April 27, 2024, 05:50:11 AM

Author Topic: 'Torpedo' targets Olympic podium  (Read 873 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
'Torpedo' targets Olympic podium
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
'Torpedo' targets Olympic podium
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Sep 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM ECT

Richard "Torpedo" Thompson is taking a few weeks off to recover from a tough 2011 season, before he begins preparations for his 2012 campaign.

The Trinidad and Tobago track star captured silver in the men's 100 metres dash at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China. He plans to return to the podium at the 2012 Games, in London, England.

"I know it's not going to be an easy task, but I am prepared to put in the necessary work."

Thompson's 2011 campaign was challenging. In 15 100m finals, from April to September, the US-based sprinter recorded four victories, and produced just one legal sub-10 clocking— the 9.85 seconds national record run on August 13 that earned him a hat-trick of national titles. On August 28, he bowed out in the semi-final round at the World Championships, in Daegu, Korea.

"By my standards and expectations," Thompson told the Express, "the 2011 season was disappointing. My goal going into any season with a major Championship is to make the final and medal, and I was unable to accomplish either of the two. Apart from that, I was a bit inconsistent on the European circuit. It's easy to point fingers and blame others for my failures. However, I am the one putting on the spikes and lining up, and I know what needs to be done, so I take full responsibility. I need to work harder and I need to work smarter.

"My national record run in Trinidad," he continued, "shows that I am capable of running very fast still, like I did in my Olympic year (2008). I just need to be more consistent at doing it. I would have preferred to produce that effort at the World Champs, but it didn't work out that way. I am firmly of the belief that God does everything for a reason, and He has a better plan for me in the future."

Thompson ended his 2011 campaign on a high, clocking 10.05 seconds to triumph at the Athletics Bridge meet, in Slovakia, last Thursday.

The 26-year-old T&T sprinter beat World Championship bronze medallist Kim Collins into second spot, the St Kitts and Nevis track star getting to the line in 10.07. Jamaica's Michael Frater (10.09) and Briton Dwain Chambers (10.10) finished third and fourth, respectively.

"It was nice to end the season strong and beat a solid field in Slovakia. However, I see those guys as people I should be ahead of, so I'm not going to make a huge deal about it. I knew, regardless of how I ended this season, that I would have to take a brand new approach to next year to really make a change in my performances.

"When I start back," the double Olympic silver medallist continued, "I will immediately target my weaknesses, and start strengthening them in and out of the weight room."

Thompson was scheduled to arrive in the country late last night for a week-long visit. He was accompanied by American sprint great Maurice Greene.

Thompson and Greene will conduct a coaching clinic for primary school children, at the Morvant Recreation Ground, from nine o'clock this morning.

1]; } ?>