June 16, 2024, 07:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!  (Read 107501 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
I see Ato on NBC's Olympic day programming today. About 2-3 minutes

He commented about Bolt, Blake, Gay, Gatlin, Carmelita Jeter

Nice synopsis.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
Ato says 3 medals for T&T. I hope more.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-02/boldon-eyes-three-medals-tt

Boldon eyes three medals for T&T
Published:
Thursday, August 2, 2012

The athletic section of the London Olympics is due to start tomorrow. What are T&T’s chances? Ato Jabari Boldon may have put on some weight, particularly around his waist, but he has not allowed this excess, or his increasingly grey look to stop him from talking a good talk. No wonder the NBC Network has engaged his services for yet another Olympics.
We chatted yesterday about T&T’s medal chances which Boldon described as good. “This team has a very good chance of winning some medals. It is one of the best balanced teams I have seen in a long time.” Boldon had an opportunity to meet with the T&T contingent during the pre-Olympic camp in Wales. He said he got a positive vibe from the group.

“Jehue Gordon has that look, I know it. He just seems to have that expression, that belief. He will surprise some people. He stood out. He has already decided in his mind the time he wants to achieve. He has gone so far as to write up times all over mirrors, walls in his room, his shoes. He is clearly showing that he is mentally focussed and understands what is needed both physically and mentally,” noted the four time Olympic medallist. Boldon expects the women’s 4x100 metres team to break into the medals.  “They should have secured a medal in the past. This is their chance. If the men’s 4x100 metres team don’t medal, they would be very disappointed as would all of us. They have a very good team,” he said. Boldon described Keston Bledman and Richard Thompson as competitive guys who will go out hard: “But it will not be easy with so much competition.”

He warned against writing off Kelly Ann Baptiste: “A lot of people are writing her off because of her last few races. But she has an achilles problem, so she had to nurse herself through the last couple of weeks, so if she is at her best, anything can happen.” Boldon, who is coaching both athletes and professional footballers in the NFL in Florida, said: “If I go to sleep today and wake up in two weeks time and someone told me T&T won three medals, I would not be surprised. That is how much I am expecting it to happen,” said Boldon. He suggested a good performance for T&T could signal a renewal of interest in the sports: “It would be a good way to encourage youngsters to come forward.” For his part, Boldon says he feels he can still run a 100 metres but instead of 9.86 (his pb), he feels he can do 10.50. Some six months prior to the last Games, Boldon predicted a 100 metres win for Usain Bolt and second for Richard Thompson. He was right. Three medals for T&T this time. Let’s hope that once more, he is on target.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Damn, did not realize KAB has an achilles issue, hope she is as ready as she can be, as if she is, really, isn't bronze at least guaranteed?  She is right in the CJ, SAFP league
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
She is okay.

Surprised Ato hasnt released his predications as yet.. Here is my 8 for the womens final. No particular order:

Veronica Campbell Brown
Kelly Ann Baptiste
Allison Felix
Shelly Ann Fraser Price
Carmelita Jeter
Blessing Okagbare
Tianna Madison
Kerron Stewart

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
KAB for gold. I dreaming big.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Baptiste gets first taste of action
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2012, 01:52:11 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,164263.html

Baptiste gets first taste of action
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Friday, August 3 2012

Trinidad and Tobago’s Kelly-Ann Baptiste will get her first taste of Olympic action today with the preliminaries of the Women’s 100m event taking off at 5.40 pm.

The red, white and black will be flown today by seasoned sprinters Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Michelle Lee Ahye, Semoy Hackett while 400m hurdler Jehue Gordon will be in action as well as triple jumper Ayanna Alexander.

Baptiste is considered TT’s best chance of a medal but a recent Achilles tendonitis injury at the pre-Olympic training camp in Cardiff, Wales, caused a bit of a panic.

Speaking with the manager of the national track and field Olympic team yesterday, Dexter Voisin revealed that Baptiste has been going through her normal training routines.

“With reference to Kelly-Ann and the rumours of an injury, all we can say is that she has continued to do her usual training and is coming along well. This injury that has been so rampant in the media was actually sustained before the National Championships in Trinidad. So there’s no new injury. What I can proudly say though, is that the medical teams have been very supportive and they are working with her and all the other athletes to ensure they are all in top-form ahead of their respective events. There is currently no concern here that Kelly-Ann is injured,” he explained.

“Kelly-Ann has displayed a lot of positive signs. She seems to be very relaxed and ready to perform on the Olympic track. It’s going to be a great event,” he added

The national team manager revealed that while most of the international focus is directed toward Baptiste, Ahye and Hackett should not be easily overlooked.

He continued, “The women have been coming along nicely and they are on course for tomorrow (today).

“Pertaining to injuries, all athletes always have a little something that can be a nag at times but we’re good thus far. Kai Selvon will not be competing in the 100m and I can safely say that the three other sprinters are ready for this event.”

Voisin also made particular mention of Gordon. Similarly, he indicated that the 400m hurdler is in good form and eagerly anticipates his Olympic-berth.

He stated that Gordon is among the top contenders expected to progress through the preliminary stages and into the semi-finals and finals.

TT will also be represented today by one field athlete, Ayanna Alexander in the Women’s Triple Jump qualifying round. On June 12, Alexander recorded her personal best distance of 14.14m at a meet in Charlottesville, Virginia.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Olympians get advice on progressing
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2012, 01:54:54 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,164265.html

TT Olympians get advice on progressing
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Friday, August 3 2012

Five Trinidad and Tobago’s Olympians took part in a motivational session organised by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) on Wednesday to aid in their performance at the London Olympics currently underway.

The TTOC has now ensured that this is done 48 hours prior to any event being contested by a local athlete.

Former Olympic long jump gold medallist (1964) Lynn Davies of Great Britain and national 400m Olympian (1964) Edwin Skinner sat down with Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Michell Lee Ahye, Semoy Hackett, Jehue Gordon and Ayanna Alexander to impart some words of competitive wisdom. Speaking with the manager of the national track and field team in England yesterday, Dexter Voisin explained some of the topics that were touched by the highly experienced duo.

“We all sat down and had a detailed but very beneficial chat with the athletes competing tomorrow (today).

These sessions are being conducted so that athletes can voice their personal concerns and remove any extra anxiety in them, before they go out and compete. It was also designed to assist them in their final preparations,” Voisin stated.

The national Olympic team manager revealed that these five athletes were mainly told to veer their thoughts and focus away, from medalling. He stated that this was one of the major factors that indirectly hampered the progress of an athlete throughout the qualifying stages of any event.

“Davies and Skinner hit the nail on the head for these athletes. While everyone wants to win a medal, there is a very important qualification journey that one must overcome first, before the thought of a medal should enter the athletes’ mind. What these Olympians told our athletes was to take the preliminaries and qualifiers one event at a time. Simple,” he said.

Voisin continued, “Don’t worry about gold now. Focus on the event that’s at hand and move on from there.

Athletes must know that they should try to perform in relation to their training routines and not over exert themselves in the early stages.”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Swimming: Bovell confident of winning second Olympic medal today
« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2012, 02:01:01 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/GO_GEORGE_GO_-164837516.html

GO GEORGE GO!
Bovell confident of winning second Olympic medal today

By Kwame Laurence in London
Story Created: Aug 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM ECT

George Bovell is confident a second Olympic medal is within his grasp.

"Of course. Absolutely. Gotta believe it."

The 29-year-old Trinidad and Tobago swimmer booked his men's 50 metres freestyle championship race lane with a sizzling 21.77 seconds semifinal swim, at the Aquatics Centre, here in London, England, yesterday.

Bovell had produced the same time in the morning session to win his preliminary round heat, advancing to the semis as the fastest qualifier. He seized an early advantage in the race, and at the halfway mark was clear of the field. Anthony Ervin battled back, but could not catch his T&T rival, the American touching in 21.83—six-hundredths of a second slower than Bovell's 21.77.

