April 17, 2024, 08:01:44 PM

Author Topic: T&T is World's Best Tourist Destination (36 Hours: Trinidad)  (Read 5797 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T is World's Best Tourist Destination (36 Hours: Trinidad)
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
By Keino Swamber keino.swamber@trinidadexpress.com

TRINIDAD and Tobago has been voted the World's Best Tourist Destination for 2012 and has also been declared the Favourite Cultural Destination in 2012.

The announcement was made on October 9 when tourism organisations from 27 European Union member states voted unanimously during the Autumn Meeting of the European Union Council on Tourism and Trade in Bucharest, Romania.

The designation of the World's Best Tourist Destination is the highest honour to be awarded for a country's achievements in tourism.

A four-member team from the European Council, led by the Minister of Energy of Romania and the Council Vice-President, arrived in Trinidad on Saturday to present the award to the Government and People of Trinidad and Tobago.

In a statement yesterday, Minister of Tourism, Dr Rupert Griffith, said he received the news on October 10.

"We are, actually, the first country in the Western Hemisphere to receive such an award," Griffith said.

"I was also honoured and humbled to be inducted (on Sunday) as an honorary member of the European Union Tourism Academy. All of this augurs well for Trinidad and Tobago as we strive to brand Trinidad and Tobago as a premier destination in the Caribbean region."

The Best Tourist Destination award is offered to countries that have complied with the United Nations Tourism Division, UNESCO and the European Union on Tourism and Trade's principles "on fair tourism, ethical tourism and safety standards and the historic preservation of cultural sites".

On the debate for the award, Dr Anton Caragea, president of the European Union Council on Tourism and Trade (EUCTT), presented a report titled: "Trinidad and Tobago — A Success Story in Tourism".

Among the reasons for the award of World's Best Tourist Destination for 2012 to Trinidad and Tobago, Caragea highlighted the respect for cultural patrimony and traditions "in offering to tourists a possibility to participate in impressive paraphernalia festivals such as Holi, Hosay, Divali, Corpus Christi, Eid-ul-Fitr, Tobago Heritage Festival, Tobago Fest and Trinidad's greatest show on earth (Carnival)".

T&T's dedication to the protection of the environment, especially along the east coast, the wetlands, beaches and ecological and geographical biodiversity was also hailed.

Caragea also praised the range of activities which include wildlife photography in places such as El Tucuche Reserve, Valencia Wildlife Sanctuary, Caroni Bird Sanctuary, cave exploration at Gasparee Caves, cycling and hiking at Argyle Waterfall and kayaking at Paria Bay and Tobago.

The EUCTT was established in 2005 and its member countries include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Spain and Sweden among others.

The award has previously been presented to Syria in 2007, Turkey in 2008, United Arab Emirates in 2009 and the Republic of Korea (South Korea) in 2010.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:17:51 PM by Flex »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T is World's Best Tourist Destination
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:18 AM »
Back in Trini...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:30 AM »
OK, then.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
wow, im surprised  :o

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
Stupes!!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
Ah hope they arrive before curfew to present that plaque to de people.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »

Yuh guvamnet wukking.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
absolute shit...

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
An old site but.......

http://www.oneorchid.com/

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »
COME AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL LAND...make sure to ignore our terrible customer service as they don't know any better. Pay for a security detail to take you around...just to be safe. And don't forget we have a curfew, so make sure to get back back in to your accomodation before 11PM.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
absolute shit...

Previous winners of this prestigious award were:

2010 - Republic of Korea
2009 - United Arab Emirates
2008 - Turkey
2007 - Arab Republic of Syria

All on my "top 5 places to see before I die" list  ::)

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »
Boss Turkey, and korea is bomb places..real nice...UAE ok but me eh like dey

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »
TnT beautiful...instead of knocking it be proud nuh...
yeah de curfew on, yeah service not the best at KFC but....the land is beautiful and if you never see it, you missing out, it deserves it spot as the World's Best Tourist and Cultural Destination.  People there still friendly, and nice and you see all races and religions exposing their own bit of culture with Trinbagonian flavour.  If you forget the politics, TnT is #1

