April 29, 2024, 12:11:29 AM

Author Topic: Manning-led administration practised discrimination.  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Manning-led administration practised discrimination.
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:08:36 AM »
PM refers scholarship discrimination file to DPP, AG goes after Hart for fraud
By Anna Ramdass.
de Express.

Jail eh nice!

Days after former prime minister Patrick Manning dared the Government to lock him up, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar reminded him of his own words "jail eh nice", while she provided proof that the former Manning-led administration practised discrimination through a secret scholarship fund.

Persad-Bissessar was armed with a July 2011 report from the Equal Opportunity Commission (EOC) which is headed by Prof John Le Guerre.

The report disclosed that there was racial discrimination in the award of scholarships under the People's National Movement government with only seven per cent of persons of East Indian descent receiving funding while the majority 93 per cent were awarded to non-Indo Trinidadians.

She further stated that Manning was involved in the scam, penning private notes to former government minister Joan Yuille-Williams to "handle this quietly" with respect to awarding scholarships to persons whom he personally recommended, including the daughter of the former head of SAUTT, Brigadier Peter Joseph.

"You violated the rule of law, so you have absolutely no moral authority to come here and pontificate in this Parliament, you must first atone for your sins. Not only must you atone, those of you who were involved in that scam, in that fraud, in that breach of the Constitution, they will go to jail. As the member for San Fernando East always say, jail eh nice," said Persad-Bissessar.

"The investigation by the EOC did in fact reveal that there was shameless, rampant discrimination in the award of secret scholarships by the former government," said Persad-Bissessar.

The Prime Minister said she has advised the Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to forward the EOC's report to the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Commissioner of Police and she further instructed that a forensic audit be conducted into the scholarship programme.

In 2009, when it was revealed that there was a secret scholarship fund in the Ministry of Community Development, now Transport Minister Devant Maharaj had submitted a complaint to the EOC citing discrimination.

The EOC, in its report, found that there was discrimination and that the scholarship programme where $45 million of taxpayers' money was expended was used by Manning and other PNM members to selectively award scholarships.

Referring to the report, Persad-Bissessar pointed out that more than half of those who applied for scholarships came from the constituencies of San Fernando, Port of Spain North/St Ann's West, Diego Martin West, Arima and Laventille East/Morvant.

She pointed out that 11 per cent of the applicants were from Diego Martin West, asking who would have made the recommendation.

"You barking up the wrong tree," said Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, MP for Diego Martin West.

"Shame!" shouted members of the Government benches as Government Minister Anil Roberts quipped, "Not even a dougla, boy?"

Persad-Bissessar said the criteria that were set out by the Community Development Ministry stated that the applicants must provide evidence of financial need.

She then waved a copy of a letter requesting financial assistance for a student to the tune of $25,600, which was signed by Manning himself.

The letter stated that the student did not qualify as needy but assistance was recommended.

Furthermore, Persad-Bissessar indicated that the EOC report stated there were major breaches on the ministry's part.

She said there were no records of the selection committee meetings and the EOC even cast doubt that a committee even existed.

The EOC, said Persad-Bissessar, found that several claims of financial need and subsequent award of financial assistance were "suspicious" after a review of the application for the years 2002-2007.

"The investigators found that there was no completed application forms for almost half of the persons (47 per cent) who received scholarships under this secret scheme. Of those that filled out the form, 36 had no address and were therefore incomplete," Persad-Bissessar read from the report.

She added that the EOC discovered that more than half of the awards for local study exceeded the $25,000 limit allegedly set by the ministry.

And some 94 per cent of the awards for the foreign programmes exceeded the foreign limit.

"In other words, there was absolutely no attempt to control the value of awards given," said Persad-Bissessar as she described the programme as "a PNM slush fund".

She added that EOC investigators, after inspecting the vote books, found that the fund was used to pay every imaginable expense from scholarships grants to the following: community wardens, salaries, catering services, gardening services, rental of retained properties, rental of sound equipment, rental of stages, printing fees, publication fees and communication fees (TSTT, et cetera).

Unlike Government Assisted Tertiary Education programme, Persad-Bissessar pointed out that under this scholarship programme no agreements were signed.

"The PNM government simply gave away $45.3 million taxpayers without a shred of follow-up or justification," she said, stressing that the programme was never advertised nor was any NGO or community group used to recommend persons.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Manning-led administration practised discrimination.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
I've grown weary of the PM's statements made under the cloak of parliamentary priveledge. She has an affinity for exaggerationif not fabrication when it come to pieces of paper. Notwithstanding that the greater issue here would be the overall lack of transparency in the scholarship programme. That in itself left it open for manipulation and a lack of accountability. However the PM has chosen to turn it into a racial issue for her own poltical purposes. This is dishonest and especially if there is no evidence of persons being unfairly denied on the basis of their ethnicity.