Bovell is the national 50 free record holder at 21.20 seconds. That time, however, was achieved in a polyurethane suit. Such suits have since been banned by the International Swimming Federation (FINA).

Yesterday's clocking is the best time ever produced by Bovell in a textile suit.

"My form is looking good," he told the Express, after his opening round swim. "The best time in my career. But you got to keep in mind this is just a qualification for the semifinal. In the big picture, it means nothing. It's three battles to victory—one at a time."

Bovell successfully negotiated battle number two, the 21.77 swim earning him second spot in the second semifinal, behind Brazilian Bruno Fratus (21.63) and ahead of France's Florent Manaudou (21.80).

"Some things were really great," said Bovell, after the semis. "My stroke looked good, I felt good, but my dive wasn't as powerful as this morning. Honestly, tonight felt easier. I wasn't as tired at the end. I think I can get down to 21.5."

He might even have to go faster to challenge for the top spot in today's final.

In the opening semifinal, American Cullen Jones and Brazil's reigning Olympic champion Cesar Cielo were joint first, both swimmers touching the wall in 21.54 seconds. Ervin, who shared Olympic gold with his teammate Gary Hall Jr at the 2000 Sydney Games, copped third spot in 21.62.

Bovell was fifth fastest in the semis—a result he is familiar with. At the 2004 Athens Games, he was fifth best in the semifinal round of the 200m individual medley. In the final, though, he stepped up his game, finishing third to become the first ever T&T swimmer to climb an Olympic podium.

Bovell is certain history can repeat itself in today's 3.09 p.m. (T&T time) final.

"I'm here to do my best, and I wouldn't still be in the sport if I didn't think I had a chance to medal."

On Sunday, Bovell finished first in his heat and 29th overall in the 100m backstroke in 55.22 seconds—a new national record. He was scheduled to swim again on Tuesday, in the 100 free heats, but decided to skip the event.

"I'm a medal contender in the 50 freestyle. The 100 freestyle, a great swim takes me into a semifinal, but I don't believe I could have gone any further. We're here to get medals. If we have a chance to get a medal, do everything we can, so I pulled out of the hundred. Two 100 swims would have taken its toll on me physically."

In today's 50 free championship race, the 2004 200m IM bronze medallist will swim in lane two.

"We're sitting really good right now. I didn't want to be in the middle of the pool. My dive is one of the better dives, and if I pull up ahead, moving at this speed, people can actually draught off of me. For the first part of the race, hopefully I won't be pulling anybody."

What is certain is that Bovell will push his body to the limit in a bid to double his Olympic medal collection.

Editor's Note: Viewers can witness George Bovell going for his second Olympic medal exclusively on TV6 at 3.09 p.m. today.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gymnastics: Smiles for Douglas ...tears for Komova
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2012, 02:04:01 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Smiles_for_Douglas-164837576.html

Smiles for Douglas
...tears for Komova

l LONDON

The ear-to-ear smile of 16-year-oldAmerican Gabby Douglas and the tears of Russian Victoria Komova told the story of Olympic triumph and heartbreak in the women's all-around gymnastics yesterday.

As Douglas waved presidentially to family, friends and teammates cheering her coronation as the new first lady of gymnastics, Komova slumped into a chair and pressed her hands to her face to try to stem the tears that flowed for the loss of the gold medal.

Not satisfied with silver, world champion Komova removed the medal from around her neck between leaving the awards ceremony and getting to the exit door of North Greenwich Arena's competition hall.

"It was too heavy," she told waiting reporters via a translator, saying the medal had been consigned to the pocket of her red-and-white track suit.

Douglas, meanwhile, had barely stopped grinning since the giant scoreboard suspended in the middle of North Greenwich Arena had flashed up her new status.

"It just feels amazing to be called the Olympic champion; I'm so honoured to be named that," said the talkative teenager dubbed the "Flying Squirrel" for the shape she makes on her favourite apparatus, the asymmetric bars.

Douglas bounced down from the floor with a huge smile after finishing the evening with a storming routine which had the crowd clapping along. Komova, last up, thought she had done enough to overhaul the American but the scoreboard showed otherwise.

A tiebreak settled the bronze medal, with Russian Aliya Mustafina far happier with her lot than Komova after beating American Aly Raisman on a tally of their best three of the four apparatus scores.

In the space of five months, Douglas has upset the gymnastics order in the world and at home. Allowed to compete unofficially at the American Cup in March, she outscored all the established women. In the US trials last month, she pipped world all-around champion Jordyn Wieber to top spot for London.

Wieber, who came to London with high hopes, was reduced to a spectator on Thursday even though she had the fourth-best qualifying score for the final. With Douglas and Raisman above her, she fell foul of a rule that states that no country can put more than two gymnasts into the all-around.

With Wieber out, Komova, who took silver behind the American at last October's world championships in Tokyo, went into Thursday's event confident that she could get a gold to make up for Russia's second place behind the US in the team event--another outcome that produced a flood of tears.

Douglas, though, led from the start with a bit of luck on the vault. Though she hopped sideways slightly on landing, all her rivals did worse, with Komova ending up right off the mat.

Raisman banged her foot on one of the asymmetric bars, slipped to fifth place and began to look worried but, with Douglas and Komova clearly duelling for the gold, she got a sliver of bronze hope when her group progressed to the beam.

Mustafina, the 2010 world all-around champion, fell after attempting a twisting somersault and wobbled through the rest of the routine, looking miserable as she dismounted and scoring a low 13.633.

Raisman knew she could seize the upper hand but it was not to be. She managed to just save herself from toppling off the end of the beam, then wobbled badly on a spin.

In the final floor exercise, world bronze medallist Raisman outscored Mustafina but not by enough. The two women finished on equal points and the tiebreak rule gave the bronze to Mustafina.

The Russian, who has come back from knee surgery last year, can go home and compare her bronze medal with the one won by her father, Farhat Mustafin, who collected his for Greco-Roman wrestling at the 1976 Montreal Olympics.

China's Deng Linlin and Huang Quishuang finished sixth and seventh respectively, while Romanian team bronze medallist Sandra Izbasa was fifth despite the day's best score on the floor.

Hannah Whelan, competing at her home Olympics, ended the day in tears and in last place after falling face-first from the vault on her third rotation and getting a zero score.

The day, though, belonged entirely to Douglas, with her coach Liang Chow basking in more Olympic success after helping Shawn Johnson to win all-around silver at the Beijing Games.

US team co-ordinator Marta Karolyi confessed that, 10 days ago, she had harboured serious doubts about Douglas's ability to compete because she was not concentrating.

"I talked to Chow and said: 'We have to address that. Have a good talk with her, we have to turn her around because she's going in the wrong direction.' She just wasn't able to focus so much.

"We addressed that with her and she reacted very nicely and next day she worked excellent and everything went in a straight line from there."

Whatever Karolyi and Chow said to the teenager, it worked. If Douglas keeps her focus, she could collect more gold in the finals of the asymmetric bars and the beam on Monday and Tuesday. London, it seems, has not seen the last of that smile just yet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:07:53 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tennis: Federer, Serena through to semi-finals
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2012, 02:06:12 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Federer___Serena__through_to_semi-finals-164837586.html

Federer, Serena through to semi-finals

l LONDON

Wimbledon champions Roger Federer and Serena Williams were on course for further success at the All-England Club after booking their places in the Olympic singles semi-finals yesterday.

World number one Federer will face Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro for a place in the final, while Williams takes on top women's seed Victoria Azarenka in a repeat of her Wimbledon semi last month.

The two other semi-finals will pit Beijing bronze medallist Novak Djokovic against number three seed Andy Murray, and Russia's Maria Kirilenko faces her teammate Maria Sharapova.

