April 28, 2024, 09:30:21 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!  (Read 104801 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Bovell splashes for second Olympic medal
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,163875.html

Bovell splashes for second Olympic medal
By STEPHON NICHOLAS Thursday, July 26 2012

FORMER Olympic bronze medallist, George Bovell III, will be going for what is likely his last shot at Olympic gold when the London Games get underway on Friday.

At 29 years old, Bovell is registered to compete in three events including the 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle and 100m backstroke.

The 50m freestyle is expected to be his best shot at a medal as it was in 2008.

In an interview earlier this year, the former Auburn University swimmer revealed that he was placing emphasis on improving his technique for the 50m freestyle.

“I’m really training hard for the 50m free. It’s my event and I love to compete in it. Even though the programmes focus a lot on the physical aspect of training, the 50m obviously has a lot to do with speed. This is a great part of the 50m technique I must perfect in order to medal at the London Games,” he explained.

Bovell’s presence at the Olympics was not written in stone 11 months ago as he was involved in a vehicular accident on August 19 which kept him sidelined for several months.

The swimmer crashed his BMW car into a truck on his way to Mayaro and was diagnosed with a concussion. He was forced to curtail training as any physical activity could have triggered a stroke.

But TT’s first Olympian to win a swim medal has now completely recovered and is ready to splash against the best in the world.

Bovell has been in good form of late, grabbing two gold medals at the Canada Cup two weeks ago. The three-time Olympian created waves at the Montreal Olympic Park 50m pool, touching the wall first in the 50m freestyle and 50m backstroke while earning bronze in the 100m freestyle.

At the Longhorn Aquatics Elite Invitational Meet in Texas last month in the 50m freestyle, the TT athlete touched the wall in a time of 22.11 seconds to earn gold and continue his excellent build-up towards the Games. He took the bronze in the 100m freestyle (49.84) and 100m backstroke (56.06).

In April, the former TT Sportsman of the Year earned silver in the 50m free at the Indianapolis Grand Prix in 21.89 while taking the 100m freestyle ‘C’ final in a time of 49.94.

Bovell is currently being coached by Minister of Sport Anil Roberts who is already in England with the TT swimmer.

Earlier this year, the local athlete credited Roberts for a lot of the strides he has made.

“Training with Anil has made key advancements in my development. But sometimes training by yourself does become a bit stagnant and you tend to feel alone. Swimming and training with top world athletes at these camps make me want to push myself further. I can also see where some swimmers are currently at, and compare them to my present form.

These swimmers are also Olympic-bound athletes and the atmosphere proves to be very beneficial to me.

It’s a very healthy environment for me to be in. I always make the most of my time at these camps and the results are showing,” he declared.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Greek jumper sent home for Twitter comments
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Greek_jumper_sent_home_for_Twitter_comments-163807366.html

Greek jumper sent home for Twitter comments
Story Created: Jul 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM ECT

l ATHENS

Triple jumper Voula Papachristou was kicked off Greece's Olympic team yesterday for her comments on Twitter mocking African immigrants and expressing support for a far-right political party.

The Hellenic Olympic Committee said Papachristou is "placed outside the Olympic team for statements contrary to the values and ideas of the Olympic movement".

"It's the same as violating fair play," Isidoros Kouvelos, head of Greece's Olympic mission, told Greece's private Skai TV. "We are not here just to get medals, but to promote the Olympic ideals, to show our character."

He added that the Hellenic Olympic Committee did not contact Papachristou either before or after issuing the statement excluding her from the Games.

Papachristou is in Athens. The committee said she was to travel to London shortly before the track events.

After the comments and the ensuing uproar, the Hellenic Olympic Committee announced it had banned all Greek athletes from using social media to express any personal opinions not related to the Olympics and to the preparation for their competitions.

"What we did after this is was to ban all statements on social media (such as) Twitter and Facebook, that are not related to the Games. They can't express personal opinions on other, third subjects, but only about themselves, their athletic condition, if they're on form, or about the Games, until the Games are over," Hellenic Olympic Committee spokesman Tassos Papachristou told The Associated Press in London. The spokesman is no relation to the athlete.

The decision to pull the triple jumper from the Olympic team was irreversible, he said.

"She has been informed... that this is a decision that will not change," he said.

Papachristou's Twitter account (@papaxristoutj) contained several retweets and links to sites and YouTube videos promoting the views of Golden Dawn, a formerly marginal extreme right party that entered the Greek Parliament in two recent elections—in May and June—by polling almost seven per cent of the vote. She has since erased those links and retweets from her account.

But it was her attempt at a joke Sunday that got the most attention. Commenting on the widely reported appearance of Nile-virus-carrying mosquitoes in Athens, Papachristou wrote: "With so many Africans in Greece, the West Nile mosquitoes will be getting home food!!!" Her tweet prompted thousands of negative comments that snowballed yesterday.

Since anyone can access an unprotected Twitter account, Papachristou's YouTube links and retweets inevitably became known. Several of her now erased retweets were original tweets by Ilias Kasidiaris, the Golden Dawn spokesman and one of the party's 18 Parliament members, who became notorious a few weeks ago for hitting a woman Communist lawmaker in the face and throwing water at another female legislator during a TV talk-show. Papachristou tweeted to Kasidiaris on his name day, July 20, "Many happy years, be always strong and true!!!" That tweet has now been erased.

Papachristou's initial reaction to the negative comments, on Tuesday, was to tweet: "That's how I am. I laugh. I am not a CD to get stuck!!! And if I make mistakes, I don't press the replay! I press Play and move on!!!"

Her attitude changed completely yesterday and she posted six apologetic tweets in less than two hours. The last tweet, a long one in English, which also was posted on her Facebook account, reads: "I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account. I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone, or to encroach human rights.

"My dream is connected to the Olympic Games and I could not possibly participate if I did not respect their values. Therefore, I could never believe in discrimination between human beings and races. I would like to apologise to all my friends and fellow athletes, who I may have insulted or shamed, the national team, as well as the people and companies who support my athletic career. Finally, I would like to apologise to my coach and my family."

Before the publication of the last tweet, Democratic Left, one of the three parties in Greece's coalition government, published a statement assailing the "racist humour" and calling on the Hellenic Olympic Committee to expel Papachristou from the Olympics.

"Let her make any miserable 'jokes' on social media while watching the Games on TV. She definitely cannot represent Greece in London," the Democratic Left statement said.

Greece's track and field federation SEGAS applauded the decision to exclude Papachristou from the Olympics and announced she would face a disciplinary panel.

Papachristou, 23, also had her defenders. Her Bulgarian coach, Georgi Pomaski said that "she did something childish... I respect the decision, but it is a little harsh for a kid we are trying to educate," he said.

Her sports club, AEK, also waded in, saying the exclusion from the Olympics for "a mistake" was hypocritical. "We will fight any attempt to exclude our athlete... by all legal means," the club statement said.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gay nervous and eager for London showdown
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Gay_nervous_and_eager_for_London_showdown-163807386.html

Gay nervous and eager for London showdown

lBIRMINGHAM

Tyson Gay took his time loosening up his surgically repaired hip at the end of the track, rotating his body this way and that as he listened to music through headphones.

He did lunges, toe touches, some twists at the waist and deep knee bends. Finally, he skipped along in his lane before practice yesterday at Alexander Stadium.

Only after all of that did he even consider a light jog, let alone sprinting.

These days, it takes quite a bit of work to prepare his healing right hip. He's overly cautious, too, especially with the 100 metres in London just around the corner.

Once warmed up, Gay went through a rather light workout as he blazed 30 metres down the track before backing off the accelerator. He did this a few times before calling it a day.

Still, it was enough to see this: He's rounding into form and nearly ready to take on Usain Bolt & Co.

"Hip's good," Gay said. "I don't have any excuses. Whatever happens, happens."

He's equal parts nervous and eager as he awaits the showdown in the 100, where Bolt and Yohan Blake are the overwhelming favourites. Gay is almost an afterthought because of his balky hip, which required surgery last July.

