April 28, 2024, 08:42:33 PM

Author Topic: Dutch duo in T&T World Cup quest  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dutch duo in T&T World Cup quest
« on: October 23, 2005, 03:04:57 PM »
Dutch duo in T&T World Cup quest
By Joel Bailey (Trinidad Newsday)

ASSISTANT coaches of the Trinidad and Tobago football team Whim Rijsbergen and Theo De Jong are back together again, seeking to repeat the moment in 1974 when they both participated in a FIFA World Cup, as well as winning the Dutch League and UEFA (European) Cup titles with their club Feyenoord.

This time around, the Dutch duo would not be partaking as players, but as coaches, once the national team can secure a spot in the 2006 World Cup finals, ironically, in Germany.

More than three decades ago, Rijsbergen, who played as a defender, and De Jong, who was a midfielder, were part of the Netherlands team that lost 2-1 to West Germany in the final, ranked by many as one of the best ever matches in the history of the World Cup.

The pair was drafted into the technical staff by Leo Beenhakker after his appointment as TT coach last April, with Rijsbergen having a hands-on role during team training sessions while De Jong has been regularly assigned with scouting duties of the team’s forthcoming opponents.

As is the case with their footballing duties, Rijsbergen and De Jong are a contrast off the field, with the 53-year-old Rijsbergen stocky and approachable while the powerfully-built 58-year-old De Jong is soft-spoken and shy.

Rijsbergen has described his stay in Trinidad thus far as "a very nice experience."

"We were surprised by the people, they’re very enthusiastic here," he added.

As a coach working with the national team, Rijsbergen was quick to point out that there is a big gap between the standard of the players who are involved in overseas clubs and those based here in TT.

"That’s why you see that every time we try to get most of the players from abroad because they play on a higher level," he conceded. "And that’s why it should be good if there was more time to get the mixture from the local guys and the professionals from abroad because then you’ll see that the guys from here would be getting better if they have the chance to play in a more frequent way with those guys.

"Because why do we bring those guys from abroad to exchange the experience from Dwight Yorke or Russell Latapy lately to make these local guys like Aurtis Whitley, Densil Theobald, Anton Pierre or David Atiba Charles better," Rijsbergen continued.

He is also concerned about the length of time it takes for the overseas-based pros to integrate with the local players ahead of international matches.

"That’s one of the biggest problems we have," he said. "There’s almost no time to work together.

"You’ve seen in the games we’ve played so far that there’s always a couple of days to work with these guys and that’s a pity because if (we) have more time then I think we would have (a better) chance to qualify.

Rijsbergen has had personal highs and lows of World Cup football, having represented his country in 1974 (in West Germany) and 1978 (in Argentina). But, as was the case in ’74, the Dutch were beaten by the hosts in the final four years later, 3-1 in extra time.

"As a player, I’ve been working with the best coaches in the world," said Rijsbergen. "For example, in Holland, with (Rinus) Michels, and when I was playing (with) New York Cosmos (in late 1970s) with Pele and (Franz) Beckenbauer. "We had some wonderful coaches like Hennes Weismiller from Germany and Professor (Dr Julio) Mazzei from Brazil. When I was playing in Holland together with Theo in Feyenoord we had some wonderful coaches from Yugoslavia.

"I’ve seen some wonderful coaches and when I retired, when I was 36, I started with the youth of Ajax when (Johann) Cruyff was the head coach," Rijsbergen continued. "I started as a youth coach because I think, if you want to become a coach, you have to understand the youth before you can start with the adults.

After working with a number of clubs in his homeland, Rijsbergen moved on to Universidad Catolica in Chile and was also based in Saudi Arabia before joining Beenhakker at Club America in Mexico.

"We had a good relation(ship) so that’s why we ended up working here," said Rijsbergen. "I’ve enjoyed every day so far."

Questioned about his job here with the national team, he replied, "that’s one of the things I like to do, travel and meet other people (who) are wonderful in these islands.

"There is some crime but we’re not involved in that kind of stuff," he affirmed. "The people are very friendly, the social part is nice but the players are willing to learn and it’s always nice to talk with the experienced players and see where we can get a positive result.

"I enjoy it so far and hopefully we can continue because that’s the goal."

De Jong, on the other hand, has described his time here as "okay." But, from a coach’s point of view, he thinks more work should have been done to develop the players in the local leagues so they can measure up to international standard.

"We were willing to train more with the local guys, with the players who have the possibility to play in the national team," he lamented. "We wanted to train once a week but (the clubs) don’t give us that opportunity to do this.

"And that’s why, at the end, with a group of players now we (have) maybe three (or) four on the national team," continued De Jong. "We were willing to try to improve these players in the local competition. We must get the opportunity from everybody."

Is it a give and take situation between the national team’s management and the clubs?

"We are willing, we are here," he avowed.