Federer secured his place in the last four with a 6-4, 7-6 win over America's John Isner, snatching victory in the second-set tiebreak with a cheeky shot which bounced off the top of the net. "You just feel bad really. But relief because it's finally over...maybe I just got really lucky today," Federer told reporters.

"I don't want to say that I feel invincible right now, but I feel good," he added. "I'm not the only guy with confidence... It's a complete open tournament, I think. Everyone has a very good chance of going all the way."

Del Potro, who beat Federer in the US Open final in 2009, overcame Japan's Kei Nishikori 6-4, 7-6 for his spot in the last four. "I am very happy to be in the semi-finals in my first Olympic Games. It is amazing. I don't have too many words to explain this moment," the eighth seed said after his win.

Second seed Djokovic dropped just one game in the first set of his quarter-final clash with France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who was exhausted from playing in both the doubles and singles on Wednesday after clocking up the longest three-set match in Olympic history a day earlier. Although the Frenchman took a 3-1 lead in the second, five-times grand slam winner Djokovic clawed it back to win 6-1, 7-5.

Watched by Prince William and his wife Kate, Britain's Murray eased to a 6-4, 6-1 win over injury-troubled Spaniard Nicolas Almagro, who received treatment on his right arm and shoulder after the first set.

In the women's event Belarusian Azarenka booked her place in the final four with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Germany's Angelique Kerber.

Russia, which made a clean sweep of the women's singles medals in Beijing, can be sure of taking home at least one in London, with Sharapova and Kirilenko both through to the semi-finals. The pair will play each other for a spot in the final after number three seed Sharapova ended Kim Clijsters's hopes of an Olympic medal before her planned retirement later this year, beating the Belgian 6-2, 7-5.

Having been broken in the second set, a valiant Clijsters battled back to level the score but was broken again and, with the Russian serving for the match, the Belgian ploughed a backhand into the net to hand her opponent the victory.

"Kim is so experienced, I knew that it would be really tough...it was such a tight second set, I was just happy to get through this one," Sharapova told reporters, excited that a Russian would reach the final. "No matter who's there someone will be getting a gold or silver medal. It makes me really happy that one of us will represent our country in the finals, going for gold," she added. "It's a pretty great honour not just to be here but to have a chance to win a gold medal. We're so happy."

Number 14 seed Kirilenko overcame Czech former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova 7-6, 6-3, while American Williams made light work of Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki, dismissing the eighth seed 6-0, 6-3.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Swimming: Phelps completes milestone
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Phelps__completes__milestone-164837596.html

Phelps completes milestone

l LONDON

Michael Phelps became the first male swimmer to win the same event at three successive Olympics when he clinched the men's 200 metres individual medley gold medal at the London Games yesterday.

The American may no longer be the unstoppable force he was in Beijing four years ago but he still provided an everlasting reminder of his incredible talent and determination by winning the gruelling multi-discipline event.

Phelps led all the way and got his giant hands on the wall first in a time of one minute, 54.27 seconds, relegating compatriot and world champion Ryan Lochte to silver and Hungary's Laszlo Cseh to bronze.

"To be able to win the gold medal and repeat three times is something pretty special," Phelps said. "I'm pretty pleased with gold."

Lochte beat Phelps in the 400 medley on the opening night of the swimming competition but was close to exhaustion in their second highly-anticipated clash after competing in the 200 backstroke final half an hour before the medley.

"I can't complain. I'm bringing home five Olympic medals," said Lochte, who won two gold, two silver and a bronze in London. "I've had some ups and downs but I'll take it."

Lochte won both the 200 backstroke and 200 individual medley at last year's world championship but was unable to win either this time, finishing third in the backstroke behind another of his teammates.

Tyler Clary, who has spent most of his career swimming in the shadows of Phelps and Lochte, stormed home on the last lap to win gold in 1:53.41 ahead of Japan's Ryosuke Irie and Lochte, who faded on the final length after trying to lead all the way.

"It's complete redemption," said Clary. "It's a testament to me more than anything that I can handle anything that gets thrown at me."

Rebecca Soni broke the world record for the second time in 24 hours to win the 200 breaststroke as the US continued their domination in the pool, winning 11 gold medals in the first six days.

Soni surged away from her rivals on the final lap to win in 2:19.59, slashing four-tenths of a second off the record she set in the semi-finals, while Japan's Satomi Suzuki won the silver medal and the bronze went to Iuliia Efimova of Russia.

Soni also won the four-lap event in Beijing four years ago and by winning in London she became the first woman to successfully defend a breaststroke title at the Olympics.

Ranomi Kromowidjojo of the Netherlands prevented an American sweep of the four golds decided on Thursday when she won the 100 freestyle final in 53.00 seconds.

After completing the first lap in fourth place, the flying Dutchwoman hit the accelerator on the last length, surging clear to win ahead of Aliaksandra Herasimenia of Belarus, who was joint world champion last year, and China's Tang Yi.

American teenager Missy Franklin finished out of the medals in fifth place but won a semi-final of the 200 backstroke to book her place in today's final.

Phelps also secured himself a spot in another final, the 100 butterfly, after posting the fastest semi-final time around 40 minutes after winning the medley.

Only two swimmers had ever won the same individual event at three successive Olympics, Australia's Dawn Fraser, in 100 freestyle in 1956, 1960 and 1964, and Hungary's Krisztina Egerszegi in 200 backstroke in 1988, 1992 and 1996.

It is a feat that had eluded generations of the best male swimmers but not Phelps, who now has a staggering total of 20 Olympic medals, including 16 gold, and the chance to win two more before his retirement at the end of the Games.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Putin, Phelps show golden touch
« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Putin__Phelps_show_golden_touch-164837666.html

Putin, Phelps show golden touch

l LONDON

Black belt Vladimir Putin cheered a Russian judoka to a gold medal at the Olympics yesterday, and American Michael Phelps hit new heights by becoming the first male swimmer to win the same event at three successive Games.

The futuristic velodrome witnessed six world cycling records, a double disqualification and golds for Britain's men and Germany's women in the team sprints.

Elsewhere, a 'play-to-lose' badminton scandal took a new twist when a disqualified Chinese player said she was quitting the sport.

Controversy also struck in boxing. A Turkmen referee was expelled for failing to stop a bout in which a fighter was knocked down six times, and an Angolan coach was deemed a "plonker" by his team chief for failing to present their only fighter for a weigh-in, thus getting him disqualified.

It was Russian President Putin who staged one of the day's most emphatic victory celebrations, leaping to his feet with both fists aloft when his countryman Tagir Khaibulaev defeated a Mongolian opponent to win Russia's third judo gold.

Putin, who cultivates a macho image based partly on his skills on the mat, slapped the victor repeatedly on the back and grabbed his cheeks with both hands.

In buoyant mood, he went on to suggest to Russian news agency Interfax that members of female punk band Pussy Riot, on trial for protesting against him in a Moscow cathedral, should not be judged too harshly.

Prime Minister David Cameron watched the judo with Putin and had reasons of his own to celebrate, as Britain rose to fifth in the medals table with golds in the men's cycling, double trap shooting and canoe slalom double.

In the scandal over match-throwing in the badminton tournament, disqualified Chinese Yu Yang announced she was quitting the sport in anguish.

"This is my last competition. Goodbye Badminton World Federation, goodbye my beloved badminton," Yu wrote on her microblog.

She was one of eight women, two each from China and Indonesia and four from South Korea, who were kicked out of the Games for playing to lose group matches in order to secure easier knockout berths.

The badminton debacle has been among the few sour notes of a Games distinguished by enthusiastic crowds, dismal British weather and the historic accomplishments of US swimmer Phelps.

Two days after breaking the all-time record for the most Olympic medals with 19, he added a 20th--and his 16th gold--by winning the 200 metres individual medley.

In their final duel before Phelps is due to retire, he pushed compatriot and world champion Ryan Lochte into second place.

