April 25, 2024, 05:40:16 PM

Author Topic: Darryl Roberts on trial with South African club, Bloemfontein Celtic  (Read 3880 times)

T&T International At Celtic
Soccer Laduma

Bloemfontein Celtic’s latest trialist, Darryl Roberts, arrived in South Africa on Saturday and is to begin his trial with Phunya Sele Sele today (Monday).

The Siya crew reported last week that the former Sparta Rotterdam and Denizlispor striker was set to be make the trip to the country and we now know that he will partake in a 10-day trial with the club.

Celitc coach, Clinton Larsen, told the crew that he is hoping that the Trinidad and Tobago international will impress him. He said, “Darryl is a Trinidad and Tobago international who’s played in both Turkey and Holland and he starts training with us today. Hopefully we’ll be impressed with what he’s got to offer.”

The 27-year-old will be in a confident mood after scoring his sixth international goal in Trinidad and Tobago’s last outing against Barbados, in a 2014 World Cup qualifier. During the game he was paired up front with English Premier League striker, Kenwyne Jones.

Despite Roberts having played with top-class players such as Jones, the Siwelele coach is not going to judge him on his past but rather on what he can offer to the current Celtic team.

“It’s not about his name, it’s about whether he compliments the way that we play at Celtic, hopefully he will fit in. We set the bar very high with foreigners, we had 15-20 of them from pre-season up until now and we want to make sure we get good quality. Hopefully he can show that,” Larsen said.

Word reaching the Siya crew that there are another two PSL clubs interested in the Trinidadian’s signature.

Re: Darryl Roberts on trial with South African club, Bloemfontein Celtic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »
That real far dread.  Do yuh ting Roberts.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Allyuh real funny oui. Hope he does well. Ah feel he will emerge as the next Stern John of sorts
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:10:33 PM by Cocorite »

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
“It’s not about his name, it’s about whether he compliments the way that we play at Celtic, hopefully he will fit in. We set the bar very high with foreigners, we had 15-20 of them from pre-season up until now and we want to make sure we get good quality. Hopefully he can show that,” Larsen said.

There's a lesson in this.

Best of luck to the player. Can't think of anyone from the region who has headed in that direction since Teafore Bennett went to Angola. Maybe I'm overlooking someone.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:27 AM »
Densil gone India and Roberts may end up in Africa,"watta ting"ah like it.

Offline madness

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:03:33 AM »
let dem get d experience aboard. tnt team will get better.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 05:09:03 AM »

india? best Theobald stay at home

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

india? best Theobald stay at home

I am sure that financially, it makes more sense for him to play there!!

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:50 PM »
Heard on Andre programme dat he broke his arm so he out of d rest of this round.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
Heard on Andre programme dat he broke his arm so he out of d rest of this round.

:frustrated:

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
All the best Darryl. The PSL in SA is one of my favorites leagues to watch. Doh sleep on that league atall, it's ranked 7th in the world in terms of cooperate sponsorship and the vibes real boss. At the last Johannesburg derby(Kaiser Chiefs v Orlando Pirates) the attendance was 96,000. The stadium capacity is 98,000.  I'm a Sundowns fan myself.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »
All the best Darryl. The PSL in SA is one of my favorites leagues to watch. Doh sleep on that league atall, it's ranked 7th in the world in terms of cooperate sponsorship and the vibes real boss. At the last Johannesburg derby(Kaiser Chiefs v Orlando Pirates) the attendance was 96,000. The stadium capacity is 98,000.  I'm a Sundowns fan myself.

Educate some men out here. Europe and Us is not the only league worth playing in. Our options are limited. We should also be looking at places like India and Africa and asia. Let men get to know what it is to play in big stadiums and get that feel.

Celtic not signing Roberts
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
Celtic not signing Roberts
soccerladuma.co.za

The Siya crew can confirm that Trinidad and Tobago international striker Darryl Roberts will not be signing with Bloemfontein Celtic. The experienced striker had been on trial at the Mangaung-based side hoping to play his football in the PSL.

Celtic coach Clinton Larsen told the Siya crew that the player picked an injury in a practice game and is unable to continue with his trial. “He hurt his arm in a friendly game. He’s going back home,” said Larsen.

Celtic’s technical team is still in search for a suitable striker that will help the team score goals this season, and Soccer-Laduma sources have revealed that the side is expected to assess strikers from Cameroon and Niger in the next few weeks.

Celtic played to a goalless draw in their last game against Kaizer Chiefs, last weekend. Siwelele has scored eight goals in six games and is sitting in eighth position on the log.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:55:14 PM by Tallman »

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 05:09:17 PM »
Tough luck there darryl, but doh worry, good things come to those who wait. my belief is that you will be playing english league football very very soon. it's hard to ignore ah player with such great skill for too long.

Offline fish

• "Study the past if you would define the future"
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 05:47:47 PM »
Blessings to d man. Keep yuh head on

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
Hard luck dey Darryl. It would have been a great opportunity for you. Good league, nice city and great country, it would have been fantastic. I would have loved to see a Trini playing in that league.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »

Educate some men out here. Europe and Us is not the only league worth playing in. Our options are limited. We should also be looking at places like India and Africa and asia. Let men get to know what it is to play in big stadiums and get that feel.

Indeed Congo...we should also be looking at Latin America too ie Mexico.

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 10:00:30 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Allyuh real funny oui. Hope he does well. Ah feel he will emerge as the next Stern John of sorts
:yellowcard:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:03:29 PM by davyjenny1 »

Offline toonmili

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 11:03:50 PM »
Maybe he could get a contract in Vietnam too.