March 28, 2024, 04:19:06 PM

Author Topic: UK based athlete Jodie Williams turns 18 this coming Wednesday (28th Sept)  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Firstly we would like to wish her a happy birthday for this Wednesday and hope she enjoys her day to the max!!

Some folks here have been speculating about Jodie coming across to represent us because her Mum is Trini and have been asking me to try to talk to her to see where she is at from a cultural and mental perspective!

Here is a bit of her bio:
Jodie Williams was born in Welwyn Garden City to an English father, Richard Williams and a Trinidadian mother, Christine Williams. Both of her parents were county-level sprinters. Richard ran for Hertfordshire, while Christine ran for Sussex. Her father, recognized her talent at a young age: "Jodie would have finished while her nearest rival was still only about halfway up the track".
For more of her bio go here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodie_Williams

Looking at her full bio Jodie seems to be a very good prospect but the question is will she be interested in running for us especially with the UK pumping so much money into their athletes with Olympics coming and they being so desperate for a good showing!

What will be the advantages to Jodie of her coming over to us especially looking at the track record of our NAAATT?

Looking at her picture I am sure I may have seen Jodie or someone who looks just like her at a few Soca events here in London so maybe she is already into the Trini culture! But then again she is still 17 turning 18 next week so maybe it wasn’t her I saw attending those Soca events (normally for over 18s).

What I am asking you guys is, is it really worth trying to speak to Jodie or her Mum Christine to see where their heads are at? Questions like have they visited T&T for a carnival or any other occasion recently? is what I would initially ask before dropping the big question! Not sure if the current situation with the extended SoE in T&T is going to help though if they are aware of it!  :-\

Or should I not bother because we already have MLA and other great up & coming sprint talents based at home in T&T!

Over to you guys & thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:52:43 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UK based athlete Jodie Williams turns 18 this coming Wednesday!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
Here is Jodie winning the 2011 European Junior 100m title
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRVHqAgY6lc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oRVHqAgY6lc</a>

And here is Jodie in her after race interview!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8u8eaU7HbD4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8u8eaU7HbD4</a>

Listening to Jodie's interview here it sounds to me like she is quite happy representing Britain as she has been doing and they are probably throwing everything she needs at her so that she is as prepared as possible for Olympics next year on home soil. The British obviously see her as their future bright star in women’s sprinting so I don’t think they will allow her to deflect to representing T&T or anybody else!

With that in mind I don't think I will bother trying to chase Jodie regards considering T&T as another option since her bread already seems well buttered with her representing the UK!

All the best to her representing Britain until such time as she clashes MLA or any of our other locally developed T&T sprinters in the Olympics or elsewhere!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:40:23 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
I was going to tell you there isn't really a point because she is very happy and right now she is the top sprinter junior/senior in the UK. If she goes home she would be competing for 3rd with MLA/ Kai.  I'm sure the Uk athletics would do everything in their power to keep her.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:59:08 PM by Trini1 »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
I was going to tell you there isn't really a point because she is very happy and right now she is the top sprinter junior/senior in the UK. Of she goes home she would be competing for 3rd with MLA/ Kai.  I'm sure the Uk athletics would do everything in their power to keep her.

Exactly. She aint running for T&T! Believe it or not but she might have difficulty getting a spot for 100m in London if she was to switch allegiance.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »
I was going to tell you there isn't really a point because she is very happy and right now she is the top sprinter junior/senior in the UK. Of she goes home she would be competing for 3rd with MLA/ Kai.  I'm sure the Uk athletics would do everything in their power to keep her.

Exactly. She aint running for T&T! Believe it or not but she might have difficulty getting a spot for 100m in London if she was to switch allegiance.

Yuh right I think Jodie would have a lot of difficulty beating MLA, Hackett & Kai to make the team even as a member of the relay squad! It will be like flying down a foreign-based footballer to play for the national team and then putting them to sit on the bench for the whole match, I'm sure they won't be too happy!  :(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:58:04 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »

Yuh right I think Jodie would have a lot of difficulty beating MLA & Hackett to make the team even as a member of the relay squad! It will be like flying down a foreign-based footballer to play for the national team and then putting them to sit on the bench for the whole match, I'm sure they won't be too happy!  :(

Not to mention that she will be in a way better government subsidy program that what our athletes are involved in.

