail Devers
Gwen Torrence
Sheila Echols
Muna Lee
Diane Williams
Chryste Gaines
Marshevet Myers
Lauryn Williams
Shalonda Solomon
Alice Brown
D'Andre Hill
Allyson Felix
Carlette Guidry
Me'Lisa Barber
Valerie Brisco
LaShauntea Moore
LaTasha Colander
Sanya Richards-Ross

JAMAICA
Shelley Ann Fraser-Pryce
Merlene Ottey
Kerron Stewart
Veronica Campbell-Brown
Sherone Simpson
Juliet Cuthbert
Tayna Lawrence
Simone Facey
Beverly McDonald

GERMANY
Marlies Göhr (East)
Marita Koch (East)
Bärbel Wöckel (East)
Silke Möller
Katrin Krabbe
Heike Drechsler

BAHAMAS
Chandra Sturrup
Sevatheda Fynes
Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie
Eldece Clarke-Lewis
Pauline Davis-Thompson

RUSSIA
Irina Privalova
Galina Malchugina
Marina Zhirova
Natalya Voronova

NIGERIA
Chioma Ajunwa
Glory Alozie
Mary Onyali
Damola Osayomi

FRANCE
Christine Arron
Marie-José Pérec
Muriel Hurtis-Houairi

BULGARIA
Ivet Lalova
Anelia Nuneva

CHINA
Li Xuemei
Liu Xiaomei

UKRAINE
Zhanna Block

GREECE
Ekateríni Thánou

CANADA
Angela Bailey

BELARUS
Yuliya Nesterenko

POLAND
Ewa Kasprzyk

CAMEROON
Myriam Mani

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
Kelly-Ann Baptiste (9 times)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »
Thanks Tallman!
Please don't tell me yuh did that off yuh head?!  :worried:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »
Thanks Tallman!

Yuh is ah kinda madman or wha  ;D

Look here: http://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_100ok.htm
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
Thanks Tallman!

Yuh is ah kinda madman or wha  ;D

Look here: http://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_100ok.htm

Okay cool and thanks again!
I was getting quite worried there for a minute!!  :laugh:

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 06:45:55 AM »
Grace Jackson ran a sub11 in Seoul, 1988.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:23:22 PM by willi »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 06:52:10 AM »
Grace Jackson ran a sub10 in Seoul, 1988.

Seriously?!! It must have been illegal otherwise it would have been recorded as the current world record!!
Is there any video footage to refresh our memories?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:28:43 AM by Socapro »

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 07:08:42 AM »
10.96s in the final, but it may have been windy.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:27:48 AM »

Or that makes more sense!! You should have said sub-11, not sub-10, you mis-typed!! 8)

If any women sprinter was to run a sub-10 then as well as being a new WR and making headlines around the world that would raise serious alarm bells!!

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
Thanks for the list hoping to see more in the future for us i think Semoy Hackett will most likely run one next year!

I wonder if Grace must look back and think that she could have been the female Usain Bolt with those long legs. I definitely think she could have been! I hope Nyoka Giles takes a tip or two from both Grace and Usain and maximise her potential!

I hope all our athletes can stay injury free. I'm definitely looking forward to see what Kelly is guna do net year. I want to see her in the 200 too.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
Thanks for the list hoping to see more in the future for us i think Semoy Hackett will most likely run one next year!

I wonder if Grace must look back and think that she could have been the female Usain Bolt with those long legs. I definitely think she could have been! I hope Nyoka Giles takes a tip or two from both Grace and Usain and maximise her potential!

I hope all our athletes can stay injury free. I'm definitely looking forward to see what Kelly is guna do net year. I want to see her in the 200 too.

According to Nyoka Giles' bio: http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=tri/athcode=227761/index.html
she's got far to go to get her 100m personal best down from where it is now to below 11 seconds but if she works very hard at it then it seems she has the talent and physical tools to do it!

Wishing her and all our other hardworking female athletes the best for next season!!
Hope they all stay healthy and injury free then once they put in the hard work then anything is possible!
Got to believe you can do it before you can do it!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:11:51 AM by Socapro »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 06:19:20 AM »
Agreed Soca! She got a lot of work to do but i believe she can do it if she puts the work in. I just had to post this it's the women's 100m in Brussels BUT it includes the intro listen to where they say Kelly is from LOL!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxqwx9yqAII" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wxqwx9yqAII</a>

When she does those 200's and gets that speed endurance and is able to hold her top-end better and maintain those high knees and run tall she will be extremely dangerous! She is already solid out of the blocks.

