April 19, 2024, 05:25:03 AM

Author Topic: Last train to San Fernando  (Read 4419 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Last train to San Fernando
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sdkz-rZs3s0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sdkz-rZs3s0</a>

Got this in my email box ,thought i should share this with you guys.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:28:38 PM by Tallman »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: last train to San Fernando
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »
Thank you very much.  :applause: :applause: :applause:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:43:20 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdkz-rZs3s0

Got this in my email box ,thought i should share this with you guys.

:beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
Very nice... although it was long gone by the time I came along I remember the stories well, in large part kept alive by the calypso, which I heard occasionally as a youth.  Always thought that was Sparrow, since I seem to remember him singing it as part of the "Jean and Dinah" medley along with "Drunk and Disorderly", "Melda (Obeah Wedding)".  Maybe I just imagining that though.

Boss vid still  :beermug:

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
Very nice... although it was long gone by the time I came along I remember the stories well, in large part kept alive by the calypso, which I heard occasionally as a youth.  Always thought that was Sparrow, since I seem to remember him singing it as part of the "Jean and Dinah" medley along with "Drunk and Disorderly", "Melda (Obeah Wedding)".  Maybe I just imagining that though.

Boss vid still  :beermug:

Yes... that was/is part of de medley  :beermug:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
I did travel on the train as a little boy. Mostly on the East West Corridor line. From POS to St.Joseph. St Joseph to Tunapuna. From Puna to Five Rivers. The best was the "excursion" to Mayaro. You would catch the train from St.Joseph to Flanigin Town. Then from FT to Rio Clario. And then catch a bus from Rio to Mayaro. That would take the whole day. Meh family had food and thing. Sweet nostalgia. It was real nice. Sad went it stopped. I have a train fetish. I used to take meh son at union station and watch a model train moving along the ceiling of a train store every weekend. We both used to enjoyed it.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
Thanks Zuluwarrior!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sdkz-rZs3s0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sdkz-rZs3s0</a>
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
We sang dat on d train after d draw v Sweden
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:58 PM »
Yes... that was/is part of de medley  :beermug:

Thanks fuh reassuring mih dat I eh going senile just yet.  Off-topic, but interesting... dunno how many ever hear Roger Bonair-Agard (QRC alumn), but the man is ah boss.  He did a re-examination of Obeah Wedding in one of his poems, but from Melda's perspective.  Real powerful stuff, I not ashamed tuh say that I was moved to tears.  Ah have de book and CD, but cyah find ah clip online.  That fella is ah boss.

-----------------------------------------

Deeks ah lot of men in your age range, particularly here in the states have the same sense of nostalgia towards trains  :beermug:

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »
Wow, that was great. Thanks for that!  :beermug:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:47:19 AM »
My dad would tell us stories about the train. They had a coffee and cocoa plantation in Tabaquite, close to Flanigin town as Deeks mentioned. He recalled taking the plantation's produce to the wholesale depot and market with his grand parents on the train. He had fond memories about the train and especially the tunnel (probably the longest in Trinidad and Tobago). For years he petitioned to have it restored for it's historical value but none would take him seriously. Today I think it's taken care off... next time I'm home and I go to visit our former coffee plantation I'll have to finally go see this tunnel.

Wonderful video.. thx for sharing.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »
train was way before my times, but i love to see these old vids about Trini esp the background music

:)
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:31 AM »
My grandfather used to repair the train carriages. He used to talk about the trains all the time and despised Dr. Williams for shutting them down.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
nice one. better days in trinidad yes.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
Classic T&T. Last train, historical moment, media present  ...and it still run half hour late
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
Like I said I literally enjoyed the last historical period of the TGR. When I lived with an uncle and his family, they moved from 'Puna to Five Rivers so me and my cousin had to take the train to 'Puna RC. The fare was 4 cents one way. You could by a weekly for 40 or 60 cents(can't remember exactly) or a monthly pass. The conductor use to punch the ticket at the station gate or in the train.

When I moved back to St. Joseph to my Moms, I used to take the train from the Wasa station to Picton Halt near the cemetry. The were some funny and hilarious incidents that used to take place and surprisingly(for me) little violent incident. But there were 3 things(incidents). that still stands out in my memory. One is train hopping. Guys used to hop on or off the train while it was in motion at some speed. I used to do it it. But I knew my limitations. Misjudging the speed of the train while trying to hop on or off could have caused embarassement(tripped an fall on the platform in front of everybody(girls)).

There was one incident where I and a friend decided to hop off the train at Picton. I hopped offf first. I was cool safe landing. But my friend hopped off after and misjudge speed when he landed on the gravel platform. He stumbled forward on the ground and began to roll towards the trai line. As he was rolling towards the line ,there was a big box(contained batteries for the carriage lights) below the carriarge, which hit him and push him away from the track. Guys for a split second a millions (really) ran before my eyes. The big man was not ready to call my buddy. I stopped hopping train....... For a week. I was back at it again, but at the last carriage.

