April 25, 2024, 10:59:08 AM

Author Topic: 6 sent off for wearing wrong underpants!  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
6 sent off for wearing wrong underpants!
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:23:06 PM »
Yahoo Sports

A youth game descended into farce after Bath City's youth team had five players and their manager sent off following a row about underpants.

Darren Adie, refereeing the contest against Newport County, contentiously ruled that some of the Bath team's underwear contravened the official rules.

The FA's rule 4 says "if thermal undershorts are worn, they are of the same main colour as the shorts."

Several players fell foul of the ruling, wearing white pants which were visible under the club's red shorts.

That said, the match was 20 minutes old before the issue came to a head.

Defender Billy Cooper was sent off first, with manager Billy Clark following for dissent at the decision, before Ciaran Rogers, Zemell Burton, Ben Bicknell and Lewis Pierre all saw red.

Despite that, the Bath Chronicle report that Bath City believe that even after the red cards, there were still players on the pitch on both sides who were technically in breach of the rules but remained on the pitch throughout.

Unsurprisingly, Bath City went on to lose the Youth Cup tie 6-0, with the first goal scored while two of their players were off the field, changing.

Bath City chairman Manda Rigby described the parents who saw the game as "distressed and angry," and said that referee Adie had locked himself in his room after the game.

‘"It was farcical - I have never seen anything like it before," she said.

‘"I was in total disbelief."

Bath managing director Paul Williams added: "It was all very surreal. I was angry with the officials.

"Every team has to submit a report about the officials to the FA. Let's just say ours is a very long report."

A spokesman for the FA said it was looking into the incident together with the Welsh FA, who supplied the match officials.

Newport County secretary Mike Everett, meanwhile, said he would not be making a similar complaint about the standard of refereeing.

"I understand that the initial problem was regarding incorrect undergarments," he said. "The referee made his decisions. There's not a lot I can add."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 6 sent off for wearing wrong underpants!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
Idiot ref.
Just tell them change at 1/2 time. Is not like you gain some advantage from wearing different-colour drawers.
(though it does seem to work for batman and superman. The Hulk proves my point though  :) )
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 6 sent off for wearing wrong underpants!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
De ref could've at least said something before the game (seems like he didn't) and take a pro-active approach rather than waiting till the game is in duration to make his point. Lot's of refs typically will come to the locker rooms/bench and tell players no jewelry, check shin guards, in some instances inspect cleats etc. In all my years I've never seen or heard any ref uphold that rule at youth level.

1]; } ?>