One more thing- in the 4x100m did you see the poor form that Michelle has? When they did the front view and it showed her 'next' to Carmelita the difference in technique was astounding. Yet she is so fast someone needs to correct that! I know she is more than 10 years younger that Jeets but technique is the most important part of sprinting and needs to start from as early as possible!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:29:50 AM by Trini1 »

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:48 AM »
One more thing- in the 4x100m did you see the poor form that Michelle has?

Agreed. She has a very poor technique, yet very talented. If her coach is Ken Barton from Spectrum, I will not hold my breath for her technique to improve. A friend told me that her mum used to run for Hampton and had one of the best running techniques in Trini. I cant remember who her mum is, but if that is the case, maybe MLA should should get some tips from her mum.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »

Agreed. She has a very poor technique, yet very talented. If her coach is Ken Barton from Spectrum, I will not hold my breath for her technique to improve. A friend told me that her mum used to run for Hampton and had one of the best running techniques in Trini. I cant remember who her mum is, but if that is the case, maybe MLA should should get some tips from her mum.

I have read elsewhere that MLA will now be coached by Trevor Hewitt.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »

I have read elsewhere that MLA will now be coached by Trevor Hewitt.

If Hewitt can correct/improve her running technique then MLA will be our next sub-11 women sprinter close on the heels of Hackett!!  :)

Imagine if we could have 3 or even 4 healthy sub-11 women sprinters on our Women 4 x 100m relay team for Olympics next year with enough regular relay practice under their belts?!  8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:30:02 AM by Socapro »

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »

IMHO Hackett will also need to improve her technique to go sub 11. More upright in the second half of the race, higher knee lift and straighter arm movements. I saw KAB a few years ago and her technique was also very poor. No surprise that her current form has corresponded with an improvement in her technique.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:30:10 AM by behind-de-bridge »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »

I've just found the official time Grace Jackson was listed as running in Seoul is 10.97s here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1988_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_100_metres but for some reason they did not list the official windspeed.

Also see does not have her 100m PB time listed in her bio which is strange even though she did try her hand regularly at a few 100m races. Go here to confirm: http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=jam/athcode=60844/index.html

If anyone can confirm the official windspeed and if the wind was legal then I can add Grace Jackson to the Jamaica sub-11 women 100m list above!
Can anyone confirm the official windspeed during that Seoul 1988 women 100m final?
Many thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:49:31 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »

I've just found the official time Grace Jackson was listed as running in Seoul is 10.97s here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1988_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_100_metres but for some reason they did not list the official windspeed.

Also see does not have her 100m PB time listed in her bio which is strange even though she did try her hand regularly at a few 100m races. Go here to confirm: http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=jam/athcode=60844/index.html

If anyone can confirm the official windspeed and if the wind was legal then I can add Grace Jackson to the Jamaica sub-11 women 100m list above!
Can anyone confirm the official windspeed during that Seoul 1988 women 100m final?
Many thanks!!

It was +3.0m/s

Fast forward to 3:10 to see the race and the windspeed at the end.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6V6Nx-jUehw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6V6Nx-jUehw</a>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:57:45 AM by Aviator »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »

Many thanks!!

It was +3.0m/s

Fast forward to 3:10 to see the race and the windspeed at the end.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6V6Nx-jUehw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6V6Nx-jUehw</a>

Many thanks for your help! 
So unfortunately that sub-11 by Grace Jackson of JA in that race was illegal so I can't really add her to the legal sub-11 lists above.
Btw the wind reading is actually shown at exactly 3:35 on the video.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:23:40 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
Kai Selvon has the potential to run close to 11s next season if not to also join the Sub-11s Club!
We must not forget the great potential she showed and how well she ran in Daegu in the 200m!
Here is a link to her bio: http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=tri/athcode=242992/index.htm
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:22:16 AM by Socapro »

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 02:29:48 AM »
Kai Selvon has the potential to run close to 11s next season if not to also join the Sub-11s Club!
We must not forget the great potential she showed and how well she ran in Daegu in the 200m!
Here is a link to her bio: http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=tri/athcode=242992/index.htm

Definitely. Hard training, proper coaching, diet, motivation and a level head will be the key. Oh and not too much limin'.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
Reference link:
http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists/inout=o/age=n/season=2011/sex=w/all=n/legal=A/disc=100/detail.html