Two female swimmers, Australia's Dawn Fraser and Hungary's Krisztina Egerszegi, had won the same individual event at three Games, but no man had previously achieved the feat.

It was a first individual gold of the London Games for Phelps, no longer the all-conquering figure who won an unprecedented eight gold medals four years ago in Beijing.

The United States also celebrated victories for its women's rowing eight and for 16-year-old Gabby Douglas in the all-around gymnastics, where she edged out Russians Victoria Komova and Aliya Mustafina.

"The all-round matters to me. People keeping saying I was the first black American to win the gold medal and I'm so honoured," Douglas, nicknamed Flying Squirrel, told reporters after claiming the biggest prize in women's gymnastics.

For the first time at these Games, the Americans drew level in the overall medals table with China, on 18 golds each. China has 34 medals in all, including 11 silver and five bronze, while the US has 37, with nine silver and ten bronze.

In the velodrome, dubbed the Pringle for its resemblance to a curvy potato snack, Britain's men beat France and broke the world record in the team sprint final.

"We gave it our all and it worked out," said Chris Hoy after picking up his sixth Games medal and fifth gold.

The Chinese and British women had also set world records. But the latter, strong medal contenders, were disqualified after Victoria Pendleton went too early on a change-over with teammate Jessica Varnish.

China were relegated for a takeover infringement in the women's final, ending with the silver medal as the German team celebrated their promotion to gold.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wiggins short-changed with golden glow
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2012, 02:15:35 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Wiggins_short-changed_with_golden_glow-164837676.html

Wiggins short-changed with golden glow

l LONDON

Some fans sported fake Bradley Wiggins sideburns while roaring on the Briton to gold in the Olympic time trial on Wednesday, while one could have been wearing the Tour de France champion's shorts.

Such is Wiggins's popularity in his homeland after he became the first Briton to win the Tour that his shorts were stolen on Tuesday while he was using the shower and sauna at the Foxhills hotel in Surrey.

Tired and a little distant after being crowned Britain's most-decorated Olympian earlier in the day when he carved around the 44km course in a little less than 51 minutes, Wiggins told a news conference the fan was welcome to his sweaty gear.

"It's only a bit of cycling kit. But you don't expect pilferers to do that in a five-star spa," he told reporters at the Olympic Park after he arrived without his gold medal, much to the dismay of photographers.

Earlier, a statement from the hotel said: "Upon returning back to the locker room it seems that cycling fever has well and truly hit the Surrey club as the Official Team GB training lycra were nowhere to be seen.

"It seems an over-zealous fan has scored a fantastic London 2012 souvenir."

Wiggins thought the smell of his kit would probably force the fan to sell it.

"Sweaty cycling kit is probably on eBay tonight," he joked, vodka and tonic nearby to help him see out a gruelling day.

"You start to get a bit frustrated and angry," he said when asked to sum up his emotions.

"It's ten past ten now. This is the part you don't prepare for. The minute you finish it's mad, it's the same on the Tour, the only difference there was they got me straight out of Paris on Sunday night to concentrate on the Games.

"But now the Olympics are done there's no excuse to do something else. A lot's changed. I never expected this to happen to me."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Referee expelled from London Games
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2012, 02:17:35 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Referee_expelled_from_London_Games-164837646.html

Referee expelled from London Games

l LONDON

Referee Ishanguly Meretnyyazov from Turkmenistan has been expelled from the London Olympics, the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) said yesterday.

A second referee, Frank Scharmach of Germany, was suspended for five days by AIBA and a technical official from Azerbaijan sent home following two controversial decisions at the Olympic competition on Wednesday.

"I deeply regret that we had to take these decisions," AIBA president Wu Ching-Kuo said in a statement.

"However, our main concern has been and will always be the protection of the integrity and fair-play of our competitions. I will take all possible steps to reinforce this."

He later told Reuters: "There is only one truth and we always get to the truth."

Meretnyyazov failed to stop a men's bantamweight bout despite fighter Magomed Abdulhamidov being knocked down six times in the final round. The referee was expelled with immediate effect and AIBA said he was on his way home.

Japan's Satoshi Shimizu, who went into the last round of the bout against the Azerbaijani trailing by seven points, lost the contest by five when all three rounds were scored.

AIBA later overturned the verdict saying Meretnyyazov should have given the Azerbaijani "at least" three standing counts which would have resulted in the contest being stopped.

Iran's Ali Mazaheri accused officials of "a fix" after being disqualified by referee Scharmach in the second round of his opening heavyweight bout against Cuban Jose Larduet Gomez following three warnings for persistent holding.

Mazaheri was leading by two points going into the second round but the Iran team did not appeal and under AIBA rules it is now too late to do so.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) restored ties with AIBA in 2006 after freezing some funds to the association over controversial scoring decisions at the 2004 Athens Games.

At the time, the IOC expressed concerns over the scoring process and the selection of judges and froze more than US$1 million in payments to AIBA.

The boxing tournament in Athens was marred by several controversial scores that angered spectators and fans.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Athletics: Campbell-Brown says it will be difficult to retain 200m crown
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:41 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Campbell-Brown_says_it_will_be_difficult_to_retain_200m_crown-164837606.html

Campbell-Brown says it will be difficult to retain 200m crown

Reigning Olympic 200 metres queen Veronica Campbell-Brown conceded Wednesday it will be difficult to successfully defend her crown at the London Olympics.

The 30-year-old has not been enjoying the best of seasons, suffering a string of defeats this year which have hinted at chinks in her armour.

She told journalists here that she had worked hard on her preparation for the Olympics, however, and would be giving the title defence her best shot.

"I put in all the work and I know it will be absolutely difficult for me to claim victory here in the 200m but anything can happen," she said.

"I prepared well and so I just have to keep my mental focus right and make sure that I get my race together. It will come down to execution and mental focus and I will go out there and I will give it my all and we will see what happens."

Campbell-Brown has run a season-best 10.82 seconds in the 100 metres for second behind Olympic champion and fellow Jamaican Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (10.70) at the Jamaica trials.

She was again beaten in the 200m at the trials, running 22.42 behind Fraser-Pryce and Sherone Simpson.

But the most notable of her defeats came in Lucerne on July 17, when she ran 22.70 for second behind American Charonda Williams (22.52).

Campbell-Brown, who will run both 100m and 200m races at the Olympics, agreed it had not been her best year but said she was remaining optimistic.

"I will not dwell on those (bad races) and look on those as something negative… I learned from those races and I am going into my competition here very confident," she said.

"I am going to go out there and give it my best and only God knows what the result will be. I have trained hard this season and not because I had a few races that did not went too well, I am not going to let that deter my confidence or allow it to let me feel weak or anything."

Campbell-Brown won back-to-back 200m titles in Athens and Beijing, on both occasions beating American Allyson Felix, a three-time world champion over the distance.

However, she won her first 200m world title last year in Deagu.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IAAF president: Bolt can run 9.40s
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2012, 02:21:51 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/IAAF_president___Bolt_can_run_9_40s_-164837616.html

IAAF president: Bolt can run 9.40s

Olympic champion Usain Bolt could lower his 100 metres world record to 9.4 seconds if in shape and the rain clouds stay away from London, International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) president Lamine Diack said.

"Anything is possible. I think if Usain Bolt is in shape possibly we will see 9.40-something (seconds) in the 100m," Diack told reporters on Tuesday.

Bolt's record-breaking 100m win in 9.69 stunned the world four years ago at the Beijing Olympic Games only for the 27-year-old Jamaican to better his time to 9.58 in Berlin at the world championships a year later. Bolt also holds the world record in the 200m set at 19.19 set in 2009 in Berlin as well.

In London, though, he has a new challenge from a familiar face in training partner and compatriot Yohan Blake, who beat Bolt in the 100m and 200m at the Jamaican trials and is the fastest man over the first distance this year.

