June 16, 2024, 12:59:17 PM

Author Topic: Marathon & Road Running Thread (featuring T&T athletes at Home & Abroad)  (Read 33722 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
One a Week dominate Fusion Lite
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »
One a Week dominate Fusion Lite
Monday, April 13 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Organisers of Fusion hosted Fusion Lite on Saturday, a lead-up event to the ever popular Fusion race. One a Week Running and Multi-Sport club had a total of 22 teams taking part with each team having two persons.

The event was an adventure race which took the participants up and down steep hills and through a very tough trail. Fusion Lite attracted a good turnout of teams with the race starting and concluding at the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port-of-Spain.

One a Week won the event with Michael Honore and Ted John crossing the finish line first in a time of one hour, 43 minutes and 23 seconds.

The club also took third place with Kerry Springer and Cantius Thomas completing the race in one hour, 52 minutes and 42 seconds.

One a Week also boasted of having junior teams who completed the course in under three hours and they also won the prize for youngest participant.

With their great showing at this event, One a Week athletes are looking forward to taking top honours at the Fusion event in June.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nestle launches third health fair, 5K
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
Nutritionist: Reduce obesity rates, raise productivity
...as Nestle launches third health fair, 5K

By Andrew Gioannetti (T&T Guardian)
Published: Saturday, April 18, 2015

Various physical examinations, nutritionist advice and product giveaways will be among the attractions at this year’s third annual Nestle Health Fair and 5K, on May 2, during which the focus  will be on obesity, T&T’s most prevalent non-communicable disease (NCD).

Once again, the health fair and the start of the 5K will take place at the Grand Stand, Queen’s Park Savannah, where thousands are expected to gather.

The race, which runs off at 4 pm, will offer over $13,000 in cash prizes and organisers are hoping that over 2,500 runners challenge the 3.1 mile course. The health fair opens to the public at 2 pm. For the past two years, Nestle hosted the event with a specific theme, starting in 2013 with an emphasis on diabetes and  then last year with a focus on cancer/cancer related diseases, both of which, like obesity, are major public health concerns in this country.

But, while the handsome prizes are open to the top finishers, “it is not really a race; it is a participation,” said Francis Williams-Smith, one of the race organisers, who wants to see all participants cross the finish line.

Selma Hodge, a nutritionist at the T&T Association of Dietitians, gave the feature address during which she offered insight into obesity as it affects the lives of T&T citizens, privately and in the workplace.

Hodge reminded the gathering of a 2013 newspaper article, which quoted the Ministry of Health as saying that T&T, at the time, was ranked “the third fattest country in the world, behind Kuwait and the USA”.

Over the past couple years, T&T’s placement on the list of most obese nations has varied depending on the study and publication, but there is no disputing that those positions have consistently been among the worst.

Last year, this Government took out a $110 million loan from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) for the purpose of initiating programmes to prevent and control risk factors of chronic diseases among adults, as well as primary and secondary school students.

“Many were alarmed,” Hodge said in reference to the Ministry of Health’s assertions in 2013, adding, “The article shared that approximately 60 per cent of our population was overweight or obese, and that 30 per cent of children under the age of 15 were obese. And, this was linked to diet, particularly fast food.”

“We know too that overweight and obesity are linked to chronic diseases. Among them, diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. It is also now generally accepted that being obese affects productivity and can be an obstruction to achieving one’s professional goals.”

“Obesity is on the rise and can cause losses to both employer and employee,” she said. “Studies indicate that obese workers have higher absenteeism rates compared to healthier workers, a factor that directly affects productivity.”

On that note, Hodge encouraged companies to facilitate wellness programmes for their benefit and for the employees.

“Research done by Duke University in the US showed that the overweight and obese are more prone to work injuries, and take more sick days that their healthier counterparts.”

She suggested that companies assist in promoting the well-being of their employees in the workplace by: encouraging exercise-subsidized gym memberships or providing an exercise facility on the compound; providing doctors, nurses and dietitians for on-site clinics; offering financial or other incentives to encourage healthy behaviours; offering healthy meals/snacks; offering mental health programmes; offering weight loss/stress management programmes (cessation programmes for alcohol and tobacco); and creating awareness by using posters/leaflets in employee-centred areas.”

Hodge thanked the sponsor, Nestle for its foresight in reducing the added-sugar content in many of its products. On May 2, among other things, the heath fair will offer bone density testing, blood pressure, sugar levels, mammograms and eye examinations.

The booth holders include the Cancer Society, Family Planning Association, YMCA, the Diabetes Association of T&T, T&T Heart Foundation, the Ministry of Health and Optometrist Today.

Body mass index testing, nutrition and dietary consultations as well as Nestle product samples will also be available within the booths. Those who wish to register for the 5K can do so at any.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:58:26 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Reyes claims Pt Fortin 15K
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 06:02:37 AM »
Reyes claims Pt Fortin 15K
Story Created: Apr 26, 2015 at 8:53 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Cuba's Livan Reyes ran away from the entire field to win the Point Fortin Borough Day 15K Run and 7.5K Walk yesterday morning.

The event took place in the Borough as a part of their annual Borough Day celebrations, the 30-year-old crossed the line at Point Fortin Market Square in 49 minutes and five seconds. The event included over 300 runners, joggers and walkers.

The Cuban received the men's top prize of $2,500 as well as a trophy at the end of the race. Curtis Cox fought admirably throughout, but had to settle for second in 50:25, winning $2000. Kelvin Johnson received $1000 for his third place finish, clocking 51.08.

The age-category winners included Lionel Danrade in first with 52:29, Pamenos Ballantyne 53:19 and Jules La Rode finishing in third with 53:32 time.

Tonya Nero topped the women's division when she out ran her field in 56:56, miles ahead of her rivals, twin sisters from Guadeloupe, Christine Laurent of UWI St Augustine who finished in 1:00:12 and Christelle Laurent 1:01:51.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nero, Gooding are Duathlon champions
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 06:10:21 AM »
Nero, Gooding are Duathlon champions
Monday, April 27 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Gavyn Nero and Maria Gooding are the new Trinidad and Tobago Duathlon champions.

The duo completed the gruelling 10k run, 40k ride and 5k run at the Queen’s Park Savannah yesterday morning in a time of 2:03:27 and 2:50:13 in the male and female categories respectively.

Nero represented Team DPS while Gooding is from the Rainbow Warriors Triathlon Club.

Other finishers in the male division were Clarence Tobias - second in a time of 2:07:41 — and Raymond Ramcharan - third in a time of 2:10:21.

In the female category, Chloe Forbes from +one a week claimed second place. There were 15 participants in the standard distance. In the Junior Sprint event, Joshua Ho from Slipstream and Lilly Stauble from +one a week Multisport took the titles in times of 59:38 and 1:15:31 respectively.

The second and third place male finishers were Christian Gillette in a time of 1:05:59 and Hayden Reid in a time of 1:09:22.

The female second place went to Cailin Bell in a time of 1:32:03 and her sister Pascale Bell took third in a time of 1:36:57. The sprint distance drew 113 participants, most of which were age group athletes.

+one a week cleaned up the two main relay sprint events with first, second and third place. The first place relay team was made up of Ted John (runner) and David Tardieu, second place Jamel Martinez and Jymes Bridges and third place was made up of Joseph Tomlinson and Linford Blackwood.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:14:04 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
O’Neal, Russell capture one lap CariFin event
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »
O’Neal, Russell capture one lap CariFin event
Published: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Ryan O’Neal, winner of the CariFin Games One Lap event at
the Queen’s Park Savannah on Wednesday.

Ryan O’Neal and Susan Russell won the men’s one lap and women’s one lap events respectively when the CariFin One Lap Savannah Event took place at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain, on Wednesday.

O’Neal of Guardian Group couldn’t ask for a better opening event. As a first timer in the CariFin Games, he headed out of the main pack and when he got into stride no one was able to stay within striking distance. O’Neal crossed the finish line in 14 minutes and 28 seconds (14.28), improving on last year’s winning time.