Dismiss him. Write him off, even. That's all perfectly fine with him.

Just to be here, running at full speed, is an achievement to Gay.

Four months ago, he was training on grass because the track workouts irritated his hip.

Four weeks ago, he was putting his hip through an arduous test, running the rounds at US trials to finish second and earn a place on the team.

Now, he's good to go.

Enough to win a medal?

"Absolutely," coach Jon Drummond said. "But I don't want to put anything out there to jinx anyone. We have a great field in the 100, probably one of the fastest finals history has ever seen."

Gay is predicting it will take a time of 9.7 seconds to step on the podium. That's well off Bolt's world-record mark of 9.58, but still a very fast time.

After all, Gay's American record stands at 9.69, which he ran when he was healthy in 2009. To run close to that time on a hip that sidelined for most of last season—well, it may be asking a lot.

"I've tried to cram in a lot of workouts and a lot of weights in the least amount of time I could," Gay said. "This just came up on me real quick. It's the big show."

In yesterday's workout, Gay took frequent breaks to rest his hip. He would sprint with Trell Kimmons and then sit down. Sprint another and rest some more.

At times, Gay appeared to have a slight limp. Unintentional, he explained, and definitely not from pain.

"Everything is going pretty good," Gay said. "I feel good."

Laboring just to keep up with Gay proved something to Kimmons:

"Tyson's ready— ready to go for the gold," he said. "At Tyson's best, he can run with anyone who steps on the track."

Gay understands the obsession over his hip, but he's getting sick of talking about it.

Lately, the hip has fallen under scrutiny again, not because it's hurting —it's not—but because he's running so fast.

He recently won meets rather impressively in France and London.

"I have regular soreness, but if I say it bothers me, people don't believe I'm running good times," he said.

"So I'm saying it's all good now."

He's pampering the hip as much as he can, training in sun-splashed Monaco until his arrival in London on Tuesday.

In Birmingham, at least until recently, there was little sunshine and lots of rain.

Given his late start this season, Gay has no plans to curtail his workouts—unlike other sprinters. He will train heavily right up to his opening heat on Aug. 4.

That's if his body permits it.

He and Drummond don't stick to a rigid game plan.

"I base it all on how he feels, how his body feels, where his mind is at," Drummond said. "Every practice session is something created that day."

Drummond doesn't think Gay is that far off from being back in top form. Maybe a few more workouts and he'll be ready. The coach likes to compare Gay's progress to baking a cake—"and the cake is done."

"We're putting the icing on the cake now, some sprinkles," Drummond said. "Trying to dress it up nice and pretty for the big party."

Maybe even crash the party, where Bolt and Blake are the featured attractions. The Jamaican training partners are the two fastest sprinters in the world right now.

"They're all looking good," Gay said. "I'm excited to run against them."

For Gay, the injury has become more of a psychological barrier than anything, especially since he's only run in a few meets this season.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warm London welcome ...T&T chef de mission hoping for history
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Warm_London_welcome-163807476.html

Warm London welcome
T&T chef de mission hoping for history

By Kwame Laurence

My return to London was not what I expected.

Armed with the sweater that protected me from many months of cold weather while doing my MA in International Journalism at City University back in 2008-2009, I was quite surprised to get a warm London welcome on Tuesday.

Bathed in sunshine, temperature in the high 20s (Celsius)--this was not the London we tropical folk fear.

"Hottest day all year," was the assessment of the cabbie who drove me from Victoria train station to my hotel.

There was another warm day in London, yesterday, a fitting welcome for the 24 members of the Trinidad and Tobago team that checked in to the Olympic Village. Twenty-two track and field athletes and boxer Carlos Suarez made the trek from the T&T training camp in Cardiff, Wales, while hurdler Wayne Davis II travelled from the United States to London.

Swimmer George Bovell and shooter Roger Daniel had previously moved in to the Village. Cyclist Njisane Phillip, meanwhile, is expected to check in today, bringing the total of T&T athletes here in London, England for the 2012 Olympics to 27. T&T will be represented by a team of 30 at the Games.

T&T chef de mission, Annette Knott told the Express that double Olympic silver medallist Richard "Torpedo" Thompson attended the Cardiff camp but has not yet arrived at the Village.

Quartermiler Renny Quow was not in Wales. He remained at his training base in Florida, USA to fine-tune his preparations for the Games. Quow is expected to join his teammates at the Olympic Village next Monday.

And sailor Andrew Lewis was part of the T&T camp, in Wales, but has since taken up residence at the Weymouth and Portland Sailing Village—about three hours from London by train.

Knott said the Cardiff camp was a huge success.

"It takes three or four days to sleep normally after arriving. The team was in Wales for five or six days, so that's definitely an advantage.

"Also, it brought the team together. They were able to relax and enjoy each other's company. From some of the comments from coaches, especially in athletics, it was a real benefit. In terms of the support we tried to give the athletes, this is the best Olympic preparation we've had.

"There are very good facilities here at the Village," the chef de mission continued. "And our area is away from the main hub, which allows the athletes to stay focused on the job at hand."

Knott said the 2012 T&T team is capable of matching the country's largest ever Olympic medal haul—three, at the 1964 Games in Tokyo, Japan.

"We can equal that, and I'm hoping for better. At the 1948 London Games, we won our first medal (weightlifting silver from Rodney Wilkes). We're hoping 2012 is also historic.

"I expect finalists in both the men's and women's 100 metres events. And I expect us to medal in both sprint relays."

Thompson and national champion Keston Bledman will both bid for precious metal in the men's century. And in the women's 100m, Kelly-Ann Baptiste is among the favourites.

Knott is also anticipating solid performances in the swimming pool and on the cycling track.

"George in the 50 free. And Njisane has had such fantastic performances over the last few months, you never know what could happen.

"As one of the athletes said, everyone is there for a medal, so it's what you do on the day that counts."

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Talk about a surefire way for a video producer to lose ah wuk..

My lawd..

London 2012 Olympics: North Koreans furious as organisers blunder by displaying South Korean flag

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gay remains threat after surgery
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=334761

Gay remains threat after surgery
Posted on » Thursday, July 26, 2012

BIRMINGHAM: The surgically repaired hip that kept Tyson Gay off the track for nearly a year showed no signs of slowing the world's second fastest man at a closely watched pre-Olympic practice yesterday.

"(Coach Jon Drummond) said I am about two to three workouts away from being perfect," Gay told reporters.

There is no hip pain, he said, just the normal groin soreness that the American sprinter has experienced for years from the hard pounding his body takes on track.

"Surgery is good," he said. "Health is good. So whatever happens happens."

What the soon-to-be 30-year-old hopes happens is for him to climb on the podium for the first time at an Olympic Games and accept a 100 metres medal in London next month.

Despite his many accomplishments in a sport he dearly enjoys, the former double world sprint champion has never won an Olympic medal.

Injuries had the American at less than full strength in the 2008 Olympics and he bowed out in the semi-final round of what became the Usain Bolt speed show.

"I am feeling nervous because this is it," Gay said of the upcoming renewed rivalry with Bolt and new man on the block, world champion Yohan Blake. "It is the big show.

"Every race I run I am nervous, small or big, that is just me," he said. "(But) I know it is going to be big."

For Gay to medal in athletics' biggest race he knows his start must be good or better, so yesterday for much of his workout, he repeatedly rushed out of the starting block in short bursts to test his preparedness.

"I'm just trying to execute the first part of my race, which I have been lacking," he said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
London 2012: Christophe Lemaitre opts out of competing in the 100m
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2012, 12:53:57 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/26/london-2012-olympics-christophe-lemaitre

Christophe Lemaitre opts out of competing in the 100m
• Frenchman's coach confirms decision to concentrate on 200m
• Lemaitre won the 100m at last two European championships

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 26 July 2012 18.19 BST

Christophe Lemaitre, Europe's best hope of challenging the expected Jamaican and American domination of men's sprinting at London 2012, will not run in the 100m, his coach has confirmed.

