April 28, 2024, 09:57:19 PM

Author Topic: Should FIFA modify the offside & substitute rules ?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Should FIFA modify the offside & substitute rules ?
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
Should FIFA modify the offside & substitute rules ?

Allowing teams to make atleast 5 subs in official games, not just friendlies.

I also feel if the off side rules is eliminated it will be more interesting, because teams now score one goal and then put all their players to defend it making the game very boaring.

Or maybe they could modify it so players would not loaf, leave the rule, but modify it ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should FIFA modify the offside & substitute rules ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:13 AM »
Hi Sam,

Please specify how you would like to modify the offside rule. Right now, a player can remain offside as long as he does not interfere with play, interfere with an opponent or gain an advantage while in that position. For example, he is offside and a midfielder passes the ball to him while in that position, the flagman should rule an offside offense.

I too would like to see some relaxing of the offside rule, but not have the rule eliminated altogether. If the rule were relaxed, Cornell Glenn would be a perfect candidate to take advantage of this since he likes to lurk high up the field anyway.

Regarding subs, I think increasing the sub quota could produce some problems. Sometimes an inferior team can prevail as long as their players have a high level of fitness. We saw that happen during our last campaign where we were dominating El Salvador, only to see them get back in the game, because our players got tired.

I would argue to leave the substitution limits as they are and force coaches to focus on higher fitness levels for their players.

Please let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:51:22 AM by CarenageBoy »

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
i think the game is good as it is.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
Personally, I would like to see the game revert back to one sub. This way you eliminate the benefit of moneybags clubs having 3 superstars on the bench. The game is about your best 11 and the sub must be saved until late in the game to cover injuries. Not only would this stop the interruptioon of the games flow (coaches will bring on a sub if the opposition are in a period of dominence) but it will also mean a better coach could adapt with what he has on the field rather than change 30% of his starting line up.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
I have always had an issue with the offside rule ever since the made the modification to the rule that if the player is not influencing the play or interfere with an opponent. I am thinking of it from the goalkeeper's perspective or even the last defender back.
 Lets say an attacker is lurking to the far side of the field in an offside position put totally not part of any play. In as much as he is not influencing play, he is IMO still a cause for concern for the keeper or defender just by his presence. I know many will disagree but from my playing days as a sweeper, I was always concerned with attackers no matter where they were on the field, even if they were not top of mind.

As for the subs, I kind of agree with Sam with increasing the subs, with a twist to it. Continue the three subs but grant an additional GK sub. I know its a little weak but I have seen a few games where there is an injury to the GK and teams are forced to make a sub at the expense of an outfield player, in other word 2 subs for outfield rather than the three. Just my opinion though.
well yes

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
Personally, I would like to see the game revert back to one sub. This way you eliminate the benefit of moneybags clubs having 3 superstars on the bench. The game is about your best 11 and the sub must be saved until late in the game to cover injuries. Not only would this stop the interruptioon of the games flow (coaches will bring on a sub if the opposition are in a period of dominence) but it will also mean a better coach could adapt with what he has on the field rather than change 30% of his starting line up.

Supporter, you in the dinosaur ages or wha?  Look at the congested international and club schedules these players face, with only a few weeks in the offseason, during which they must STILL maintain some level of fitness, and you might feel guilty about your wishes.  ;)  The need for a deep squad is conspicuously obvious.

1]; } ?>