Whats more is the context this is coming from is under pressure of the many scandals in which the government is presently engulfed ,questionable employment practices , sundry contract blighs and disproportionate terminations in ministries and state enterprises the Prime Minister is saying in effect "so what , you did it too."

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
I've grown weary of the PM's statements made under the cloak of parliamentary priveledge. She has an affinity for exaggerationif not fabrication when it come to pieces of paper. Notwithstanding that the greater issue here would be the overall lack of transparency in the scholarship programme. That in itself left it open for manipulation and a lack of accountability. However the PM has chosen to turn it into a racial issue for her own poltical purposes. This is dishonest and especially if there is no evidence of persons being unfairly denied on the basis of their ethnicity.

Whats more is the context this is coming from is under pressure of the many scandals in which the government is presently engulfed ,questionable employment practices , sundry contract blighs and disproportionate terminations in ministries and state enterprises the Prime Minister is saying in effect "so what , you did it too."

That's exactly it!
Basically they are saying you shouldn't try to call us out for being corrupt as you were corrupt too!
So much for those who voted for change, its basically more of the same!!
I have lost faith in 90%+ of all politicans, they are some of the biggest liars and thieves on the planet!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »

Hoss, the report being quoted is the Equal Opportunity Commission report, which in and of itself deals with the issue of racial discrimination. For you to say that the PM took it upon herself to turn it into a racial issue is disingenious. Are these the PM's words??

The report disclosed that there was racial discrimination in the award of scholarships under the People's National Movement government with only seven per cent of persons of East Indian descent receiving funding while the majority 93 per cent were awarded to non-Indo Trinidadians.

She also states specific facts and figures from the report to make her case, so aside from the political posturing of her presentation which is par for the course in every day parliament business on both sides of the bench, i'm not sure where you getting this exaggeration and fabrication you speak of. Unless you are saying that the numbers in the report were fabricated.

I'm amazed that you would so readily dismiss the content of the report.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
manning is a c**t and always be a c**t.. di man f**king hate indian like we f**king tell di white man to bring we To Trinidad.. I dont dislike no one.. fortunately he is "no one" but a dumb ass .. manning going to jail will be like TNT qualifying for another world cup for me , I will rejoice dat like I see god..
he and cro cro is two faggots I swear if mi ever see dem in person I getting lock up...
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »

I've also grown weary of your statements as well, especially your blatant disregard for the major issue addressed by the PM. Take off the Balisier tie for once and try being objective. Racism is one of the main problems T&T faces that is dismantling the nation and yet you choose to incorporate innuendo and speculation into your argument as a guise to defame the government and shield the opposition because of your personal bias to the ruling party.

I really hope you are better than that and realize your illiberality will only show your ignorance to the core issues that need to be addressed in our nation and that issues as these should never be swept under the rug as what it appears you are doing.

Both the PNM and UNC are guilty of mismanagement of our nation, I find your perspective a tad bit skewed and twisted when it comes to acknowledging the corruption of the current opposition.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:54:33 AM by Controversial »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »
Ehy TI, wait till golden gun come on the set, he go well bad yuh up, watch and see. yuh might have yuh run for cover, bc i eh know where he get dat golden gun from but he sound like he more than willing tuh use it. he musta gone and join the feds and they give him one ah dey top secret weapons.

just be careful yuh eh get doye doye wid dat golden gun eh pardner, ah beg yuh do. :laugh:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
Ehy TI, wait till golden gun come on the set, he go well bad yuh up, watch and see. yuh might have yuh run for cover, bc i eh know where he get dat golden gun from but he sound like he more than willing tuh use it. he musta gone and join the feds and they give him one ah dey top secret weapons.

just be careful yuh eh get doye doye wid dat golden gun eh pardner, ah beg yuh do. :laugh:

and i'm 007...
tc and myself are war veterans from the old board, i don't run from any debate breds. if there is proof the pm is lying and truetrini has it, i will listen to facts. in fact i really don't care about any particular party, i care about the issues our nation is facing, that is the bottom line breds

:violin:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:59:27 AM by Controversial »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
My statement is based on previous statements made by the PM with dubious references , all in Parliament btw.  With the exception of one paragraph concerning the incomplete forms the article does not not actually reference the report. The issue I raised which I believe is more important was that the previous government administered a shady programme that was directly manipulated by politicians.