Top Women's 100m Sub-11 times for 2011 (Updated:02/10/2011):
List below features best LEGAL Sub-11 100m times only!!
(Colour codes: Green => JAM, Blue => USA, Red => TRI, Black => Others)
WR 10.49 Florence Griffith-Joyner (USA) - Indianapolis, IN, 16/07/1988
==========================================================
Mark Wind   Athlete Nation DOB Pos Venue Date
10.70   2.0   Carmelita Jeter USA   24/11/1979   1      Eugene, OR   04/06/2011
10.76   1.1   Veronica Campbell-Brown JAM   15/05/1982   1      Ostrava   31/05/2011
10.78   0.4   Carmelita Jeter      1      Bruxelles   16/09/2011
10.84   0.3   Veronica Campbell-Brown      1      Kingston (NS), JAM   24/06/2011
10.85   0.4   Veronica Campbell-Brown      2      Bruxelles   16/09/2011

10.86   1.9   Carmelita Jeter      1      Kingston (NS), JAM   07/05/2011
10.86   2.0   Marshevet Myers USA   25/09/1984   2      Eugene, OR   04/06/2011

10.87   2.0   Kerron Stewart JAM   16/04/1984   3      Eugene, OR   04/06/2011
10.87   1.6   Marshevet Myers      1h1      Eugene, OR   23/06/2011
10.88   1.7   Carmelita Jeter      1h3      Eugene, OR   23/06/2011
10.90   -1.4   Carmelita Jeter      1      Daegu   29/08/2011

10.90   0.4   Kelly-Ann Baptiste TRI   14/10/1986   3      Bruxelles   16/09/2011
10.91   0.6   Kelly-Ann Baptiste      1      Paris Saint-Denis   08/07/2011

10.92   1.2   Veronica Campbell-Brown      1      Shanghai   15/05/2011
10.93   -0.4   Carmelita Jeter      1      London (CP)   06/08/2011
10.94   1.9   Kelly-Ann Baptiste      2      Kingston (NS), JAM   07/05/2011
10.95   1.2   Carmelita Jeter      2      Shanghai   15/05/2011
10.95   2.0   Shelly-Ann Fraser - Pryce JAM   27/12/1986   4      Eugene, OR   04/06/2011
10.95   1.8   Veronica Campbell-Brown      1h1      Kingston (NS), JAM   24/06/2011
10.95   0.6   Veronica Campbell-Brown      2      Paris Saint-Denis   08/07/2011

10.96   0.8   Ivet Lalova BUL   18/05/1984   1      Sliven   02/07/2011
10.97   0.3   Kerron Stewart      2      Kingston (NS), JAM   24/06/2011
10.97   -0.4   Kelly-Ann Baptiste      2      London (CP)   06/08/2011
10.97   -1.4   Veronica Campbell-Brown      2      Daegu   29/08/2011
10.98   -1.4   Kelly-Ann Baptiste      3      Daegu   29/08/2011
10.99   -0.1   Carmelita Jeter      1r1      Walnut, CA   16/04/2011
10.99   1.8   Oludamola Osayomi NGR   26/06/1986   1r1      São Paulo (IDCM)   22/05/2011
10.99   -1.4   Shelly-Ann Fraser - Pryce      4      Daegu   29/08/2011
==========================================================
Total number of legal Sub-11s run by Women Sprinters in 2011 (to date) = 28
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Country number of legal Women Sub-11s 100m Breakdown for 2011:

Total number of legal Sub-11s run by JA Women Sprinters in 2011 (to date) =    11
Total number of legal Sub-11s run by USA Women Sprinters in 2011 (to date) =  10
Total number of legal Sub-11s run by T&T Women Sprinters in 2011 (to date) =    5
Total number of legal Sub-11s run by Other Women Sprinters in 2011 (to date) =  2

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There's absolutely no doubt that Jamaica is the no.1 sprint country in the world on the male & female side right now courtesy of their top male & female JA sprinters! In above list JA has 11 of the top sub-11 times to the USA on 10 of the top sub-11 times! T&T has 5 of the top sub-11 times all courtesy of KAB!

So well done to Jamaica, a small island in the Caribbean Sea literally running things & pushing the Americans into 2nd position for 2011! Only thing is Carmelita Jeter of USA is still the world's no.1 female sprinter confirmed with her gaining the official title of 2011 World's Fastest 100m Woman in Daegu!

Is Trinidad & Tobago capable of similar success to the Jamaicans on the sprint front?
I believe so with sprinters like Hackett, MLA & Kai hopefully due to join KAB soon in the legal Sub-11 Club!
If we put our minds to it then T&T should be strong medal contenders in the London Olympics 4x100m relay as well as having a couple females in the womens 100m final with KAB going for gold & the other T&T sprinters who hopefully make the final going for silver & bronze!!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:16:23 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »
Looking at the stats above for the number of Sub-11s for 2011 ran by the top 3 female sprinters, it is interesting to note that Carmelita Jeter who ran 8 sub-11s this year placed 1st in the Worlds 100m final, Veronica Campbell-Brown who ran 7 sub-11s this year placed 2nd in the Worlds 100m final & Kelly-Ann Baptiste who ran 5 sub-11s this year placed 3rd in the Worlds 100m final!!

