April 28, 2024, 11:13:09 PM

Author Topic: For All those who plan on going to Brazil for WC  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
For All those who plan on going to Brazil for WC
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2011/10/tim_vickery_1.html

"It's been a big task and long work," said Fifa secretary-general Jerome Valcke last week when the calendar of the 2014 World Cup was presented. "We had 57 versions of this match schedule and finally nine on which we have been working. We took into account the medical aspects, logistics, travel and accommodation."

Staging a World Cup in a country the size of a continent is not easy, and Brazil in June/July offers a specific challenge - winter bites hard in the south and barely touches the north.

One of the big headaches in drawing up the match schedule must have been the question of how to deal with the southern host cities of Porto Alegre and Curitiba, where temperatures can drop to freezing.

It had been assumed that for practical purposes this World Cup would have to revert to the previous format, where teams would play all their group games in a certain region. This would have the advantage of reducing travel time in such a vast country - especially interesting since airport capacity has always been seen as the Achilles heel of Brazil 2014.

But this regionalisation created a problem. Those teams based in the south would have been at a clear disadvantage. After spending weeks in the cold for their group games, a move further north in the knock-out stages could subject them to a temperature difference of 30 degrees.

This was clearly unfair - and possibly dangerous. So the idea of regionalisation was dropped, and instead all the teams will be travelling round the country - only some will be travelling a lot more than others. There are huge discrepancies in teams' itineraries.

The hosts' group is a good example. Brazil will have to clock up the air miles - indeed, one of the arguments against regionalisation was clearly the perceived need to have the national team in action in different parts of the country. So they open the tournament in Sao Paulo in the south-east, move up to Fortaleza in the north east for the second game and conclude their group programme in the middle of the country in Brasilia - a combined distance of 3,920km (2,435.8 miles) between the three cities.

Brazil's second opponents have things much easier - they stay in the north east, with games in Natal and Recife as well as Fortaleza, a combined distance of 1,160km (720.8 miles). But the other two teams in the group have to fly up to Manaus in the Amazon. Brazil's opening day opponents are especially penalized - Sao Paulo to Manaus to Recife is a combined distance of 6,000km (3,728.2 miles).

The team drawn as G1 has three group matches in cities of the north east. H1 has done even better, with fixtures in Belo Horizonte, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro and a combined distance of just 700km (435 miles). While poor old E4 has two games in the cold south, and then from Curitiba faces the marathon flight north to Manaus.

They have clearly drawn the short straw. There are other long journeys but no others quite as absurd as this. It is here that the temperature differences will really bite - a problem minimized elsewhere in the schedule by downplaying the role of the south. Curitiba has the minimum host city ration of four games, all in the group phase, while Porto Alegre only has one more.

This looks like an anomaly. Porto Alegre can claim to be Brazil's third footballing city, behind Rio and Sao Paulo. At worst it is fourth, behind Belo Horizonte. And yet six cities will receive more World Cup games, including the likes of Brasilia and Fortlazea whose contribution to the Brazilian game is clearly inferior.

In Brazil this is widely being interpreted as the latest act in the cold war between Brazil's president Dilma Rousseff and controversial local football boss Ricardo Teixeira. Porto Alegre is Rousseff's political base. Cutting down its 2014 role, it is said, is Teixeira's act of revenge.

Maybe - and it is certainly worth speculating how much better the tournament planning and organisation might have been had Rousseff come to power earlier. But in this case it seems more likely that Fifa have cut back the participation of the south in order to reduce the number of games in cold temperatures - not just for the players, but also for the tourists.

Considerable thought seems to have been given to the tourist experience. There is no footballing justification whatsoever for building stadiums in Manaus and Cuiaba. But staging World Cup games there will take people close to two of Brazil's major natural attractions, respectively the Amazon rain forest and the Pantanal wetlands. Visiting those might seem a more attractive tourist package than putting on an extra two layers of clothing to cope with the cold of Porto Alegre or Curitiba .

Whatever the reasons, it is hard to look at the match schedule and not come to the conclusion that the 2014 World Cup is overblown, and that Fifa original idea of eight to 10 host cities might have been better. As it stands, with the discrepancies in distances to be travelled, the draw in December 2013 will take on extra importance. Everyone will want to be H1 or G1. No one will want to be E4.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: For All those who plan on going to Brazil for WC
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »
god willing when we make it, i praying it is not e4, h1 or g1 would be great :beermug:

getting around in the cities itself will also be trouble with the traffic, if you have the money, you may want to employ a helicopter taxi  :o

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=25090288

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
god willing when we make it, i praying it is not e4, h1 or g1 would be great :beermug:

getting around in the cities itself will also be trouble with the traffic, if you have the money, you may want to employ a helicopter taxi  :o

