April 18, 2024, 02:30:47 AM

Author Topic: Skipper Stern backs Warriors to rebound  (Read 5566 times)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Skipper Stern backs Warriors to rebound
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:32:12 AM »
Skipper Stern backs team to rebound.
T&T Express Reports.

Trinidad and Tobago stand-in captain Stern John has spoken out in the wake of the national team's latest defeat to Bermuda, saying it was one of the better performances he has witnessed by T&T in recent time.

John, now a veteran of 113 international matches with 70 goals, had two opportunities in Friday's match in Bermuda, which the home team won 2-1, while Julius James, Hughtun Hector and Lester Peltier also went close. Kevin Molino was T&T's scorer.

"It"s a real pity the fans in Trinidad could not see the match, because I can tell you, after the game I was saying to a few people and to myself that I couldn't believe we lost the game after the kind of football we played," John told Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) media officer Shaun Fuentes.

"I'm not trying to defend the players or even the coach but I think we were just unfortunate on the day. Bermuda had three chances and they took two. We really kept the ball and played it around the park well for almost all of the match.

We played like a team in that our possession and the way we went forward and defended also was the best I've seen from a national team in a while.

And I think credit must go out to the boys when you consider the age of some of them. Of course goals win matches and we didn't convert," John added. "We'll have to work at a few things and come back better."

The former Sunderland player has been through it all with the national team, loved one day and heavily criticised the other.

"I've been through it and worse before. I know the fans and the critics as well as the many people who call themselves football experts will be having a go at us because it's hard to accept a loss to Bermuda when we are looking to be able to compete with the likes of Mexico and Costa Rica next year.

"But this is football and we have to come back better and it begins with a win over Barbados on Tuesday," John said, referring to T&T's next qualifier.

Trinidad and Tobago coach Otto Pfister conducted a 70-minute session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium yesterday morning and will do so again today.

Barbados were scheduled to arrive in Trinidad yesterday evening. Tuesday's match kicks off at 5 p.m. at Hasely Crawford Stadium.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:14:24 AM by Flex »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Skipper Stern backs Warriors to rebound
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:32:36 AM »
Note de time change Flex

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »
sorry Stern but this nuh good enough for me. asking the fans to accept a lost because we could not put away our chances is comical

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 02:46:20 AM »
"I've been through it and worse before. I know the fans and the critics as well as the many people who call themselves football experts will be having a go at us because it's hard to accept a loss to Bermuda when we are looking to be able to compete with the likes of Mexico and Costa Rica next year.

I’m with you on this one Stern John! I find that our people are unlike any Caribbean island. If this happened anywhere else in the Caribbean, the fans would rally behind the team and support them to the end.

However, here in T&T, we’re going to blame the players, ask for the head of the coach and refuse to go to the stadium to support the team.

I would like to believe that we dominated the game as Stern John stated.

In any case, we went to Bermuda with a B team to play against their A team in their own backyard. If this were Mexico or the USA going to Bermuda with a B team, thing might have been different. However, we don’t have the kind of depth of those countries.

Instead of laying blame, let’s vibes it up and support the team!

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:29:08 AM »
we need to c the game on tv man, this is 2011 and no videos, can someone get info on this. o boy

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:53:07 AM »
I’m with you on this one Stern John! I find that our people are unlike any Caribbean island. If this happened anywhere else in the Caribbean, the fans would rally behind the team and support them to the end.

Depending on who you are referring to as the "rest of the caribbean" I dont think any Jamaica football fan would accept JAmaica losing to a caribbean team in a world cup qualifier...and i dont think Captain Horace Burrell would be pleased either. But the key is how you rebound...i would dare say anything but a victory against Barbados and Pfister will be under tremendous pressure to get out of this group...failure to do so will no doubt cost him his job. The coach pays the ultimate price when the team fails to live up to expectations.  Whitmore is untouchable at the moment because he's won 100% of the world cup games he's been in charge of (1-0 Mexico, 1-0 Honduras, 3-0 Canada),  has won 1 caribbean cup trophy, and had a good run at the last Gold cup...hes on a 4 game losing streak in friendly games (albeit to strong opponents), but the true measure of his success as Jamaica coach will be come next year when we take on USA, Guatemala, and now lookig Like Haiti for a spot in the HEX. Whitmore is history if we do not get to the Hex
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:01:42 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:15:51 AM »
Note de time change Flex

Thanx Dre...