For those who are not aware, here is the kind of pampering that the athletes who achieve the UKA standards receive: http://www.uka.org.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=51565&type=full&servicetype=Attachment
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:49:54 AM by Aviator »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UK based athlete Jodie Williams turns 18 this coming Wednesday (28th Sept)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »

Yuh right I think Jodie would have a lot of difficulty beating MLA, Hackett & Kai to make the team even as a member of the relay squad! It will be like flying down a foreign-based footballer to play for the national team and then putting them to sit on the bench for the whole match, I'm sure they won't be too happy!  :(

well she is faster than them .... based on times so you can never tell
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »

Based on 100m times Jodie (11.18 PB) is faster than Kai (11.41 PB), slightly faster than MLA (11.20 PB), slightly slower than Semoy (11.17 PB) & can't live with KAB (10.84 PB)!

You can click athlete's Name for link to their IAAF bio.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:12:19 AM by Socapro »

AirMan

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
I was going to tell you there isn't really a point because she is very happy and right now she is the top sprinter junior/senior in the UK. If she goes home she would be competing for 3rd with MLA/ Kai.  I'm sure the Uk athletics would do everything in their power to keep her.

LOL what?..they probably don't have to do much in their power to keep an athlete who is from there..She was born and grew up in the UK ? She is British..so which country has to try harder to get her ?..

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:43:56 AM »
An easier way is to find out who her cousins are in Trini and encourage them to take up athletics. They could have the same sprinting genes. That's a win-win situation. The UK gets to keep Jodie and we get our own track star!

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 03:11:25 AM »

LOL what?..they probably don't have to do much in their power to keep an athlete who is from there..She was born and grew up in the UK ? She is British..so which country has to try harder to get her ?..

I meant in a situation where she was contemplating moving.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 03:43:18 AM »

Based on 100m times Jodie (11.18 PB) is faster than Kai (11.41 PB), slightly faster than MLA (11.20 PB), slightly slower than Semoy (11.17 PB) & can't live with KAB (10.84 PB)!

You can click athlete's Name for link to their IAAF bio.

I believe Semoy at her best is an 11.0x sprinter but as it would happen this year it just didn't happen for many reasons- including the -ve wind in Daegu and the mishap at NCAA's division 1 champs plus the the illegal wind readings at many meets in the college year and at our champs e.g. SEC's. where she has run 10.98/11.00/11.01.

Trini_ this year on paper she is faster than both but I believe if Michelle's technique is improved we will see them record the same time or I see Michelle getting a slightly faster time because I do believe she is more talented but due to numerous injuries/poor technique she hasn't been able to maximise her full potential. I see them in the 11.10-11.12 range but if things are great i see them both getting into the 11.0x. I dare say a sub-11 with the perfect wind or illegal wind.

Since Kai ran that 11.41 in 2010 she has improved so much. She beat Michelle at our champs remember... that at least should tell us that she is at least an 11.2 sprinter but even she was injured this year. Then she ran 22.89 in Daegu with only a 0.3 folowing wind. Had conditions gotten better and not worse she would have run close to 22.7x. So she is definitely better than that 11.41 and with a better start, technique, coach and training facility than Michelle I only see things getting better for her. That just illustrated how talentd they both are but more so how talented Michelle is.

Jodie hasn't been injured as much i think back in '09 with something slight. She races a lot less than both too BUT she is slightly younger...

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »
LOL @ Thread

Only way Williams' mother is Trinidadian is the in the sense of Jodie's grandfather being from Trinidad and grandmother being from St. Vincent. Her mother is English Born and Bred. Wikipedia your reading is incorrect.

Williams' at a fete? I doubt it. One of friends she met though athletics is into to Soca and thats the closest too it.I'm talking about Soca and soca only I don't know about her life.
I don't know her but I know one of her friends and she would have much more sense than being at a fete at 16-17, anyone can see that by the way she conducts herself. Whatever they choose or have chosen to do in life I'm sure their 'heads are at the right place' and I hope she does well for Team GB next year.