There is only one reference to race (which we must assume was determined only by the names of the applicants) in the article and furthermore it doesn't prove that persons were denied on the basis of race or even that East Indians were disproportionately denied. This as the most trusted advisor to the PM could conclude is not evidence of racial discrimination. If we can infer anything here is this a case of political patronage.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »
Some men I does wonder if they could really read and understand. Stop reading Jah Gol post with bias eyes and understand where the man coming from nah. He eh make no apologies for the PNM, read what de man saying nah instead of coming in in defense mode of the PP. Shucks man.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »
Some men I does wonder if they could really read and understand. Stop reading Jah Gol post with bias eyes and understand where the man coming from nah. He eh make no apologies for the PNM, read what de man saying nah instead of coming in in defense mode of the PP. Shucks man.

JAH = PNM so he BIAS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

Jah boy you does just read my mind yes.  Then again you know we PNM sycophants have to stick together......hhhhhmmm....I wonder what symbol was on our ties when we were giving it to Manning on this very forum about 2 years ago??  steups!!  And dem is de "objective" ones....... ::) ::)

I'm off to watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.  The comedy is of a far higher value.  Let me know when the PM actually gets around to debating the budget....and not throwing out red herrings like she tends to do from time to time.... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »

Jah boy you does just read my mind yes.  Then again you know we PNM sycophants have to stick together......hhhhhmmm....I wonder what symbol was on our ties when we were giving it to Manning on this very forum about 2 years ago??  steups!!  And dem is de "objective" ones....... ::) ::)

I'm off to watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.  The comedy is of a far higher value.  Let me know when the PM actually gets around to debating the budget....and not throwing out red herrings like she tends to do from time to time.... ::) ::)

There is a good reason she throws out those red herrings!
Plenty folks does bite the bait and she knows she can rely on that!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 05:20:44 PM »
What does it mean that 93 percent of scholarships went to persons of non east indian descent? Does this also mean that "99" percent of scholarships went to persons of non chinese descent? Does it also mean that "95" percent went to persons of non syrian descent? Does it also mean that there were no scholarships for persons of spanish descent?  ::) ::) ::) ::)

These people so beautiful. On one side they claiming discrimination and on the next side they saying that it's a secret scholarship fund. So if it is a secret scholarship fund, would there be equality in it? Obviously nottttttttt...!!!

I just love that as our Government, they're only publicising discrimination against one race of people. They are a better pressure group than a government anyday.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:19:00 PM by congo »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »
If all yuh have the time, here is the commission's report......note that the 7% East Indian, 93% Non East Indian break down is in the report.  I find it strange that they would word it that way......I haven't read the whole thing and I know there are some tables/appendices in there that might have broken down the ethnicities further but I eh have the time now....I'm off to finish watching "The Godfather Part II"....yeah only now.... ;D

http://www.scribd.com/doc/69355296/EOC-report-on-PNM-Bursary#source:facebook
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »
My statement is based on previous statements made by the PM with dubious references , all in Parliament btw.  With the exception of one paragraph concerning the incomplete forms the article does not not actually reference the report. The issue I raised which I believe is more important was that the previous government administered a shady programme that was directly manipulated by politicians.

There is only one reference to race (which we must assume was determined only by the names of the applicants) in the article and furthermore it doesn't prove that persons were denied on the basis of race or even that East Indians were disproportionately denied. This as the most trusted advisor to the PM could conclude is not evidence of racial discrimination. If we can infer anything here is this a case of political patronage.

I think if the PM focused on the issue of Political Patronage her arguments within the context of equal opportunity will hold more currency.

My own view is the commission itself and their preparation of the report that sought to single out one ethnic group albeit a significant sector of the population. I believe that commissions need to account properly for these type of reports and not have the contents wielded as a political axe in the parliament. If the commission on their own accord came to the public with the information, accompanied by the scientific approach used in coming up with the outcome there would be much more integrity of what is presented.

Back in those days i also attempted to access the program but was unsuccessful. I heard about it through the grapevine, it was probably because of my lack of a party card rather than my complexion or name, cause i darker than the ace of spades.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:50 PM »
I just got a call from Keith. He like how we does talk about controversial issues. He real big me up because I does defend the PNM tirelessly on the board. So I ask about a getting a tie and he say he can't give me one since the party on fundraising drive but I could get one at a discounted price for only $250 . Unfortunately given that I've spent all my money on electricity and an internet connection so that I could continue my online campaign I am unable to afford said tie.