Anybody could bounce back vs last place team Barbados, hopefully the guys could carry the momentum into the last two games....  :afro:

Good luck in the remainder of your games.....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:05:34 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »
We go beat Barbados and them fellas go feel every A ok.... but dont sleep on Guyana....

We players need to take every single game serious.

Forget de prettiness, just get de job done.

The team not playing with confidence, they need to play with a dog heart mentality, dont waste time ball.

See de fast free kick Andre Toussaint buss on India and Roberts score off it....

Same idea....

Stop de blasted talk, and get de job done.

If de ef eh blow, dont assume he go blow, jog keep running.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:18:21 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »
Good PR by stern - positive stuff.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
did u c the recent game yet, so how u know they played good or bad. we(the fans) and the media need to c the game first to pass judgement.   

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »
You could tell from the radio coverage that we completely dominated the game... was just one of those days

I thought he should have went with Leon holding and Hyland Hector on top of him with Daniel left of Stern as point and Molino right... If your gonna play 4-3-3 the players have to be technically very good... Tinto isnt technically good and he is more of a 4-4-2 winger

But because we are home vs Barbados and need 3 points I would go with a 4-4-2 at home with Stern Jorsling on top, Molino Right, Daniel left, Hector Hyland center and then Telesford James Power and I guess Adams at the back

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »
so what r u saying that lester is not good enough, cuz he played d whole game. we need to c the game!!!!! radio is cool but different

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »

Depending on who you are referring to as the "rest of the caribbean" I dont think any Jamaica football fan would accept JAmaica losing to a caribbean team in a world cup qualifier...and i dont think Captain Horace Burrell would be pleased either. But the key is how you rebound...i would dare say anything but a victory against Barbados and Pfister will be under tremendous pressure to get out of this group...failure to do so will no doubt cost him his job. The coach pays the ultimate price when the team fails to live up to expectations.  Whitmore is untouchable at the moment because he's won 100% of the world cup games he's been in charge of (1-0 Mexico, 1-0 Honduras, 3-0 Canada),  has won 1 caribbean cup trophy, and had a good run at the last Gold cup...hes on a 4 game losing streak in friendly games (albeit to strong opponents), but the true measure of his success as Jamaica coach will be come next year when we take on USA, Guatemala, and now lookig Like Haiti for a spot in the HEX. Whitmore is history if we do not get to the Hex

Nice post RF!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:04:38 AM »
Good luck to Stern John and the guys.....

I feel Noel Williams and Joevin Jones should get a second look.

We need a solid left back.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
so what r u saying that lester is not good enough, cuz he played d whole game. we need to c the game!!!!! radio is cool but different

I suspect that the TTFF is happy that most fans can't really see the game to judge for themselves!
Not sure how much they really care about us fans!!

I was hoping that at least Fuentes and his camera crew could have recorded the game and at least given us a video of the main highlights if not the full game by now just like how he covered some of the team’s training sessions in Bermuda!!

If we played well and dominated the game but failed to put away our chances at least the fans can see that for ourselves and take some heart from that!

Anyway, we got Barbados tomorrow and I will not be happy unless we hit them at least 3 goals without conceding!! Call my standards high but I think we need a confidence booster before we meet Guyana in the final two crucial games home & away.

Not only that, we also need to play a difficult friendly against a decent opponent after that game against Barbados tomorrow in preparation for Guyana in November!

Lying dormant again for a whole month and then playing rusty football against Guyana is not acceptable and I expect Pfister to demand a serious friendly before November when we face Guyana home and away as we need two wins (6 points) against them!!

