March 28, 2024, 05:53:24 AM

Author Topic: Carlyle Mitchell Thread  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlyle Mitchell Thread
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
Whitecaps defender Mitchell earns praise in MLS debut
By Martin MacMahon (MLSsoccer.com)

Carlyle Mitchell’s MLS debut in the Whitecaps' 3-0 victory over Real Salt Lake on Thursday was nice and quiet, with a sprinkling of crunching tackles.

Signed on deadline day, the center back showed composure on the ball and bite in the tackle as Vancouver claimed their fifth MLS victory of the season, and their first at their new home, BC Place.

The Trinidadian's speed and strength were evident throughout the match, especially in the first half, as RSL had several excellent spells of possession, but tellingly, little in the way of quality opportunities.

Mitchell told reporters in the buildup to the match that he’d have to adjust to the increased speed of the North American game, but there were few signs of that on Thursday.

“The speed of the play is very quick,” Mitchell told MLSsoccer.com after Thursday’s win. “Back home, there is more passing at the back. I find I adapted very quick and now I’ll try to push on from here and have another wonderful performance.”

Last week, interim coach Tom Soehn told reporters his center backs had to talk more and marshal the defense, but he seemed happier with that aspect of the game with the addition of Mitchell.

“Mitchell coming in at the back gave us some bite, real athleticism,” Soehn said. “He did a good job communicating. We did a good job of keeping a high line and staying organized."

The new defensive pairing of captain Jay DeMerit and Mitchell seemed to click right away, despite the Trinidadian’s rapid and musical speech.

“Great player, great leadership,” Mitchell said of DeMerit. “We communicate well, understand each other. I talk a little fast, but we understand [each other].”

The pairing’s attributes seem to complement each other well, according to goalkeeper Joe Cannon.

“It was really easy the way [DeMerit and Mitchell] were playing,” the veteran 'keeper noted. “I think Jay and Mitchell are very similar in the sense that they’re good in the air, good in the tackle."

After running away with the shutout win vs. RSL, it seems the Whitecaps have their starting central pair for what remains of this season, and maybe for 2012.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Whitecaps defender Mitchell earns praise in MLS debut
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Good one, and I hope he keeps improving.  We need defenders.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
“The speed of the play is very quick,” Mitchell told MLSsoccer.com after Thursday’s win. “Back home, there is more passing at the back. I find I adapted very quick and now I’ll try to push on from here and have another wonderful performance.”

i find this to be very interesting.. All our players go abroad and always comment on the speed of play as opposed to ours @ home. Yet we dont seem inclined to change our style to meet international standards.

More passing @ the back  = more goals conceded..

:beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
great i hope he do well!!!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
So will we see a call up for this guy soon?  Another defender, and a young one at 24, is a good thing.  With him and Julius James getting better every day. We could have a good pair of central defenders for years to come.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »

i find this to be very interesting.. All our players go abroad and always comment on the speed of play as opposed to ours @ home. Yet we dont seem inclined to change our style to meet international standards.

More passing @ the back  = more goals conceded..

:beermug:

More passing at the back yes, but not enough touches in midfield. We finding that problem with our National Team too. Lack of composure in midfield, which would mean when we play teams that like to press, our defense would be in trouble.

In addition, somebody PLEASE CALL UP SHEANON WILLIAMS!!!!!!

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »
So how come this fella come out d blue, make a MLS team that suddenly start to win. He adapt, he starting, and he wasn't in we National plans, meanwhile fellas who in we National plans going Vietnam, India, one a d small Stans...on trials, little sure...how the hell Vancouver even see he to bring him, an put him straight in the mix...doh tell meh we still picking the wrong players for the required circumstance...maybe he couldn't pass it round in the back good, but only had potential to play at speed why he didn't get the call...ah next one who was barely getting any run, go away, get game, and come back an starring...wha happen, other ppl seeing something in players, we, our coaches, our selectors not seeing ? Is that even possible ?  Ah thought ah ask that question bout 6 years ago, an ppl assure meh, nah is we best getting run.....remember, was round the time where a few of us was liking El Cyd, and the majority was wondering why BeenE was carrying a wildman...maybe plenty of us doh know the game as much as we think ? Nah...dat cyah be so....whitecaps..stoke...trencin....none ah dem doh play & live in hot sun...wha dem know  ::)