Aviator you made a good point but she's not on funding, she is backed by an multi-millionaire who funds talented sports people so UKA have no control in that department.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:11:54 PM by Carib-Briton »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
So this article is wrong  ?? her dad has no idea where his wife is from ....

While Richard ran for Sussex and Christine for Herts, Jodie's father has no knowledge of other exceptional athletes in the family.
A possible clue to his child's talent is that his wife is from Trinidad, which has a rich heritage in sprinting.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1301644/Jodie-Williams-sprint-sensation-ready-world.html#ixzz1ZYIa2j00
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:33:54 AM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
Well I think I will be more inclined to believe the quote from Jodie's father in article below together with the info that they themselves may have provided to Wikipedia than to believe some ill-informed friend of Carib-Briton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1301644/Jodie-Williams-sprint-sensation-ready-world.html#ixzz1ZYIa2j00

Moneylegs: Jodie Williams is the Sports Day star ready to take on the world
By Mike Dickson
Last updated at 1:57 PM on 10th August 2010

It should not have been a great surprise to Richard and Christine Williams to find their daughter Jodie was quite successful in Sports Day races at primary school.
After all, both had been decent amateur sprinters at county level themselves. But her margin of victory was to draw gasps of amazement from other parents.

While Richard ran for Sussex and Christine for Herts, Jodie's father has no knowledge of other exceptional athletes in the family.
A possible clue to his child's talent is that his wife is from Trinidad, which has a rich heritage in sprinting.
'Jodie would have finished while her nearest rival was still only about halfway up the track,' recalls Richard. 'At the time, we honestly didn't give it any thought and would just look forward to the next Sports Day.'

Then followed an astonishing five years when the oldest of their three offspring won 151 consecutive races, which only ended with a 200metres defeat at the junior World Championships in Canada 10 days ago.
For the 16-year-old it led to the kind of perk that comes when the world has taken notice - the chance to meet her idol Allyson Felix at a rooftop garden in London.
The three-times 200m world champion is over from America to compete at Crystal Palace in the Aviva Grand Prix which starts on Friday, and offered advice to the teenager from Welwyn Garden City, who on current progress might soon be a serious rival.

London 2012 may be a little early for that, and this weekend's meeting certainly is, as Britain's young sprint phenomenon has opted not to rush to compete at the highest level. But the comparisons between the pair are stark.
Both ran almost identical, world-beating times as 16-year-olds and suffered disappointing losses in the 200m at the World Championships. Felix made her Olympic debut at 18, as Williams plans to do, and completed a university education, another item on the British youngster's agenda.

Jodie yesterday listened intently to Felix, perhaps reflecting on all that has happened since she was 11 and her father took her to Herts Phoenix athletics club.
At the club, there was more shock at her times and her father began studying for coaching qualifications. As it dawned that his daughter needed special help, he found Stanley Madiri, a Zimbabwean living in Luton who had been his nation's sprint coach at the Athens Games.
'It's not like searching for a tennis or golf coach, when you can just look in the Yellow Pages,' said Richard. 'Jodie was spotted by Rob Denmark (the former British distance runner working for UK Athletics) and then put forward for the World Class Performance Programme.'
Her coaching was passed on to Mike McFarlane, another former British international, who still works with her despite leaving UKA. Her parents have insisted Jodie's schoolwork does not suffer and she is soon to begin A-levels in history, maths, psychology and PE.
Nicknamed 'Moneylegs' by her friends, Jodie is also an excellent netball player and a good enough swimmer to be picked for the county.