Jedidiah Benjamin won last year in 15:07, but had to settle for third place on this occasion in 15:56. O’Neal was happy with his win saying, “It felt good winning but it wasn’t anticipated, my team captain (Joella Richardson-Griffith) motivated me. It was a fantastic experience, also being my first time in CariFin Games.”

John Donaldson, who finished second in 15:12, felt that the time he took to navigate through the mass of people at the start would have cost valuable time. After the race Donaldson stated: “I felt a little bit disappointed because I got caught badly in the pack, I don’t know how I would of done exactly. I am looking forward to the Chancellor and Sevilla Cross country, because these have more pace from the start.”

Among the women, Russell of RBC won comfortably in 17:41, finishing 22nd overall. Russell gave kudos to her club the T&T Road Runners Club. Russell finished ahead of Sagicor’s Adona Joseph in 18.19 and Jillette Landeau of team Guardian Group in 18.44.

In the women’s walking category, Aliyah Henry representing Republic Bank showed that she had the will, passion and determination returning after winning this race last year. Tessa Weekes of Republic Bank was second in 27:12, while Gillian Ince-Williams of Guardian Group was third in 28:39.

Deodath Harrikissoon of First Citizens made it four in a row in the men’s walk. Harrikissoon who won in 23.28 said, “It was an overwhelming feeling winning for yet another year making it four in a row.” Clem Jubrasingh of RBC followed in second place in a time of 23.32, and Christopher Reid of Guardian Group in 24.49.

The sponsors of the CariFin Games include Bluewaters, Subway, Brixel Design Studio, Unicom, Lezama Electrical, TATEC Limited and Topmark Limited.

The nine teams participating in CariFin Games this year are First Citizens, Grace Kennedy, Guardian Group, IBL Bank, Republic Bank, RBC, Sagicor, Scotiabank and Unit Trust Corporation. The next event of the CariFin Games is the sand track one-mile event at the Queen’s Park Savannah, from 5 pm, tomorrow.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
O’Neal takes early honours in CariFin Games
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
O’Neal takes early honours in CariFin Games
Story Created: Apr 27, 2015 at 9:44 PM ECT (T&T Express)

The Guardian Group’s Ryan O’Neal approaches the finish line of the 2015 Carifin One-Lap Savannah event last week in a time of 14 minutes and 28 seconds

Ryan O’Neal of Guardian Group made a strong debut in the CariFin Games as he emerged the first leg leader after the completion of the CariFin Games One Lap Savannah event last week.

O’Neal headed out of the main pack and when he got into stride, no one was able to stay within striking distance. His was a solo effort to the finish line which he crossed in 14 minutes 28 seconds. It was a huge improvement over the 2014 winning time of 15.07 achieved by Jedidiah Benjamin of RBC, who finished third in this year’s edition in 15.56.

Defending cross country champion John Donaldson was second in 15:12 after he encountered trouble at the start by getting stuck in the pack.

“It felt good winning but it wasn’t anticipated, my team captain (Joella Richardson-Griffith) motivated me. It was a fantastic experience, also being my first time in CariFin Games,” O’Neal said.

“I felt a little bit disappointed because I got caught badly in the pack, I don’t know how I would of done exactly, I am looking forward to the Chancellor and Sevilla Cross country, because these have more pace from the start,” Donaldson reasoned about his failure to get closer to O’Neal.

Close to 1,000 participants, comprising walkers and runners, sped off in this race.

Ephraim Serrette, president of the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) of Trinidad and Tobago, said that, “other industries should have similar events promoting health and fitness among their members”.

On the women’s side RBC’s Susan Russell, the 2014 Carifin cross country champion, completed the course in 17.47 ahead of Sagicor’s Adona Joseph in 18.19 and Jillette Landeau of team Guardian Group in 18.44 filling 3rd spot.

“My competition was not with the group of women, but more in terms of my personal times. I did a wonderful 17.47 but I was hoping to go below 18 minutes. Last year I did 19.05. Kudos to the team I train with, the Trinidad and Tobago Road Runners Club.” Russell said.

Deodath Harrikissoon of First Citizens made it four in a row, having not been beaten in any of the four stages for the last 3 years, and now taking the 1st race for 2015 in 23.28, taking on all newcomers on the day, and making light work of the course,

“It was an overwhelming feeling winning for yet another year making it four in a row.” he said.

Clem Jubrasingh of RBC followed in second place in a time of 23.32 and Christopher Reid of Guardian Group in 24.49.

Aliyah Henry, representing Republic Bank, showed that she had the will, passion and determination after winning the race in 2014 in a time of 25.46. She returned in 2015 to post her first win in the four-part series, clocking 26.58.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nero, Gooding new duathlon champs
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:14 AM »
Nero, Gooding new duathlon champs
By Sean Taylor sean.taylor@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created:  Apr 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Team DPS’ Gavyn Nero and Maria Gooding of Rainbow War­riors became the new Trini­dad and Tobago duathlon champions last Sunday.

They competed in a ten kilometre run, as well as a 40k ride and 5k run at the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port of Spain, with Nero finishing in two hours, three minutes and 27 seconds. Good­ing completed her event in 2:50:13 in the female category.

Clarence Tobias was the nea­rest finisher in Nero’s division, crossing the line in 2:07:41 while Raymond Ramcharan followed three minutes behind in third, with 2:10:21. Chloe Forbes from Plus One a Week Multisport finished second.

The junior sprint event featured Joshua Ho from Slipstream and Plus One a Week Multi­sport’s Lilly Stauble, with 59:38 and 1:15:31 times respectively.

Christian Gillette placed second with 1:05:59 while Hayden Reid rounded off the top three, clocking 1:09:22.

Cailin and Pascale Bell fin­ished second and third in the girl’s division. The sisters stopped the clock at 1:32:03 and 1:36:57. The race had 113 parti­cipants, most of who were age-group athletes.

Plus One a Week dominated the two-man relay event, completing a clean sweep of the top three. Ted John and David Tardieu placed first, followed by Jamel Martinez and Jymes Bridges while rounding up the dominant performance were Joseph Tomlinson and Linford Blackwood.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
O’Neal, Russell earn CariFin one-lap victory
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
O’Neal, Russell earn CariFin one-lap victory
Wednesday, April 29 2015 (T&T Newsday)

RYAN O’NEAL and Susan Russell emerged as the male and female winners, as the CariFin One Lap Savannah Race at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain.

O’Neal, of Guardian Group, could not ask for a better opening event, as a first timer in the CariFin Games.

He headed out of the main pack and when he got into stride no one was able to stay within striking distance.

O’Neal crossed finish line in a time of 14 minutes 28 seconds.

“It felt good winning but it wasn’t anticipated. ”My team captain (Joella Richardson-Griffith) motivated me,” said O’Neal, in a media release.

“It was a fantastic experience, also being my first time in CariFin Games.

John Donaldson, the 2014 cross champ, was runner-up in 15 minutes 12 seconds.

Susan Russell took the women category in a good time.

She said, “My competition was not with the group of women, but more in terms of my personal times. I did a wonderful 17.47; I was hoping to go below 18 minutes.

“Last year I did 19.05. Kudos to the team I train with, the Trinidad and Tobago Road Runners Club.”

These were the happy expressions of RBC’s Russell, who was scoring a repeat of last year’s feat.

Russell was best performer over the athletic events at the CariFin Games.

Following her home was Sagicor’s Adona Joseph in 18.19 and Jillette Landeau of Guardian Group in 18.44.

Deodath Harrikissoon of First Citizens made it four in a row, having not been beaten in any of the four stages for the last three years, and now taking the first race for 2015 in 23.28, taking on all newcomers on the day, and making light work of the course.

He said, “it was an overwhelming feeling winning for yet another year making it four in a row.”

Clem Jubrasingh of RBC was second in 23.32 and Christopher Reid of Guardian Group was next in 24.49.