Anyway, I pleasantly surprise & happy for the youth...hope ppl keep looking and continue to bless we with some spirit pick so...we go keep wukkin on begging dem to come back, even if we still think they not worth it when they do.. :frustrated:

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
Nb: not referring to Vancouver game, which they lost, as Mitchell wasn't selected, even to the bench..hope he not injured...imagine if that is why they lorse..going & try and find out....

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/09/whitecaps-fc-add-defender-carlyle-mitchell-their-mls-roster

Is all a find, an learn he did play 3 times, buh we did lorse to JA at least one of those times...so maybe he not as good as ah thought  :bs:

Add: groin injury

Whitecaps flash D.C. United 2-1 for back-to-back wins

BY MARC WEBER, THE PROVINCEOCTOBER 13, 2011

Before the game, a Long Tan montage graced the second-biggest video board in North America — recognition of his breakout performance last week.

He loves sushi, Chinese food and scoring goals, we learned.

And, all of a sudden, Vancouver Whitecaps' fans love him.

Tan left Wednesday's 2-1 win over D.C. United to a standing ovation on the hour mark at BC Place.

His header one minute into the second half went off the crossbar and in, and his first MLS goal stood up as the winner in front of 17,288 fans.

After the game, the "#LoveYouLongTan" hashtag — a way to mark topics — was trending on Twitter in Vancouver.

And Tan, a 23-year-old forward from Dalian, China, was in the locker room, surrounded by more media than he's seen combined this season.

An interpreter helped the Mandarin speaker along.

"I'm very happy," Tan said. "I remember today. Alain [Rochat] gave me a very great ball, so, thanks Alain."

Last week's theme was change. Interim coach Tommy Soehn switched four players in his starting lineup and gave Tan his first start since May 14.

Wednesday was about rewarding those players for a 3-0 win over Real Salt Lake, and seeing if they could follow it up.

It only took one minute to answer that question. Jordan Harvey, who is busy reinventing himself on left wing, played in a perfect cross for Camilo and the Brazilian scored his 12th goal of the season.

He's now just two off the Golden Boot pace set by D.C.'s Dwayne De Rosario, New York's Thierry Henry and San Jose's Chris Wondolowski.

But the story of the night was again Tan, whose work rate up front, and patience all season, is finally paying off.

His departure an hour in was telling of what his teammates think. Eric Hassli, the Whitecaps' highest paid player, was back from suspension Wednesday but began on the bench as Tan went to work.

Instead of a high five, or pat on the back, a beaming Hassli embraced Tan as the crowd recognized his effort.

"I just learn every day from him," Tan said. "Every day, he says, 'Long, work hard.' I just listen to him like [he's] my coach.'"

"He's put a lot of work into the last two games," said Soehn, "and I was really happy for him. You could see the excitement in his eyes when he scored and he's earned it. He's give us a lot of life out there."

Soehn's other switches last week continued to work well. John Thorrington brought a tenacity and calm to central midfield, Tanzanian Nizar Khalfan was energetic on right wing, and Carlyle Mitchell was steady at centre back before leaving with tightness in his groin in the 61st.

Harvey's move to left wing has paid off, and, of equal importance, allowed Rochat to return to left-back from centre back.

Both played in pin-point crosses Wednesday that led to goals and, coming into the game, the Whitecaps had scored just five times off crosses all season.

The win damaged D.C.'s playoff hopes and marked the Whitecaps (6-16-10) first back-to-back victories of the season. It also lifted them out of the MLS basement, a spot now occupied by the New England Revolution.

"We said that coming in," said captain Jay DeMerit. "If we win tonight, then we're not the last place team in the league. Nobody wants to be that."

Davide Chiumiento is sure to be a talking point this week as the talented but mercurial Italian playmaker was left off the 18-man roster.