The 22-year-old Frenchman will concentrate on the 200m, in which he is ranked fourth in the world this year, and the 4x100m relay. His coach, Pierre Carraz, told L'Equipe they had put a "definitive cross" against the 100m. He said: "In the results over 100m, Christophe is only ranked 10th among those who have entered. Over 200m, we can hope for a medal."

Carraz said they could reconsider the decision to miss the 100m if there were significant withdrawals before the event, which starts on 4 August.

Lemaitre won the 100m at the last two European championships. He took the bronze medal in the 200m at last year's world championships in Daegu and helped the French team claim silver in the sprint relay.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:55:48 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marc Burns chosen to carry the flag at today’s opening ceremony
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2012, 01:02:21 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,163943.html

Voisin delighted for Burns
Friday, July 27 2012

DEXTER VOISIN, manager of the Trinidad and Tobago track and field team at the London Olympics, is pleased that the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) chose sprinter Marc Burns to carry the flag at today’s opening ceremony.

“I think it’s an honour for him and also for track and field to carry the flag in the opening ceremony,” said Voisin yesterday, in an interview from London, England. “I think it is his fourth Olympics.

“He’s what you’ll call a veteran, an experienced athlete in these circumstances. The TTOC made the decision and I think it was a very good decision.”

Asked which athletes are not in the Village at the moment, he said, “we still have Renny Quow to come to the Games Village. “Richard Thompson went back to Norway to return on the 30th. He went back to final training with his coach.”

With regards to the atmosphere in London, Voisin noted, “we arrived in the Games Village (on Wednesday) (and) the whole atmosphere (yesterday) has been overwhelming.

“You have all the athletes now gathering,” he continued. “We went training (yesterday) afternoon and everybody is looking to rest now.”

Asked if there were any problems in the Village, Voisin replied, “everything’s smooth so far.”

The opening ceremony will take place today but Voisin commented, “we don’t start the competition until the third (of August) so there’s no hype in terms of the opening ceremony.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt...to carry Jamaica's flag at opening ceremony
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/___to_carry_Jamaica_s_flag_at_opening_ceremony-163969416.html

Bolt...to carry Jamaica's flag at opening ceremony
Story Created: Jul 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM ECT

Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt will carry Jamaica's flag at today's opening ceremony of the London Olympics, the Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA) said yesterday.

"I can tell you that our flag bearer will be the honourable, doctor Usain Bolt," JOA president Mike Fennell said at the start of a news conference for the Jamaica team.

Bolt became one of the biggest names in sport after winning gold medals in the 100 metres, 200m and 4x100m relay at the Beijing Olympics four years ago, all in world record times.

The 25-year-old's aura of invincibility has faded a little this year but his defence of the 100m title in particular is expected to be one of the highlights of the game.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:12:21 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Burns elated to carry T&T flag
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2012, 01:14:29 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Burns_elated_to_carry_T_T_flag-163969446.html

Burns elated to carry T&T flag
By Kwame Laurence in London
Story Created: Jul 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM ECT

"It's a great honour and privilege to carry out such a duty for Trinidad and Tobago."

Marc Burns was elated on hearing of his selection as T&T's flagbearer for today's Olympic Games opening ceremony, at the Olympic Stadium here in London, England.

The veteran sprinter captured his first Olympic medal at the 2008 Games, in Beijing, China, teaming up with Keston Bledman, Emmanuel Callender and Richard Thompson for silver in the men's 4x100 metres relay.

Burns is competing at his fourth Olympic Games. He made his debut as a 17-year-old, at the 2000 Games in Sydney, Australia, competing in the sprint relay. Four years later, in Athens, Greece, Burns was disqualified for a false start in the opening round of the 100m dash, but helped T&T cop seventh spot in the 4x100m final. And in Beijing, he earned relay silver and also reached the 100m final, finishing seventh in the championship race.

Burns is the Mr Consistent of T&T sprinting. He reached the century final at the 2005, 2007 and 2009 editions of the World Championships. The 29-year-old athlete also has three World Championship sprint relay silver medals—2001, 2005 and 2009.

"Having faith in God, focusing on what I can control, and having faith in my team—coach, physio, family and the close circle of people around me. That's the main thing for longevity.

"My biggest moment," he continued, "was the World Championships in 2001, given my age and it was my only major medal at the time."

Eighteen-year-old Burns teamed up with Ato Boldon, Jacey Harper and 16-year-old Darrel Brown for 4x100m bronze. The T&T quartet was later promoted to silver following the disqualification of the United States. US anchorman Tim Montgomery was banned for doping.

Burns was selected as the T&T reserve for the men's 100m here in London, after finishing fourth at the National Open Track and Field Championships. He is also a member of the 4x100m squad.

"My main focus was to come to the Games and make the athletes comfortable--enlighten them on what is expected. I'm more mature now and I see things through a whole different perspective. I understand fully what is expected at the Games. It's not just about competing, but showing a certain code of conduct for those who are following behind."

Burns recently clocked 10.00 seconds to finish third at the International Athletics Meeting, in Lucerne, Switzerland. Rondel Sorrillo was seventh in 10.23.

At the National Championships, Sorrillo copped third spot in the 100m, and was selected to compete in the event here in London, along with Bledman, winner of the national title in a personal best 9.86 seconds, and Thompson, the 2008 Olympic 100m silver medallist.

Sorrillo, the national champion in the 200m, was also chosen to compete in the half-lap event at the London Games.

Team officials have until next Wednesday to decide which three sprinters will fly the Red, White and Black in the 100m.

"I'm here to represent T&T, regardless," Burns told the Express. "So if I do not run the 100, all my energy and focus will be on the relay. The 10-flat came at the right time, going into the Games. Even if I don't run the 100, I'm capable of an exceptional second leg in the relay."

Burns is playing a key leadership role in the 4x100m.

"I'm enlightening the team on what's expected, and the frame of mind to go about doing that. It's not about the other teams and getting caught up in the hype--focus on what we need to do and going out and doing it.

"Anything could happen. We're not short-changing ourselves. Just like everybody else, we're going for the gold medal. If God sees it another way and another colour medal, we would be grateful."

Two days after his 10-flat run in Lucerne, Burns' running gear was stolen as he prepared to compete at the Folksam Grand Prix, in Sweden. Though he ran in a borrowed pair of spikes that did not fit, Burns still managed to win, the T&T track star clocking 10.50 seconds, into a 1.9 metres per second headwind.

The resilient Burns said a fifth Olympic appearance, at the 2016 Rio Games, is a possibility.

"I will only be 33 at the next Olympics, so once I'm healthy and all is well, that could be on my resume also. I'll take it one step at a time."

T&T chef de mission Annette Knott told the Express she will always remember a statement Burns made at the 2007 Pan American Games, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

"Marc said even if we had a three-man relay and he had to run two legs, he will run for Trinidad and Tobago.

"For his silver medal in 2008, his commitment as an athlete and his consistent representation, Marc will carry the flag. This is his fourth Olympics, and he is in fact the most senior athlete.

"He's always there, in so many finals. It's about sustainability and consistency. Marc is one of the more consistent athletes we've had, and not for one minute is he looking for the glory."

In a T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) press release, president Larry Romany paid tribute to Burns.

"I was chef de mission at the Sydney Olympics when the then 17-year-old Marc made his Olympic debut. Over the years it has been a privilege to work with Marc. He is a class act who has never failed to answer the call be it CAC, Pan Am, Commonwealth or Olympic Games."

Today's opening ceremony starts at four p.m. (T&T time). The outfits to be worn by Burns and the rest of the team during the parade of nations are the creations of T&T designers Richard Hope and Nivanya Abraham.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Burns to carry T&T flag
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-26/burns-carry-tt%E2%80%88flag

Burns to carry T&T flag
Published: Friday, July 27, 2012

Sprint relay silver medalist, Marc Burns, will have the honour of carrying the Trinidad and Tobago flag at the parade of nations at the opening ceremony of the 30th Olympiad in London, today.  Burns will be making his fourth appearance at an Olympic Games. He made his Olympic debut at the Sydney Olympics at the age of 17 years. The 29-year-old speedster has been one of T&T’s most consistent athletes in the history of local sport. Apart from his silver medal at the last Games, Burns was also a finalist in the 100 metres sprint. Burns made his national representative debut at age 15 at the Carifta Games, and has since represented T&T with distinction at junior, collegiate and senior levels, winning medals at National, Regional, Continental, World and Olympic Games. He has three world championship sprint relay silver medals and a Commonwealth Games individual sprint medal, in addition to two world junior individual sprint medals (silver and bronze).