Aliyah Henry representing Republic Bank showed that she had the will, passion and determination returning after winning this race in 2014, in a time of 25.46 but only able to make it to the third stage (Chancellor Challenge), having to quit after completing 95 percent of the Chancellor hill after an injury she sustained.

She returned this year and has registered her first win in the four-part series in a time of 26.58. The series culminates at Sevilla Golf course in Couva with the famed Sevilla cross country race.

The next event today will be the CariFin one-mile on the sand track.

The organisers have expressed their gratitude to the various sponsors, Blue Waters, Subway, Brixel Design Studio, Unicom, Lezama Electrical, TATEC Limited and Topmark Limited.

The nine teams participating in CariFin Games this year are - First Citizens, Grace Kennedy, Guardian Group, IBL Bank, Republic Bank, RBC, Sagicor, Scotiabank and Unit Trust Corporation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:58:02 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nero, Reyes win Nestle 5K
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
Nero, Reyes win Nestle 5K
Monday, May 4 2015 (T&T Newsday)

National female distance runner, Tonya Nero, powered to victory in the 2015 Nestle Health Fair and 5K event which ran off around the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain, on Saturday.

Nero, who currently holds the National record in the 5,000m and 10,000m events, strolled to a comfortable win in 18 minutes, 12 seconds ahead of a packed field of competitors and enthusiasts who came out in support of the health initiative. She beat to the line eventual runner-up Christelle Laurent (18:54.98) and third placed finisher Christiana Laurent (19:15.21) respectively.

In the male division, Livan Luque Reyes captured top honours as he maintained a quick pace to win in a golden time of 14:22.22, over two minutes ahead of the next finisher. There was no competition for Reyes who blew away the field which included silver medallist George Smith (16:43.30) and bronze receiver Collin Perreira (16:46.71).

And in the Disabled division, a category specially catering for physically challenged participants, Justin Garcia crossed the finish line in first place. Following the 5K, participants went straight into a “cool down” aerobics segment. Prizes from hosts Nestle and sponsors Young Men Christian Association (YMCA) and Guardian Life were then distributed to the event’s winners.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:22:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nero wins Nestle 5k
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 07:56:12 PM »
Nero wins Nestle 5k
Story Created: May 5, 2015 at 7:46 PM ECT (T&T Express)

EASY WIN: Tonya Nero

National female distance runner,Tonya Nero, cruised victory in the 2015 Nestle Health Fair and 5K event staged around the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port of Spain, last Saturday.

Nero, the current holder of the national record in the 5,000m and 10,000m events, strode to a comfortable win in 18 minutes and 12 seconds, ahead of a packed field of competitors and enthusiasts who came out in support of the health initiative.

Christelle Laurent secured second-place in 18:54.98 with third-placed finisher Christiana Laurent clocking 19:15.21.

In the male division, Livan Luque Reyes captured top honours as he outpaced the field in 14:22.22, over two minutes ahead of runner-up, George Smith (16:43.30), while Collin Perreira (16:46.71) copped bronze.

And in the disabled division, a category specially catering for physically challenged participants, Justin Garcia crossed the finish line in first place.

Following the 5K, participants went straight into a “cool down” aerobics segment. Prizes from hosts Nestle and sponsors Young Men Christian Association (YMCA) and Guardian Life were then distributed to the event’s winners.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CariFin Games continue at Savannah
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 05:56:35 AM »
CariFin Games continue at Savannah
Tuesday, May 12 2015 (T&T Newsday)

THE CARIFIN Games continue tomorrow with an aerobics burnout opposite TGI’s, Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain at 5 pm.

This is the fourth competitive event of the Games, featuring the best of the financial sector coming together to see who would take the aerobics title in both male and female categories. The CariFin Aerobics burnout has been one of the most exciting events in the Games as it naturally attract a lot of spectators.

Following tomorrow’s action, the next event on the schedule is the All Fours competition at Guardian Group, Westmoorings, on Saturday from 10 am.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart, McComie take Chancellor Challenge
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2015, 06:10:29 AM »
Hart, McComie take Chancellor Challenge
Story Created: May 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Top three: Chancellor Challenge winner Gina Hart, centre, is flanked by second placed Adona Joseph, right, and third placed Jilletta Landeau following the completion of the race last week on Lady Chancellor Hill.

Gina Hart was a surprise winner of the Chancellor Challenge, third stage of the athletics section of the CariFin Games competition among financial institutions last week.

Susan Russell had been favoured to complete a hat-trick of wins in the series, but it was Hart who came out on top in an event that featured close to 300 runners and walkers.

“I was extremely pleased with the results of the race, and to be able to represent the Guardian Group,” said Hart who completed the Challenge in 16 minutes, 06 seconds. “It is always rewarding when you see the results of hard training pay off. It gives you the motivation to keep on going,” added Hart.

The closest to Hart among the women in the last four years was Lee Hay of CITI, who did 18.41 to win. Hart headlined a very competitive women’s event, with Adona Joseph of Sagicor and Jilletta Landeau of the Guardian Group both finishing in 16:18 behind Hart. Their time was also better than any of the female winners of this event in the last four years.

Among the men, Ryan O’Neil of the Guardian Group was again the fastest, finishing in 13.22, giving him a lead of a whopping 56-second advantage over second placed Jenson Mc Comie. In third place was Jedidiah Benjamin who finished in 14.19. It was O’Neil’s third win of the series.

“It feels fantastic winning the third leg of the Urban Challenge,” O’Neil said. “It wasn’t an easy race as it was my first time running the Chancellor and I didn’t know what to expect. Congrats to Gina and all the other winners. I’m also proud of Team Guardian for doing well so far in the CariFin Games.”

On the walking side of things, Deodath Harrikissoon of First Citizens had no competition going up the hill, doing a time of 19.44, to finish ahead of Clem Jubrasingh 20:35, with Christopher Reid of Guardian Group in third with 21.15.

Meanwhile, Aliya Marisa Henry of Republic Bank stacked up another win among the women to make three out of three so far in the series.

Tessa Weeks of Republic Bank was second in 23.24, and Roxanne James-Wong, third in 24.58.

The fourth and final installment of the athletics series will be a cross country event on June 7 at the Sevilla Golf Course in Couva.

However, tomorrow, there will be the CariFin Aerobic Burnout opposite TGI around the Queen’s Park Savannah, starting at 5 p.m.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:17:15 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
O’Neal, Russell triumph at Green Mile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »
O’Neal, Russell triumph at Green Mile
Thursday, May 7 2015 (T&T Newsday)

THE EXCITEMENT and drama in CariFin Games continued with the Green Mile last Wednesday at the inside of the Sand Track in the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of- Spain.

CariFin fans and onlookers were in high anticipation and excitement for the start of the CariFin Games – Green Mile, the second event in the eight-event card.

Jedidiah Benjamin, the third-placed finisher at the One Lap Savannah race, had an early lead followed by three (3) Guardian Group runners including Ryan O’Neal, and John Donaldson of First Citizens.

This trend continued until the back straight about 300 metres away from the finish line when O’Neal asserted himself, and lead the onslaught to the finish line completing the one mile trip in five minutes 33 seconds.

A proud O’Neil said after the race, “my win is not an individual one but a team effort.”

Benjamin, who finished second in 5.54, said, “I felt better running the Green Mile, I changed my pace and I came second maybe for Chancellor I could come in firstt.”

Third place went to anther Guardian Group runner – Cubison Thorne in 6.01.

Susan Russell of RBC Bank felt a little disappointed with her 7.03 win, but the experience was awesome.

This is two out of four wins for her, as she maintains the leads and hope to have the lowest aggregate points over the four events which will ensure another year she is the top female athlete in the CariFin Games.

“Winning the Green Mile was unexpected. The terrain and the strong winds make it a more challenging than the 1-lap event, so it feels pretty good to come out at the front. My time could have been better, and this was another great learning experience,” she said.