For now, though, it's Tan's spotlight. His smart run also aided the opening goal, as he drew a defender to free up Camilo for a simple finish.

D.C. mounted a comeback when Santino Quaranta, fresh off the bench, had his long free kick headed in by defender Brandon McDonald in the 58th minute.

With Mitchell forced out of the game, the home side were briefly unsettled at the back but managed to hang on, thanks in part to a Jeb Brovsky sliding block that might have hit the fullback's arm.

Shea Salinas also made an important sliding block in time added on when DeMerit slipped on what seemed to be an unusually slick surface.

The visitors ultimately missed their MVP candidate, Dwayne De Rosario, who played 90 minutes for Canada in a World Cup qualifier on Tuesday in Toronto.

"You want to finish off the season proud of something," Soehn said. "We've put together two results now and performances that feel like you're competing."

mweber@theprovince.com

twitter.com/ProvinceWeber

© Copyright (c) The Province

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:25:48 PM by maxg »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:07 PM »
Steups! And ah was looking forward to seeing the man play tonight yuh know.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 03:09:07 AM »
So how come this fella come out d blue, make a MLS team that suddenly start to win. He adapt, he starting, and he wasn't in we National plans, meanwhile fellas who in we National plans going Vietnam, India, one a d small Stans...on trials, little sure...how the hell Vancouver even see he to bring him, an put him straight in the mix...doh tell meh we still picking the wrong players for the required circumstance...maybe he couldn't pass it round in the back good, but only had potential to play at speed why he didn't get the call...ah next one who was barely getting any run, go away, get game, and come back an starring...wha happen, other ppl seeing something in players, we, our coaches, our selectors not seeing ? Is that even possible ?  Ah thought ah ask that question bout 6 years ago, an ppl assure meh, nah is we best getting run.....remember, was round the time where a few of us was liking El Cyd, and the majority was wondering why BeenE was carrying a wildman...maybe plenty of us doh know the game as much as we think ? Nah...dat cyah be so....whitecaps..stoke...trencin....none ah dem doh play & live in hot sun...wha dem know  ::)

Anyway, I pleasantly surprise & happy for the youth...hope ppl keep looking and continue to bless we with some spirit pick so...we go keep wukkin on begging dem to come back, even if we still think they not worth it when they do.. :frustrated:
:timeout:  Breds, ah really hate tuh come off like ah jerk when responding to ppl, but is comments like this that does make me lose my cool!!! before yuh talk you must do some research, ah beg yuh do. bc this is the man who make pfister lose his cool on tuesday!!

this is the first player whom he mentioned went on trial without his knowledge, this same fella who he claimed that was training with him and next he knew the guy was on trial in colorado (in which case he mixed up colorado with vancouver). 

the bredder was in training with the national team and went on trial, hence the reason he didn't make the team. ah also hear ppl inquiring about bout cyrus and scotty's exclusion, when in fact those two also trained with pfister and never got called up, scotty for what ever reason, and cyrus broke his foot.

allyuh need tuh stop wid all this speculation and outa timin talk, and deal wid the raw facts! wey allyuh feel, this man is latas or pancho??!! :pissedoff:                           :shameonyou:         
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:11:25 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 08:28:32 AM »

:timeout:  Breds, ah really hate tuh come off like ah jerk when responding to ppl, but is comments like this that does make me lose my cool!!! before yuh talk you must do some research, ah beg yuh do. bc this is the man who make pfister lose his cool on tuesday!!

this is the first player whom he mentioned went on trial without his knowledge, this same fella who he claimed that was training with him and next he knew the guy was on trial in colorado (in which case he mixed up colorado with vancouver). 

the bredder was in training with the national team and went on trial, hence the reason he didn't make the team. ah also hear ppl inquiring about bout cyrus and scotty's exclusion, when in fact those two also trained with pfister and never got called up, scotty for what ever reason, and cyrus broke his foot.

allyuh need tuh stop wid all this speculation and outa timin talk, and deal wid the raw facts! wey allyuh feel, this man is latas or pancho??!! :pissedoff:                           :shameonyou:         

Ah feel the man was referring to the fact that at no pt in time previously was the man even mentioned as being part of the national setup. previous coaches didnt look at him ( i cud be wrong)......and now outta no where he get contract to play mls ball.

begs the question "what the coaches before was looking at?" Otto obvioulsy see what vancouver saw but latas, mats etc didnt......

