March 28, 2024, 03:36:00 PM

Author Topic: Why is Dwayne De Rosario in the MLS?  (Read 6224 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why is Dwayne De Rosario in the MLS?
« on: September 26, 2011, 05:00:49 AM »
... as opposed to elsewhere?

Ah curious.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Dwayne De Rosario in the MLS?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:47:08 AM »
MLS is like a bermuda triangle for some decent players.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »
One major contributing factor is his age. I think players like De Rosairo and Shalrie Joseph are good players who missed the window opportunity to move on to a bigger league about five years ago.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:58:17 AM »
One major contributing factor is his age. I think players like De Rosairo and Shalrie Joseph are good players who missed the window opportunity to move on to a bigger league about five years ago.

Correct!!

The MLS does a really "good job" of holding on to their marque players, even if its not in the best interest of the players themselves.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:00:12 AM by andre samuel »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:04:21 AM »

Correct!!

The MLS does a really "good job" of holding on to their marque players, even if its not in the best interest of the players themselves.

Marque player for real..

Is about 6 years now I asking myself the same question... with his talent, I was always waiting for move to a big club in Europe...

Now at 32 we will assume his best days are behind him...He also make up a group of talanted Canadians on thier national team,, to which i could never understand why they cant do better  ???  ::) ???
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
Is not like De Ro didn't have opportunities outside of MLS.  Just recently he went on trial to Celtic but didn't make de grade.

It's true that MLS like to hang on to their "marquee" players but they're first and foremost a business.  So if the price is right, they will let anyone go.

Hell....if they could let golden boys Landon Donovan (Germany) & Freddy Adu (Portugal) go to play in foreign leagues, they could more than let De Ro go.

De Ro is a star in MLS, but he is a limited player.  Add his age to that equation and that just about sums up the answer to the question.

What I will say in De Ro's defence is that he was given a raw deal by MLS and Toronto FC.  He was BY FAR the marquee player on that team.  He scored pretty much all the goals and he worked tirelessly for them.  But they preferred to pay a defensive midfielder big $$'s while he was being paid McDonald's $ by comparison.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
why r we looking at this player. what's the concern?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »

Correct!!

Agree with both of these... I was surprised to look up a couple months ago and see that he was 33-years old.  I vividly remember when he was a rising superstar with Houston.  Can't fault MLS for their position, as much as it's not in the best interest of the players.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
why r we looking at this player. what's the concern?

He is of WI descent ??????!!!!!!!

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Di Only Star player who played in the MLS before dey draw fi the walking stick is Stern John. Now The MLS is taking guys that cant play any where else.. I am upset lately wid MLS and I will say Fire has a lot wid me being upset wid the MLS..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »
DeRosario was looked at as a teenager by AC Milan. Can't remember who de other Canadian kid was that went with him, but he had his looks from foreign teams. Seems he is a good player, but just not good enough for an investment from the big teams. I'm sure what he is being paid in MLS is comparable to what he may make in lower level leagues abroad.
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
DeRosario was looked at as a teenager by AC Milan. Can't remember who de other Canadian kid was that went with him, but he had his looks from foreign teams. Seems he is a good player, but just not good enough for an investment from the big teams. I'm sure what he is being paid in MLS is comparable to what he may make in lower level leagues abroad.

De Guzman?

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »

De Guzman?
Could be...DeGuzman's younger brother ended up staying in Holland and I think he made one of the national youth teams. I think exactly as you all said above, MLS held on to DeRo past his foreign marketability, unlike players like Muarice Adu who got the opportunity with a sign and trade from Toronto to Rangers
well yes

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
Could be...DeGuzman's younger brother ended up staying in Holland and I think he made one of the national youth teams. I think exactly as you all said above, MLS held on to DeRo past his foreign marketability, unlike players like Muarice Adu who got the opportunity with a sign and trade from Toronto to Rangers

In all "fairness" to MLS, the ownership structure has changed over the past decade or so and players have also formed themselves into a bargaining unit, the two changes conspiring to make player movement more liberal than it once was.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 08:48:25 PM »
Another man who shoudda ride out long time too is Shari Joseph.  Celtic offered about $1M for him about 5 years ago, and the MLS blocked the move.  He is a solid box-to-box midfielder, who would have adjusted well to football in the UK.  Missed the boat.  He about 32 now.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 04:30:38 AM »
Call me cynical but, at times, some MLS outcomes seem to reflect decisions that are deferential ... even more accommodating to US national team players rather than other players.

In recent time, I've also wondered about the commitment of clubs to the improvement of players from other CONCACAF nations.

