April 27, 2024, 07:55:06 AM

Author Topic: Not so easy road for Soca Warriors towards Brazil 2014  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Not so easy road for Soca Warriors towards Brazil 2014
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »
If we don't put at least 4 on this side at home then we won't have shown them that we deserve just ah little bit of respect!!

Failing that these smaller island teams will continue to believe they have a good chance against T&T in our back yard much less when we meet them in their’s!

Waiting to see what Pfister and his boys will do to against Bermuda in their  attempt to gain some more respect from theses other Caribbean teams that we use to traditionally roll over and keep under heavy manners!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:24:52 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
Three years ago it was No easy road to South Africa 2010;D
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »
We dogs dead because the first game is a month away and we ent play a friendly with a new coach yet.

hmm well boy yuh right...

we MAY get past bermuda, but we NOT getting past central american teams if we are still unprepared

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
Well yes, the frigging fat man from Bermuda side and all bumping he gum on we yes.

he ent fat. he "burly"
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
So I know we have a crucial double header against Guyana coming up in 3 weeks time.
But this morning I was actually thinking about going Brazil in 2014 seriously for the first time - logistics, time off, if I will be alive, when to pay down on stuff etc etc, inevitably my mind run on whether I will have to be choosing games with Trinidad in it or just go for the experience.
So I start thinking about our chances realistically to qualify.

I think seriously 90% of the people on this site believe that we will get past guyana but then get beaten by Costa Rica and Mexico in the semi-final round...Most people seem extremely unhappy about our state of affairs, recent results, the Jack Warner situation, not reaching the Gold Cup etc etc. By and large, its not the brightest time for T&T football.
But if you step back and look at the big picture, at the history of qualifying in CONCACAF, you will realise that nothing is clear cut.
Lets just assume and accept that we will beat Guyana over 2 legs and qualify for next hear, the situation will look like this:

Group A - United States, Jamaica, Guatemala, Haiti
Group B- Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador and T&T
Group C - Honduras, Cuba, Panama, Canada

Group A - US will obviously go through, I will not bet my house on Jamaica, as they are inconsistent. Haiti as well, so if Ja comes out flat and Haiti comes out flying, anything can happen. Obviously Guatemala will have something to say. But the key thing is that either of these 3 teams, T&T can beat at home and at least fight for a point on the road.

Group C - Tough group to call again,I dont see a definite winner. I honestly do not see Cuba making it out though, but like Group A, any of the other 3 teams can make it. Again the key point is - T&T can beat any of Honduras, Panama or Canada at home and be competitive on the road.

So far, we can compete against 3 out of 4 teams in the final round, I will take my chances against any of them (we all know we will be lucky to split the US games)....

So that leaves Group B - Mexico will win this group most likely, they are and have been in fine form last couple years. Their coach has built a 22 man squad that is an excellent unit. By far the best team in the region. But Mexico has a slight penchant for inconsistency, but I feel they are a definite lock for coming out this group. El Salvador is a beacon of inconsistency (like T&T), one day they look like CONCACAF powerhouses beating small teams to a pulp, next day they are put in their place. Personally, I rate 2 countries in Central America where I think T&T has a chance on the road - El Salvador and Panama. In 2010 WCQ we got 4pts from El Salvador, it should have been 6 except for the meltdown in the first game. So that brings us to Costa Rica. T&T has never matched up good vs COsta Rica, ever! Heck, we even lucky to draw. We can forget about beating them in San Jose....But to be honest, we do not need to actually do that... Costa Rica is also known for some surprising let downs against other central american teams, nothing is a given with them in their games vs Mexico and El Salvador. Its all about the matchup. So as much as we cheer for T&T, we will have to be cheering for whoever is playing Costa Rica. They are our big threat to the final Hex. If we can beat them at home, or avoid defeat, thats not that bad to be honest. It might sound ridiculous, but I can easier see us beating Mexico at home than Costa Rica, its just the way we match up against them.

Make no doubt about it, the semi-final round is gonna be our toughest round since 98 qualifiers when we had Costa Rica and USA  in that group and we finish with 1 point after 6 games. But I cannot stress enough, we matchup very poorly against the US either home or away and much better vs Mexico in Trinidad.
The real prize will come if we manage to get out the Semi-final round, as the Hex will theoretically feature Mexico, USA, plus 3 other teams I would consider easier than costa rica for Trinidad to match up against.
I like those chances to be honest.
Can you imagine a scenario with T&T playing Jamaica, Panama and Guatemala for 1 and a half automatic spots??
Even more attarcative is the fact that we do not need to worry about the South American giants, as the 4th place CONCACAF team will play New Zealand. So making it to the HEX, I like our chances a great deal.

The problem as I see it is Costa Rica...and ourselves.

We need to get our house in order. Been around for too many campaigns to judge T&T from too early. All we need is some chemistry, good gameplans and a forward who goes on a run and we can reach far. We are our own worse enemy in this case.But these early qualifiers is a blessing. We actually playing games.

Once we qualify next month, there should be a small task force set up to figure out how to get past Costa Rica as well. Another key thing is momentum- T&T traditionally does well when we start of good, and poorly when we lose the first game. Hopefully we get El Salvador first in the semifinal round.

Once we can get out that semi group, I think we will do well in 2013....