Adona Joseph of Sagicor filled the second spot for yet another event in 7.19. And third place went to Jilleta Landeau of Guardian doing well for herself in 7.23.

The first two walkers had the same time on the clock (9.28) but eventually Jade Camps of Guardian Group was awarded victory with three-time champ Deodath Harrikissoon of First Citizens second. Clem Jubrasingh of RBC Bank finished strong in 9.36 for third spot.

Republic Bank – Aliya Marissa-Henry another repeat performer clinching first place in 11.0. She said, “winning the Green Mile was indeed a test of endurance as a shorter distance meant a quicker pace, not to mention the blanket of dust that was hurled at us by the relentless wind. All in all, the mission was accomplished.”

Roxanne James-Young followed home in second place with 11.44 on the clock, followed by Tessa Weeks of Republic Bank in 11.46.

Today will be the CariFin Chancellor Challenge on Lady Chancellor Hill.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Boatswain, Mahar win Atlantic 3k
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
Boatswain, Mahar win Atlantic 3k
Friday, May 8 2015 (T&T Newsday)

With a trio of challengers far behind him, 11-year-old Jemell Boatswain of Arima Boys Government crossed the finish line at 11:08.7 to win the 2015 edition of the Atlantic National Primary Schools 3K Road Race held last Friday at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar, Arima.

Approximately 103 children from 21 primary schools participated in the race, which is staged every year in one of the eight educational districts.

As the contestants raced along the streets of Malabar, a small group led by Jemell broke away early from the pack.

In a steady rhythm, Jemell kept a few paces ahead of three contenders from the Cumana Anglican team: Kevin Robinson, 11; Daveon Callender, 11; and Jaheim Blaze-Keller, 12.

At several times it looked as if the race could have gone to any of the four.

But at the ¾ mark, Jemell pulled away from the group.

With no sign of losing steam, he sped into the closing stretch and tirelessly glided onto the stadium’s running track and to victory. Despite cheers of encouragement from their coach and supporters, the three Cumana Anglican boys were unable to close the gap.

Kevin, Daveon and Jaheim trailed Jemell into the stadium at 11:22.5, 11:24.0 and 11:24.5 respectively, taking 2nd, 3rd and 4th place.

Christie Marie Mahar, 11, of Bon Air Government won the Girls Division, clocking 12:48.6.

Cassandra Joseph, 12, of Toco Anglican and Claudine Antoine, 12 of Las Lomas RC were 2nd and 3rd with 12:54.1 and 12:55.3 respectively. Cumana Anglican’s Roshana Singh took 4th place with 14:13.5 in the Under 15 category.

The National 3K Road Race is staged every year by the National Primary Schools Track and Field Association as the precursor to the season’s main event: the Atlantic National Primary Schools Track and Field Championships.

This year’s Championships get underway on May 20 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

This will be the 53rd edition of this event, which every year culminates the track and field programme of competition for primary schools.

Both the Road Race and the Championships are managed by the National Primary Schools Track and Field Association, with support from the Ministry of Education and sponsorship by LNG production company Atlantic.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
O’Neal runs away with CariFin honours again
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 12:03:30 AM »
O’Neal runs away with CariFin honours again
Saturday, May 9 2015 (T&T Newsday)

RYAN O’NEAL continued his winning ways in the 2015 CariFin Games on Wednesday, as he whipped the field of 167 runners to win the Chancellor Challenge, at the Lady Chancellor Hill, St Ann’s.

O’Neal, representing Guardian Group, captured gold in a time of 13 minutes and 22 seconds.

It was a tight battle for the silver medal, with Jenson McComie of Sagicor finishing with a time of 14 minutes 18 seconds, while Jedidiah Benjamin of RBC was one second behind in third spot.

Another Guardian Group entrant, Gina Hart, prevailed in the female division in 16 minutes and six seconds.

There was a tie for second place, with Adona Joseph of Sagicor and Jilletta Landeau of Guardian Group each clocking 16 minutes 18 seconds.

Deodath Harrikissoon defeated the bunch of 92 walkers to claim gold in a time of 19 minutes and 44 seconds. Harrikissoon, of First Citizens, was followed into second place by Clement Jubrasingh of RBC (20 minutes 35 seconds), while Christopher Reid of Guardian Group finished third in 21 minutes 15 seconds.

It was a one-two for Republic Bank in the female category, with Aliya Marisa Henry victorious in 22 minutes 50 seconds, while Tessa Weekes was next in 23 minutes 24 seconds. Third place went to Roxanne James-Wong of First Citizens who was timed in 24 minutes 58 seconds.

In total, nine teams featured in the competition - First Citizens, Grace Kennedy, Guardian Group, IBL Bank, Republic Bank, RBC, Sagicor, Scotiabank and Unit Trust Corporation.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:11:10 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Boatswain wins Schools 3K
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 12:20:15 AM »
Boatswain wins Schools 3K
Story Created:    May 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Making his move: Jemell Boatswain, right, of Arima Boys Government, breaks away from his closest contenders in the Atlantic National Primary Schools 3K Road Race. Behind him are left to right, Daveon Callender, Judah McEachnie,Kevin Robinson,and Tahir Edwards.

With a trio of challengers far behind him, 11 year old Jemell Boatswain of Arima Boys Government crossed the finish line after 11 minutes, 08.7 seconds to win the 2015 edition of the Atlantic National Primary Schools 3K road race held on May 1 at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

Some 103 children from 21 primary schools participated in the race, which is staged every year in one of the eight educational districts.

As the contestants raced along the streets of Malabar, a small group led by Boatswain broke away early from the pack.

In a steady rhythm, young Boastwain kept a few paces ahead of three contenders from the Cumana Anglican team: Kevin Robinson, 11; Daveon Callender, 11; and Jaheim Blaze-Keller, 12.

At several times, it looked as if the race could have gone to any of the four.

But at the three-quarter mark, Boatswain pulled away from the group. With no sign of losing steam, he sped into the closing stretch and glided onto the stadium’s running track and to victory.

Despite the cheers of their coach and supporters, the three Cumana Anglican boys were unable to close the gap. Robinson, Callender and Blaze-Keller trailed Boatswain into the stadium at 11:22.5, 11:24.0 and 11:24.5 respectively, taking second, third and fourth place.

Christie Marie Mahar, 11 of Bon Air Government won the Girls Division, clocking 12:48.6. Cassandra Joseph, 12, of Toco Anglican and Claudine Antoine, 12 of Las Lomas RC were second and third in12:54.1 and 12:55.3 respectively.

Cumana Anglican’s Roshana Singh took fourth place with 14:13.5 in the Under-15 category.

The National 3K Road Race is staged every year by the National Primary Schools Track and Field Association as the precursor to the season’s main event, the Atlantic National Primary Schools Track and Field Championships.

This year’s Championships get underway on Wednesday May 20 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. This will be the 53rd edition of this event, which every year culminates the track and field programme of competition for primary schools.

Both the road race and the Championships are managed by the National Primary Schools Track and Field Association, with support from the Ministry of Education and sponsorship by LNG production company Atlantic.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Holassie series continues Sunday
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 11:50:10 PM »
Holassie series continues Sunday
Published on May 14, 2015, 12:25 am AST (T&T Express)

T&T RECORD HOLDER: Ronnie Holassie

The 13-part Ronnie Holassie Road Race Series continues this weekend with the Ramadhar Ragoonath 3K Fun Walk and Run.

Part one, the Ronnie Holassie 5K, took place on March 30, in Cunaripo. Cuban Livan Reyes won the men’s race in 15:24.

First among the women was local road running queen, Tonya Nero, who completed the course in 17:45.

Part two, the Ragoonath 3K, starts at 3 p.m. on Sunday at Hart Road Recreation Ground, 5½-mile mark, Plum Mitan Road, and finishes at the Plum Mitan Presbyterian School.

Runners can pay the $10 registration fee at the start line, from 1 p.m. on race day, Prizes and refreshments will be given out after the race. Among the prizes on offer is a trophy for the school with the most finishers.