'We like to look on this as a hobby, albeit a very serious one,' says her father. 'If she makes it for 2012 then good, but our attitude is there is no hurry. We aren't pushy and if she wanted to give it up tomorrow that would be fine, but she seems very committed.'
Articulate and well-spoken, Jodie adds: 'You have got to make sacrifices in athletics. I'm already quite used to it, although it's annoying because all my friends are starting to go out and often I can't go. I've just got to try to have fun when I can and luckily they are very supportive.
'It's a sacrifice you are willing to make when you are standing on the podium one day and thinking, "Wow, this is what it's all for".'
She is now at ease with having failed to add the 200m to her 100m title in Canada.
'I was pretty devastated, but looking back it might have been a blessing in disguise. Nobody can ever take those five years away from me and now I can go through the qualifying rounds not thinking I have got to stay unbeaten. Maybe I ran a bit too hard in those in Canada and was a bit tired for the final.'
Elegant runner Felix might soon be looking over her shoulder, but then so might Jodie herself. Her 12-year-old sister Hannah is clocking near identical times to hers at that age, threatening to make this a Williams production line.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:39:12 PM by Socapro »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
Well I think I will be more inclined to believe the quote from Jodie's father in article below together with the info that they themselves may have provided to Wikipedia than to believe some ill-informed friend of Carib-Briton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1301644/Jodie-Williams-sprint-sensation-ready-world.html#ixzz1ZYIa2j00

By Mike Dickson

It should not have been a great surprise to Richard and Christine Williams to find their daughter Jodie was quite successful in Sports Day races at primary school.
After all, both had been decent amateur sprinters at county level themselves. But her margin of victory was to draw gasps of amazement from other parents.

'Jodie would have finished while her nearest rival was still only about halfway up the track,' recalls Richard. 'At the time, we honestly didn't give it any thought and would just look forward to the next Sports Day.'

LOL @ Socapro.

Where did I mention her friend told me about her heritage? JODIE herself told me about her heritage, that makes her wrong???? LOL Don't call my friend ill-informed when I all I said was

''One of friends she met though athletics is into to Soca and thats the closest too it.I'm talking about Soca and soca only I don't know about her life.
I don't know her but I know one of her friends and she would have much more sense than being at a fete at 16-17''

And read the article that is not a QUOTE that is what the daily mail wrote, where does it have speech marks??? Your the person who is informing people incorrectly. You've just shown you've read things incorrectly twice! and before you say some nonsense about me saying I don't know her just because I've said one or two lines to her don't mean I know her. I'm not one of people who say I know someone just because they're well known.

Her grandfather is from Trinidad, her grandmother is from St. Vincent and her mother is English JODIE WILLIAMS WORDS HERSELF. I asked her myself.

I did not get the information from a friend and that ''ill-informed'' friend who didn't inform me on anything is with her everyday, YES EVERYDAY. So if that person did inform me, which they didn't which I have to repeat because of the way people are around here, they would be more qualified and your alleged fete sighting which didn't not happen.

Also it's stuff like this which annoys me. I come on here and give valid information and you clearly see SocaPro twist my words and the words of article where there is clearly no speech quote because I didn't say anything that implied that my friend informed me. That's is what partly put me off the site originally and why I'm only posting now after so long. If you look at similar topics like this regarding footballers if I don't know I will say I don't know if I know I will say I know because If I'm wrong I'm going to look like a damn liar. Most of my information is directly from the people themselves, like Williams herself. If Jodie medals next year and they interview her mother and she has strong accent and is straight outta point-fortin I'm going to look like an idiot.

and to use the words ill-informed sends the message you know yourself, which you clear don't because your using a daily mail article.

Moving slight away from the topic what I find funny is Daily Mail, and I knew someone was going to drag this article up in relation to the topic, saying a Black Woman from England is from Trinidad, OH THEY WOULDN'T DO THAT LOL (For the slow people or those who genuinely don't know how the Daily Mail works they would do that racist paper)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:59:12 PM by Carib-Briton »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:52 PM »
You’re taking this too serious Carib-Briton! I don't really have the time to read that long essay you just wrote.

I already said I will go with what the news article on Jodie says along with what Wikipedia says about her bio for now until I hear otherwise from sources I can trust.

And at the end of the day that long essay you're typed is not really that important; What is important is that Jodie is happy where she is reppin Britain and we already established that before you contributed to the thread!

Time to move on, and concentrate on more important stuff!

She's happy reppin Britain and has no interest in reppin T&T, that is all that really matters!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:34:42 PM by Socapro »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »

By Mike Dickson

LOL @ Socapro.