I am a making a humble request for contributions to the "Let's help Jah Gol buy a PNM tie fund" . Donations can be made at any branch of FCB except San Fernando as they are currently conducting an investigation into mysterious accounts held by persons who reportedly are studying abroad.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
I just got a call from Keith. He like how we does talk about controversial issues. He real big me up because I does defend the PNM tirelessly on the board. So I ask about a getting a tie and he say he can't give me one since the party on fundraising drive but I could get one at a discounted price for only $250 . Unfortunately given that I've spent all my money on electricity and an internet connection so that I could continue my online campaign I am unable to afford said tie.

I am a making a humble request for contributions to the "Let's help Jah Gol buy a PNM tie fund" . Donations can be made at any branch of FCB except San Fernando as they are currently conducting an investigation into mysterious accounts held by persons who reportedly are studying abroad.

hold tight my balisier brother, I have some extra balisier ties there from my grandfather who was one of the first to canvass for the pnm in the east west corridor, i could fed ex one to you since rowley and the pnm are too cheap to give one to such a devoted, loyal supporter.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
Jah boi, doh study keithos.

Christmas coming up so nuff people will be washing their curtains. Pass thru ah yard and grab one off a line. Convert said curtain into a cape (be careful of Caribbean Sheppards..speaking bout Kiethos). then next mission is to head to the deep forest (have to go far since pnm get cutass it's very hard to find) and cut ah balisier (watch out for snake eh).

Now pin said Balisier onto your chest and with cape on..ye shall now be known as captain pnm. Word of warning though - your only weakness when wearing the new gear is accountability. Keep away at all cost.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:59:54 PM by mal jeux »
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
well if the list the PM produced in parliament is the same list the EOC worked with, then the commision figures wrong.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »
Wait. Does the report document that the criteria for chosing (and conversely excluding) persons from this scholarship as race? Or based on the names on the list....that was infered to be the reason?

Cause even in the medical faculty in UWI.....there at least USED to be a major (percieved at least) disparity. I remember Courtenay Bartholemew writing several letters and columns on it.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »
How come the man of many names didn't weigh in yet, or did he, but under ah different alias. BTW, weh golden gun? :rotfl:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

Chairman of the Equal Opportunity Commission (EOC) Professor John La Guerre says investigations into the award of scholarships via the Financial Assistance Programme under the former Patrick Manning government are still in progress and there is no final report. This was his response to a request from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley on Wednesday for a copy of the report. Contributing to the 2012 budget debate in Parliament on Tuesday, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had said the report was a public document. Persad-Bissessar quoted extensively from it to show that the former PNM government discriminated against citizens under the programme. She said the report showed only seven per cent of those granted scholarships were of East Indian origin.

Rowley wrote the commission on October 19, a day after Persad-Bissessar’s revelations, requesting a copy of the report. La Guerre, in his one-page reply to Rowley, said: “Please note that the complaint which resulted in the production of the said report is still an ongoing matter as the commission has recommended that this matter be sent to conciliation. “Therefore, the report cannot be disclosed by the commission at this time,” he added.  La Guerre said the complainant, Transport Minister Devant Maharaj, “obtained a copy of the said report pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and as the complainant in this matter.” He revealed that the commission “also sent a copy of the report to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Community Development as the respondent in this matter.”  Told by Rowley that the report was put in the public domain when its contents were read in Parliament by Persad-Bissessar, La Guerre said: “We wish to inform you that we have written to the Parliament seeking information as to whether the report as a whole was actually laid in Parliament.”

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

Chairman of the Equal Opportunity Commission (EOC) Professor John La Guerre says investigations into the award of scholarships via the Financial Assistance Programme under the former Patrick Manning government are still in progress and there is no final report. This was his response to a request from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley on Wednesday for a copy of the report. Contributing to the 2012 budget debate in Parliament on Tuesday, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had said the report was a public document. Persad-Bissessar quoted extensively from it to show that the former PNM government discriminated against citizens under the programme. She said the report showed only seven per cent of those granted scholarships were of East Indian origin.

Rowley wrote the commission on October 19, a day after Persad-Bissessar’s revelations, requesting a copy of the report. La Guerre, in his one-page reply to Rowley, said: “Please note that the complaint which resulted in the production of the said report is still an ongoing matter as the commission has recommended that this matter be sent to conciliation. “Therefore, the report cannot be disclosed by the commission at this time,” he added.  La Guerre said the complainant, Transport Minister Devant Maharaj, “obtained a copy of the said report pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and as the complainant in this matter.” He revealed that the commission “also sent a copy of the report to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Community Development as the respondent in this matter.”  Told by Rowley that the report was put in the public domain when its contents were read in Parliament by Persad-Bissessar, La Guerre said: “We wish to inform you that we have written to the Parliament seeking information as to whether the report as a whole was actually laid in Parliament.”

huh  ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 08:09:18 AM »
Trinidad Guardian

huh  ???