Congrats TnT, stay beautiful.
 :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:02:53 PM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »
COME AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL LAND...make sure to ignore our terrible customer service as they don't know any better. Pay for a security detail to take you around...just to be safe. And don't forget we have a curfew, so make sure to get back back in to your accomodation before 11PM.
Golden gun, ah hate tuh agree wid yuh, but yuh on point here. customer service in T&T and barbados is the worst i've ever seen in all my yrs of traveling, even the arabs have more diplomacy.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »
# 24.....? Cavendish Beach, Prince Edward Island, Canada, I firmly disagree, I was there 2 wks ago, and for me it does not make the cut.  Sand Beach, Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, Maine should have been included to that list.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:19:25 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »
yeah de curfew on, yeah service not the best at KFC but....the land is beautiful and if you never see it, you missing out, it deserves it spot as the World's Best Tourist and Cultural Destination.  People there still friendly, and nice and you see all races and religions exposing their own bit of culture with Trinbagonian flavour.  If you forget the politics, TnT is #1

Breds, i iza trinidadian so i have no reason to be bias, i've been livin in america quater century now, i came to america when the place had ah lil customer service left in de tank, but now the standard has dropped dramatically, so believe me when i say that customer service here in NYC suck big toe, and NYC customer service will put trinidad customer service tuh shame ten times over, that's how mdfkn lousy trinidad customer service is.

last i was there i was upset with eevry establishment i ventured into, from the double stand to the check in counter @ CAL, and when i tell yuh fardder, the ppl suck suck suck in every aspect of courtesy and respect, i doh know what de fack they taught these ppl since i left, but customer service regressed real bad sah, take an outsider's opinion for it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:25:08 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
take back dis frickin award oui..did some readin on dey flimsy website and lets just say..well i wouldnt say..do allyuh own readin and come to yall conclusions

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Somebody pay a fee for dat award.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »
We must give this PP government an award for finding all different ways to mamaguy the people and most an them buying the :bs: hook, line & sinker!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »

Yuh guvamnet wukking.

my govt?  ::) in living in north america, last time i checked i didn't give a damn about the pp or pnm, i not a die hard like you and your crew

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »

Breds, i iza trinidadian so i have no reason to be bias, i've been livin in america quater century now, i came to america when the place had ah lil customer service left in de tank, but now the standard has dropped dramatically, so believe me when i say that customer service here in NYC suck big toe, and NYC customer service will put trinidad customer service tuh shame ten times over, that's how mdfkn lousy trinidad customer service is.

last i was there i was upset with eevry establishment i ventured into, from the double stand to the check in counter @ CAL, and when i tell yuh fardder, the ppl suck suck suck in every aspect of courtesy and respect, i doh know what de fack they taught these ppl since i left, but customer service regressed real bad sah, take an outsider's opinion for it.

it have zero customer service in TT, it have attitude and more stink attitude

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 07:02:53 AM »
Oh yeah, I meant to comment on this earlier.  When you read some of the criteria for giving the award I confused.  Example, heritage sites.....we does preserve dem thing??  Well we preserve some and leave others to rot and the latter happens more than the former.  Prime example the Magnificent 7 around the Savannah, President's house.  We don't have a culture of protecting these thing so I eh know how we win based on that for example.

Tourism is either dead or dying in Tobago.  We never had a good marketing plan for the destination, that coupled with the recession around the world made things worst.  The service sucks all around. 

I eh know nah.  Overall, this news raised my eyebrows....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 07:04:31 AM »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »
Allyuh aint glad for the free marketing?

Tourists might read this and actually come.

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »

My fren wnet to church in a foreign country and de priest tell de congregation to pray for countries and people that suffering from government oppression, and he name Libya, Somalia, Jamaica and Trinidad lol..people reading all right.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »

ah sure ahmenijad or rahmon or assad etc happy for d free marketing too..as far as i see dis organisation credibility is not taken seriously
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:12:31 PM by mukumsplau »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »

I seriously doubt that....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
For the record people...the European Union Council on Tourism and Trade is just some stupid lil website with no connection to any official European Union organisation.

I am amazed that TnT is getting so carried away wid dis nonsense.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
For the record people...the European Union Council on Tourism and Trade is just some stupid lil website with no connection to any official European Union organisation.

I am amazed that TnT is getting so carried away wid dis nonsense.

Trinis get carried away by all sorts of nonesense when they are ready hence why so many of them are supporting the current SOE!  :-[
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »
Errr....
Hart for president

1]; } ?>