"We wanted to take this opportunity to give our experience from our level to bring to the players to try to get (them) better so that the gap between the England players and the local players here (can be) closer together. But okay, that’s a pity."

De Jong is contented with his role as the team’s scout and the experience he brings in that department.

"I (took) the job because we are three coaches and one has to do it," he stated.

"When I started to train as coach, I took up scouting and making (analysis) for my team," he continued. "I’m okay with this role. "I try to find the strong points of the opponents and weak points and we are talking this over," De Jong added. "We are trying to make tactics for when we play against those teams. I like it."

Looking back at his time as a coach, De Jong revealed, while he likes attacking football, he uses all the experiences and knowledge that he learnt from the tacticians he played under.

"I try to bring this over to my team and you take (what you learn) in your soccer career (and) experiences from (the coaches)," he said.

"These experiences I bring and I talk it over with Leo and Whim and then we decide what we can do with the team. So we are talking things over and Leo is making the decisions, how to do and what to do."

And De Jong has adapted nicely to the way of life here in Trinidad. "I like it here," he said. "Sometimes it’s too humid but it’s fairly okay."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch duo in T&T World Cup quest
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 03:11:43 PM »
an man still bawling bring this one from here an dat one from there

d people come to train man an pro league saying nah we cyar do dat every week  hopefully we go hav a lil time before germany to get sum really hard work in
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 03:13:43 PM »
De Jong, on the other hand, has described his time here as "okay." But, from a coach’s point of view, he thinks more work should have been done to develop the players in the local leagues so they can measure up to international standard.

"We were willing to train more with the local guys, with the players who have the possibility to play in the national team," he lamented. "We wanted to train once a week but (the clubs) don’t give us that opportunity to do this.

"And that’s why, at the end, with a group of players now we (have) maybe three (or) four on the national team," continued De Jong. "We were willing to try to improve these players in the local competition. We must get the opportunity from everybody."

Is it a give and take situation between the national team’s management and the clubs?

"We are willing, we are here," he avowed.

"We wanted to take this opportunity to give our experience from our level to bring to the players to try to get (them) better so that the gap between the England players and the local players here (can be) closer together. But okay, that’s a pity."

Very interesting.  So the poster who said the local clubs were not willing to release their players to the National team for training, even if it was just once a week, was CORRECT!

So for those who criticisin Leo & he assistants fuh bein in Holland and not preparing locally....ah hope allyuh see fuh allyuh self wha is de scenes now.

To be fair though....we should hear what de clubs have to say about this one....if they care to of course.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 03:17:07 PM »

once a week seems like it couldve worked, and been successful. i wonder why the clubs couldnt allow this since their players would get better, its only once a week, and the clubs for the most part have been great (especially in the early stages of wcq) of letting players train with the natl team.
Hart for president

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 03:19:32 PM »
I remember when leo had just came he was interested in having weekly camps an wat nut all a sudden that stopp!!

come on dexter skeene come on tt porleague u can do a lil better than that let the local warriors hav a fighting chance

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 04:03:56 PM »
Every coach home feel he is de best, and that he could make the difference.  Dem fellas stuck in they old ways and de players lacking that coaching experience that would let them get to the next level.  Ah keep saying that we only have two teams home that train and organize themselves on a professional level--Jabloteh and Connection.  The rest is only pro in name.  It would be a shame if the local teams and coaches don't tap into the expertise that we currently have at our disposal.  This is not only about making the World Cup; it's about setting our football up to be successful for the next 10-15 years.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 04:36:40 PM »
I also took from the article that it is Three experienced coaches/players who have worked with the best world.

They sit down and discuss as a group the strategy to be implemented.

TT will beat Bahrain and we will fully utilize these fellas expertise and wisdom in the months leading up to Germany.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 04:47:09 PM »
wow..so much experience and they still sound like students of the game.. Let's hope we can hold on to these fellas for a while, our youth will be in good hands. What a great find by Linc.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 05:26:07 PM »
I also heard that the coaches were also invited to view the senior teams sessions and the coaching methods used. As far as i was told ....none showed up.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »
if wat cowen says is true i wunder why this wud be so??

arnt these individuals interested in bettering tnt football

at least d tobago united coach cuda go dat side aint win a ting since ever :devil: :devil:

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 08:28:29 AM »
 Yuh see foolishness...These coaches wanted to develop PFl and the clubs blank them...Why ppl so backward ? That is why PFL does have a bad turn out and everybody does bad talk the league....Well i think they(the clubs) should have at least given it a trial period before turning it down..They should higher these men for National Junior sides U13,U15,U17,U20,U23... that might be good...Go T&T

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 09:04:19 AM »
it's a pity these local coaches should have been jumping the fence to look at a few sessions. 

Coaches in TT always felt they knew more than anyone else.  Nothing wrong with being open to something new.

1]; } ?>