A three-time world outdoor championship sprint finalist, he was also a finalist in the 2012 world indoor championship 60 metres sprint. Every four years, the identity of the flag bearer for the Olympic Games team is a closely guarded secret. T&T’s chef de mission, Annette Knott, who had the responsibility and honour of selecting the flag bearer, described Burns as someone who embodied the Olympic spirit, values and ideals. She said:  “Marc is a quiet and dignified gentleman who always gives his best. His consistency, dedication, integrity and selfless patriotism have been exemplary. He has earned the honour of leading T&T during parade of nations.”  TTOC president Larry Romany endorsed Knott’s views. “I was chef de mission at the Sydney Olympics when the then 17-year-old Marc made his Olympic debut. Over the years it has been a privilege to work with Marc. He is a class act who has never failed to answer the call, be it CAC, Pan Am, Commonwealth or Olympic Games.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T at the Olympics: Can ‘Torpedo’ turn screws on Bolt?
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2012, 01:27:03 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-26/can-%E2%80%98torpedo%E2%80%99-turn-screws-bolt

T&T at the Olympics
Can ‘Torpedo’ turn screws on Bolt?

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson started his sprinting career at Louisiana State University (LSU) while on a scholarship. As a member of the LSU Tigers track and field team, he lowered the NCAA Indoor record in the 60 metres in 2008. In his first World Championships in Athletics, in Osaka in 2007, Thompson failed to make it past the quarterfinals, placing eighth in 10.44 seconds. The following year, Thompson achieved his best moment up to then by taking both the 60m indoor and outdoor sprints at the NCAA Championships. He expanded his portfolio to include the 200m that year and ran his personal best (pb) for the 200m of 20.18s. His 60m pb is 6.51s achieved in Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA. At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, “Torpedo” sped to a pb time of 9.89 s in the men’s 100m, to finish second behind World record holder, Usain Bolt, who set the Olympic record of 9.69. His new pb time made him the second fastest T&T 100m sprinter ever, after four-time Olympic medallist Ato Boldon. Thompson grabbed his second silver medal in Beijing when   teaming up with Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callender for the men’s 4x100m relay final. The local team finished in 38.06 behind Jamaica (37.10). With the substitution of sprinter Aaron Armstrong for Callender, that team also grabbed gold at the 2008  Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Championships in a time of 38.54.

In 2009, Thompson was involved in a car accident on New Year’s Day, resulting in minor injuries which caused him to miss the indoor season. Defying the odds, he competed at the 12th IAAF World Track and Field Championships in Berlin, Germany, later in August. He reached the 100m final, finishing fifth, with a season’s best of 9.93 seconds. Thompson then joined forces with Darrel Brown, Burns and Callender in the final to finish second behind  Jamaica in 37.62s to set the national record. In 2010 Thompson was crowned double champion at the NAAA/Sagicor National Track and Field Championships, taking the 100m (10.01) and 200m (20.37). His 2010 season was further highlighted at the IAAF Diamond League circuit, when he won the 100m at the Prefontaine Classic with a wind-assisted time of 9.89s. In 2011, Thompson broke into T&T’s history books when he ran 9.85s in the 100m final at the National Championships, erasing the previous 9.86 record set by Ato Boldon. The achievement ranked Richard as the ninth fastest on the all-time list. Thompson has struggled this year. His three-year reign as national 100m champ was halted by Keston Bledman who blazed to the finish line in 9.86. Thompson had to settle for second with a time 9.96s—his first and only 100m sub-ten clocking for the year.

Thompson will be looking to prove that he still has what it takes to mount the podium in the men’s 100m at the London Games.

More Info
NAME: RICHARD THOMPSON
DOB: June 7, 1985 (Age 27)
Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
Weight: 176 lbs (80 kg)
Affiliations: Louisiana State University, USA / HSI, USA
Olympic event(s): 100m, 200m, 4x100m relay
Major Achievements: Olympic Silver Medals (100 and 4 x 100 metres Olympics 2008)
Performance dates in London 
100 metres August 4
200 metres August 7-9

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T at the Olympics: Bovell splashes off Sunday
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-26/bovell-splashes-sunday

T&T at the Olympics
Bovell splashes off Sunday

Shernice Thomas

George Bovell III is the most successful swimmer to come out of T&T. Some highlights of his illustrious career include winning bronze in the men’s 200m Individual Medley (IM), capturing five Pan American Medals (2 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze), and five individual NCAA titles. Bovell is currently the fourth fastest man in history of the 50m freestyle. Coming from a family with a history of involvement in sport, it was only natural that Bovell followed suit. His mother, Barbara, was an Olympic runner and a Canadian champion. His father was a successful Collegiate swimmer and T&T Sportsman of the Year. Hiss brother, Nicholas, is also an Olympic swimmer.

From the age of seven, he started competitive swimming. Nine years later, he stepped onto the international stage, competing at the US Open and Pan American Games. In 2000 Bovell enrolled at Auburn University, where he won five individual NCAA titles, eight SEC titles, 25 All American Honours (the most in Auburn history) and was part of the first class in the history of NCAA sports to finish their eligibility undefeated. In the fall of 2004, he suffered a  knee injury that would prevent him from swimming breastroke and competing in the individual medley. This forced him to focus on his second best events—the 100 and 200 freestyles.

In 2006, he trained under Mike Bottom at Cal Berkeley where he learned proper sprinting technique. He followed Bottom to the Raceclub in the Florida Keys in 2007 to train for the 2008 Olympics. In Beijing, he broke the Olympic record in the heats, but was not able to secure a spot in the finals, finishing 11th in the 50 freestyle.  In 2009, Bovell broke the World Championships record and became the fourth fastest man in history in the 50m freestyle. He reunited with the coach who took him to his bronze medal in Athens, Sport Minister Anil Roberts in 2010 and had stellar performances at the World Championships in Dubai, finishing fourth in the 100m IM and 10th in 50m free.  In 2011, Bovell placed seventh in the finals of the World Swimming Championships, proving that he is a medal contender for 2012.

More Info

Name: GEORGE BOVEL III
DOB: July 18, 1983 (Age 29)
College team Auburn Tigers
Height: 6’ 5”
Weight: 205 lbs
Affiliations: Auburn Tigers (Auburn University, US)
Olympic event(s): 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 100m backstroke
Major Achievements: Olympic Bronze Medal (200 IM Olympics 2004)
Performance dates in London
100 metres backstroke  Sunday - Tuesday
100 freestyle Tuesday - Wednesday
50 metres freestyle Thursday - Friday

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T’s Roger Daniel on target for London
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2012, 01:44:24 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-26/tt%E2%80%99s-roger-daniel-target-london

T&T’s Roger Daniel on target for London
Published: Thursday, July 26, 2012
Shernice Thomas

T&T ace shooter Roger Daniel shot his way to first place in three individual events at the COPA del Caribe shooting championships held at the Albergue Olímpico training centre in Puerto Rico from July 12-18. Daniel was among T&T’s six-member contingent who went up against approximately 100 of the region’s best shooters from Barbados, Martinique, Aruba, El Salvador, Guatemala, US Virgin Islands and the host nation. Daniel, a two-time First Citizens Sportsman of the Year, was totally unsurpassed in the men’s individual pistol events. He snatched the 25m standard title ahead of compatriot, Rhodney Allen, who secured third place. Daniel also took the 10m air title and went onto retain his title as the 25m centre fire defending champion. Allen brought home T&T’s fifth individual medal when he successfully defended his men’s 50m free pistol title.