"I am convinced that we are going to have extraordinary events and spectacles," Diack said. "For me the Games begin on the 3rd (when track and field starts)."

American great Michael Johnson said earlier this month that he too believed Bolt is capable of running 9.40 seconds if he can improve his starting position in races.

Diack also confirmed that the Federation would stick with its one false start rule, having recently clarified that athletes can twitch or flinch in the starting blocks without being disqualified as long as their hands do not leave the ground or their feet leave the blocks.

Bolt famously false started in the final of last year's world championship 100 metres, ending his chances of defending his title in South Korea.

The IAAF added that the dates for the world championships in London, 2017, had been approved as August 5-13.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Blake downplays 'experience' factor
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2012, 02:23:33 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Blake_downplays__experience__factor-164837626.html

Blake downplays 'experience' factor

l LONDON

World champion Yohan Blake has dismissed experience as a key factor in the contest this weekend that will determine the fastest man on the planet.

The 22-year-old is one of the favourites to win the Olympic 100 metres but will enter the competition with the odds stacked against him.

While he is the fastest man this year, the Jamaican is expected to face at least three others who over the years have run faster times.

Add to that, Blake is less experienced than his main rivals, something he does not feel will be that crucial on the big day.

"One thing I really hate is about (the term) experience," said Blake, who left tongues wagging in June when he twice beat reigning Olympic champion Usain Bolt at the Jamaica Trials.

"Experience for me, it doesn't work. Everybody talking about experience this, experience that, for me it's all about going out there, keep focused and get the job done.

"It's not about beating Usain. On the day, everybody wants the gold and to get the gold you have to win, so I am just focused on getting the job done."

Blake has run a season-best 9.75 seconds, when he beat Bolt in the 100m final in Kingston

However, Bolt is the world record holder with 9.58 seconds, American Tyson Gay is next best with 9.69 and Jamaican Asafa Powell, who held the world record for three years, is third on the list at 9.72.

Despite the hype surrounding the Olympic showdown, Blake said he was hardly thinking about the event.

"I don't really think about it. I spent my time watching cricket and I also watch the gymnastics and swimming but I try not to think about the Olympics, I just have fun, but when I am on the track I am in the beast mood," said the athlete who is nicknamed "the Beast".

Last year, Blake rose to stardom when he took gold at the World Championships in Daegu, but became a serious contender for the double in London since his 100-200m victory over Bolt at the Jamaica Championships.

While those victories put a different spin to the men's 100m race, Blake pushed backed on suggestions that he would be under pressure when the track segment opened.

"There is no pressure, as I said coach (Glen) Mills has been working with me over the years and it really paid off," he said.

—CMC

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BAPTISTE CHASES HISTORY ...100 medal a realistic goal, says 'Torpedo'
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/BAPTISTE_CHASES_HISTORY-164837706.html

BAPTISTE CHASES HISTORY
100 medal a realistic goal, says 'Torpedo'

By Kwame Laurence in London

Kelly-Ann Baptiste is hoping to become the first female athlete from Trinidad and Tobago to earn Olympic precious metal.

The 25-year-old track star will open her bid for a 100 metres medal this afternoon, at the Olympic Stadium, here in London, England. The first of seven heats is scheduled for 2.05 p.m. (T&T time). The draw, however, will not be made until the completion of the preliminary round, which will feature the slower women entered in the event.

Baptiste and her T&T teammates, Semoy Hackett and Michelle-Lee Ahye, are automatically through to the first round proper.

Baptiste already has a place in the history books, the Plymouth, Tobago lass bagging 100m bronze at the World Championships, in Daegu, Korea, last year, to become the first female T&T sprinter to earn a medal at a major senior global meet.

And Baptiste is only the second female athlete from this country to secure a top-three finish at that level, following in the footsteps of 2009 World Championship 400m hurdles bronze medallist Josanne Lucas.

Ayanna Alexander will be the first T&T track and field athlete to see action. She competes in the 5.25 a.m. (T&T time) women's triple jump qualifying competition. The 30-year-old athlete will jump in Group B, and needs to improve on her 14.15m national record to guarantee a berth in Sunday's final. The automatic mark is 14.40m.

Jehue Gordon has been drawn way out in lane nine in the fifth of six men's 400m hurdles first round heats. The heat five field also includes two-time Olympic champion Angelo Taylor (lane three), of the United States, South Africa's LJ Van Zyl (lane six) and Greek hurdler Periklis Iakovakis (lane eight).

The top three finishers in each heat will advance automatically to the semi-final round.

Taylor, Van Zyl and Iakovakis are all sub-48 one-lap hurdlers, while Gordon's personal best is 48.26 seconds, the time he produced in finishing fourth at the 2009 World Championships, in Berlin, Germany, as a 17-year-old.

However, of the eight men in the race, only Taylor and Gordon have dived under 49 seconds this season. Gordon's best 2012 clocking to date is 48.78 seconds, while Taylor's is 48.43.

For 20-year-old Gordon, facing the starter at the Olympics is a new experience.

Richard "Torpedo" Thompson, on the other hand, has been there, done that. At the 2008 Games, in Beijing, China, the T&T sprint star seized silver in the men's 100m final in 9.89 seconds, finishing second to Jamaica's Usain Bolt (9.69).

Thompson earned his second Olympic medal in the 4x100m relay, anchoring T&T to second spot, behind Jamaica.

In 2012, however, Thompson has had his challenges, battling to overcome an injury and some indifferent form on the circuit. Of the nine legal sub-10 runs he has produced in his career, only one has come this season—9.96 seconds in finishing second to Keston Bledman (9.86) at the National Open Championships.

"Being under the radar," Thompson told the Express, "is okay with me. It allows me to focus on the task at hand and not have to worry about outside distractions.

"Final preparations," he continued, "have been going well. All the hard work is behind me now. It's just a matter of staying sharp and getting sufficient rest, so I can perform at a high level. I feel really good. I'm just thankful to God to come into the meet confident about my health and lead-up preparations."

Tomorrow morning (T&T time), the 27-year-old athlete will open his bid for a second Olympic Games 100m medal.

"This is not going to be an easy task, but I have prepared my best and I think a medal is a realistic goal for me.

"The support from T&T has been overwhelming—the fans, other athletes, soca artistes and of course family and friends have truly extended their full support," Thompson ended. "That in itself is enough inspiration for me."

T&T cyclist Njisane Phillip will also be on show tomorrow morning. The 21-year-old Olympic debutant will do battle in the flying 200m—the qualifying event for the men's sprint.

"I don't want to be here," Phillip told the Express, "and say I'm just here for the experience. I actually want to do well. The aim is to get the gold medal, and just have fun doing it. There's definitely a possibility of medalling in the sprint event and the keirin event, but I know I can't make any mistakes."

Phillip is enjoying the Olympic experience.

"It feels great. Just being in the whole atmosphere is just a crazy feeling. It's not like Commonwealth or Pan Ams or CAC. It's a whole other level. You have the best of the best here. It's a great feeling."

Another Olympic debutant, sailor Andrew Lewis, will be back on the water today, following yesterday's rest day in the men's Laser class event.

Lewis is 42nd after six races, with a net score of 195.

At seven a.m. (T&T time), in Dorset, he will sail in race seven on the Weymouth Nothe course. And then, at 8.40, he will be on the Weymouth Harbour course, competing in race eight.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Today's London Olympics schedule - T&T Time
« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2012, 02:43:17 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Today_s_London_Olympics_schedule-164837686.html

Today's London Olympics schedule - T&T Time

Archery
(At Lord's Cricket Ground)

Men's Individual 1/8 eliminations, 4 a.m.
Men's Individual quarterfinals, semifinals, bronze and gold medal matches, 9 a.m.