It's good to see the quality of opinions expressed on the thread. At the moment, I don't follow MLS aggressively but I think there are some other candidates for European play on the MLS rolls. I think it would be a mistake to view MLS players as de facto unable to cut it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:32:20 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »
DeRo is a flickin boss! I know he wanted to move back home to Toronto while he was in Houston. He wanted to rep his city when they had a new club. So he moved, with Houston staff and fans backing him. At that point in time he could have moved but wanted home yes.

Nah, I think he could have made it in Celtic but that Celtic scenario was a rel scene. At first he went just to train, TFC say they didnt allow him. DeRo say they did, then it had a trial part. Rel heights. Celtic doh wanna beat up and get involved in thing too so you hadda unders that. Plus, remember when you making trade and buys, you not only trading with TFC, it would have been the MLS organization.

And I agree also that men shouldnt assume once you in the MLS you cah make d grade. That is some rel filth comin thru dey mouth. Doh talk wha yuh doh know.

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
Cuz he is a terrible player
That scores lots of penalties

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
Plus, remember when you making trade and buys, you not only trading with TFC, it would have been the MLS organization.

Not true... may be true of other clubs, but not true of TFC and a handful others.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »
Plus, remember when you making trade and buys, you not only trading with TFC, it would have been the MLS organization.

Not true... may be true of other clubs, but not true of TFC and a handful others.

Remember when the players went on strike some time ago one of their bones of contention was that their contracts were owned by the MLS and it hampered them as players from to leagues of their choice. Remember the MLS is a single structure entity and that entitles them to control the salaries and wages of players.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
Remember when the players went on strike some time ago one of their bones of contention was that their contracts were owned by the MLS and it hampered them as players from to leagues of their choice. Remember the MLS is a single structure entity and that entitles them to control the salaries and wages of players.

This is not the case.  As I said earlier the ownership structure of the League has changed over the course of the past decade from that of a single entity, to one with limited ownership, to where it is now, one of expanded ownership, with the league maintaining control of a minority of franchises.  At one point there was contraction, which saw the League get rid of Tampa Bay, Miami and the original San Jose franchises.  Since then every expansion franchise has been privately owned, including TFC, owned by Maple Leaf Sports Enterprises (I think it's called).  The League does control salaries... as do all North American pro leagues, salary caps are a means of enforcing fiscal responsibility and parity on the league.

That said MLS don't own all player contracts as it once did... again due to the liberalization of ownership, and the still nascent player's union.  As such, when LA wants to loan Beckham, or considers selling an Edson Buddle... I'm pretty sure the League doesn't get involved b/c L.A. is owned by AEG.

Incidentally... back to the issue of De Rosario Is He The League MVP?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
DeRosario is a very good player. Could see him on a team like Everton or Fulham, Bolton even Aston Villa now.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »
Di Only Star player who played in the MLS before dey draw fi the walking stick is Stern John. Now The MLS is taking guys that cant play any where else.. I am upset lately wid MLS and I will say Fire has a lot wid me being upset wid the MLS..

war
So what about Bocanegra, Hahneman(sp?), Dempsey, and McBride??
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »
By the way, I heard that a new franchise , the San Antonio Scorpions, will be joining the MLS. Any truth to this??

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »

war
So what about Bocanegra, Hahneman(sp?), Dempsey, and McBride??

By the way, I heard that a new franchise , the San Antonio Scorpions, will be joining the MLS. Any truth to this??

Stuart Holden, Juan Toja, Maurice Edu also come to recent memory.

And yuh wrong, MLS not taking players that can't make the cut anywhere. MLS bringing in players from youth teams and players that are before their peak years. That is the movement they after.

Montreal Impact is playing in the league next year. The next one will probably be New York Cosmos. As far as San Antonio is concerned, they  will be playing in NASL (Div 2).

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »
yes, San Antonio is playing in NASL. It would be really interesting to see if they were to introduce promotion and demotion in US football.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
I now watching a Central Defense that worse than Arsenal.
With D like that, D.C. United just wasting De Rosario time.
He gone off with an injury in the 2nd half.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
yes, San Antonio is playing in NASL. It would be really interesting to see if they were to introduce promotion and demotion in US football.
Teams that had to pay X amount of millions of dollars to join like Seattle, Vancouver, Philly and Montreal mightn't go fuh dat.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
The other youth that went overseas with DeRosario was Paul Stalteri. Plenty looks from foreign teams, but seems he was also branded as good, but possessing nothing special in his arsenal. " nothing special " and " arsenal " just go so easy together eh.   ::)
Doh loss yuh head boss

1]; } ?>