April 27, 2024, 03:03:43 AM

Author Topic: Is R&B Having an Identity Crisis?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is R&B Having an Identity Crisis?
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »
Is R&B Having an Identity Crisis?
APR 9 2012, 1:39 PM ET 19
Recent comments from musicians show anxiety about the genre's popularity—and about black artists' place in it.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/04/is-r-b-having-an-identity-crisis/255310/

The-Dream has written dance-pop hits for the likes of Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Mariah Carey, but his solo career has largely been about recording R&B. So he knows a thing or two about the phenomenon he recently complained about in the pages of The Guardian. "What's crazy is that blacks can't do soul records any more," he said. "We love Adele singing it, but Beyoncé singing it? No, the tempo's too slow, gimme the club hit. Now the blacks in America are responsible for the pop records, and everybody else is singing soulful records. It's weird to me. We're pigeonholed over there."

What's striking, though, is that only a few days later, Stephin Merritt—singer for the decidedly un-club-friendly, un-R&B indie-pop act The Magnetic Fields—voiced similar concerns to LA Weekly. "I like Adele, though I have some reservations about why people like her," Merritt said. "She really has a lovely voice, but I only get suspicious when people get excited about British people who sound like American black people."

"Basically she sounds like Anita Baker," Merritt continued. "And people are not, you know, wild and crazy about Anita Baker. And I think about the whole, with the racism, when people love when British people sound like American black people."

Both remarks sparked criticism. Some questioned The-Dream's own role in the state of soul, while others charged Merritt with hypocrisy (he's faced accusations of racism, himself). And plenty of Adele fans were quick to argue that the singer's success comes from the quality of her music and the fact that it sounds different from anything else on radio. What's inarguable, though, is that the two men's statements speak to larger, widespread anxiety about the state of modern R&B—and black peoples' place in it.

It's not that there are no new black R&B artists. Singers such as Jazmine Sullivan, whom Adele beat out for Best New Artist at the 2009 Grammys, offer music just as soulful and introspective only with a minuscule fraction of Adele's fame. The same can be said about a gifted vocalist like Ledisi or Miguel. And it remains to be seen whether a newcomer like Stacy Barthe will enjoy Adele's success or turn out to be the Sharon Jones to her Amy Winehouse.

The problem, many black R&B artists say, is the way that in-vogue club pop sounds have infiltrated the genre they love. So-called R&B radio stations play music that, save for tracks from the likes of Trey Songz or Mary J. Blige, aren't actually R&B—yet get labeled as such because black artists are singing on them: tunes like Drake and Rihanna's "Take Care" or Usher's "Climax" (which Usher calls "electro soul," whatever that means). Earlier this year, Boyz II Men, who at their peak scored several megahits off their soulful tracks, made this point. On the state of contemporary R&B, member Shawn Stockman said, "It's taken a step to what I think really isn't R&B. It sounds more electro pop, I think the only reason people call it R&B is cos black folks are singing it."

In 2010, Erykah Badu turned off her radio and took to Twitter to complain as well about the "electro pop" turn R&B has taken, writing: "They playd 6 in a row today- #pop techno songs back to back with so called r&b and rap artists... on the [hip-hop] station. Where I been? Like I said, how y'all gone STAND by and let our music turn into pop techno cornball ass music?"

She went on: "I like the idea of no distinction in race when it comes 2 music, but SOULkeepers, U dont give up the boom bip and the hump 4 the payday."

Trey Songz, one of the few successful artists where the R&B tag is actually applicable, echoed Badu's thoughts in an interview with the Power 105.1 radio show, "The Breakfast Club." "The success of crossover is something we all want to attain, but the route to get there is what's important to me," Trey said. As for why so many of his peers have changed their sound, he acknowledges that it was "the easy thing to do right now to get a hit." Indeed, Trey noted that, "It's not cool to be an R&B singer no more."

As a child of the '80s, Trey can remember when it was cool and how soul singers didn't have to go so left to enjoy certain successes. He said he could recall "a time that Luther Vandross could sell out Madison Square Garden four nights straight with straight soul music and be in the top 100, but that's not what it is right now."

On that same show this week, another R&B artist, Dawn Richard (Danity Kane, Diddy-Dirty Money), spoke about trying to bring innovation to the genre but opting to start off independently releasing her music. It seems label reps would tell her they liked what they heard, but found the sound too risky to offer a record deal.

