March 28, 2024, 04:33:28 PM

Author Topic: T&T Women earn huge point against hosts Mexico  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Women earn huge point against hosts Mexico
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
T&T Women earn huge point against hosts Mexico
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

Trinidad and Tobago's Women football team put on a commendable showing to hold hosts Mexico to a 1-1 draw in their second game of the 2011 Pan American Games at the Omnilife Stadium on Thursday night.

Team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson put T&T ahead, shocking the home team when she was on spot to punish Mexico after a weak clearance from a left side cross by Kennya Corner allowed her to latch on and slot home with her right foot from close range in the 19th minute.

The goal led to the T&T players believing more in themselves and going on to putting up a courageous fight which forced Mexico to battle hard to earn the point.

The Mexicans were rewarded a penalty just before the break on a soft call by Cuban referee Irasema Aguilera who adjudged that Maribel Dominguez was brought own by Danielle Blair when television replays clearly showed that Dominguez fell over Blair who was already laying stomach flat on the floor.

Dominguez converted the penalty to level the scores. Before that Johnson almost doubled T&T's advantage when she pressured the Mexican defender and the advancing goalkeeper Cecilia Santiago but was a touch too short from stealing the ball from the custodian and possibly having the chance at an empty net.

Later in the second half, T&T had a fair shout at a penalty  denied when Cordner tried to push the ball past the advancing 'keeper but was sent sprawling to the surface.

The T&T team fought on and kept the Mexicans at bay as they went in desperate search of a second goal. The Mexican players protested everytime a T&T player was down on the ground either after a foul or to receive treatment.

T&T also converted another effort through midfielder Dernell Mascall but would consider themselves unfortunate to have the goal ruled offside as she connected and slotted home after Santiago failed to hold cleanly.

Ahkeela Mollon also had a good header narrowly missing the target in the 80th. Mexico had an injury time  effort from Monica Ocampo crashing against the crossbar.

But the final result was a well deserved one for the efforts of head coach Richard Hood, his staff and all the players.

Earlier on Thursday, Colombia defeated Chile and secured first place in Group A with six points and will face Mexico, with two points, in their third and final match.

Chile and Trinidad and Tobago have played one match and both sides need Colombia to beat Mexico to have a chance to advance.

Johnson was elated with the team's effort.

"We came here and we demonstrated that we are no push overs. It's huge for us to earn a point in this tournament against the home team," Johnson told TTFF Media.

"I am really happy for everyone in the team. We worked hard and we really gave a great effort out there tonight.  I think there is a lot we can build on from here," Johnson added.

The T&T Men’s team will face Mexico tonight from 8pm (9pm T&T Time).

Teams

México: 1.- Cecilia Santiago; 2.- Kenti Robles; 3.- Marlene Sandoval; 4.- Marie Ruiz; 5.- Aurora Miranda; 7.- Sandra Mayor (18.- Tanya Samarzich, 83’); 9.- Maribel Domínguez; 10.- Dinora Garza; 11.- Mónica Ocampo (6.- Monica Vergara, 10’) (15.- Rosario Saucedo, 72’); 13.- Marylin Díaz, 17.- Verónica Pérez.

Coach: Roberto Medina

Trinidad & Tobago: 1.- Kimika Forbes; 4.- Rhea Belgrave; 5.- Arin King; 7.- Dernell Mascall; 8.- Victoria Swift; 9.- Maylee Attin-Johnson; 10.- Tasha St Louis; 11.-Janine Francois (12.- Ahkeela Mollon, 46’); 14.- Karyn Forbes; 15.- Danielle Blair, 17.- Kennya Cordner (13.- Candace Edwards, 74’)

Coach: Richard Hood

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:29:44 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Women earn huge point against hosts Mexico
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:30:06 PM »
This is a really good result...and to think some people in the TTFF wanted to dismiss the head coach, Richard Hood, after the team failed to qualify for the final round of CONCACAF Qualifying for London 2012. Now they will be swarming to congratulate him and his team and to have some of the credit rub off on them - at least I think so. But then they don't really care about women's football so they may not even notice this result.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
Good result...but I have one question.

We in a intl tournament, and our uniform doh have a T&T flag, logo insignia, nuttin to indicate is we out there. That black uniform look like they buy it in Francis.

But apart from that...good showing, to score one and have it ruled out and collect a soft penalty (home call) this is an excellent result.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
You're correct touches. Reminds me of Jabloteh playing in CONCACAF CL without a club logo on their chest. For these reasons, and far more, people look upon us with scant regard (read contempt?). We done small, poor, from the weakest part of the footballing Americas, and have a bad political image. We can't afford to LOOK disorganized too boot. Agreed - the girls did a fantastic job against Mexico 'though...

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »
So a victory against Chile together with a Mexico loss  or tie with Colombia will see us through to the semis. :praying:
Or,we may still be in it if we earn  a tie with Chile together with a Mexican loss to Colombia...this will leave three teams on 2 points each  with Goal diff. coming in to play  :nailbiting:

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »

We in a intl tournament, and our uniform doh have a T&T flag, logo insignia, nuttin to indicate is we out there. That black uniform look like they buy it in Francis.

But apart from that...good showing, to score one and have it ruled out and collect a soft penalty (home call) this is an excellent result.
You're correct touches. Reminds me of Jabloteh playing in CONCACAF CL without a club logo on their chest. For these reasons, and far more, people look upon us with scant regard (read contempt?). We done small, poor, from the weakest part of the footballing Americas, and have a bad political image. We can't afford to LOOK disorganized too boot. Agreed - the girls did a fantastic job against Mexico 'though...

I know that at the end of the day, only the scoreline matters, but I was now coming to say the same thing about the uniforms. On the other hand, I eh no fashion expert, but I'll take that simple black kit over that thing Mexico has on anyday. To quote an old coach of mine, look good, feel good...feel good, play good.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »

I know that at the end of the day, only the scoreline matters, but I was now coming to say the same thing about the uniforms. On the other hand, I eh no fashion expert, but I'll take that simple black kit over that thing Mexico has on anyday. To quote an old coach of mine, look good, feel good...feel good, play good.

The Mexico kit giving me ah headache. Too much going on on that uniform.

Offline masterblaster

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »
So a victory against Chile together with a Mexico loss  or tie with Colombia will see us through to the semis. :praying:
Or,we may still be in it if we earn  a tie with Chile together with a Mexican loss to Colombia...this will leave three teams on 2 points each  with Goal diff. coming in to play  :nailbiting:
Columbia done top the group already...Watch dem play total tata in dat last game and GIFT Mexico (host country) d win!!!! Its unfortunate but dat's how it might play out....I hope not though!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »

Be careful, some folks here might accuse you of being PNM!!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
Proud of these female warriors. Real proud. I salute you all.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>