Where did I mention her friend told me about her heritage? JODIE herself told me about her heritage, that makes her wrong???? LOL Don't call my friend ill-informed when I all I said was

''One of friends she met though athletics is into to Soca and thats the closest too it.I'm talking about Soca and soca only I don't know about her life.
I don't know her but I know one of her friends and she would have much more sense than being at a fete at 16-17''

And read the article that is not a QUOTE that is what the daily mail wrote, where does it have speech marks??? Your the person who is informing people incorrectly. You've just shown you've read things incorrectly twice! and before you say some nonsense about me saying I don't know her just because I've said one or two lines to her don't mean I know her. I'm not one of people who say I know someone just because they're well known.

Her grandfather is from Trinidad, her grandmother is from St. Vincent and her mother is English JODIE WILLIAMS WORDS HERSELF. I asked her myself.

I did not get the information from a friend and that ''ill-informed'' friend who didn't inform me on anything is with her everyday, YES EVERYDAY. So if that person did inform me, which they didn't which I have to repeat because of the way people are around here, they would be more qualified and your alleged fete sighting which didn't not happen.

Also it's stuff like this which annoys me. I come on here and give valid information and you clearly see SocaPro twist my words and the words of article where there is clearly no speech quote because I didn't say anything that implied that my friend informed me. That's is what partly put me off the site originally and why I'm only posting now after so long. If you look at similar topics like this regarding footballers if I don't know I will say I don't know if I know I will say I know because If I'm wrong I'm going to look like a damn liar. Most of my information is directly from the people themselves, like Williams herself. If Jodie medals next year and they interview her mother and she has strong accent and is straight outta point-fortin I'm going to look like an idiot.

and to use the words ill-informed sends the message you know yourself, which you clear don't because your using a daily mail article.

Moving slight away from the topic what I find funny is Daily Mail, and I knew someone was going to drag this article up in relation to the topic, saying a Black Woman from England is from Trinidad, OH THEY WOULDN'T DO THAT LOL (For the slow people or those who genuinely don't know how the Daily Mail works they would do that racist paper)

ok "futbol" we see ... well but we need you here your input

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=53156.0

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »

By Mike Dickson

LOL @ Socapro.

Ok, I've just had a chance to read that long essay of Carib-Briton’s! NB: Many of my essays are just as long! :heehee:
Got back in real tired last night from the Poison UK Carnival Thank You Party and a Nigerian Independence Dance and did not have the time/energy to read that long reply of his as the issue he seemed to be going on about is no longer important to me in reality!

Now that I've had the time to read that long response I'll address only two issues that matters to me:

1. Carib-Briton seems to be claiming that I said I saw Jodie at a soca fete and was therefore lying!
Well here is the quote from what I posted that shows that I never made such a claim as a definite so obviously I am not the only one on this forum who may sometimes have reading difficulties:

Looking at her picture I am sure I MAY have seen Jodie or someone who looks just like her at a few Soca events here in London so maybe she is already into the Trini culture! But then again she is still 17 turning 18 next week so maybe it wasn’t her I saw attending those Soca events (normally for over 18s).

Also note I qualified what I said about it possibly not being her because most of the soca raves in London are at clubs for over 18s. And I am not lying when I said I've seen someone who resembles Jodie at some of the Soca raves! In fact I saw she her again last night at the Poison Thank You Party and told her she has a striking resemblance to the UK athlete Jodie Williams.

2. Carib-Briton claims that I am trying to deliberately misinform posters here in reference to  Jodie's parents heritage!!
Well all I will say to that is that I read her bio on Wikipedia and posted part of it here when I started this thread before Carib contributed so how could that be construed as me deliberately trying to misinform fellow posters? I was never party to the bio being slightly incorrect regarding the parent’s heritage before I posted the bio information here, was I?

Trini_2014 was the one who found and posted the Daily Mail article link! All I did was to post the article from the link to this board for easy reference! Also note I did not respond to Carib’s comments whether I felt they were true or not before that mainly because all that family stuff at this point to me is now totally irrelevant!

Once I established Jodie’s short & long term interest from an athletics perspective is 100% with Britain and she sees herself as 100% British (and that was before Carib-Briton commented in this thread) then that more or less settled it for me!