According to a press release, issued yesterday: “The main purposes of these races are to bring unity in the various villages, to sensitise all to the importance of physical fitness, and last but not least to scout for road and track running talent.

“Holassie came to prominence as a 16-year-old,” the release continued, “when he won the 10K organised by the T&T Marathon. He was a Carifta Games double gold medallist and went on to represent T&T at the 1996 Atlanta and 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Holassie holds the national and Anglo-Caribbean record for the marathon, 2:13:3, which he set at the 2001 Cleveland Marathon.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Butler Classics launched
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2015, 11:53:04 PM »
Butler Classics launched
Published on May 14, 2015, 12:24 am AST (T&T Express)

20K record holder: Tonya Nero

The 2015 Butler Classics running and walking races will take place on Labour Day, June 19.

On Monday, the Oilfields Workers’ Trade Union (OWTU), in conjunction with the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA), launched this year’s installment of the Butler Classics.

The Butler Classics running and walking races were first staged in 1981, and are now a mainstay of the annual Labour Day celebrations. The races have attracted top national and regional athletes, including Curtis Cox, Pamenos Balantyne and last year’s winner Kevin Johnson.

The 2015 edition of the Butler Classics is the first in partnership with the NAAA. Both the OWTU and the NAAA hope to broaden the scope of the Butler Classics to win the participation of international athletes and build a lasting relationship toward the development of road running in Trinidad and Tobago.

OWTU President General Ancel Roget will ceremoniously start the Butler Classics at the OWTU Paramount Building Headquarters, with the walking race beginning promptly at five a.m. and the 20K at 5.30.

The 20K will take runners through Duncan Village, La Romaine and on to the Mosquito Creek via Paria Suites. Racers will turn left at Oropouche Junction onto the Fyzabad Guapo Main Road, and finish at Charlie King Junction, Fyzabad. The children’s 5K races will begin at Jovan’s Shop in Oropouche and end at Charlie King Junction.

T&T’s road running queen, Tonya Nero is preparing for the Butler Classics 20K under the watchful eyes of her coach, Paul Voisin. Nero, who is hoping to represent the country at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is the female record holder in the Butler Classics 20K with her 2012 time of one hour, 15 minutes, 50 seconds.

For more information, contact OWTU’s Chief Education and Research Officer, Ozzi Warwick at 497-4923.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nero 5th in Guadeloupe Half-Marathon
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »
Nero 5th in Guadeloupe Half-Marathon
Published on May 18, 2015, 7:51 pm AST (T&T Express)

Tonya Nero

Tonya Nero finished fifth among the women in the Abymes Half Marathon, in Guadeloupe, on Saturday. The Trinidad and Tobago athlete completed the 13.1-mile course in one hour, 25 minutes, 16 seconds.

Ukraine's Svitlana Stanko topped the field in 1:19:07. Kenya's Caroline Kiptoo (1:20:44), Ethiopia's Chhaltu Bedo Bedo (1:23:27) and France's Corinne Herbreteau (1:23:40) finished second, third and fourth, respectively.

Burundi's Abraham Niyonkuru captured the men's title in 1:09:17. Nero is the national record holder in the women's half marathon with the 1:15:13 clocking she produced in finishing 27th at the 2012 IAAF World Half Marathon Championships, in Kavarna, Bulgaria.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:44:06 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Reyes, Regis top annual ECU 15k
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 01:15:42 PM »
Reyes, Regis top annual ECU 15k
Monday, May 18 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Athletes compete in the Eastern Credit Union 5K road race along the Priority Bus Route yesterday.
Author: JOVAN BARKLEY

Livan Luque Reyes captured his second local distance title for the month of May when he clinched victory in the Eastern Credit Union’s 27th Annual 15km Road Race which concluded at the hosts’ headquarters at La Joya Complex, St Joseph, yesterday.

The Cuban athlete completed the course in forty-nine minutes and six seconds (49:06), beating off veteran and national distance runner, Curtis Cox, who stopped the clock on 53:48. Lionel Dandrade held on to the bronze medal with 54:48.

Yesterday’s win for the in-form Reyes saw him continue his winning ways after topping the Nestle’s Health Fair and 5k event on May 3.

In the women’s equivalent, Christine Regis had a golden time of one hour and eight minutes (1:08.07). She beat to the line eventual runner-up Celine Lestrade (1:11.13) and bronze receiver Keisha Bowla-Hines. The Annual Road Race comprised of three races - 15k, a three-leg 15k relay and a 5k, all with a simultaneous start of 6.30 am at the Arima Velodrome and the St Mary’s Children Home respectively.

Selected results:

Men’s Open 15K - 1. Livan Luque Reyes 49:06; 2. Curtis Cox 53:48; 3. Lionel Dandrade 54:48.

Women’s Open 15K - 1. Christine Regis 1:08:07; 2. Celine Lestrade 1:11:13; 3. Keisha Bowla-Hines 1:25:04.

Physically Challenged 15K - 1. Kester Joseph 1:10:14; 2. Dwight Yearwood 1:56:41.

Masters (50 & over) Men’s 15K - 1. Stevenson Alexander 1:02:07; 2. Peter Ragoonanan 1:02:09; 3. Rajin Resal 1:12:34.

Masters (50 & over) Women’s 15K - 1. Rosamund Jolly 1:29:28; 2. Fidel Thomas 1:33:05; 3. Susannah Joefield 1:37:47.

Men’s Open 5K - 1. Jules la Rode 17:38; 2. Shayne Barran 18:32; 3. Junior Bristol 19:12.

Women’s Open 5K - 1. Samantha Shukla 20:13; 2. Shinia Francis 21:54; 3. April Francis 22:35.

Boys 12 & under 5K - 1. Joshua Hazzard 32:03; 2. Samuel Blache 33:09; 3. Darion Cunningham 33:45.

Girls 12 & under 5K - 1. Sheniah Punter 27:08; 2. Danielle Bailey 29:09; 3. Zanya Francis 30:02.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:28:02 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New Open 5k best for Marsden
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
New Open 5k best for Marsden
By Mark Pouchet (T&T Express)
Published on May 23, 2015, 8:52 pm AST

Tobago

The two-day event took place in the waters in Store Bay and Marlins' Marsden, who was the lone entrant in the event, clocked 54minutes and 48 seconds for the 5000m swim. It was another race under the belt for the 16-year-old who is preparing for the Men's 10k Marathon swim at the 2015 Pan American Games.

The other events were more keenly contested.

Marsden's teammate Nikoli Blackman claimed the Competitive 1500m event when he crossed the finish line in 19 minutes and 31 seconds ahead of Tobago YMCA's Malik Nelson (19:56) and Marquise Nelson (19:57). Marlins Bradley Beales (19:58) and Flying Fish's Anthony Martinez (24:55) rounded out the top five. The Japan-born Mariko Suzuki, representing Flying Fish Swim Club, was the top female in 48:19.

Blackman was also the top 12 and under competitor in the Competitive 2500m race when he was timed in 48:18.

The overall winner of the event was Juan Ortiz in 43:44 followed by Torpedoes' William Reyes 43:58 and Marlins Brandon Coombs (45:54).

On the developmental side, Ezekiel Wilson (10:38) of YMCA Tobago took the top prize in the 500m race ahead of Flying Fish Swim Club's Ronaldo Ayoung (15:35) and Tobago's Viren Ramrekersingh (17:45).

In the 100m Try Your First Open Water kids event on the first day, Joseph Fox stroked to victory in one minute and 27 seconds ahead of his brother Jacob Cox (1:40). Kaori Robley took third (1:47) while Shem Murray was fourth in 2:20.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CariFin stages Family Day on Sunday
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2015, 12:55:17 PM »
CariFin stages Family Day on Sunday
Published on Jun 3, 2015, 12:01 am AST (T&T Express)

The CariFin Cross Country and Family Day will take place at the Sevilla Golf Course, Couva, on Sunday from 10 am to 6 p.m

The cross-country race promotes health, fitness and dexterity as members of the various financial institutions will participate in the race.