Rationalizing their ambivalence, Richard asked: "Why would you take a risk on a brown girl? There's no brown girl considered pretty right now poppin' in the game. A dark skinned game. Kelly Rowland? There are, but I'm talking about in that crossover world. They're not allowing it."

What has been allowed, though, is what's selling on radio. The traditional notion of R&B may not be dead, but it does seem destined to live in obscurity until popular tastes change again. As Badu put it, "I love house and techno as a side dish. But now it's served as the main course AND that's ALL u gone get."
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is R&B Having an Identity Crisis?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »
At least they can make a rap record and make money. What can a soca artist do to make money?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »
Talking about identity crisis. Trying pinning down Nicki Minaj.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/showbiz/music/nicki-minaj-roman-reloaded-rs/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

rap and freestyling is trini, deejaying is jamaican.

r and b, jazz, rock and roll is uniquely african american, right now they are on the back burner because the youths in the US love west indian originated music, plain and simple, now we have techno and euro that i've been hearing since i was teen in canada, being the new pop sensation, replacing groups like ABBA and continuing the swedish style pop music, great music nonetheless but where is the r and b gone?

its simple really, this euro hip hop/r and b that is being sung currently is a lot more inexpensive to produce and tour with, compared to live music. the club scene has become more rave oriented and this has caused the downfall of live music, such the same way, where djs replaced pan sides on the road for carnival and the outcome of road march.

bad thing about it, no one wants to spend the time to do live music and create a great album, so adele and amy winehouse did and succeeded, can't blame them, a guy i know was instrumental in the signing of amy and they won big with the album, live music.

nora jones, live music, see the trend... right now the music industry is dominated by the bottom line, quarterly profits, not quality of music and longevity...

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:31:15 AM »
Rap and free styling is Trini?   Can you back that up?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »

rapso - lancelot layne, 60s, in addition to my research i had a long conversation with brother resistance as well many years ago

extempo- first comp in 1940 highlighted in i believe ryan's book on history of trinidad and tobago and number of other books as well, caribbean history was my minor in university, i did an entire unit on the music of T&T, keep in mind this was 9-10 years ago, will have to get my notes on it to give you detailed references

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »

heres just the tip of the iceberg

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/863782/Lord-Pretender

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 06:44:22 PM »
I asked because it's interesting.  I usually press my hip hop brothers about the obvious exemption of Caribbean people from the Hip Hop story.  As if West Indians weren't an integral part of it's development.  Mostly, no one speaks of how so many great rappers are second and third generation West Indians.  I mean Nikki Minaj is my lil cousin.  So I often thought the omissions interesting. 
The extempo thing is a bit shaky because extempo is just free style calypso.  So I don't think the point is strong enough to say that rap came from Trinidad when you had other musical styles employing freestyle such as Blues and Jazz.  But I would love more meat on the topic.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:02:45 PM by Preacher »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »
I asked because it's interesting.  I usually press my hip hop brothers about the obvious exemption of Caribbean people from the Hip Hop story.  As if West Indians weren't an integral part of it's development.  Mostly, no one speaks of how so many great rappers are second and third generation West Indians.  I mean Nikki Minaj is my lil cousin.  So I often thought the omissions interesting. 
The extempo thing is a bit shaky because extempo is just free style calypso.  So I don't think the point is strong enough to say that rap came from Trinidad when you had other musical styles employing freestyle such as Blues and Jazz.  But I would love more meat on the topic.

extempo isn't shaky breds, people and their lack of research into our history is shaky, trinis to pre-occupied with other cultures they forget how great and innovative our history has been and what music we have contributed to the world

freestyle jazz was mainly instrumental and didn't involve picong and dissing an opponent

i have professors who are close friends of mine who endorsed 100% of my research, phds in history and have studied caribbean history their entire lives, furthermore some of them are not even trini, so it is not just a biased research project i did.

i proved conclusively that it is from our little twin island, the problem is, others don't like acknowledging our contribution, especially from the other islands, you have pseudo jamaican youths in tt that don't know their history and many on this board who also don't know our musical history

just like some who talk about garvey and dubois but forget the father of pan -africanism was wiliams, a trini who started the pan african conference, they forget names like nurse and padmore, who helped with independence in africa, or clr james

trinis always focus on other's history except their own but are quick to believe others historical claims

don't let people fool you or mislead you, or neglect the fact that trinidad and tobago has contributed immensely to music in the caribbean and throughout the world
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:59:56 PM by Controversial »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »
yup they copy us !!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>