Studied Madology

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
 from what i recall mitchell distinguished himself on the olympic team under mccomie, saving us shame by scoring the single t&t goal in a 3-1 loss against grenada. maybe he hadn't got his feet under him yet when maturana took over. dunno why latas didn't select him.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 09:18:23 AM »
Ah feel the man was referring to the fact that at no pt in time previously was the man even mentioned as being part of the national setup. previous coaches didnt look at him ( i cud be wrong)......and now outta no where he get contract to play mls ball.

begs the question "what the coaches before was looking at?" Otto obvioulsy see what vancouver saw but latas, mats etc didnt......

from what i recall mitchell distinguished himself on the olympic team under mccomie, saving us shame by scoring the single t&t goal in a 3-1 loss against grenada. maybe he hadn't got his feet under him yet when maturana took over. dunno why latas didn't select him.

CORRECTION! It was Latas dat gave Mitchell his senior team debut last year, in a 3-1 loss tuh de Reggae Boyz. Two of Mitchell's three caps was under Latas.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
i was hoping you would show up  ;D  i was going to addenum my post with a 'tallman correct me if i'm wrong' but i let it pass. ah have to start putting TCMIIW in my posts
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »

CORRECTION! It was Latas dat gave Mitchell his senior team debut last year, in a 3-1 loss tuh de Reggae Boyz. Two of Mitchell's three caps was under Latas.

CORRECTION accepted ............ ;D
Studied Madology

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »
thanks for the clarification Cowen, Tallman....jus cool buff accepted, yet if you had bother to read the next post , you would have seen I did do the research and corrected myself, and more found why he didn't play Vancouver last game, buh me won't buff U for not reading and understandin as Cowen did....so however you hate to come off yet chose to do it anyway cyah be because of ppl like me...thanks for the extra info as well

Important point however is, with that groin injury, would most likely be out of our picture for awhile...Get well soon kid...carry on

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
thanks for the clarification Cowen, Tallman....jus cool buff accepted, yet if you had bother to read the next post , you would have seen I did do the research and corrected myself, and more found why he didn't play Vancouver last game, buh me won't buff U for not reading and understandin as Cowen did....so however you hate to come off yet chose to do it anyway cyah be because of ppl like me...thanks for the extra info as well

Important point however is, with that groin injury, would most likely be out of our picture for awhile...Get well soon kid...carry on
Breddren, nowhere in my post did i intend to insult, or did i use any words to indicate that i was insulting or on buff mode.

i wrote just the same as if i would be talking to ah breddren or a colleague, and never did i use vain words or profanity towards you. wham , yuh skin so thin that yuh can't take ah lil criticism ?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:40:16 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »
at all, thin skin, cyah have thin skin when yuh actually care bout ppl, I commented because I care, if I didn't care bout what you have to say, I won't bother answer..but U wrote

"  Breds, ah really hate tuh come off like ah jerk when responding to ppl, but is comments like this that does make me lose my cool!!! before yuh talk you must do some research, ah beg yuh do."

I simply pointed out, that I did continue on and did the research...however, even if I didn't a simple correction would have been enuff, instead of u getting upset..that's all...i felt that was a buff(could be wrong), but wasn't an insult..btw, I learn from criticism, so please feel free, however this board is bout the development of we, so I meself just cool with meself  ;D

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
lol I wonder who skin really thin or rather who like to jump the gun?  ;D

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
Ah was waiting patiently for one of the instigators, and as always, never disappointed or too far behind wid the gyul attitude.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »
Ah was waiting patiently for one of the instigators, and as always, never disappointed or too far behind wid the gyul attitude.