Men will run three laps around the (2.2km) Sevilla Golf Course while the women will complete two laps.

Medals and cash prizes will be presented to the top ten finishers and a challenge trophy and replica will be awarded to the overall winner.

The organisation looks forward to a good turnout of athletes this year.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New course of Rainbow Cup
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
New course of Rainbow Cup
Published on Jun 3, 2015, 12:01 am AST (T&T Express)

AT THE FINISH: An athlete competes in last year’s edition of the Rainbow Cup.

A new race course for the Massy Rainbow Cup Fierce competition will be the order of the day at the 11th annual Massy Rainbow Cup Triathlon and 5km Run which will be held next week Saturday at the Turtle Beach Heritage Park, Tobago.

Jason Gooding, a nine-time national triathlon champion and Event Director, has been lobbying for a motor vehicle-free racecourse for a few years now since participation has been on the rise.
Race organisers have changed the course to make it more exciting, challenging and spectator friendly, as it incorporates the original Rainbow Cup course with the current location.
All of the day's events will be passing through the village of Black Rock as racers leave from the heritage park to ride and run towards Pleasant Prospect where they will turn right onto the Grafton Beach road before heading up to Black Rockagain.

Course maps can be found on the organisation's site www.rainbowcuptobago.com.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:08:39 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
International flavour for Massy Rainbow Cup
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2015, 11:15:36 PM »
International flavour for Massy Rainbow Cup
By JOEL BAILEY Saturday, June 6 2015 (T&T Newsday)

An athlete crosses the finish line at the 2014 Rainbow Cup in Tobago.

OVER 600 participants are expected to compete in the Massy-sponsored Rainbow Cup Triathlon competition, which will take place on June 13 at Turtle Beach, Tobago.

The event, which also serves as the National Olympic Distance Triathlon Championships, was launched yesterday morning at a media briefing, which took place at Massy Motors, Lady Young Road, Morvant.

Member of the Rainbow Cup Committee and veteran triathlete, Jason Gooding, when asked how many participants are likely to feature this year, replied, “just over 600.”

Thus far, he noted, “we still have a few (vacancies). We’re probably over 450.”

There will be action in a number of categories, starting at 7 am - Olympic Distance Triathlon, Sprint Distance Triathlon, Sprint Relay Triathlon, Open Water Swim, Youth Traithlon, Try-a-Tri Triathlon and 5-kilometre Fun Run/Walk.

The respective male and female winners in the Olympic Distance Triathlon will each get US$1,500 while the national champion (male and female) will each pocket $3,000.

The champions (male and female) in the Sprint Distance Triathlon will receive $2,000 apiece; the Sprint Distance Relay (open) and 5K Run (male and female) $1,200 apiece; and the Open Water Swim (male and female) $1,000 apiece.

Gaetan Fetaud of France, who captured the Olympic Distance crown last year, is expected to be defending his title this year.

Gooding remarked, “We have Christian Gillette who is in the Sprint Triathlon, we have Mark London (and) Matthew Chung from Tobago (in the Junior Triathlon), in the Internationals we have Jackson Laundry from Canada (and) Meghan Lamers from Canada.

“This year we have lots of participation from Germany, USA, Great Britain, Canada, Venezuela,” he added. “We have a guy from Egypt, we have a guy from Kazakhstan (and) we have a guy from Australia participating. It’s starting to be more of an international event.”

Gooding is also impressed with the reception the event is getting in the sister isle Tobago.

“People know about it,” he said. “They’re aware of it. We have some banners up, we’ve been giving out fliers and most people seem to know about it. It definitely has improved.”

He admitted, “When I went there (for) the first year, people couldn’t pronounce the word triathlon, to the point where they know about the event. They have their kids and grand-kids involved. Gooding is also heartened by the growth of the sport locally, particularly in terms of the involvement of children and teenagers.

“That’s where the growth of the sport is,” said Gooding. “The kids are only going to bring more kids to the event, (through) the ranks and get better and better. You never know if we’ll have an Olympic selection out of the kids that start the event from now.

“I think the (TT) Triathlon Federation is pushing a lot to make sure that we have kids events and they’re having Junior Championships (and) Junior Duathlon Championships,” he noted.

“We’re getting a lot of support from (schools) like St Joseph’s Convent. I think Fatima is trying to start a team. Dunross has a primary school team. Once it becomes mainstream and people know about it, there’ll be more and more kids involved and then you never know. We could have another Keshorn Walcott, but for triathlon.”

The sponsors for the event are Massy Group, Newsday, Odessey Timing, Beacon, Blue Waters, Tobago House of Assembly, Blink/bmobile, Subway, SportTT, Grafton Beach Resort, Baptist Health International, Alamo, Agility Sports, Cathelco, Command Performance, Renew and Gatorade.

And persons seeking additional information can call 784-4128, 632- 9004, send an e-mail to info@rainbowtri.com or log on to www.rainbowcuptobago.com.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:26:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CariFin Cross Country runs off today
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2015, 11:17:20 PM »
CariFin Cross Country runs off today
Published: Sunday, June 7, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Jiletta Landeau of Guardian Group will be among the favourites at the CariFin Cross Country event at Sevilla Golf Course in Couva, today. PHOTO COURTESY CARIFIN

The CariFin Games is onto its final stage as the Cross Country and Family Day takes place at the Sevilla Golf Course, Couva, from 10 am—6 pm, today. The day starts off with novelty events as participants are encouraged to display team work and mental agility with events such as sack relay, tug-o-war and maths relay.

The Cross Country race commences at 4.15 pm, promoting health, fitness and dexterity as members of the various financial institutions showcase their vim, vigour and tenacity as they partake in this race with their peers.

Men are required to do three laps around the 2.2km Sevilla Golf Course, while women must complete two laps of the course. Medals and cash prizes will be presented to the top ten finishers and a challenge trophy and replica will be awarded to the overall winner. Ryan O’Neil (Guardian Group), Susan Russell (RBC) and Jilleta Landeau (Guardian) are some of the front runners today.

A dance off segment is next on the activity filled programme as two couples from each institution are invited to participate to the combination of different genres of music. The highly anticipated Miss CariFin competition will also take place. In this event, a woman from each institution possessing the foundation values of CariFin - fun, fitness and friendship, persuades the judging panel that she is worthy of the fitness title.

The nine teams participating in CariFin Games this year are First Citizens, Grace Kennedy, Guardian Group, IBL Bank, Republic Bank, RBC, Sagicor, Scotiabank and Unit Trust Corporation.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Countdown on for Rainbow Cup Triathlon
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »
Countdown on for Rainbow Cup Triathlon
Friday, June 12 2015 (T&T Newsday)

THE STAGE is almost set for the start of this year’s 11th annual Massy Rainbow Cup Triathlon which runs, rides and swims off tomorrow at the scenic Heritage Park, Tobago.

Over 600 tri-athletes from all corners of the globe will converge at Turtle Beach from 7 am for the start of another exciting but gruelling event. The 2015 edition will feature a variety of competitive categories such as the famed Olympic Distance Triathlon, Sprint Distance Triathlon, Sprint Relay Triathlon, Open Water Swim, Youth Traithlon, Try-a-Tri Triathlon and 5-kilometre Fun Run/Walk.

Winners of the prime event — Olympic Distance Triathlon — will each get US$1,500 while the national champion (male and female) will each bag $3,000. Additionally, winners (male and female) in the Sprint Distance Triathlon will receive $2,000 apiece; the Sprint Distance Relay (open) and 5K Run (male and female) $1,200 each; and the Open Water Swim (male and female) $1,000 apiece.

This year however, race organisers have made changes to the course in a bid to make it more challenging and spectator-friendly. They have now included the original Rainbow Cup route with the event’s current location.