Athletics (At Olympic Stadium)

Men's 400 Hurdles round 1, 3000 Steeplechase round 1, Hammer qualifying, Shot Put qualifying; Women's 100 classification heats, 400 round 1, Triple Jump qualifying, Heptathlon 100 hurdles, high jump, 5 a.m.
Men's 1500 round 1, Long Jump qualifying, Shot Put final; Women's 100 round 1, 10,000 final, Discus qualifying, Heptathlon: shot put, 200, 2 p.m.

Badminton (At Wembley Arena)

Women's Singles semifinals; Mixed Doubles bronze medal match, 4 a.m.
Men's Singles semifinals; Mixed Doubles gold medal match, 8:30 a.m.

Basketball (Olympic Park-Basketball Arena)

Women
Angola vs. Croatia, 4 a.m.
Russia vs. Australia, 6:15 a.m.
Brazil vs. Canada, 9:30 a.m.
Turkey vs. China, 11:45 a.m.
France vs. Britain, 3 p.m.
Czech Republic vs. United States, 5:15 p.m.

Beach Volleyball (At Horse Guards Parade)

Men's round of 16 (1 match), 4 a.m.
Women's round of 16 (1 match), 4 a.m.
Men's round of 16 (1 match), 8 a.m.
Women's round of 16 (1 match), 8 a.m.
Men's round of 16 (1 match) Noon
Women's round of 16 (1 match) Noon
Men's round of 16 (1 match), 4 p.m.
Women's round of 16 (1 match), 4 p.m.

Boxing (At ExCeL)

Men's Flyweight (52kg) and Men's Welterweight (69kg) round of 16, 8:30 a.m.
Men's Flyweight (52kg) and Men's Welterweight (69kg) round of 16, 3:30 p.m.

Cycling (Track) (At Olympic Park-Velodrome)

Men's Team Pursuit round 1, finals; Women's Keirin round 1 & repechages, round 2, finals; Women's Team Pursuit qualifying, 11 a.m.

Diving (At Olympic Park-Aquatics Centre)

Women's 3-Metre Springboard Prelims, 9:30 a.m.

Equestrian (Dressage) (At Greenwich Park)

Team Dressage: day 2, 6 a.m.

Fencing (At ExCeL)

Men's Team Sabre round of 16, quarterfinals, classifications (5th-8th places), semifinals, 5:30 a.m.
Men's Team Sabre bronze medal match, gold medal match, 1 p.m.

Field Hockey (At Olympic Park-Hockey Centre)

Men
Australia vs. Argentina, 3:30 a.m.
Netherlands vs. New Zealand, 5:45 a.m.
Germany vs. India, 8:45 a.m.
Britain vs. Pakistan, 11 a.m.
South Africa vs. Spain, 2 p.m.
Belgium vs. South Korea, 4:15 p.m.

Gymnastics (At Trampoline North Greenwich Arena)

Men's Trampoline qualification, final, 9 a.m.

Judo (At ExCeL)

Men's +100kg and Women's +78kg elimination rounds, quarterfinals, 4:30 a.m.
Men's +100kg and Women's +78kg repechages, semifinal contests, bronze and gold medal contests, 9 a.m.

Rowing (At Eton Dorney, Buckinghamshire)

Men's Pairs classification and final, Single Sculls and Quadruple Sculls classification and final; Women's Double Sculls classification and final, 4:30 a.m.

Sailing (At Weymouth and Portland, Dorset)

Men's 49er, 470, Finn, Laser, Star; Women's 470, Laser Radial, 7 a.m.

Shooting (At The Royal Artillery Barracks)

Men's 25-metre Rapid Fire Pistol qualification (Stage 2) and final; Men's 50-metre Rifle Prone qualification and final, 4 a.m.

Soccer

Women

At Hampden Park, Glacgow
Quarterfinal, 7 a.m.

At St James' Park, Newcastle
Quarterfinal, 9:30 a.m.

At Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Quarterfinal, Noon

At City of Coventry Stadium
Quarterfinal, 2:30 p.m.

Swimming (At Olympic Park-Aquatics Centre)

Men's 1500 Freestyle, 4x100 Medley Relay heats; Women's 50 Freestyle, 4x100 Medley Relay heats, 5 a.m.
Men's 50 Freestyle final, 100 Butterfly final; Women's 50 Freestyle semifinals, 200 Backstroke final, 800 Freestyle final, 2:30 p.m.

Table Tennis (At ExCeL)

Women's Team first round, 5 a.m.
Women's Team first round, 9:30 a.m.
Men's Team first round, 2 p.m.

Team Handball (At Copper Box)

Women
Angola vs. Britain, 4:30 a.m.
South Korea vs. France, 6:15 a.m.
Croatia vs. Montenegro, 9:30 a.m.
Russia vs. Brazil, 11:15 a.m.
Spain vs. Sweden, 2:30 p.m.
Denmark vs. Norway, 4:15 p.m.

Tennis (At Wimbledon)

Men's and women's Singles semifinals; Mixed Doubles semifinals; Mixed Doubles semifinals, 7 a.m.

Volleyball (At Earls Court)

Women
Brazil vs. China, 4:30 a.m.
Japan vs. Russia, 6:30 a.m.
Turkey vs. South Korea, 9:45 a.m.
Britain vs. Dominican Republic, 11:45 a.m.
United States vs. Serbia, 3 p.m.
Algeria vs. Italy, 5 p.m.

Water Polo (At Olympic Park-Water Polo Arena)

Women
Spain vs. Hungary, 9:10 a.m.
Russia vs. Australia, 10:30 a.m.
Britain vs. Italy, 1:20 p.m.
China vs. United States, 2:40 p.m.

Weightlifting (At ExCeL)

Men's 85kg group B and Women's 75kg group B, 5 a.m.
Women's 75kg group A (medal), 10:30 a.m.
Men's 85kg group A (medal), 2 p.m.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:55:10 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Optimism ignited for Bovell
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2012, 03:13:50 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-03/optimism-ignited-says-manager-voisin

OLYMPIC JOURNAL - Day 8
Optimism ignited says manager Voisin
Published: Friday, August 3, 2012
Andre Baptiste

George Bovell’s performances yesterday has ignited optimism in the T&T camp. Several of our athletes are tired of living in the shadows of their Caribbean counterparts, Jamaica, and Bovell’s cool demeanour as he qualified for today’s final, was certainly inspirational.  On the verge of the track and field which starts today, I met with Dexter Voison, our athletic manager here in London, to find out how much Bovell’s performance has done to inspire the rest of the contingent. Voison looked measured and relaxed. “There is a quiet mood of optimism in this team and George only helped to fuel that atmopshere. We attended the Pre Olympic Games in Wales over two weeks ago and when we did our debrief, we discovered it was one of our better camps. The athletes and the technical staff all felt the same way. Clearly our objectives were met. The athletes bonded well.

The seniors, Kelly Ann (Baptiste), Richard (Thompson), Marc (Burns) and the younger athletes were all great. It was also the first time we were able to get our athletes to do relay practice before their individual event, and that was a plus for us at the camp.” Concerns about sprinter Keston Bledman were played down as Voisin said Bledman would be ready to take his place in his events. “The official report  I had from Keston’s handler, Lance Brauman, is that he had a cramp while in the blocks at a recent meet. He attended the camp and went through his paces. He also trained with the relay team. From what I am seeing, he is fit.” With the relays a week away, Voisin said the highly favoured T&T team is working on passing the baton and general running. “So far the guys have been practicing with Richard Thompson as the lead off to Marc Burns to Rondel Sorrilo with Keston Bledman as the anchor. A decision will have to be made as we go through the different rounds. Whether we will use Callender in the semi finals is yet to be decided.”