The defense rests your honour!! Your witness!  ;D!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:10 AM »

The defense rests your honour!! Your witness!  ;D!
Weh all dah skinnin and grinnin fuh, you eh have no point. stuepsss

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlyle Mitchell Thread
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
Q&A with 'Caps defender Carlyle Mitchell
By Carl Valentine & Brandon Timko (whitecapsfc.com)

Late in the season, Whitecaps FC signed Trinidad & Tobago international Carlyle Mitchell. The centre back ended up starting three of the final four home matches on Bell Pitch at BC Place. Yesterday it was announced that Mitchell has been called up to play for his national team, but before leaving he took some time to talk with whitecapsfc.com, telling us about his humble beginnings on the island, his career path, and how he ended up becoming a defender.

Q: Alright Carlyle, to start, tell us what life was like growing up in Trinidad?

A: It was pretty hard because I didn’t come from a rich family. My dad worked and my mom was a housewife. Making it as a footballer was the best way out of poverty.

Q: Do you have any siblings?

A: I have three brothers and three sisters.  My brothers are Devon, Dexter and Joseph and my sisters are Saphire, Carlene and Melissa.

Q: Who did you look up to when you were younger?

A: When I was younger, I liked Manchester United because of Dwight Yorke because he came from Trinidad and he was playing for a big club in England. That was a big thing for Trinidadians.

Q: Which teams have you played for?

A: I played on my neighbourhood team called Uprising and then Pinto United in my village. Then I went to Memphis (in Trinidad), one of the biggest youth academies on the island. From Memphis, I played school football at Mt. Hope, then I went to Hillview College. A coach saw me and liked me and took me on for the national U-20 team. I then started with Caledonia AIA for one year in the TT Pro League. I was a U-20 player, so I wasn’t on a professional contract. Then I made the Trinidad U-23 Olympic team and I signed with Joe Public F.C., which was the first pro contract I signed. From there I came to the Whitecaps.

Q: How old were you when you made your pro debut?

A: I was 19-years-old playing for Caledonia. I’d just come out of school. We were playing Defence Force in a cup match and we won on penalties, 4-3 I think.

Q: Have you always been a defender?

A: No, I was a striker. I played striker for the national U-20 team, U-23 team and at Caledonia AIA. At Caledonia, the coach played me a bit in defence because of my height, but I didn’t like defence because I liked to score goals. I moved on to Joe Public to play striker. Then one game, one of our players at Joe Public got injured, and the coach asked ‘Who wants to go on for that guy?’ and I said ‘I want to play, I’ll go on for him’, so I go on for him in defence. After the game finishes, the coach comes up to me and smiles, and I say ‘What you smiling about’, and he says ‘Just giving you food for thought… I didn’t know you could play defence’. So then I started playing defence for Joe Public, and when I did I got a call from Caledonia and they said ‘I thought you had a problem playing defence’, and I just laughed.

Q: Trinidad and Tobago was the smallest nation ever to qualify for the FIFA World Cup in 2006. What do you remember about that?

A: When the first game came up against Sweden, I had to go get my grad suit. So my friend and I went into Port of Spain to get shoes to match my suit, and as we were heading over we listened to the game on the Maxi (public transport) radio. I got to watch the second half when I reached home. In the second game versus England, when Peter Crouch scored that goal against us, the whole of Trinidad went ballistic.

Q: What do you think of the level of play in MLS?

A: MLS is a big step for me and where I come from. The pace of the game is very high compared to Trinidad and great crowd support. Vancouver Whitecaps fill the stadium every game and the crowd makes it great to play football.

Q: What is your favourite memory in your career so far?

A: In 2009 with Joe Public F.C. we won five titles in one season. I think we created history, the only team ever to do that in Trinidad and Tobago.

Q: Who are your favourite players?

A: Ronaldinho and Messi. They have great skill.

Q: Favourite team?

A: I like Barcelona because of the way they keep the ball and play simple. Great chemistry.

Q: Favourite food and drink?

A: I like macaroni pie, chicken. And I like orange Gatorade.