Every event scheduled will span through the village of Black Rock, as the athletes will start at Heritage Park to ride and run towards Pleasant Prospect, where they will turn right onto the Grafton Beach Road before once more heading up to Black Rock. Heading the list of contenders among the men for the Olympic Distance Triathlon is defending Rainbow Cup champion Gaetan Fetaud.

Sponsoring this year’s edition are Massy Group, Newsday, Odessey Timing, Beacon, Blue Waters, Tobago House of Assembly, Blink/bmobile, Subway, SportTT, Grafton Beach Resort, Baptist Health International, Alamo, Agility Sports, Cathelco, Command Performance, Renew and Gatorade.

VIDEO: Jason Gooding, Event Director of the 11th annual Rainbow Cup Triathlon and & 5K
Friday, 12 June 2015 (SportsCoreTobago.com)

VIDEO: Jason Gooding, Event Director of the 11th annual Rainbow Cup Triathlon and & 5K which is set for Saturday, 13th, June, 2015 at the Courland Beach Heritage, Park, Tobago from 7:00am.

Gooding on 2015 Rainbow Cup Triathlon
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1LEkQxl_CgY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1LEkQxl_CgY</a>

Check out Rainbow Warriors website for details: http://www.rainbowcuptobago.com/

Startlist: http://www.odesseytiming.com/printable_results/16145-15-06-13-rainbowcup-startlist.htm

Results: http://www.odesseytiming.com/

Live streaming: http://www.streamevents.tv/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:22:49 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CariFin Cross Country champs crowned
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »
CariFin Cross Country champs crowned
Saturday, June 13 2015 (T&T Newsday)

CariFin’s Cross Country champions were crowned on Sunday as fans congregated at the Sevilla Golf Course in Couva to see the athletes in action. When the race started, it sought to settle a number of scores; like who is the best overall runner and walker in the series, as well as the cross country team winners.

In the male cross country race Ryan O’Neil of Guardian Group who won the previous races in the series took command of the three-lap cross country race after about 400 metres as they entered the golf course. At the end of the first 2.2km lap, he had already opened up a 30 second gap which increased at the end of the 7.2km course. He eventually won in a time of 30 minutes and 30 seconds.

Kris Deonanan also of Guardian Group was in second position after the first lap but he was unable to sustain the pace and John Donaldson, the 2014 cross country champion, and Scotiabank’s Alvin Brown, a first timer, passed him to finish in 32.46 and 32.48 respectively.

O’Neil, after his fourth consecutive victory in the series, felt that his football fitness was what gave him the edge. Guardian Group copped the winning cross country team title of the combined time of their top three finishers (O’Neil, Kris Deonananan and Corey Joseph). Adona Joseph of Sagicor culminated a great CariFin season by crowning it off with the female cross country title. She had two second placings in the One Lap Savannah and the Green Mile and won the Chancellor Challenge and Aerobics Burnout. Joseph was able to claim victory easily in 25.41. Her closest competition came from Jillette Landeau of Guardian Group who was also a “Fusion” participant the day before and finished 1.25 minutes behind. Third place went to Simone Balkissoon of Guardian Group who completed the two-lap journey in 28.12. Vitra George of Sagicor took fourth place honours with a time of 28.58 and 5th spot went to Stacyann Jack of First Citizens who completed the race in 30.41.

In the walk, Deodath Harrikissoon of First Citizens rebounded from ‘Fusion’ to prevail in the 2.2km course. He completed the race in 18:51. In second place was Clem Jubrasingh of RBC Bank with a time of 19.44 and Christopher Reid of Guardian Group in 20.54 for third.

Among the female first timers, Christine Villafana representing Republic Bank impressed on the day by winning the walk in 20:52. Aliya Marisa Henry, unbeaten after three events in the series, had to take second place with a time of 20.58 while coworker Tessa Weeks was third.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TT athletes dominate Rainbow Cup Sprint
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
TT athletes dominate Rainbow Cup Sprint
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Sunday, June 14 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Triathletes get set to enter the waters for the first stage of the Massy Rainbow Cup event
yesterday at Turtle Beach, Tobago. Author: SPORTSCORE TOBAGO

Martinique’s Clement Briere was first to conquer the gruelling 11th Annual Massy Rainbow Cup International Triathlon Olympic Distance when the 2015 edition swam, rode and sprinted off along the sandy shores of Courland Bay Heritage Park, Turtle Beach, Tobago, early yesterday morning.

The 25 year-old Briere completed the challenging 1.5k swim/ 40k bike/ 10k run course in a time of two hours, six minutes and 47 seconds (2:06.47) to capture the US$1,500 prize. Trailing just under one minute behind was another international triathlete, Jackson Laundry (2:07.41) of Canada, who took home US$1,200. Venezuela’s Teylor Arboleda (2:13.36), who was first out the water in the first stage, faltered in the other disciplines but still finished in a credible third place overall to pocket US$ 1,000. Rounding off the top-five finishers were USA’s Ingmar Prokop (2:19.12) and Jamaica’s Phillip McCatty (2:20.45) respectively.

Following his victory, Briere, who speaks very little English, revealed that this was his inaugural showing at the Rainbow Triathlon and was pleased with the golden finish.

“It was great,” said Martinique’s tri-athlete. “The course was good but it was a bit hot to run in. This is my first time here and it was indeed a challenge. The hills posed the biggest obstacle for me.”

Meanwhile, Trinidad and Tobago’s first Olympic Distance finisher went to two-time and reigning Tobago Classic Mountain Bike winner, Jason Costelloe of Team Beacon. Costelloe clocked 2:29.04 and completed the course eighth overall. He finished just 20 seconds ahead of eventual red, white and black runner-up Justin Scott.

In the Women’s Division, Canadian Meghan Lamers (2:25.42) trumped the field with a mesmerising performance, and also staking claim to seventh place overall in the Olympic Distance. Receiving silver was German Aleandra Consten (2:30.10) while Bajan Elise Whitehouse (2:41.22) took bronze - the pair 10th and 16th overall. These top three females were rewarded with the same prizes as the males.

Additionally, 2014 Sprint Distance Triathlon runner-up Joshua Ho (TT) tasted sweet revenge this time around when he powered to victory in 1:08.17. The twin-islands were better represented in the shorter version as local Christian Gillette (1:08.51) trailed closely behind in runner-up position. Tobago-born athlete, Mark London was third in 1:12.16.

Ho, while joyous about his performance, admitted that he may not be defending his title next year. “The course was great. I know they changed it this year and the hills were the biggest challenge for me but I trained for them. I feel great knowing that I won this year but I’m unsure for next year because I may be furthering my studies in Australia. The removal of all vehicles from the course was a major help for all athletes and this made it much safer and better than last year,” he declared.

St Joseph’s Convent, Port-of-Spain, was also well represented by 15- year-old Lily Stauble, who powered to victory in the Women’s Sprint Distance. Stauble clocked 1:23.57, beating off a packed field of senior contenders. Taking silver in 1:26.40 was Tobagonian Dana Llanos followed by TT’s Lorca Gatcliffe-Farah (1:27.08).

Team bpTT was also in winning form as the trio of Dave Storer (UK)/ Truls Haugen (Norway)/ Celine Lestrade (TT) beat the field in the Team Relay Sprint Distance in 1:10.55. They held to the line silver medallists Hillview College (Jeron O’Brien, Isaiah Rodriguez, Shayne Barran) who clocked 1:12.42 and bronze receivers Team Starlight (Akeem Roberts, Phillip Clark, Ron Julien) 1:12.55.

Other highlighted participants on the day were Guardian Media Limited’s Nicholas Sabga and main sponsor, Massy’s executive member, Gervase Warner. Sabga would go on to win the male 30-39 Sprint Triathlon while Warner copped gold in the 50-59 group.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:31:36 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ho and Stauble take Rainbow Cup sprint triathlon titles
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »
Ho and Stauble take Rainbow Cup sprint triathlon titles
By Clayton Clarke (sportscoretobago@gmail.com)
Saturday , 13 June 2015 (SportsCoreTobago.com)

Joshua Ho wins the men’s Sprint Distance Triathlon. (Photo courtesy-SPORTS CORE TOBAGO)

Joshua Ho and Lily Stable were crowned winners in the Sprint Distance triathlon races at the 11th annual Massy Rainbow Cup at the Courland Heritage Park, Black Rock, Tobago earlier today (Saturday, 13 June).

