March 28, 2024, 06:44:30 AM

Author Topic: U-22s go for win with Pan-Am semi final spot at stake  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
U-22s go for win with Pan-Am semi final spot at stake
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
U-22s go for win with Pan-Am semi final spot at stake
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 22 footballers have a fair chance of advancing to the semi-finals of the 2011 Pan American Games when they go all out for a victory in their final group stage fixture against Uruguay at the Omnilife Stadium, Guadalajara from 10 am (11am T&T time) on Tuesday.

Following T&T’s 1-1 draw with Ecuador on Sunday, Uruguay were then battered 5-2 by Mexico which left them atop the table with seven points and  through to the next stage. The South Americans meantime are on three points and T&T on two. A win will send T&T through to the “semis”.

T&T head coach Angus Eve says his ‘Warriors’ will give everything they have on Tuesday.

“Nobody expected us to be here and from the crowd’s response you can see they are warming to us. The guys are playing good football and are not just fighting the game . We are putting the ball down and playing it around well.  We have everything to play for now especially with the result in the Mexico/Uruguay game. We are in with a chance of advancing if we can get the victory  against Uruguay and that is definitely what we  will be trying to achieve on Tuesday,” Eve told TTFF Media.

“I think the team is building  in terms of belief and understanding. Exactly what we came here to achieve is happening so far.”

Looking back at the 1-1 draw with Ecuador, he added “We were a bit tentative in the first half but we settled down and we really began to believe in ourselves and play a better game offensively in the second half. I wanted to play two up front because I thought Ecuador wasn’t that great defensively.  I thought that Jamal (gay) was winning all the headers and we needed someone nippy and sharp to run off him and that’s where the change came in and we got a goal from it that helped us to earn the point and stay alive in the competition.”

Midfielder Kevin Molino, who has been T&T’s most instrumental player in Guadalajara, is expecting a grueling contest against Uruguay, particularly as they also hold a chance of going through to the semi-finals.

“I think we have a great chance but the match will not be an easy one. But we have also shown that we can fight for a result and we just have to go there on Tuesday and fight and give it our all and hopefully things go our way and we can come away with a win,” Molino said.

“This tournament has been special for us in many ways so far because we have played good football and we are unbeaten so far. We are building towards the future and this experience here has been a very good one for us.”

Goalkeeper Andre Marchan has been solid between the uprights for T&T, showing maturity and shot stopping ability that has prevented T&T from conceding more than one a match. He put it down to a total team effort so far in Guadalajara.

“We are a real team, everyone for everyone. And when we are out there, we work for each other even when we are behind and need to pull ourselves up. The coaching staff has help up us prepare well we are giving the effort on the playing field. The defenders have done their share of the work and I have tried to do my best in goal to make sure we stay in the game,” Marchan said.

Marchan is one of the surviving members of the team that appeared at the 2009 FIFA Under 20 World Cup in Egypt as well as the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Cup alongside Molino, Micah Lewis, Marcus Joseph, captain Sheldon Bateau, Mekeil Williams and Jamal Gay while defenders Robert Primus, Uriah Bentick, Akeem Adams and Sean De Silva among others  have been involved and will be available for future selection. But those who did not gain from the past World Cups experience have also contributed towards the team’s showing in Guadalajara and the past CFU Olympic qualifying stage including the likes of striker Trevin Caesar, defenders Aquil Selby, Joel Russell and midfielder Jayson Joseph and Kareem Moses.

“All round the team is coming together well. We have guys with a good share of experience and then we have those who have come in and  worked hard toward to whole team effort and this is serving us well in the build up to the rest of the Olympic qualifiers,”  Eve stated.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-22s go for win with Pan-Am semi final spot at stake
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:02:20 AM »
I hope we dont lose an important lesson in the above narrative. Most of the players in this team were part of the under 17's and under 20's. Now that is how one builds for the future and build a national team.
 No quick fix but planning. I guess some credit must go to Lincoln Phillips.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »
I hope we dont lose an important lesson in the above narrative. Most of the players in this team were part of the under 17's and under 20's. Now that is how one builds for the future and build a national team.
Unfortunately half will drop out  because of we not having a good agent to help theese guys sell there talent ...  Also I saw sum talnt inthis team.. Jamal Gay this yute good I aint know why pull stones stern still in di national squad and this yute not getting a call up.. This yute guh have guyana dizzy.. di yute good.. Good crop of players we have here.. I am excited wid how dey are playing.
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Unfortunately half will drop out  because of we not having a good agent to help theese guys sell there talent ...  Also I saw sum talnt inthis team.. Jamal Gay this yute good I aint know why pull stones stern still in di national squad and this yute not getting a call up.. This yute guh have guyana dizzy.. di yute good.. Good crop of players we have here.. I am excited wid how dey are playing.
war

I've always thought this was not our most talented group but this group never gives up .. fairly tough.

1]; } ?>