Daniel’s winning performances at the championships will serve as a confidence boost as he proudly represents the country in the sport at his third Olympic outing at the London Games which gets under way tomorrow (Fri 27). Curtis Blunt and Marlon Moses were T&T’s rifle shooters, with Moses finishing eighth and Blunt also ranking. Lone women’s local competitor, Marsha Bullen-Jones, put out her best shots in the women’s 10m air and 25m sports pistols events. She managed to finish among the top ten, ending in eighth place in both events. Daniel and Allen then combined forces with Clement Marshall to secure T&T two medals in the team pistol division. Together the trio took silver ahead of Martinique in the men’s standard pistol. First place was taken by Puerto Rico. The host team also took gold in front of Barbados and T&T which placed second and third respectively in the centre fire pistol.

Allen, who also served as the team’s manager, yesterday told the T&T Guardian that the championships was a good experience for the national players. When asked about sponsorship, Allen divulged that the players had to use their money to pay for their trip. Allen said team members had to put out a total of approximately $16,000TTD (inclusive of airfare, accommodation and match fees). Allen said that a plea for financial assistance was made to officials of the Trinidad Rifle Association (TRA) who said that they would contact the Ministry of Sport for possible refunding. He is also pleading to corporate T&T to hop on board as sponsors for the sport to prevent this from happening in the future. The team is still thankful to the TRA, T&T Chief of Defence Force, Brigadier Kenrick Maharaj, and Major Kak Sebastian for their help and interest in the team.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guardian’s Thompson-King off to Olympics today
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2012, 01:50:22 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-26/guardian%E2%80%99s-thompson-king-olympics-today

Guardian’s Thompson-King off to Olympics today
Published: Thursday, July 26, 2012

Senior Sports journalist Rachael Thompson-King leaves today for London to cover the 2012 Olympic Games which opens tomorrow and runs until August 13. She will be on hand to witness T&T’s top athletes in action as they go in search of precious medals at the world’s biggest sporting event. The T&T contingent left the pre-Olympic camp in Wales today (Wednesday) for the Olympic Village in London. She will make her way to the EXCel Centre to see Carlos Suarez make his debut in the light flyweight catergory as well as Njisane Phillip at the Velodrome, competing in the sprint and keirin events. Shooter Roger Daniel will go to work at the Royal Artillery Barracks while George Bovell III will seek his second Olympic medal at the Aquatics Centre.

The Olympic Stadium will be the venue where the national track and field athletes will converge against the best in the world. Keston Bledman, Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Renny Quow are among the top T&T prospects for success at the Games. Bledman has been impressive leading up to the event, winning his first senior national sprint title in style, blazing to victory to a career best 9.86 seconds. This was in the NAAA Sagicor/NGC National Open Track and Field Championship men’s 100 metres final at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, last month. Bledman, Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson and Marc Burns and Rondell Sorillo form the sprint team and wiull challenge the likes of top contenders record-holder Usain Bolt and John Blake, both of Jamaica and United States sprinters Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay. The local group will be joined by Emmanuel Callendar and youngsters Deon Lenore and Jamol James on the 4x100m squad. Thompson did not achieve all of what he had hoped for last season, but had some measure of satisfaction running an impressive 9.96 seconds to cop silver behind Bledman in the final. Sorrillo mean clocked a new personal record (PR), 10.03, to claim bronze

Sorrillo got off to a fast start this season as in his 200m season debut at the Guadeloupe Invitational on May 1. He finished in second place in 20.42 seconds behind winner Churandy Martina (Netherland Antilles/ 20.40). On May 9 at the Cayman Invitational, Sorrillo again finished in second place in the 200m in 20.57 second behind winner Warren Weir (Jamaica/ 20.13). Baptiste also has great chance of becoming the first woman to win an Olympic medal. Baptiste has been excelling over the past seasons, running  consistently ran under 11 seconds in the 100. In Daegu, South Korea at the 2011 World Championships, impressed by claiming bronze in the women’s 100m dash. Baptiste is the reigning national women’s 100m champion and will definitely be one of T&T’s best option for a medal but she will have tough competition in USA’s Carmelita Jeter and Allyson Felix and Jamaicans Veronica Campbell-Brown and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.

T&T TEAM

Athletics

Richard Thompson (100m; 4x100m), Keston Bledman (100m; 4x100m), Rondell Sorillo (100m; 200m; 4x100m), Mark Burns (100m; 4x100m), Renny Quow (400m; 4x400m), Deon Lendore (400m; 4x100m), Wayne Davis II (110m hurdles), Jehue Gordon (400m hurdles), Lalonde Gordon (4x400m), Emmanuel Callendar (4x100m), Machel Cedenio (4x400m), Ade Alleyne-Forte (4x400m), Semoy Hackett (100m; 200m; 4x100m), Kai Selvon (100m; 200m; 4x100m), Michelle-Lee Ahye (100m; 4x100m), Kelly-Ann Baptiste (100m; 4x100m), Janeil Bellille (400m hurdles), Ayanna Alexander (triple jump), Cleopatra Borel-Brown (shot put), Reyare Thomas (4x100m), Sparkle Mc Knight (4x100m); Dexter Voisin (manager), Dr Ian Hypolite (head coach), Edwin Skinner (sprint/hurdles coach), Gunness Persad (sprint/hurdles coach), Ismael Lopez Mastrapa (throws coach)

Boxing
Carlos Suarez (Light Flyweight 46-49kg); Reynold Cox (manager/coach), Raulson Dopwell (coach)

Cycling
Njisane Phillip (sprint, keirin); Peter Maharaj (manager/coach)

Sailing
Andrew Lewis (laser); Kairon Serrette (manager), Fernando Alegre (coach)

Shooting
Roger Daniel (50m pistol, 10m air pistol); Altansetseg Byambajav (manager/coach)

Swimming
George Bovell III (100m backstroke, 100m freestyle, 50m freestyle); George Bovell II (manager/coach)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:51:57 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Link to watch Opening Ceremony Live!!
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
Link to watch Opening Ceremony Live in High Definition:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/bbc_one_2012_hd
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:52:57 PM by Socapro »

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
Anyone have vid of TnT entering?

Stupid canadian television went to commercial break...i'm watching nbc from now on
whey boy!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »

Stupid canadian television went to commercial break...i'm watching nbc from now on
You can look back at the whole or any part of the Opening Ceremony on the BBC website from the link I provided above!  :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »

You can look back at the whole or any part of the Opening Ceremony on the BBC website from the link I provided above!  :beermug:

thanks bro, but I can't view in canada
whey boy!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »

Every foorkin 4 years is de same thing. :cursing:
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »

Every foorkin 4 years is de same thing. :cursing:

tell me about it...always skip T.  blasted go on break so we cud see Tuvalu....
now have to watch the NBC coverage which delayed
whey boy!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
Sit down for a whole 30 mins waiting for the Trinidad contingent...

I see Mark Burns holding the flag for 5 seconds, then the camera man pan to some lil girl with a pan playing in the grass, then next thing you know is the next country... Steeups   :frustrated:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
Sit down for a whole 30 mins waiting for the Trinidad contingent...

I see Mark Burns holding the flag for 5 seconds, then the camera man pan to some lil girl with a pan playing in the grass, then next thing you know is the next country... Steeups   :frustrated:

Me eh know nah, but to me like dat happens every olympics on several networks, isn't TV6 carrying coverage?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

thanks bro, but I can't view in canada
Try running the progam on this link called Hotspot Shield: http://www.hotspotshield.com/
Then try viewing from the BBC website again and it should work!  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
London rocks as 'Queen' parachutes into Olympics opening ceremony
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2012, 12:14:59 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/JOLLY_GOOD_SHOW-164106636.html

JOLLY GOOD SHOW
London rocks as 'Queen' parachutes into Olympics opening ceremony

Story Created: Jul 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM ECT

l LONDON

The Queen and James Bond gave the London Olympics a royal entrance like no other yesterday in an opening ceremony that rolled to the rock of the Beatles, the Stones and The Who.