So, not looking past Guyana too much, but the way I see it Costa Rica and T&T - the 2 big hurdles in the way of seeing T&T in Brazil 2014.....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
Would entertain that post by Trini after we HOPEFULLY get past Guyana as nothing is guaranteed!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
So I know we have a crucial double header against Guyana coming up in 3 weeks time.
But this morning I was actually thinking about going Brazil in 2014 seriously for the first time - logistics, time off, if I will be alive, when to pay down on stuff etc etc, inevitably my mind run on whether I will have to be choosing games with Trinidad in it or just go for the experience.
So I start thinking about our chances realistically to qualify.

I think seriously 90% of the people on this site believe that we will get past guyana but then get beaten by Costa Rica and Mexico in the semi-final round...Most people seem extremely unhappy about our state of affairs, recent results, the Jack Warner situation, not reaching the Gold Cup etc etc. By and large, its not the brightest time for T&T football.
But if you step back and look at the big picture, at the history of qualifying in CONCACAF, you will realise that nothing is clear cut.
Lets just assume and accept that we will beat Guyana over 2 legs and qualify for next hear, the situation will look like this:

Group A - United States, Jamaica, Guatemala, Haiti
Group B- Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador and T&T
Group C - Honduras, Cuba, Panama, Canada

Group A - US will obviously go through, I will not bet my house on Jamaica, as they are inconsistent. Haiti as well, so if Ja comes out flat and Haiti comes out flying, anything can happen. Obviously Guatemala will have something to say. But the key thing is that either of these 3 teams, T&T can beat at home and at least fight for a point on the road.

Group C - Tough group to call again,I dont see a definite winner. I honestly do not see Cuba making it out though, but like Group A, any of the other 3 teams can make it. Again the key point is - T&T can beat any of Honduras, Panama or Canada at home and be competitive on the road.

So far, we can compete against 3 out of 4 teams in the final round, I will take my chances against any of them (we all know we will be lucky to split the US games)....

So that leaves Group B - Mexico will win this group most likely, they are and have been in fine form last couple years. Their coach has built a 22 man squad that is an excellent unit. By far the best team in the region. But Mexico has a slight penchant for inconsistency, but I feel they are a definite lock for coming out this group. El Salvador is a beacon of inconsistency (like T&T), one day they look like CONCACAF powerhouses beating small teams to a pulp, next day they are put in their place. Personally, I rate 2 countries in Central America where I think T&T has a chance on the road - El Salvador and Panama. In 2010 WCQ we got 4pts from El Salvador, it should have been 6 except for the meltdown in the first game. So that brings us to Costa Rica. T&T has never matched up good vs COsta Rica, ever! Heck, we even lucky to draw. We can forget about beating them in San Jose....But to be honest, we do not need to actually do that... Costa Rica is also known for some surprising let downs against other central american teams, nothing is a given with them in their games vs Mexico and El Salvador. Its all about the matchup. So as much as we cheer for T&T, we will have to be cheering for whoever is playing Costa Rica. They are our big threat to the final Hex. If we can beat them at home, or avoid defeat, thats not that bad to be honest. It might sound ridiculous, but I can easier see us beating Mexico at home than Costa Rica, its just the way we match up against them.

Make no doubt about it, the semi-final round is gonna be our toughest round since 98 qualifiers when we had Costa Rica and USA  in that group and we finish with 1 point after 6 games. But I cannot stress enough, we matchup very poorly against the US either home or away and much better vs Mexico in Trinidad.
The real prize will come if we manage to get out the Semi-final round, as the Hex will theoretically feature Mexico, USA, plus 3 other teams I would consider easier than costa rica for Trinidad to match up against.
I like those chances to be honest.
Can you imagine a scenario with T&T playing Jamaica, Panama and Guatemala for 1 and a half automatic spots??
Even more attarcative is the fact that we do not need to worry about the South American giants, as the 4th place CONCACAF team will play New Zealand. So making it to the HEX, I like our chances a great deal.

The problem as I see it is Costa Rica...and ourselves.

We need to get our house in order. Been around for too many campaigns to judge T&T from too early. All we need is some chemistry, good gameplans and a forward who goes on a run and we can reach far. We are our own worse enemy in this case.But these early qualifiers is a blessing. We actually playing games.

Once we qualify next month, there should be a small task force set up to figure out how to get past Costa Rica as well. Another key thing is momentum- T&T traditionally does well when we start of good, and poorly when we lose the first game. Hopefully we get El Salvador first in the semifinal round.

Once we can get out that semi group, I think we will do well in 2013....

So, not looking past Guyana too much, but the way I see it Costa Rica and T&T - the 2 big hurdles in the way of seeing T&T in Brazil 2014.....

I like it too baddd....this is ah very sensible post...not too pssimistic, nor optimistic...sense! :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Raul

• Full Warrior
  • ¡Hala Madrid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 04:32:56 PM »
Remember Jack not there to negotiate a last round home game versus a weakened Mexico team...

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 05:55:27 PM »
 :beermug:
Good post Trini.  This is one of the best chances for us to qualify.  The teams outside US and Mexico are beatable.  While this campaign may have one of the weaker TnT teams in the past 30 years we are still a formidable opponent and can never be viewed as a walkover.  Other Concacaf teams will be weary of facing us especially with Otto at the helm.  Remember our best and strongest squads didn't make world cups, this one just might.

we called warriors for a reason  :challenge:
whey boy!

1]; } ?>