Yep Rowley wrote LeGuerre and say the matter still being dealt wit. But Devant d GOPIO fella who is now a Min get a copy and shared it wit his friends like Kamla. They continue 2 use Parliamentry Privildge 2 do what they want.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Joan Yuille-Williams denies discrimination in scholarships
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
http://www.tntmirror.com/2011/10/23/i-tried-to-help-all

I tried to help all
By Irene Medina - October 23rd 2011 12:19 PM

Joan Yuille-Williams denies discrimination in scholarships

FORMER Minister of Community Development Culture and Gender Affairs Joan Yuille-Williams has denied that the Ministry’s Financial Assistance for Studies Programme discriminated against persons of Indian descent and says the Government tried to render assistance to all those who were in need and applied.

Yuille-Williams, a deputy political leader of the PNM, was questioned by TnT Mirror on the allegation by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar that only seven percent of the recipients of the bursaries were citizens of East Indian descent.

“I don’t know about the numbers,” she said, “but as far as I know all those who applied would have got something.”

Yuille-Williams said she did not get personally involved in the payments since that was handled by the public servants and payments were made not to persons but their educational institutions. Payments for persons studying abroad were not handled by the Ministry but by the Trinidad and Tobago’s foreign missions and embassies through the Comptroller of Accounts.

The former minister said the bursaries, which were first announced on page 29 of the 2003 Budget Speech as the “Community Development Scholarships Programme”, were never secret and were advertised in a brochure outlining Government services which was distributed by the Ministry of Social Development.

She admitted, however, that applicants were not required to submit application forms but applied by letter and that the interviewing committee, which included two members of the Ministry of Public Administration’s Scholarship and Advanced Training Division, Maureen Manchouk and Rosalind Kanhai-Trotman, conducted interviews, requested whatever additional data were required and made recommendations.

Some persons who did not qualify, like Adanna Joseph, the daughter of retired Brigadier Peter Joseph, were rejected despite the fact that they had been recommended by Members of Parliament. But despite Joseph’s rejection, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar made an announcement in the House that she had been a recipient. This has since been denied by way of a media release by the young woman’s father, Brigadier Peter Joseph, former director of the now disbanded Special Anti-Crime Unit of Trinidad and Tobago (SAUTT).

Public servants close to the Scholarship Fund, which is now under the jurisdiction of the Prime Minister, supported Yuille-William’s claim that it was not discriminatory.

According to one Committee member, “Single parents or young people who had little hope of funding their education sought assistance from the Ministry and were either rejected or called in for an interview. They had to walk with documentation that they had been accepted to pursue studies that were not being offered at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, or the region,” she said.

TnT Mirror has learnt that among the many recipients of the much maligned bursaries was Humming Bird awardee Veera Bhajan, who was born without arms, and whose courage touched and ambition to study law at the Cave Hill Campus in Barbados caught the attention of the then Prime Minister Patrick Manning, who recommended that the Ministry cover the cost of her legal studies.

This promise was made to her in 2004. In 2007, Manning, though his Community Development Minister, made good his promise to provide financial support to Bhagan, and during a graduation ceremony for the Women in Harmony Programme at Queen’s Hall – one of the Ministry’s several social programmes – Yuille-Williams presented Bhagan and nine other scholarship recipients with cheques.

This was confirmed to the TnT Mirror by Bhagan’s mother, Ramdai, who spoke briefly on the issue, since she said she was busy “cleaning up for Divali” celebrations, which is observed by the Hindu community on Wednesday Oct. 26.

She said, “Prime Minister Manning made a promise, when Veera received her National Award, he promised to give her a scholarship, and he kept that promise.”

The protective mother, who accompanied her daughter during her two years at Cave Hill, said she did not want her daughter’s name dragged into the controversy. Ramdai also had all her expenses paid through the grant because Yuille-Williams felt that because of Veera’s special needs, she needed a caretaker. She has since graduated from the Hugh Wooding Law School and is now attached to the Office of the Attorney General.

Ramdai confirmed that there was sound accounting for the monies spent, adding that a “detailed statement had to be given to the Ministry.”

“It was not as if we were given cash,” she said, adding that “the money went to the school.”

Rosalind Kanhai- Trotman refused to comment on the issue, while Manchouk said she had only been at the Ministry for a short period. The programme has since been transferred to the Office of the Prime Minister with $5.5 million allocated in the 2012 Budget.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
Well the Honorable PM can now make the playing field even, as she now control the grants.  :yellowcard:

1]; } ?>