Ho completed the men’s event (750m swim/20Km ride/5K run) in 1 hour 8 minutes and 17 seconds (1:08.17) to hold off early race leader Christian Gillette (1:08.51) and Mark London (1:12.16).  The Trinity College student had to come from behind to take the title as Gillette led after the swim  completing to the one lap of the circuit with his brother Andrew in second.

Ho was third but moved up into second in the eight lap bike ride before taking the lead in the third and final leg to improve on his second place finish from 2014. Gillette (Christian) and Ho were eager to get a big advantage on London  in the first two legs as London’s strength is in the final leg. London is a five time Carifta champion in the 800m 1500m and 3000m. London, who is from nearby Plymouth, was also third in 2014.  Andrew finished in ninth.

Lily Stauble celebrates after winning the Ladies Sprint Distance Triathlon.
(Photo courtesy-SPORTS CORE TOBAGO)

Stauble had an easier path to victory  in the ladies race as she was top spot coming out of water and was never headed. She went to to take the top prize in 1:23.57 ahead of Dana Llanos (1:26.40) and former T&T Miss World representative Lorca Gatcliffe-Farah (1:27.08). Stauble won the girls 13-15 Triathlon in 2014.

Clement Briere of Martinique captured the men’s Olympic Distance Triathlon.
(Photo courtesy-SPORTSCORE TOBAGO)

Martiniquan Clement Briere and Megan Lamers of Canada copped the Olympic Distance (1.5Km/40Km/10Km) disciplines. Briere won in 2:06.47 ahead of Canadian  Jackson Laundry (2:07.41) and Teylor Arbolea of Venezuela (2:13.36). 

Arbolea led after the swim, his strong event,  but overhauled by Brier and Laundry.  The Venezuelan was hoping to improve on his runner-up finish last year and especially as 2014 winner Gaetan Fetaud of France was unable to make the trip to Tobago.  Laundry’s compatriot Lamers took the ladies event in 2:25.42 from German born T&T resident Alexandra Consten (2:30.10) and Barbadian Elise Whitehouse (2:41.22). Costen was second in 2014 while Whitehouse was fourth. Celine Lestrade anchored BPTT to victory in the Sprint Distance Relay in 1:10.55. 

David Storer (7.5Km), Truls Haugen (20Km ride) and Lestrade (5K) run finished ahead of Hillview College (Jeron O’Brien, Isaiah Rodriguez, Shayne Barran) 1:12.42 and Team Starlight (Akeem Roberts, Phillip Clark, Ron Julien) 1:17.55. Chin Lee siblings (Emma, Renee and Kelly) were seventh in 1:24.17.

The Olympic and Sprint Triathlon events were the feature disciplines of the 11th annual Rainbow Cup which began at 7:00am. Competitors competed under the clear, blue sky but had to battle with the heat of the day as they rode and ran through Black Rock to Present Prospect and back.

Later in the day Arboleda returned to defend the open water 3000m title clocking 46.27 to beat out local swimmers Aleem Mohammed (48.05) and 14 year old Luke Gillette (50.26). Emma Chin Lee was the first female out of water and crossed the finish line (54.06). Emma  was fifth overall. Inga Karasek was the second female (1:06.47) with Chelsea Mohammed in third (1:06.52). Nikoli Blackman (26.48) and Cheyenne Cabral (28.01) secured the 1500m swim awards.

Jean-Mark Granderson won the boys title in the Kids 13-15 triathlon (375Km swim/10K ride/ 2.5K run) in 40.59 ahead of Akini Webster (44.04) and Darian Nimblett (44.26). Syndey Welch (48.57), Noa Sheppard (50.33) and Kirsten St. Omer (52.38) were the top girls.

The final event of the day, the 5K, attracted over 200 entrants. Lestrade ran away the women’s trophy in 21:13 ahead of Christy-ann Baptiste (23.11) and Leisl Puckerin (23.19). Kelvin Johnson of Guyana took the men’s version in (16:32) narrowly ahead of fellow Guyanese Lionel Dandrade (16.32) as the two sprinted across the line together. Forty-eight (48) year old Kade Sobers was third (17.17).

This year’s edition was sponsored by Massy, the Tobago House of Assembly (Division of Tourism and Transportation/Division of Education, Youth Affairs and Sport), Odessy Timing,  Grafton Beach Resort, Blink B Mobile, Baptist Health International, Command Performance, Beacon, Agility Sports, Alamo, Renew Star Serpentine, Blue Waters, Gatorade, Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago.

For results: http://www.odesseytiming.com/printable_results/4708-15-06-13-rainbowcup-sprint.htm
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:57:28 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St Joseph’s Convent students shine at Rainbow Cup
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 09:16:08 AM »
St Joseph’s Convent students shine at Rainbow Cup
Monday, June 15 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Past and current students of St Joseph’s Convent, Port-of-Spain, were well represented, for the fourth consecutive year, at the 11th Annual 2015 Massy Rainbow Cup International Triathlon which climaxed along the sandy shores of Courland Bay Heritage Park, Turtle Beach, yesterday.

Leading by example for her younger colleagues was 15-year-old Lily Stauble, who trounced a mega-cast of both senior and junior athletes to win this year’s Sprint Triathlon Overall Women’s title in fine style. The Convent contingent comprised of 22 current students and approximately 15 graduates who all proudly represented their alma mater in varying categories throughout the gruelling Rainbow course.

Convent student Lauryn Pounder expressed pleasure with her school’s heightened level of participation in this year’s edition. Pounder admitted that the course was indeed a challenge, especially the hills of Black Rock, but was elated to have conquered the course alongside her fellow schoolmates and close friends.

“It was tough, yes, but we are all pleased that we were able to complete our respective divisions,” said a smiling Pounder. “We trained hard and got the results that we were working towards. We had one relay team and approximately seven girls competing individually. It was a great experience for me and I’m sure the other girls share similar views on this year’s tournament.”

Hailing Stauble’s golden performance as heroic, the squad of 22 was happy to have a great example and motivator to look up to for the 2015 Massy Rainbow Cup. The youngsters admitted that preparation for the competition was a bit tough but according to them, “it was all worth it.”

Sharing her views as a tournament debutant, Stefanie Govia, was overjoyed with the challenges put forward to them, and even more happy to have conquered them all.

“We trained very hard this year,” said Govia. “Sometimes after school we trained with our coach Jerry Chin Lee and he helped inspire us for today (Saturday). We knew we had to sacrifice for the triathlon and we spent many hours after school working with our coach building up our metabolism and strengths for this race. It was all worth it. We all feel great being here and completing the triathlon.”

The school was also well represented by past students such as Emily, Renee and Emma Chin Lee, who contested the Sprint Triathlon as a relay team.

Reflecting on this year’s experience, Pounder concluded, “We’ll definitely be here next year. This is such a wonderful event and if other schools can get more involved in sports such as these, we’d have so much more healthy students and young people. I urge and challenge the youths to come do a triathlon next year. It’s worth it.”

St Joseph’s Convent, Port-of-Spain contingent:

Pascale Bell, Emma Chin Lee, Kelly Chin Lee, Renee Chin Lee, Lily Stauble, Lauren Pounder, Stefanie Govia, Cailin Bell, Mia Nieves, Victoria Gillette, Alexi Attale, Kirsten St Omer, Stefanie Rajkumarsingh, Sorcha Bissessar, Abigail Jones, Rachel Grosberg, Kristen Scott, Gabrielle Ramesar, Kimberly Sabga, Noa Shepherd, Sydney Welch, Brijhan Burke.

1]; } ?>