April 26, 2024, 12:21:47 PM

Author Topic: Newsday Editorial calls for Warners resignation  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Newsday Editorial calls for Warners resignation
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:14:06 AM »
Jack’s red flag

Monday, October 17 2011

In light of last week’s damaging internationally broadcast video in which Works and Infrastructure Minister Jack Warner allegedly urged Caribbean Football Union (CFU) delegates at a CFU meeting on May 11 to accept gifts, Warner must either step down or have his Cabinet appointment revoked.

On at least five occasions in the past we have in Editorials called upon Warner to do the right thing and step down. Already he has insisted following on the broadcast of the video that he will not resign. If, however, he maintains his position and does not submit his resignation to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar within 24 hours then we, publicly, put to Persad-Bissessar that she must either demand that Warner resign or advise the President to revoke his appointment.

We note, for the record that under Section 77, subsection 3 : “A Minister other than the Prime Minister shall vacate his office – where his appointment is revoked by the President acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister.” And while we accept the provision under Trinidad and Tobago law that an accused person must be presumed innocent until proven guilty, nonetheless Warner’s voice in the video in which he reportedly urged the Caribbean Football Union delegates to accept gifts from then FIFA presidential candidate, Mohammed bin Hamman, is clear and unmistakable.

Interestingly, Warner’s reaction was not one of denial of the voice being his, but rather that the video had been doctored. Warner should step aside and if he wishes to he can seek to demonstrate that the video was tampered with. But he should not remain on as a Cabinet Minister while such a damning document exists virtually unchallenged.

While Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar advised media representatives on Thursday that she had referred the matter to the Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, after viewing the video and reading the associated transcripts “whether there is anything to be concerned about”, we hold that may not be enough. What does the Prime Minister mean, when after being questioned as to whether she continued to throw her full support behind Warner she replied: “I will await comments from the Attorney General”

The 1976 Republican Constitution of Trinidad and Tobago is silent on any input by the holder of the office of Attorney General with respect to a Prime Minister advising the President to revoke the appointment of a Minister. While we do not question the Prime Minister’s prerogative to seek the advice of the Attorney General in this or any matter we would have been more comfortable with a precedent being cited.

Nationals are entitled to be uncomfortable with the video’s contents and the negative international impact they can have. The situation has not been helped by Jack Warner’s tacitly dismissive statement that he was not resigning. He should and must step down.

He should be required to explain the position attributed to him in the video. It is a position, which we pointed to earlier, in which Warner was alleged to have urged Caribbean Football Union delegates to accept gifts from bin Hamman. Warner should see the importance of taking steps to have his name cleared of allegations that he urged the acceptance of these gifts.

Did these gifts not constitute millions of dollars which had been reportedly brought into this country without official authorisation, and clearly far in excess of what is allowed under Trinidad and Tobago’s Customs regulations? In the meantime, what steps have the Commissioner of Police taken to date following on the broadcast of the video? Has anyone been interviewed? The video has inferred that an action in conflict with the laws of Trinidad and Tobago, specifically as they relate to Customs regulations as well as the question of allegedly offering bribes. Has the Customs and Excise hierarchy initiated investigations into the alleged incident?

We insist that Warner must go. The red flag has been shown.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Newsday Editorial calls for Warners resignation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »
Red flag has been shown they mean red card.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »
When even a Partnership newspaper calling for him to go, is time to go.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »
When even a Partnership newspaper calling for him to go, is time to go.

Really?!!  :o

I guess it would be the same for the SOE then?!  :worried:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »
That's a whole other conversation better addressed on a non-football forum.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
Also in todays papers, Warner is saying that all road repairs must be done between 8pm-4am. This is a great initiative and makes so much sense.

The reason I mention this is because I feel that Warner could be so much better for this country. He would have been a superb Minister. However, his decision making regarding his personal situations have been, at best, ill conceived.

To survive in nthe cut throat world of politics, you must live a pristine life. Any involvement in controversy always casts shadows, even if you're innocent. Warners past controversies with TTFF and FIFa had already placed big question marks over his integrity.

Why then, did a man in his position become involved in the bin Hamman affair? Big mistakes were made. The CFU conference could have taken place anywhere in the Caribbean, so why bring it to T&T? Why even attend? He could have given many different reasons for not attending. His "suggestions" could have been relayed by his No 2. He should have distanced himself completely.

It also appears that the video tape recorded Warners attempts to contain the issue of bribery which was reported the day before. Again, he should not have even been there. Anyone else could have made that same speech in his absence.

I don't understand his motivation. He has said he doesn't want the FIFA presidency, just like he doesn't want the Prime Minister position. Warner likes to be the power behind the throne, a position normally taken to avoid public controversy. Yet we have seen time and again, that Warner cannot hide in the shadows, his ego is too big. Therefore, he's choosing to play in the wrong position.

The news has been full in the last few days of this story. Its bad for the government, its bad for UNC & PP, its bad for the nation. However, Warner still does not have the decency to step down, and his hypocracy in calling for St Cyr's resignation is stunning.

Yet nobody has jumped on the bigger issue. Tuesday will see Warners submittal of his affidavit stating why he should not be adjoined as a defendent to the SocaWarriors case. I don't know why journalists don't recognise the potential in this story. It is far more influential than the leaked video.

Warner will have to explain why he should not be made accountable for the missing millions that he was in sole control of. It was he who negotiated the bonus deal with the players. It was he who submitted an innaccurate spreadsheet to the players which has clear omissions. It was his resonsibility as Chairman of LOC2006 to collect and disperse funds. How can he not be joined to the case when Camps' affidavit clearly named Warner of being the man in charge and also accused him of not responding to constant requests from TTFF for full and final accounts and payment of surplus funds. 

And don't forget that the "near bankrupt" TTFF has to pay $4.2 million to the players this week too!

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »

He is raising red flags...so apt and appropriate.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »

He is raising red flags...so apt and appropriate.

I want 2 c d red card and his expulsion. Red flags is synonomous wit dat govt so thus he still around. I want 2 c  :yellowcard: :yellowcard: thus a red.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »
Jacko just to show them you are not confused about what color flag you waving just get the damn thing an wave. You know you want to wave the white flag but your pride is getting in the way.

I just want you to know this truth partner, I am wishing on a star that jail time follow you no matter where you are.

Can you feel it?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:16:31 AM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

1]; } ?>