We should not rely on other teams losing or drawing, our destiny is on our own hands if we win our 3 remaining games! Anything else is unacceptable and means we are not ready to face the likes of Mexico & Costa Rica in the next round.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:28:07 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »

Lying dormant again for a whole month and then playing rusty football against Guyana is not acceptable and I expect Pfister to demand a serious friendly before November when we face Guyana home and away as we need two wins (6 points) against them!!

Against who? This is international football, who do we play against?  I spoke to someone who was at the game and they said that we didnt play badly and this was a real hard luck game!  Funny thing is, they go on to say that this is the best game of the 4 games that TT played
under Pfister.

This further adds credence to this statement by stern as well as the express report.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »

Against who? This is international football, who do we play against?  I spoke to someone who was at the game and they said that we didnt play badly and this was a real hard luck game!  Funny thing is, they go on to say that this is the best game of the 4 games that TT played
under Pfister.

This further adds credence to this statement by stern as well as the express report.

This is why it would be great for fans to see the game or at least highlights of the game!!

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »
Caranage BOY, u talking NONSENSE. We should NOT be losing to Bermuda. NO excuse!!! If u cannot beat Bermuda, how are we expected to beat Mex, USA, Costa Rica, who ALL played high level international games, every single month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
no excuses for the missed opps but i have said this before and some foolish comments were made on sw.net chat from posters who know very little about the game itself

saying possession means nothing,they are playing bad and we don't need foreign based defenders  ::)

but the question i asked was, are you seeing the game? we have not seen the game, so i cannot judge strictly on radio commentary.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »

under Pfister.

mr 3000 you have time with these guys, they braying non stop but haven't seen the match, whats the point educating people who don't want to learn or are willing to listen to reason?

you are wasting your time, it has a lot of posters on here with hard heads, who do not understand the game of football, i have seen the best clubs and teams in the world play sublime football and lose a match because it just wasn't their day, it happens, the football world has shrunk and beating teams by 6 or 7 goals is few and far between, especially here in the caribbean.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »
Man want to see game, we could not score 2 goals againts Bermuda, guess what............They scored 2 aginst us. Apparently we overlooking that small fact. They did not score once, but twice. Give me a break about all this unlucky stuff. You so unlucky that you give up 2 goals vs Bermuda and could only muster 1?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
These men beat we.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
These men beat we.

hahahahahahaha  ;D ;D ;D  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Elan yuh killin' meh...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 11:01:56 AM »
These men beat we.

so you could tell how good a footballer is by an image now?

hear nah you better than nostradamus breds  :D

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »
These men beat we.

Good point...it has long been ah ting ah mines to watch men who doh look like footballers atall atall atall and dey is big time ballers...David Platt comes to mind!!

Anybody see the recent U-20 or it mighta been the U-17 WC wid de little Mexican who get he head buss and then score ah bicycle...de youth look beh-behee and already playing for some Mexican club.

"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »
These men beat we.

Good point...it has long been ah ting ah mines to watch men who doh look like footballers atall atall atall and dey is big time ballers...David Platt comes to mind!!

Anybody see the recent U-20 or it mighta been the U-17 WC wid de little Mexican who get he head buss and then score ah bicycle...de youth look beh-behee and already playing for some Mexican club.

U-17 WC. The player you're referring to is Julio Gomez. His club is Pachuca. Also at Pachuca (from that same squad) is Marco Bueno who remains under consideration as a prospective Liverpool acquisition.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »

And that may not be the solution ... imagine a world in which Turkey had dispatched Fatih Terim in the early days of his tenure ... OR one in which Egypt had not persisted with Hassan Shehata OR even a world for that matter in which Aragones had been made to move on from Spain. One should note that Aragones spent longer in his capacity as national team manager than he did at most of the clubs during his club managerial tenure (Atletico Madrid being the exception).

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
Ah hear de soldier in the middle of the circle have a dread spanner. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
How many men on that squad shorter than Tinto? :devil:

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
I still waiting to see footage of the game against Bermuda, but I doh need to see it to pass judgement.  We lose to Bermuda......daz all I need to know.    We are not any kind of caribbean giants this time around.  The quality is just not there.

1]; } ?>