And the creative genius of Danny Boyle spliced it all together.

Brilliant. Cheeky, too.

The highlight of the Oscar-winning director's US$42 million show was pure movie magic, using trickery to make it seem that Britain's beloved 86-year-old Queen Elizabeth II had parachuted into the stadium with the nation's most famous spy.

A short film showed 007 driving up to Buckingham Palace in a black London cab and, pursued by her majesty's royal dogs—Monty, Willow and Holly, playing themselves—meeting the Queen, who played herself.

"Good evening, Mr Bond," she said.

They were shown flying in a helicopter over London landmarks and a waving statue of Winston Churchill—the Queen in a salmon-coloured gown, Bond dashing as ever in a black tuxedo—to the stadium and then leaping out into the inky night.

At the same moment, real skydivers appeared in the skies over the stadium throbbing to the James Bond soundtrack. And moments after that, the monarch appeared in person, accompanied by her husband, Prince Philip.

Organisers said it was thought to be the first time the monarch has acted on film.

Much of the opening ceremony was an encyclopedic review of British music history, from a 1918 Broadway standard adopted by the West Ham soccer team to the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to "Bohemian Rhapsody", by still another Queen.

The evening started with fighter jets streaming red, white and blue smoke and roaring over the stadium, packed with a buzzing crowd of 60,000 people, at 8.12 p.m.

An explosion of fireworks against the London skyline and Paul McCartney leading a singalong were to wrap up the three-hour opening ceremony masterminded by one of Britain's most successful filmmakers.

Boyle, the director of Slumdog Millionaire and Trainspotting, had a ball with his favoured medium, mixing filmed passages with live action in the stadium to hypnotic effect, with 15,000 volunteers taking part in the show.

Actor Rowan Atkinson, as Mr Bean, provided laughs, shown dreaming that he was appearing in Chariots of Fire, the inspiring story of a Scotsman and an Englishman at the 1924 Paris Games.

There was a high-speed flyover of the Thames, the river that winds like a vein through London and was the gateway for the city's rise over the centuries as a great global hub of trade and industry.

Headlong rushes of movie images took spectators on wondrous, heart-racing voyages through everything British: a cricket match, the London Tube and the roaring, abundant seas that buffet and protect this island nation.

Boyle turned the stadium into a throbbing juke box, with a non-stop rock and pop homage to cool Britannia that ensured the show never caught its breath.

Opening the ceremony, children popped balloons with each number from 10 to 1, leading a countdown that climaxed with Bradley Wiggins, the newly crowned Tour de France champion.

The show then shifted to a portrayal of idyllic rural Britain—a place of meadows, farms, sport on village greens, picnics and Winnie-the-Pooh, AA Milne's bear who has delighted generations of British children tucked warmly in bed.

But the British ideal then took a darker, grittier turn. The set was literally torn asunder, the hedgerows and farm fences carried away, as Boyle shifted to the industrial transformation that revolutionised Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries, the foundation for an empire that reshaped world history. Belching chimneys rose where only moments earlier sheep had trod.

The parade of nations featured most of the roughly 10,500 athletes marching behind the flags of the 204 nations taking part. Greece had the lead, as the spiritual home of the Games, and Team Great Britain was last, as host.

Prince William and his wife, Kate, joined in the thunderous applause that greeted the British team.

The Olympic cauldron was to be lit with a flame that was kindled on May 10, at the birthplace of the ancient Olympics in Greece, from a reflection of the sun's rays off a mirror.

Since then, 8,000 torchbearers, mostly unheralded Britons, have carried the flame on a 70-day, 8,000-mile journey from toe to tip of the British Isles, whipping up enthusiasm for a US$14 billion Olympics.

Political leaders from around the world, US first lady Michelle Obama and her daughters, and a sprinkling of European and celebrity royalty also attended.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kaleidoscopic pageant sets London Games rolling
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2012, 12:18:22 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Kaleidoscopic_pageant__sets_London_Games_rolling-164106726.html

Kaleidoscopic pageant sets London Games rolling

l LONDON

The Queen declared the London Olympics open after playing a cameo role in a dizzying ceremony designed to highlight the grandeur and eccentricities of the nation that invented modern sport.

Children's voices intertwining from the four corners of her United Kingdom ushered in an exuberant historical pageant of meadows, steel mills and megapixels before an audience of 60,000 in the Olympic Stadium and a probable billion television viewers around the globe.

Many of them gasped at the sight of the 86-year-old queen, marking her Diamond Jubilee this year, putting aside royal reserve in a video where she stepped onto a helicopter with James Bond actor Daniel Craig to be carried aloft from Buckingham Palace.

A film clip showed doubles of her and Bond skydiving towards the stadium and, moments later, she made her entrance in person.

"Great Britain was the cradle of modern sport," International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge told reporters. "You invented modern sport in the second half of the 19th century."

To underline the point, Bradley Wiggins, crowned five days earlier as Britain's first winner of the Tour de France and hoping to add more road cycling gold in London, tolled the world's largest tuned bell to begin the ceremony.

David Beckham, the English football icon who helped to convince the IOC to grant London the Games, sped down the Thames in a speedboat bearing the Olympic flame on the penultimate leg of a torch relay that inspired many ordinary people around Britain.

And in one moment of simple drama, the stadium fell silent as five giant, incandescent Olympic rings, symbolically forged from British steel mills, were lifted slowly out of the stadium by weather balloons, destined for the stratosphere.

More than 10,000 athletes from 204 countries will compete in 26 sports over 17 days of competition in the only city to have staged the modern Games three times.

Most of them were there for the traditional alphabetical parade of the national teams, not least the athletes from Egypt, Tunisia, Libya and Yemen competing in their first Olympics since their peoples overthrew autocrats in Arab Spring revolutions.

Brunei and Qatar were led in by their countries' first ever female Olympians and so, along with Saudi Arabia, ended their status as the only countries to exclude women from their teams.

At a reception earlier in the day, the queen spelled out the role played by her family after the Olympics were revived in Athens in 1896.

"This will be the third London Olympiad. My great grandfather opened the 1908 Games at White City. My father opened the 1948 Games at Wembley Stadium. And, later this evening, I will take pleasure in declaring open the 2012 London Olympic Games at Stratford in the east of London," she said.

"Over recent months, many in these islands have watched with growing excitement the journey of the Olympic torch around the United Kingdom. As the torch has passed through villages and towns, it has drawn people together as families and communities.

"To me, this spirit of togetherness is a most important part of the Olympic ideal. And the British people can be proud of the part they have played in keeping the spirit alive."

The opening show, costing an estimated 27 million pounds (US$42 million), was inspired by William Shakespeare's play "The Tempest", his late-life meditation on age and mortality.

Children were centre-stage throughout, starting from the moment when live pictures of junior choirs singing in the landscapes of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were beamed into the stadium's giant screens, four traditional songs woven together into a musical tapestry of Britain.

Oscar-winning film director Danny Boyle began his sweep through British history by grassing over the arena in a depiction of the pastoral idyll mythologised by the romantic poet William Blake as "England's green and pleasant land".

Idyll turned swiftly to inferno as the Industrial Revolution's "dark Satanic mills" burst from the ground, before those same mills forged the last of five giant rings that interlocked and were carried aloft by balloons.

Many sequences turned the entire stadium into a vast video screen made up of tens of thousands of "pixels" attached to the seats. One giant message, unveiled by Tim Berners-Lee, British inventor of the world wide web, read "This is for Everyone".

The performance included surreal and often humorous references to British achievements, especially in social reform and the arts, and concluded with a performance by former Beatle Paul McCartney.

Until the last few days, media coverage had been dominated by security firm G4S's admission that it could not provide enough guards for Olympic venues. Thousands of extra soldiers had to be deployed at the last minute, despite the company's multi-million-dollar contract from the government.

Counter-terrorism chiefs have played down fears of a major attack on the Games, and Prime Minister David Cameron said that a safe and secure Olympics was his priority.