The second was train storming. Riding the train without paying. Anyway, a stormer got cornered by a conductor by the steps in the last carriage. No way to run. No way to hide. Train just left St. Augustine station towards Curepe and picking up speed. Show me your ticket or Ah taking you to the St. Joseph police station. The dude take a look at the conductor, contemplated a little and jumped out the f--king train which was speeding by then. The dude went kayle-kay-tay in the bush. Then jump up and  ;D his teeth and punch his fist up in the air at the conductor. That was absolutely crazy.

Allyuh,bare with meh. Then the last one. Girls/Romance. man use to do serious tracking on the train. Girls for so. School girls. Office girls. I never saw anything explicit. Things were "conservative" by todays standards. But there was one girl who we( the lil boys) used to call "cat-eyes". Looked a bit like Tyra Bank. Use to go convent in 'puna. This sharp dressing dude used to religiously check she in the train to school. All the lil boys were jealous of this guy, because all the boys were in love and lust with she. I really wonder what became of them/he/she.

That is some of it guys. Ah don't want to bore allyuh.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:50:55 PM by Deeks »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:32:35 PM »
Good stories Deeks, enjoy de reminisces :beermug:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 04:40:14 AM »
Deeks,
I really enjoyed that story.......tell me something, the train line used to run along what is now the PBR??  And I heard the trains were stopped because of the safety risks (like the jumping on and off the trains you mentioned).  True?? 

I have always heard people in the know say that they should have never stopped the trains/railway system.....we coulda have a good system now kinda like NY perhaps??   *sigh*
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 06:26:01 AM »
Keep dem going deeks

wham to your friend, he get injured bad or wha?

...and just curious to know what 'sharply dressed' meant back then...a full bright suit? hat an tng?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
My grandfather used to repair the train carriages. He used to talk about the trains all the time and despised Dr. Williams for shutting them down.

My mother also use 2 say d Doc was a clown 4 shutting it down
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
Deeks,
I really enjoyed that story.......tell me something, the train line used to run along what is now the PBR??  And I heard the trains were stopped because of the safety risks (like the jumping on and off the trains you mentioned).  True?? 

I have always heard people in the know say that they should have never stopped the trains/railway system.....we coulda have a good system now kinda like NY perhaps??   *sigh*

Yes, the train used to run exactly on the PBR. The very busy level crossings used to have big iron gates. A man from the stations used to go and close and open the gates on the approaching trains. In some of the remote areas there were no gates and there were incidents where vehicle and trains kissed. To the detriment of the vehicles.

Hoppin  train was indeed dangerous and some hoppers got one of their legs cut off. That was one of the arguments they included against keeping the rail service. But that was very low on the totem pole. The issue about stopping the train is one of the "blemish" on Eric. TGR was always in the red. It took a chunk of the treasury. Plus there were many non-payers(stormers). Most people used to walk in by the side and wait for the train. A lot did not have tickets and would go out at the destination stop without paying(except POS). If the conductors asked them for tickets they would pay up. Some paid without no problem. Others grudgingly,  and few would argue and  tell the conductor haul he mudder toon-toon.

I don't know what was going on in Eric and the PNM head. I heard one of our famous orators in Woodford square saythat PNM financiers, aka the parasite oligarchy persuaded the Doc to do away with it so that they could bring more cars and buses and build more roads. Neal and Massey and another car plant(Amalgamated motors) in O'meara used assembley buses and other vehicles. Their argument was that it would create jobs for the unemployed. Actually it did. Plenty welders, mechanics, electrician, upholsters, etc. But I really don't know what the real reason was.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:59:06 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »
Keep dem going deeks

wham to your friend, he get injured bad or wha?

...and just curious to know what 'sharply dressed' meant back then...a full bright suit? hat an tng?

'Sharpedly dress". The guy used to look real neat. Ironed shirt, with thin tie. Well seamed pants, black, brown,blue or khahi and clean pointy-tip shoes. Clean and shining. He had a neat flat top. And always had on cologne.  Old Spice. I know it because I used to try meh my step-father own.

My friend was more embarassed and frightened than hurt. We went to class quiet, quiet for about a week. Like I said I did continued hoppin' train. But he stopped. I saw him a long, long time ago and we would laughed at crazy thing we did. If our parents knew.....lawd...tonnere.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 06:46:31 PM »
Classic T&T. Last train, historical moment, media present  ...and it still run half hour late
LOL fuh real...700 people fit, that could've been a record as well

1]; } ?>