Q: Favourite type of music?

A: I like soca (a musical development of traditional Trinidadian calypso).

Q: What do you think of Vancouver?

A: It’s a great city. I don’t know many places yet, but nice people who are very friendly. I look forward to meeting more people and seeing more of the city.

Great, thanks for your time Carlyle!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Q&A with 'Caps defender Carlyle Mitchell
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
Very nice interview to introduce the player.  Now, make a name for yourself, brother!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 05:46:34 AM »
Mitchell's goal against Sporting Kansas City in the Disney Pro Soccer Classic.

<a href="http://p.mlssoccer.com/P9wBs/video/883101/883101_2012-02-29-231701.640hq.mp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://p.mlssoccer.com/P9wBs/video/883101/883101_2012-02-29-231701.640hq.mp4</a>

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
Well taken. Nice to see he's getting a run. He'll have competition for that centerback spot this year.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Q&A with 'Caps defender Carlyle Mitchell
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 06:55:08 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEhiyR87QEU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SEhiyR87QEU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlyle Mitchell Thread
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »
Carlyle Mitchell serves by sitting and waiting
By Bruce Constantineau (Vancouver Sun)

Carlyle Mitchell has made the 18-man roster for every Vancouver Whitecaps game this season but hasn't seen a minute of playing time.

That should change soon.

The Caps' Amway Canadian Championship semi-final series game in Edmonton this week marks the start of a possible stretch of eight games in 24 days so Whitecaps understudies will get a chance to play.

Mitchell, a 24-year-old Trinidad & Tobago international centre back, can't wait.

“I've been on the 18 so many times this season and now I'll get a chance so I'll take it,” he said Monday after a Whitecaps training session in Burnaby.

The 6-2, 165-pound defender had three late-season starts for Vancouver after the Caps signed him last September and looked effective in establishing himself as a speedy and physical presence in Major League Soccer.

But starting centre backs Jay DeMerit and Martin Bonjour have anchored a back line that has posted six clean sheets in eight games this season so Mitchell has patiently taken a regular seat on the bench.

“It's not frustrating but at the same time, you really want to play,” he said. “You just have to wait for your chance to come and grasp it with both hands. Nothing happens before its time.”

Mitchell has partnered with centre back Michael Boxall in the club's three reserve games so far this season and scored a last-minute goal to salvage a 1-1 draw with the Seattle Sounders reserves last month.

He enjoys the playing time he gets at the reserve level but said it doesn't replicate the intensity of an MLS game.

“It's just not the same so you really have to adjust yourself for the big games,” he said.

Boxall, a New Zealand international who started seven of the Whitecaps' first eight games in his rookie season last year, also hasn't seen the field in an MLS game this season and anxiously awaits his chance.

“Obviously it's very frustrating but it's hard to argue with the play of our back four and especially [holding midfielder] Marques Davidson,” he said. “I think he's doing an excellent job.”

Boxall has been working on “little individual things” with assistant coaches Paul Ritchie and Jake DeClute and tries to treat training sessions like they're games.

“Everyone who hasn't been getting regular minutes has definitely been training hard and putting in a lot of effort behind the scenes,” he said. “Whoever gets picked for Wednesday [against Edmonton] and the following Wednesday [in the return match] will definitely be up for it.”

It's a good bet the starting thirtysomethings on the squad – including goalkeeper Joe Cannon, right back Young-Pyo Lee and centre back Jay DeMerit – will be rested Wednesday so they'll be ready for the MLS game against San Jose on Saturday.

So goalkeeper Brad Knighton might get his first start of the season while midfielder Davide Chiumiento, who sat on the bench the past two games, could also see action in Edmonton.

Whitecaps head coach Martin Rennie feels he has a deep squad to draw from and notes several people are coming back from injury, including defender Alain Rochat, who has been out more than a month with a knee issue.