So with that summary I don’t want to waste anymore of my time arguing about Jodie’s family heritage because it is now totally irrelevant as she is British and sees herself as such and she is happy reppin Britain!

Also to add to that T&T is not really that desperate for female sprinters; we’ve got KAB, Hackett, Selvon, MLA and other young talents coming up and most are just as fast if not faster than Jodie and they are all relatively young as well!

Wishing Jodie Williams all the best in her career trying to win major medals for Britain and helping to bring them out of the women’s sprinting rot that they have been in for quite a number of years!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:36:07 PM by Socapro »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

By Mike Dickson

LOL @ Socapro.

Ok, I've just had a chance to read that long essay of Carib-Briton’s! NB: Many of my essays are just as long! :heehee:
Got back in real tired last night from the Poison UK Carnival Thank You Party and a Nigerian Independence Dance and did not have the time/energy to read that long reply of his as the issue he seemed to be going on about is no longer important to me in reality!

Now that I've had the time to read that long response I'll address only two issues that matters to me:

1. Carib-Briton seems to be claiming that I said I saw Jodie at a soca fete and was therefore lying!
Well here is the quote from what I posted that shows that I never made such a claim as a definite so obviously I am not the only one on this forum who may sometimes have reading difficulties:

Looking at her picture I am sure I MAY have seen Jodie or someone who looks just like her at a few Soca events here in London so maybe she is already into the Trini culture! But then again she is still 17 turning 18 next week so maybe it wasn’t her I saw attending those Soca events (normally for over 18s).

Also note I qualified what I said about it possibly not being her because most of the soca raves in London are at clubs for over 18s. And I am not lying when I said I've seen someone who resembles Jodie at some of the Soca raves! In fact I saw she her again last night at the Poison Thank You Party and told her she has a striking resemblance to the UK athlete Jodie Williams.

2. Carib-Briton claims that I am trying to deliberately misinform posters here in reference to  Jodie's parents heritage!!
Well all I will say to that is that I read her bio on Wikipedia and posted part of it here when I started this thread before Carib contributed so how could that be construed as me deliberately trying to misinform fellow posters? I was never party to the bio being slightly incorrect regarding the parent’s heritage before I posted the bio information here, was I?

Trini_2014 was the one who found and posted the Daily Mail article link! All I did was to post the article from the link to this board for easy reference! Also note I did not respond to Carib’s comments whether I felt they were true or not before that mainly because all that family stuff at this point to me is now totally irrelevant!

Once I established Jodie’s short & long term interest from an athletics perspective is 100% with Britain and she sees herself as 100% British (and that was before Carib-Briton commented in this thread) then that more or less settled it for me!

So with that summary I don’t want to waste anymore of my time arguing about Jodie’s family heritage because it is now totally irrelevant as she is British and sees herself as such and she is happy reppin Britain!

Also to add to that T&T is not really that desperate for female sprinters; we’ve got KAB, Hackett, Selvon, MLA and other young talents coming up and most are just as fast if not faster than Jodie and they are all relatively young as well!

Wishing Jodie Williams all the best in her career trying to win major medals for Britain and helping to bring them out of the women’s sprinting rot that they have been in for quite a number of years!  :beermug:

Soca Pro, you took the piss by calling my friend ill-informed when I never mentioned anything to do with my friend.
You said there was a quote from Jodie's father when there was no quote from Jodie's father. So therefore on those two points your trying to make my look bad.

If I'm lying please:
1. Point out the quote where it jodie father actually says his wife is from trinidad not: A possible clue to his child's talent is that his wife is from Trinidad, which has a rich heritage in sprinting.
2. Point out the part where I told you about my friend telling me about JW's heritage?

Funny when I did the same thing to you, deliberately, you pointed that out but didn't apologise for your lying about me

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
To Carib-Briton:

So I misused the word “quote” so what?! Is that the same as me lying? Don't think so!

The impression the article gave is that Jodie's father said his wife is Trini that's the point!
Wikipedia also says the same thing!

So if I said I was more inclined to believe the news article and Wikipedia than anything you or your friend may say don't take it personal, its my choice to believe whom ever I choose to believe and I owe no one an apology for that!