Very interesting and this proves that the number of sub-11s these athletes run next year in the build-up to Olympics will give us a good indication of how they are likely to perform and place in the 100m at the London Olympics!

I suspect that something similar will apply to the men regarding number of Sub-10s which means that Kim Collins is one of the luckiest sprinters on the planet this year having won a bronze medal at Worlds without running any Sub-10s in 2011!

Let’s hope all our female athletes take note and train hard to put themselves into proper sub-11 shape but it’s also important for them to stay healthy, avoid injury & to peak at the right time for London Olympics!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:54:49 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Women’s 100m Field, And Ottey Wins at Last
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
http://www.caribbeantracklife.com/current-features/2011/11/5/the-ultimate-womens-100m-field--ottey-wins-at-last

The Ultimate Women’s 100m Field, And Ottey Wins at Last
by Neil O. Clayton, posted on 11/4/2011

I confess that at any juncture, and with the litany of talent witnessed over the past 50 years, any pundit would regrettably omit one or two or even a dozen female 100m greats. Who is the greatest short sprinter of all time? Which athlete would be most equipped to win a series of races against equals? Would she win under any condition in an ultimate match-up against the most fearsome sprint field ever? That question cannot be answered adequately because eras, equipment, altitude, track condition, nutrition, and technology dictate how well each ‘greatest or best’ measures up against the competition.

In this analysis, I take a look at some of the greatest sprinters who ever competed and assess their historical significance. At one point or another, one of these greats has either been a world record holder, World champion or an Olympic champion or has held all three distinctions at one point or another. Greatness for some of these titans lies in their competitive longevity, spanning decades and thus include multiple Number One rankings.

The Field

This complicated field includes former World and Olympic runner up Merlene Ottey, who, in her banner years (1979 to 2000), competed for her native Jamaica, but later switched allegiance to her adopted country, Slovenia; former Olympic champion and world record holder American Evelyn Ashford-Washington, who has a best time of 10.76secs; Ashford’s compatriot, Florence Griffith-Joyner, the 1988 Olympic champion and still world record holder of the event with a commanding 10.49 run. Ranked number one then, Griffith Joyner’s year of heroics has catapulted her into a pantheon reserved for greats. Fellow American Carmelita Jeter’s last few seasons have catapulted her into a league that some of the best can only dream of. The 2011 World champion is the second fastest woman of all time at 10.64; two time American Olympic champion (1992 and 1996) and controversial 1993 World champion, Gail Devers is included in this high-quality field. Devers’ best time in the event stands at 10.82; Jamaican Veronica Campbell-Brown (VCB) is a redoubtable competitor. VCB has won gold, silver and bronze medals at the Worlds, in addition to being an Olympic silver medal winner; former world record holder and the 1983 World champion Marlies Goehr, a three-time European champion and former world record holder at 10.88secs. Goehr was ranked among the fastest women in the world for 12 straight years; and finally, former world record holder at 11.15, winner of bronze medals at the European Championships and Olympics, Poland’s Irina Szewinska.

Honorary Mentions

A few honorable mentions are in order, too. Olympic champion and former World champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is on her way to greatness and deserves a nod. Renate Stetcher, the 1972 Olympic champion and former record holder, despite allegations regarding the East German track program during that country’s heyday at the top of the sport; Australia’s Raelene Boyle, a two-time Commonwealth champion and 1972 Olympic silver medalist; and ‘La Gazelle’ Wilma Rudolph, who put American women sprinters in the spotlight with her Olympic title in Rome in 1960. Marion Jones is not considered because of the erasure of her records from official listings after her drug-use confession.

Who Wins

And so, the winner is Merlene Ottey. Almost 20 years ago, Ms. Ottey ran 10.74secs toward the end of an injury-plagued season. According to her, the injury frustrated her so much that she ‘decided to run through it’, and with that came her personal best, which at the time placed her at number three on the all-time list. At one point in her career, she won 57 consecutive 100m races – an unparalleled feat. At her illustrious best, Ashford-Washington follows Ottey home. Ms. Ashford-Washington was the consummate competitor: she had a great start and a wonderful finish. Her tantalizing battles with the East Germans provided sparks to any track and field competition.