Suicide attacks on London on July 7, 2005, the day after London was awarded the Games, killed 52 people. This year the Games will mark the 40th anniversary of the 1972 Munich massacre, when 11 Israeli Olympic team members were killed by Palestinian militants.

"This is the biggest security operation in our peacetime history, bar none," Cameron said, "and we are leaving nothing to chance."

Although no medals will be awarded until today, the women's football tournament started on Wednesday, and on Friday South Korean archers set the first world records of the Games.

Im Dong-hyun, who suffers from severe myopia and just aims at "a blob of yellow colour", broke his own 72-arrow world record with a score of 699 out of a possible 720, leading his two colleagues to a record combined score as well.

The Games' first medals will be decided in the women's 10 metres air rifle final today, with the big action coming in the men's cycling road race, where world champion Mark Cavendish is favourite to become Britain's first gold medallist.

In the evening, Americans Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte are scheduled to line up for a classic confrontation in the men's 400 metres individual medley final.

Phelps, competing in seven events after winning a record eight gold medals four years ago in Beijing, is bidding to become the first swimmer to win gold in the same discipline three times in a row.

"This is going to be a special race," said Gregg Troy, head coach of the American men's team. "I can't imagine a better way to promote our sport than a race like this on the first day."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rock and royalty as Olympics open
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-07-28/rock-and-royalty-olympics-open

Rock and royalty as Olympics open
Published: Saturday, July 28, 2012

LONDON
—The queen and James Bond gave the London Olympics a royal entrance like no other Friday in an opening ceremony that rolled to the rock of the Beatles, the Stones and The Who. And the creative genius of Danny Boyle spliced it all together. Brilliant. Cheeky, too.  The highlight of the Oscar-winning director’s US $42 million show was pure movie magic, using trickery to make it seem that Britain’s beloved 86-year-old Queen Elizabeth II had parachuted into the stadium with the nation’s most famous spy.

A short film showed 007 driving up to Buckingham Palace in a black London cab and, pursued by her majesty’s royal dogs— Monty, Willow and Holly, playing themselves —meeting the queen, who played herself. “Good evening, Mr. Bond,” she said. They were shown flying in a helicopter over London landmarks and a waving statue of Winston Churchill—the queen in a salmon-coloured gown, Bond dashing as ever in a black tuxedo—to the stadium and then leaping out into the inky night.

At the same moment, real skydivers appeared in the skies over the stadium throbbing to the James Bond soundtrack. And moments after that, the monarch appeared in person, accompanied by her husband Prince Philip. Organisers said it was thought to be the first time the monarch has acted on film. “The queen made herself more accessible than ever before,” Boyle said. In the stadium, Elizabeth stood solemnly while a children’s choir serenaded her with “God Save the Queen,” and members of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force raised the Union Jack. 

Much of the opening ceremony was an encyclopedic review of British music history, from a 1918  Broadway standard adopted by the West Ham football team to the Rolling Stones’ “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” to “Bohemian Rhapsody,” by still another Queen. The evening started with fighter jets streaming red, white and blue smoke and roaring over the stadium, packed with a buzzing crowd of 60,000 people, at 8:12 p.m.—or 20:12 in the 24-hour time observed by Britons.

An explosion of fireworks against the London skyline and Paul McCartney leading a singalong were to wrap up the three-hour opening ceremony masterminded by one of Britain’s most successful filmmakers. Boyle, the director of “Slumdog Millionaire” and “Trainspotting,” had a ball with his favored medium, mixing filmed passages with live action in the stadium to hypnotic effect, with 15,000 volunteers taking part in the show.  Actor Rowan Atkinson as “Mr Bean” provided laughs, shown dreaming that he was appearing in “Chariots of Fire,” the inspiring story of a Scotsman and an Englishman at the 1924 Paris Games.

There was a high-speed flyover of the Thames, the river that winds like a vein through London and was the gateway for the city’s rise over the centuries as a great global hub of trade and industry.  Headlong rushes of movie images took spectators on wondrous, heart-racing voyages through everything British: a cricket match, the London Tube and the roaring, abundant seas that buffet and protect this island nation. Boyle turned the stadium into a throbbing juke box, with a nonstop rock and pop homage to cool Britannia that ensured the show never caught its breath.

The throbbing soundtrack included the Sex Pistols’ “Pretty Vacant” and a snippet of its version of “God Save the Queen”—an anti-establishment punk anthem once banned by the BBC. There were The Who’s “My Generation” and other tracks too numerous to mention, but not to dance to. Opening the ceremony, children popped balloons with each number from 10 to 1, leading a countdown that climaxed with Bradley Wiggins, the newly crowned Tour de France champion.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Divided opinion but joy anyway
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-28/divided-opinion-joy-anyway

OLYMPIC JOURNAL
Divided opinion but joy anyway
Andre E Baptiste

Even as the £27 million Opening Ceremony concluded on Friday night in London, there were still many with divided opinions on its legacy, given the tremendously difficult position announced by official economical status this week. The figures reveal that Britain’s economy has fallen into the worst double-dip recession for more than 50 years. The economy shrank by 0.7 per cent between April and June , the Office for National statistics stated. And of that it was revealed that UK sport spent over £100 million each year for four years since the Beijing Olympics in an effort to win more than the 47 medals they collected then, when they placed fourth on the medal table. Clearly there is a lesson there for all who say they support sport in T&T.

However most of the spectators that occupied the massive Olympic Park at Stratford appeared oblivious to the happenings away from the Olympic Village, as thousands of people made their way for the grand opening. The Shopping mall was closed five hours before the event to ensure that there would be adequate security and accessibility and given some of the leading names in the World attending, including Her Majesty, The Queen of England- Queen Elizabeth and First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama, who gave an encouraging talk to the USA team. It was a very colourful affair with lots of entangling intrigue on the lifestyle and traditions of the British ensconced in its portrayal. This Olympic pageantry has been termed by some as too working class with its concentration on the industrial revolution, but for many of the spectators who purchased their tickets online, it meant more to just be part of history and 65,000 people witnessed the excitement. Located in Olympic Park, The Orbit is 35 stories high and was designed by international sculptor Anish Kapoor. It is made of all steel and is the only vertical object in the Olympic Park. This is London’s moment and earlier in the day, bells rang for three minutes all over the city.

Marc Burns was a proud man and at 29, probably in his last Olympics, but his penchant for teamwork and team spirit more than anything sums up a man seeking some history. His goal, like many others wearing the red, white and black, will be to reach the final and then give his all. There is some irony in all of this because while everyone is already counting and claiming medals from USA, Jamaica and The United Kingdom, not much is being said of T&T’s chances in the athletics stage of the Games. So over the next few days, as the experienced pair of Roger Daniel (Shooting) and George Bovell (Swimming) do battle there will be a lot of expectations. Daniel will be in action on Saturday from 7am(T&T time) while Bovell will enter the 100m backstroke on Sunday from 6.53 am. As most people know, I love horse racing. So when I accidentally stumbled across a betting shop in St Pancras, I felt as if it was ordained that I visit to ensure what I saw on the outside of this location (a sign called Ladbrokes) was authentic. And yes it was true, but what captured my attention was not the extremely gorgeous teller nor the horses getting in line for a race at Newbury, but rather the small screen in front of me, that was showing only betting on Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake to win the 100m and 200m races.

In some cases you could actually bet the field against him, and the heats have not yet started. It was almost as if the bookmakers had already made this a two-horse race. Both of T&T runners were long shots; Keston Bledman at 66-1 and Richard Thompson (silver medallist from Beijing 2008) at 100-1. Of course everyone knows what I did… the rest is history.   For good measure, I inquired about Kelly Ann Baptiste and learned that she is at 16-1 to win the Women’s 100m, while Njisane Phillip is at 25-1 to win the Match Sprint and 50-1 to win the Keirin. So maybe this is good, as our athletes will have a chance to excel without much pressure on them from the international media as well as the majority of the public. Only time will tell if this will work, but there is a sense of pride and exuberance in this team that promises to surprise…fingers crossed…and many Sunday prayers as well. As for me, I am heading out, not in any particular direction, but should I find something, you can BET, you would be the first to know.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daniel bids for pistol honours
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2012, 12:52:18 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Daniel_bids_for_pistol__honours-164106826.html

Daniel bids for pistol honours
By Kwame Laurence In London

Roger Daniel opens his third bid for Olympic honours in the men's 10 metres air pistol event, at seven a.m. today (T&T time), at the Royal Artillery Barracks, here in London, England.