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=25090288
God willing is right!  but to be honest TI, i eh think we prepared enough to beat guyana. i think that they will upset us, big coach or no big coach. just ah hunch that i have.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »

God willing is right!  but to be honest TI, i eh think we prepared enough to beat guyana. i think that they will upset us, big coach or no big coach. just ah hunch that i have.

breds, you know what thought make a man do  :D

yuh can't tell me a trip to brazil wouldn't entice yuh a lil bit  8)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:07:03 PM »

Thought is also responsible for every invention known to man, including the airplane that would fly you to brazil, after all someone had to think it up before implementing it.

and yeh, ah trip to brazil would be nice, but tuh see who? it really don't look good fuh we boss,JMHO.  and i don't like cliff hangers and nail bitters anyway, and more importantly, we should've never been in this predicament no how!

had camps and warner hired this coach two yrs ago after we flunked out the WC in 09 and played ah bunch of friendlies , the degicel and the gold cup , then we would've been in a far better position, who knows, we coulda been in cuba's position waiting for the thrid round instead of being in contention for a spot in the semis with the likes of guyana.  :puking:

i have tuh like guyana's chances better, after all, they just need tuh win one more game, and they can afford to lose one, plus are did much better than us against an opponent whom we've struggled against, not bc they are better than us or more skillful, no!

we might have better players, but i believe guyana is far more organized. all in all TI, i admire yuh gritty stance, but i smellin and upset around the corner. hope yuh could handle it when it comes.        positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
Brazil 2014 here I come, hopefully T&T will be there as well :bringiton: Come on Just Cool stay positive as you always say, I'm not trying to be overconfident but we got what it takes to gain 4 points to advance.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »

Thought is also responsible for every invention known to man, including the airplane that would fly you to brazil, after all someone had to think it up before implementing it.

and yeh, ah trip to brazil would be nice, but tuh see who? it really don't look good fuh we boss,JMHO.  and i don't like cliff hangers and nail bitters anyway, and more importantly, we should've never been in this predicament no how!

had camps and warner hired this coach two yrs ago after we flunked out the WC in 09 and played ah bunch of friendlies , the degicel and the gold cup , then we would've been in a far better position, who knows, we coulda been in cuba's position waiting for the thrid round instead of being in contention for a spot in the semis with the likes of guyana.  :puking:

i have tuh like guyana's chances better, after all, they just need tuh win one more game, and they can afford to lose one, plus are did much better than us against an opponent whom we've struggled against, not bc they are better than us or more skillful, no!

we might have better players, but i believe guyana is far more organized. all in all TI, i admire yuh gritty stance, but i smellin and upset around the corner. hope yuh could handle it when it comes.        positive.

breds forgive me for saying this but you are starting to sound like socapro  :-\ once again i apologize in advance for the insult

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

breds forgive me for saying this but you are starting to sound like socapro  :-\ once again i apologize in advance for the insult

Why my name always in yuh mouth so, like yuh obssessed with man or what?!!  ???

For the record I still believe T&T has what it takes to overcome Guyana in both legs but we NEED to play another friendly with the core of our team before we face Guyana away to be ready for them and there doesn't seem to be any plans on the cards for us playing a friendly before the crucial T&T vs Guyana games. A friendly away to Venezuela or Panama would be idea preparation at this point but how serious are we with a broke TTFF who don't know if they coming or going, much less to arrange a decent friendly.

My motto in life is fail to prepare and be prepared to fail and T&T seems determined to excel in this department so I am not prepared to write Guyana off as a easy rollover like some of your guys here with your heads in the sand!!

T&T should overcome Guyana if we deserve to progress but come the next round if we continue as we have been going with lack of proper friendlies then we ent reaching no Hex this time round as a definite even if the "Special One" was we head coach!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:41:22 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
At this point we looking a lot better for London 2012 than Brazil 2014  :beermug:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »
TI, what have i said that was soooo far fetched?? ppl seemed to suffer with short memories on here or what! i remember it was the same sentiment we had when we ran over SV&G, guyana, and haiti, only be enter the realm of reality when we faced cuba and grenada, and fell terribly short.

even i seemed to forget and was gettin caught up in the fanfare until we met bermuda on their home soil and fell short again. i will be ah fool tuh believe that we're this big bad team and we could easily beat any team in the caribbean, especially in our present state of form.

my only consolation is that hopefully carlos, KJ and birchall stay fit for the next two encounters, bc we dun see where stern has passed his prime, and jorslin has never ever impressed me as ah go to guy, never!

and the defense with power, telesford and mitchel is as shakey as ah toco tapia house. our only saving grace back there is james, and he can't do it by himself, them boys needs tuh tighten up big time if we intend to move on.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:26:25 PM by just cool »

1]; } ?>