The powerful Carmelita Jeter would finish third. Jeter’s best asset is her absolute finish, which would clip Florence Griffith Joyner for the final podium position. Griffith Joyner had one great summer back in 1988, but I am not convinced that that was enough history to name her as perhaps the greatest ever. She retired suddenly early in 1989 and her performances prior to 1988 were relatively standard. In contrast, Campbell-Brown, the current Jamaican champion, is a giant killer. She has proven time and again that she cannot be counted out. She is gutsier than almost any other competitor worth noting; she is brilliance at its best.

Gail Devers might finish sixth in this tough field. She is undoubtedly one of the greatest starts in history and is known for her lean at the tape, a lean which denied Merlene Ottey gold at the 1993 Worlds and again at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. East Germany’s Marlies Goehr would finish well ahead of Poland’s Irina Szewinska, considered one of the greatest athletes of all time.

At the 1993 World Championships Merlene Ottey ran 10.83 to win the silver medal. That time would have won her the gold in 2011 World Championships – almost 20 years later.
NEXT: The Men’s 200m

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 02:32:55 AM »
Bump!! Will obviously need to update this thread for 2012 results so far!

Offline trace1906

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
Stumbled across this and found it to be a very interesting read, especially since there is repeated mention above about our women having raw talent but lacking technique. So we talking sub-11's...let me know what y'all think:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/carmelita-jeter-shows-value-of-technology-in-speed-training/2012/01/19/gIQACyOO2Q_story.html

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stumbled across this and found it to be a very interesting read, especially since there is repeated mention above about our women having raw talent but lacking technique. So we talking sub-11's...let me know what y'all think:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/carmelita-jeter-shows-value-of-technology-in-speed-training/2012/01/19/gIQACyOO2Q_story.html
Carmelita Jeter shows value of technology in speed training
By Amy Shipley, Published: February 9

In Los Angeles — This wasn’t something as simple as mere joy. Carmelita Jeter looked to be hyperventilating on the track in Thessalonika, Greece, back in the summer of 2009. With eyes bulging in disbelief, she gasped and sobbed and screamed, then fell to the track.

She had just won a 100-meter race at a major international grand prix in 10.67 seconds. Though the event lacked the prestige of the 2012 Summer Games in London, where Jeter could become one of the world’s biggest stars, her finishing time plunged her into an unexpected, rarefied realm.

She had become the fastest woman in the world, and the third-fastest in history.

“She was lit up,” said John Smith, her coach and sprint guru. “Her whole aura just changed. I saw something transformed . . . It was remarkable.”

The time, 0.16 of a second faster than her personal best, validated the mentally trying, occasionally humiliating work she had endured under Smith for the previous year. From the first day Jeter arrived to Smith’s Los Angeles-based professional running group late in 2008, Smith used novel, state-of-the-art video technology to bolster a teaching program he had refined for years. He unapologetically tore up her technique.

Smith and a virtual assistant — a digital model of Jeter who could simulate world-record speeds — forced her, in essence, to re-learn how to run at age 29.

But she did not truly comprehend the majesty of the science of sprinting until she crossed the finish line at the jammed stadium in Thessalonika. In that race, Jeter experienced, for the first time in her life, the soaring ease of technical transcendence.

“It took a while,” she said before a recent weekday training session at West Los Angeles College in Culver City. “It didn’t happen overnight. [Before], I was running age group, like a kid. I was just out there running, all over the place, my head bobbing, arms moving from side to side. Now, I look like a professional.”

In that 10.67 seconds, Jeter executed some 50 strides almost perfectly. It was a perfection she could actually feel. The time has been surpassed only by late world-record holder Florence-Griffith Joyner, who ran a 10.49 at the U.S. Olympic trials in 1988, and Marion Jones, who achieved 10.65 in 1998 but later admitted using steroids.

Smith watched the race in Thessalonika on a television monitor from the bowels of the stadium. When he heard the time, he started running. He sprinted through the stadium’s underbelly to get to Jeter, whose raw emotional celebration continued long after the race.

“I didn’t think,” she said. “The gun clicked, and I executed. . . It just came second nature. I looked at the clock and I just fell to the ground. I’m crying and I’m screaming, because . . . I actually did it.”

A week later at a race in Shanghai, Jeter ran even faster, winning in 10.64, a time that made her the second-fleetest woman ever, behind only the legend known as Flo-Jo.

‘This is a job’

At Los Angeles’s Bishop Montgomery High, Jeter displayed blazing natural speed. By the time she was a senior, she had run 11.7 in the 100. At Division II Cal State Dominguez Hills, she became the first athlete from her school to qualify for the Olympic trials, an event that introduced her to the exclusive world of elite sprinting in 2004.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:41:49 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
Bump!

I think I may need to update this thread.

1]; } ?>