Kelly Ann Baptiste, who won a bronze medal in the World Championships in the 100 metres, will be on the track today and Voison said Kelly Ann has been working with the medical team. “She has been moving around with some discomfort since June when we went to Bahamas to qualify for the women’s relay. She has been getting treatment on a regular basis.” Voison described the Olympic Village as massive. “The sleeping accommodation is very different from Beijing. We are a bit cramped in terms of space. The rooms are small but everybody has settled in. We cannot complain because all the other athletes are sleeping in the same rooms,” added Voisin.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympics News: Parties, pigeons and tax breaks
« Reply #200 on: August 03, 2012, 03:33:43 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-02/parties-pigeons-and-tax-breaks

Eyes on London
Parties, pigeons and tax breaks

LONDON—Around the 2012 Olympics and its host city with journalists from The Associated Press bringing the flavor and details of the games to you:

Post-ride party
He rode. Then he cut loose. After winning the time trial for his seventh Olympic medal, cyclist Bradley Wiggins marked the moment by getting “blind drunk.” It was a very public binge, with Wiggins posting messages and pictures on Twitter as he celebrated gold near St Paul’s Cathedral. “Getting wasted,” he tweeted, accompanied by a picture in which he was posing with a drink and flicking the V for victory sign. And Wiggins wasn’t slowing down. Later, the Tour de France champion tweeted: “Blind drunk at the minute...it’s been emotional.” British Olympic chief Colin Moynihan says Wiggins was “thoroughly entitled to have a fantastic party.”
—Rob Harris
http://twitter.com/robharris

Flickering flame
The cauldron is burning bright at 80,000 seat Olympic Stadium, where athletics begins today and that famous flame is flickering everywhere around the arena, thanks to the video boards showing it. Apparently it’s not enough to just have the real deal on hand, standing at one end, where it was moved after being on the grass infield during the opening ceremony. The screens constantly carrying close-ups of the cauldron are reminiscent of the fake fireplace that NBC used on its sets for broadcasts from the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. Trying to lend studio segments a warm and cozy feel, the network set up a screen that showed video of a fire, replete with wafting smoke.
— Howard Fendrich
http://twitter.com/HowardFendrich

All China final
Chuang Chih-Yuan of Taiwan played Thursday’s pingpong semifinal against Wang Hao of China. Chuang lost, meaning Wang will face compatriot Zhang Jike in an all-China final. Had Chuang won, it would have added a bit of politics into the mix. Taiwan is a self-governing democratic island, which split from China amid civil war in 1949. China, however, regards Taiwan as a renegade province. A final between China and Taiwan would have raised all kinds of interesting questions. For example: Large parts of the world would not have seen it as an all-China final, though that’s certainly how China would have seen it. Taiwan doesn’t even get to use its flag or real name in the Olympics, where it is identified as “Chinese Taipei.”
—Stephen Wade
http://twitter.com/StephenWade

Rower detained
A bit of trouble for an Australian rower yesterday morning: Josh Booth was detained by police for allegedly causing damage to a London storefront. Authorities say it was an alcohol-related incident, and it happened hours after he competed in the men’s eight at the Olympic rowing basin. Australian team chief Nick Green says Booth fainted while at the police station and was taken to the hospital. He was released a short time later and was not charged. Green, who says he received a call from police at 3 am yesterday about the incident, says he’ll make a decision on potential disciplinary action after he receives more information from the police and Booth. The 21-year-old Booth made his Olympic debut as the Australians finished sixth in the six-crew final of the eight at Windsor outside London on Wednesday.
—Dennis Passa
http://twitter.com/dennispassa

Photo on the fly
While his colleagues blogged, tweeted and filed stories with their smartphones and tablets from a media boat on Weymouth Bay during the London Olympics regatta, veteran British sailing scribe Bob Fisher regaled them with a yarn about how the games were covered 40 years ago.
Fisher recalled being on a media boat on the opening day of sailing at the Munich Olympics—the sailing venue was in Kiel—when a photographer from an evening newspaper in Copenhagen, Denmark, boarded with a wicker hamper.
“In it wasn’t his lunch,” Fisher said.
Turns out the hamper contained a carrier pigeon. Fisher said that after taking a picture of Denmark’s Paul Elvstrom at the start of the Soling race, the photographer put his camera in a changing bag, snipped off a negative, rolled it up tight and put it into a screw-top aluminum can. He strapped the canister to one leg of the carrier pigeon and released it.
“That picture appeared on the front page of the Copenhagen paper that evening,” Fisher said. “Here’s a guy who thought on his feet. Obviously he’d done it before, or had practiced it.”
Fisher has written 35 books and is working on three more books about the America’s Cup, including one titled, The Poisoned Chalice.
—Bernie Wilson
http://twitter.com/berniewilson

104 medal and counting
A rowing club founded nearly 200 years ago and located on the leafy banks of the River Thames is celebrating an extraordinary milestone achieved at the Olympic Games. Members of the Leander Club, which claims to be the most successful sporting institution in the world, had won 99 Olympic medals for Britain dating back to 1908 before the start of London 2012.  Well, they’ve just topped the 100 mark.  Five members of the Henley-based club were part of the British men’s eight that captured bronze in Wednesday’s thrilling final at Dorney Lake. That result sparked a mass clinking of glasses as the Leander officials who failed to land tickets for the race packed into the dining room and bar area at the club to watch it on giant TV screens.  “Obviously it’s a significant milestone, but it’s part of our long-term plans to carry on being the main feeder club of new talent into the GB international system,” says Leander official Robert Treharne Jones. Heck, many countries haven’t won 104 Olympic medals. That’s not the end of the matter. There are still 14 Leander rowers involved in finals at Dorney Lake over the next three days .
—Steve Douglas
http://twitter.com/sdouglas80

She’s a spectator now
Five-time Olympian Natalie Cook was eliminated from the beach volleyball tournament, but expect to see the Australian around Horse Guards Parade for the duration of the games.
Cook has said she will retire from international play after London, but she said she wants to watch the beach volleyball competition through its completion.
Cook expressed her respect for two-time defending gold medalists Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings, and said she considers them the favorites. The Americans lost their first set in three Olympics on Wednesday night.
—Jenna Fryer
http://twitter.com/jennafryer

Farewell badminton
A Chinese badminton star says she is calling it quits after being disqualified from the doubles tournament at the London Olympics for trying to lose. A comment on a verified account for Yu Yang on the Tencent microblogging service late Wednesday read: “This is my last game. Farewell Badminton World Federation. Farewell my dear badminton.”
Yu and Wang Xiaoli were one of four doubles teams which appeared to play poorly on purpose to secure a more favorable position in the next phase of the event.
— Scott McDonald
http://twitter.com/BeijingScotty

Two-for-one show
US gymnast Danell Leyva’s high bar routine is better than any circus act—a two-for-one show, actually. While Leyva dazzled the crowd with three release moves, his stepfather and coach, Yin Alvarez, was doing the routine right along with him down on the floor. Fans laughed as Alvarez dipped, swayed and gave little kicks of his feet, and he couldn’t contain himself when Leyva hit the mat with an emphatic THUMP! He jumped up and down and then grabbed Leyva in a bearhug, planting a kiss on the top of his head. When Leyva’s score flashed, guaranteeing he would win a medal, father and son celebrated again. Leyva won the bronze in the all-around competition.
—Nancy Armour
http://twitter.com/nrarmour

Olympic tax break
US Sen Marco Rubio wants to give America’s Olympic champions a tax break on their winnings. Americans who win gold, silver or bronze at the Olympics get a cash award from the US Olympic Committee of tens of thousands of dollars. The Republican lawmaker introduced a bill Wednesday that would exempt medal winners from paying taxes on the honorariums, calling the penalty ridiculous. The USOC says a gold medalist gets $25,000, a silver medalist $15,000 and a bronze winner $10,000. What about NBA stars on the basketball team like the Miami Heat’s LeBron James? Rubio’s office says that the Olympics are unique, with US athletes volunteering to represent the country, and that success should be celebrated, not taxed.