"I'm very pleased with my preparations," the Trinidad and Tobago shooter told the Express, yesterday.

Daniel is the first athlete on show for T&T at the London Games. He is an Olympic veteran, however, and seemed relaxed as he waited outside the Olympic Village for interviews with this reporter and TV6's Vinod Narwani.

"I'm trying not to put any expectations on myself. I'm doing what I have to do—concentrate on one thing at a time and just do it. You just prepare yourself mentally as best as you could, try to keep yourself good, and do what you have to do."

Daniel made his Olympic debut in 2004 in Athens, Greece, and was again on the T&T team at the 2008 Games, in Beijing, China.

"You can't really compare the three Olympic experiences. It's a new time, a new day, a different place. I'm trying not to get too hyped."

Today's 10m air pistol field includes South Korea's Jin Jong-oh, the world record holder with a score of 594, and China's reigning Olympic champion Pang Wei. Jong-oh picked up silver in Beijing, while bronze went to American Jason Turner. Turner will also be in action today.

In Athens, Daniel finished 27th in the 10m air pistol with a score of 574, and 33rd in the 50m pistol (545). Four years later, in Beijing, he earned 571 points to cop 36th spot.

To get to today's 10.30 a.m. (T&T time) final, the 2011 Pan American Games 10m air pistol silver medallist would need to approach his personal best score of 586.

The 30-member T&T squad here in London includes 25 track and field athletes.

Manager of the track and field team, Dexter Voisin, told the Express he expects T&T to improve on the Beijing haul of two medals—silver from Richard "Torpedo" Thompson in the men's 100m and silver in the men's 4x100m relay.

"There are some who came in with realistic chances, based on their performances leading up to the Games. Once everything goes well, we're supposed to see a better performance than in Beijing 2008. I anticipate we will be going back home with some medals."

Voisin said the pre-Games training camp in Cardiff, Wales was extremely useful.

"One of the better camps in recent years. Thanks to the Olympic Committee (TTOC) and their support staff, together with the NAAA (National Association of Athletics Administrations) staff. It was very successful. We were able to bond lots more than in the past. It's the first time in several years we scheduled relay practice and the athletes honoured it."

Marc Burns, who teamed up with Keston Bledman, Emmanuel Callender and Thompson for men's 4x100m silver in Beijing, was the T&T flagbearer at last night's opening ceremony, at the Olympic Stadium.

Voisin expects the men's and women's sprint relay teams to do well here in London.

"A lot of people are saying that's where the medals lie. Once we get the baton around, I cannot see any reason why we won't be successful in the 4x1 men and women."

The team manager said the Cardiff camp helped with team chemistry.

"It has improved a lot. In the fray now, we have (Rondel) Sorrillo. He earned his place on the team, and has made the adjustment very quickly."

Bledman, Thompson and Sorrillo are expected to face the starter in the men's 100m dash. Sorrillo will also compete in the 200m.

Voisin said Bledman's recent injury scare is not a cause for concern.

"To date, I haven't gotten any official word that Keston was injured. At the camp I saw him running as normal. He got a cramp in his hip while in the blocks at the Aviva London Grand Prix, but in a couple days time he was back in training."

In June, Bledman won the national 100m title with a personal best 9.86 seconds dash.

"Based on Keston's performances for the season, we have a medal prospect. But before a medal comes, you have to make the final. And Richard says he's much better. He's on the improve."

Kelly-Ann Baptiste is T&T's best medal prospect among the women.

"I've seen her in training," said Voisin. "She's still doing treatment for discomfort in her Achilles, but looks comfortable. Kelly-Ann is definitely a medal contender."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shooter Daniel starts T&T medal quest today
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2012, 12:59:06 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-28/london-brings-out-stars

London brings out the stars
Shooter Daniel starts T&T medal quest today

Rachael Thompson-King

Sprinter Marc Burns completed his role as T&T’s flag bearer with finesse during the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games yesterday. He led a proud bunch that was all dressed in red, white and black dresses and suits in front of a totally packed house at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford. The frigid did not seem to affect any of the athletes from the world as they jumped and swayed and waved their national flags with a sense of patriotism. Burns, 29, proudly lead the T&T of 53 member contingent which comprised 30 athletes and 23 officials. This is Burn’s fourth appearance at an Olympic Games. He made his Olympic debut at the Sydney Olympics at the age of 17 years. He’s described as one of T&T's most consistent athletes in the history of local sport. At the 2008 Beijing Olympics he was a 100m finalist.

He will compete in the Men’s 100 metres dash and the 4x100m relay event when track and field gets going next Friday. Spectators started to arrive as early as 3 pm for an event which started promptly at 9 pm. Entitled Isles of Wonder, the opening ceremony was devised by Oscar-winning film director Danny Boyle with the aim of celebrating all things British and charting the nation's history. It started with the ringing of a giant bell by cycling hero Bradley Wiggins, who last weekend became the first British cyclist to win the Tour de France. The stadium was then turned into a green and pleasant land with hills, a cottage and people enjoying a version of British life. Animals including horse, cows, goats, chickens, ducks, nine and sheeps appeared in these opening scenes. The peace was shattered as the age of industry sprouted from the ground with loud banging. Giant smoking chimneys rising up from the ground were showcased next. There was a tribute to those killed in war. A number of British royalties and stars, musically, culturally and otherwise also took part in the opening festivities, including the Queen in a skit with the most recent James Bond, actor Daniel Craig, the highlight of the production.

On the big screens which were positioned around the stadium, the image showed the Queen leaving Buckingham Palace with Bond aboard a helicopter, The chopper then flew to the Olympic Park, where Bond and the Queen jumped out, arriving outside the stadium just in time for her big entrance. The two parachutists were really Gary Connery (the Queen) and Mark Sutton (Bond). It was broadcast ahead of the Queen's dramatic entrance at the opening ceremony as she officially opened the Games. In another comedy film sketch Rowan Atkinson in his Mr Bean character created havoc as Sir Simon Rattle conducted the theme from Chariots of Fire. Among the other flag bearers were record-holder Usain Bolt for Jamaica, 200m specialist Kirani James for Grenada and NBA star Pau Gasol for Spain. The show closed off with the traditional lifting of the Olympic flag, fireworks and the lighting of the Olympic torch.

YESTERDAY’S RESULTS

ARCHERY (Ranking Round)
Men’s individual: 1st- DH Im (KOR) 699pts (WR), 2nd- B Kim (KOR) 698pts, 3rd- JH Oh (KOR) 690pts
Men’s team: 1st- KOR 2087pts (WR), FRA 2021pts, CHI 2091pts

SPOTLIGHT: (Dong Hyun Im) Legally blind South Korean archer DONG HYUN IM broke his own men’s individual (696) record set in May, with a score of 699 points. Im also combined with compatriots Bubmin Kim and Jin Hyek Oh to erase their 2069 record with a new 2,087-point record in the team event.

TODAY’S MAIN EVENTS

WOMEN’S FOOTBALL (First round)
New Zealand vs Brazil @9.30, Great Britain vs Cameroon @12.15pm

SWIMMING (Medal rounds)
Men's 100m Breaststroke Semifinal @8.30am, Women’s 4x100m Freestyle
Relay Final @8.40am

CYCLING
Men’s road race final @5pm

SHOOTING
Men's 10m Air Pistol @7pm- T&T’s

Roger Daniel
QUOTE OF THE DAY: (Dong Hyun Im) “This is just the first round, so I will not get too excited by it.” South Korean archer DONG HYUN IM downplays his men’s individual world record set yesterday in the men’s opening round.

1]; } ?>