“I do think that fresh legs are helpful as much as possible and we have a lot of big games ahead,” he said.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:28:23 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whither Carlyle Mitchell?
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
Whither Carlyle Mitchell?
By Benjamin Massey (eightysixforever.com)

News from Vancouver Whitecaps world that Jay DeMerit isn't making the trip to New England. After going for 90 minutes Wednesday against FC Edmonton it's possible that DeMerit's just tired, or that he picked up a knock. Either way, it doesn't sound like the New England Revolution will have to worry about one of our regular defenders.

The smart money says that Alain Rochat will play centre back and Jordan Harvey, who Martin Rennie has frankly inexplicable confidence in, will start at left back. However, I've never been one to be satisfied with the smart money and so I ask the question: what the heck is this team going to do with Carlyle Mitchell?

Have you forgotten about Mitchell? Couldn't blame you. His only action with the Whitecaps first team this year has come in 180 minutes of Voyageurs Cup. He arrived late last season, during the absolute worst of the Tom Soehn dog days, fresh out of obscurity in Trinidad and Tobago.

Mitchell's not a big name. Heck, before the season a few people thought he might be cut. But he has 331 career minutes as a Whitecap (all competitions) and probably 300 of them have been good. He's not large for a centre back but mobile and stronger than he looks. He's also only 24 years old, which should count for plenty on a back four which has two key players (DeMerit and Lee Young-pyo) well into their thirties and another (Rochat) getting awfully close.

Mitchell hasn't got much playing time. A lot of what he did get came in garbage time last season when, frankly, the games didn't count for much and an enthusiastic puppy would have looked impressive. But so far he's hardly put a foot wrong. He brings a good two-way sensibility, has surprisingly fair technical ability given his modest origins, and, on paper at least, ought to pair well with the tall but slower Martin Bonjour. Basically, he ought to do what Rochat does at centre back, therefore freeing the Swiss star to play his best position at left back and thus sending Harvey to play his best position at bench.

Martin Rennie's stuck with a fairly stable squad this year and has been getting results. But DeMerit's absense gives an opportunity for experiment. Sticking with the sub-par Harvey - Rochat left-side tandem won't work; we know how much Rochat hurts playing in the middle and we know how much Harvey hurts trying to play elementary soccer. Mitchell's done nothing but impress in his every opportunity. For heaven's sake, give Carlyle his chance.

In between ranting and raving at Jordan Harvey I do take some time to watch soccer. I have seen the occasional game, and Carlyle Mitchell is a useful centreback if anybody is. In fact, though it's hard to tell given the different levels they've been at, I would prefer Mitchell over DeMerit if you put a gun to my head.

Why do I like Mitchell? Because he's confident on the field without being arrogant. On the one hand he's not afraid to run with the ball and try some audacious passes, he loves to get forward at the appropriate times, and he plays good aggressive soccer. On the other hand he does all this without trying to overstep his bounds, trying to dribble the ball through an entire team, without yanking himself out of defensive position because he thinks he's a Premier League player among semi-pros, or making a bevy of mental mistakes which sometimes affect players of his calibre.

He showed very well late last year and was among Vancouver's better players in both Voyageurs Cup matches. He's also done exceptionally in the MLS Reserves: in a slightly hilarious turn a couple of weeks ago, after a series of injuries hit the Whitecaps Reserves forwards against Portland, Mitchell moved up top and significantly outplayed Atiba Harris in a cameo as a striker. He's also scored with the Reserves this year, although that was as a defender (a dramatic last-minute header off an Omar Salgado cross).

I fully understand keeping Mitchell out of the lineup so far in MLS: why fix what ain't broke, and the Bonjour - DeMerit tandem in the middle has worked out exceptionally. Notwithstanding what I said about preferring Mitchell to DeMerit, I don't think for a second Jay has played himself off the field and am happy with Mitchell as a substitute. But it's possible to take conservatism too far, and playing Harvey over Mitchell would do precisely that.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlyle Mitchell heads to South Korea
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:41 PM »
Defender Carlyle Mitchell, formerly of Vancouver Whitecaps, has signed with South Korean club, Seoul E-Land FC, of the K League Challenge (2nd Division). He will link up with former Whitecaps coach, Martin Rennie.

1]; } ?>