EDITOR’S NOTE — Eyes on London shows you the Olympics through the eyes of Associated Press journalists across the 2012 Olympic city and around the world. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:35:23 AM by Socapro »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2012, 03:40:30 AM »
Jessica Ennis does look fine dread. Fit body
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Campbell-Brown says difficult to defend crown
« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2012, 03:42:32 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-02/campbell-brown-says-difficult-defend-crown

Campbell-Brown says difficult to defend crown

LONDON
— Reigning Olympic 200 metres queen Veronica Campbell-Brown conceded yesterday it will be difficult to successfully defend her crown at the London Olympics. The 30-year-old has not been enjoying the best of seasons, suffering a string of defeats this year which have hinted at chinks in her armour. She told journalists here that she had worked hard on her preparation for the Olympics, however, and would be giving the title defence her best shot. “I put in all the work and I know it will be absolutely difficult for me to claim victory here in the 200m but anything can happen,” she said. “I prepared well and so I just have to keep my mental focus right and make sure that I get my race together.

“It will come down to execution and mental focus and I will go out there and I will give it my all and we will see what happens.” Campbell-Brown has run a season-best 10.82 seconds in the 100 metres for second behind Olympic champion and fellow Jamaican Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (10.70) at the Jamaica trials. She was again beaten in the 200m at the trials, running 22.42 behind Fraser-Pryce and Sherone Simpson. But the most notable of her defeats came in Lucerne on July 17, when she ran 22.70 for second behind American Charonda Williams (22.52). Campbell-Brown, who will run both 100m and 200m races at the Olympics, agreed it had not been her best year but said she was remaining optimistic.

“I will not dwell on those (bad races) and look on those as something negative…I learned from those races and I am going into my competition here very confident,” she said. “I am going to go out there and give it my best and only God knows what the result will be.  “I have trained hard this season and not because I had a few races that did not went too well, I am not going to let that deter my confidence or allow it to let me feel weak or anything.” Campbell-Brown won back-to-back 200m titles in Athens and Beijing, on both occasions beating American Allyson Felix, a three-time World champion over the distance. However, she won her first 200m World title last year in Deagu. (CMC)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Athletics: All set to run
« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2012, 03:44:21 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-02/all-set-run

From the Olympic Village in London
All set to run
Rachael Thompson-King

“I was born ready.” These were the words of T&T hurdler Jehue Gordon ahead of the start of today’s track and field at the Olympic Games, here in London, England. The 20-year-old oozed confidence yesterday, not intimidated by the thought of facing some 53 other hurdlers who will be battling for a spot in the semifinals of the men’s 400 metres hurdles. Gordon, along with triple-jumper Ayanna Alexander, and sprinters Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Michelle Lee Ahye, Semoy Hackett and Kai Selvon will be in action today at the Olympic Stadium. Alexander will be first in action in group B of the women’s triple-jump starting at 10.25 am (5.25 am). She will have to be at her best to be among the top 12 from some 35 jumpers who will be looking for a place in the final round on Sunday.

Some 50 minutes later, Gordon, who has a personal best time of 48.26 seconds, will line-up, looking to get into the semi,final round on Sunday at 7 pm (2 pm T&T time). He will run in heat five. Gordon had only good things to say about his experience so far at his first Olympic Games. “Everybody here is supporting each other 100 per cent. We are feeling as one; feeling as a team. Everybody is here just to give their best,” said Gordon. Gordon feels that he and his teammates are sometimes underestimated and that will be a plus in their efforts to get precious metal for T&T. “Nobody really takes T&T seriously. That is what is giving us the edge right now. They are expecting the US and Great Britain, the more powerful countries, to dominate but we are not going down without a fight,” declared Gordon. In the evening session, the quickest women of T&T will be on show when they meet the rest of the world in the 100m heats, starting at 7.05 pm (2.05 pm). National champion, Baptiste will lead the quartet aiming for nothing less than semifinal spots which are scheduled for 7.35 pm (2.35 pm) tomorrow. This is Hackett’s second Olympic Games and she’s banking on reaching further than the last edition.

“The first time I competed at Olympics, I was 17-years-old, and now I am 23. I am more matured and understanding of the sport. I think I will do much better than I did a few years go,” stated Hackett. Manager of the track and field team Dexter Voisin is comfortable with his athletes and says they are ready. “We’re ready to go. We have been here about three weeks. We started off with a two-week camp in Wales. That camp was very successful,” said Voisin. He said the athletes bonded and fine-tuned. “We were able to practice baton passing—something that was never done before because most of the athletes concentrated on their individual events. So it was useful.”  Over in Weymouth and Portland, sailor Andrew Lewis will feel revived after his day off yesterday and ready to battle the wind and water in races seven and eight in the men’s laser event. Lewis is currently in 42nd place and will be aiming to complete a perfect race to move up the standing, to get on course to make it to the medal round on Monday.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Today's London 2012 Olympics Athletics competition schedule
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2012, 03:48:16 AM »
http://www.london2012.com/athletics/

Today's London 2012 Olympics Athletics competition schedule

Red => T&T athlete(s) involved in event

Date / time   Sport   Venue
3 August 10:00 - 13:45   Athletics   Olympic Park - Olympic Stadium
Men's 400m Hurdles: round 1
Men's 3000m Steeplechase: round 1
Men's Hammer: qualifying
Men's Shot Put: qualifying
Women's 100m: classification heats
Women's 400m: round 1
Women's Triple Jump: qualifying
Women's Heptathlon: 100m hurdles, high jump

3 August 19:00 - 21:55    Athletics   Olympic Park - Olympic Stadium
Men's 1500m: round 1
Men's Long Jump: qualifying
Men's Shot Put: final
Women's 100m: round 1
Women's 10,000m: final
Women's Discus: qualifying
Women's Heptathlon: shot put, 200m
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:18:00 AM by Socapro »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2012, 05:38:29 AM »
Socapro, I sent a hug and a kiss for you.  Check Weary..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2012, 06:50:37 AM »
Didn't see the run, but not the fastest time...anyone can give commentary how Jehue looked?

Heat 4                Official
1 2743  CULSON Javier 48.33  Q  +   Reaction Time0.212
2 3212  CLEMENT Kerron 48.48  Q SB  +   Reaction Time0.175
3 1465  CISNEROS Omar 48.63  Q SB  +   Reaction Time0.206
4 1065  THOMAS Tristan 49.13  q SB  +   Reaction Time0.152
5 1843  WILLIAMS Rhys 49.17  q SB  +   Reaction Time0.217
6 1135  BULTHEEL Michael 49.18  q PB  +   Reaction Time0.147
7 2826  SAKAEV Viacheslav 50.36    +   Reaction Time0.181
8 2714  PAULA Jorge 51.40    +   Reaction Time0.160
9 1444  DAROUECHE Maoulida 53.49    +   Reaction Time0.213

Heat 5          Official
Rk Bib Athlete Mark Qualification Mark + 
1 3255  TAYLOR Angelo 49.29  Q +   Reaction Time0.187
2 3043  GORDON Jehue 49.37  Q +   Reaction Time0.161
3 3140  MELNYKOV Stanislav 50.13  Q +   Reaction Time0.196
4 1921  SCHIRRMEISTER Silvio 50.21   +   Reaction Time0.226
5 1981  IAKOVAKIS Periklis 50.27   +   Reaction Time0.248
6 2791  VAN ZYL L J 50.31   +   Reaction Time0.173
7 1522  PROROK Josef 50.33   +  Reaction Time0.184
8 2270  LEPTIKOV Viktor 51.67 
whey boy!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2012, 07:04:13 AM »
Not as comfortable as the others. Sanchez and Culsen whatever he name is look dangerous
Youtube Channel

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2012, 07:24:14 AM »
Not as comfortable as the others. Sanchez and Culsen whatever he name is look dangerous

I hope iz just early nerves....
whey boy!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
Socapro, I sent a hug and a kiss for you.  Check Weary..... ;D
Ok, thank you!  :-*
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:21:39 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>