Why not spend more of your valuable time and energy getting someone in the family to send the updated family info to Wikipedia so that others who don’t post on this board are not mislead with that family info, which at the end of the day is not really that important because if it was someone should have had Wikipedia correct it by now!

At the end of the day none of this drawn argument is important to me as I already established that Jodie is happy reppin Britain long before you posted in this thread!

If you want to feel aggrieved about what I posted then you are more than welcomed to but I suggest that maybe you should move on and concentrate on posting something more important to us here from an athletics perspective!

Btw just to help you along remember this:
Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events and great minds discuss ideas!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:06:39 PM by Socapro »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 05:09:01 PM »
To Carib-Briton:

So I misused the word “quote” so what?! Is that the same as me lying? Don't think so!

The impression the article gave is that Jodie's father said his wife is Trini that's the point!
Wikipedia also says the same thing!

So if I said I was more inclined to believe the news article and Wikipedia than anything you or your friend may say don't take it personal, its my choice to believe whom ever I choose to believe and I owe no one an apology for that!

Why not spend more of your valuable time and energy getting someone in the family to send the updated family info to Wikipedia so that others who don’t post on this board are not mislead with that family info, which at the end of the day is not really that important because if it was someone should have had Wikipedia correct it by now!

At the end of the day none of this drawn argument is important to me as I already established that Jodie is happy reppin Britain long before you posted in this thread!

If you want to feel aggrieved about what I posted then you are more than welcomed to but I suggest that maybe you should move on and concentrate on posting something more important to us here from an athletics perspective!

Btw just to help you along remember this:
Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events and great minds discuss ideas!!

I have a great mind and don't call me a small mind like your some how superior. Small minds can't acknowledge when they are wrong, you still refused to own up about lying but decided to go around the subject. I would look at yourself first before judging others.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »
To Carib-Briton:

I never called you small-minded but if you view yourself as such then that's okay with me, who the cap fits, let them wear it as Bob said! But note I never accused you of being small minded anywhere in my post but if you feel I did then please bring the quote of me doing it that you seem to love so much! ;)

I already owned-up for misusing the word quote but big deal?! Everyone on these forums is guilty of misusing a word or two every now and then!  Its not the same as lying though and any intelligent person can work that out! Once folks can understand the point I was trying to make then that's the main picture!!

You obviously don't have anything important about athletics to post right now so you prefer to try to engage in these pointless arguments!

I'm done on this topic but you are more than welcomed to carry on!!

At least I started a thread that has encouraged you to post something after being in a self-imposed exile for ages! If folks who read this thread all learned that Jodie has no interest in reppin T&T then that's good enough for me and the thread has served a useful purpose from my perspective!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:32:09 PM by Socapro »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
To Carib-Briton:

I never called you small-minded but if you view yourself as such then that's okay with me, who the cap fits, let them wear it as Bob said! But note I never accused you of being small minded anywhere in my post but if you feel I did then please bring the quote of me doing it that you seem to love so much! ;)

I already owned-up for misusing the word quote but big deal?! Everyone on these forums is guilty of misusing a word or two every now and then!  Its not the same as lying though and any intelligent person can work that out! Once folks can understand the point I was trying to make then that's the main picture!!

And your right I don't want continue neither this because your trying to come across as righteous while insulting people, fraud.
You obviously don't have anything important about athletics to post right now so you prefer to try to engage in these pointless arguments!

I'm done on this topic but you are more than welcomed to carry on!!

At least I started a thread that has encouraged you to post something after being in a self-imposed exile for ages!
If folks who read this thread all learned something then that's good enough for me and the thread has served a useful purpose from my perspective!  :beermug:

Posted in another thread before this so no need to take credit for anything and it's not this that made me return to post.

I clearly said I have a great mind but once again your objective is to insult and indirectly call me small minded, it's indirects like that which are unnecessary

the patronizing quote at the end was you indirectly calling me small minded. I don't like your insults hence why I've replied. I rather you stopped being insulting, that isn't pointless.

Your right in the sense to end it now rather than give you the opportunity to come of like your playing some higher moral ground but delivering insults and being disrespectful at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:43:13 PM by Carib-Briton »

1]; } ?>