April 27, 2024, 06:02:21 AM

Author Topic: Roderick Gibbs.  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Roderick Gibbs.
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
I spoke with a few ole timers today and they sang praises to Roderick Gibbs.

I did not see him in the SWO database because of obvious reasons.

They said he was one of the best players to play for T&T but in terms of discipline, he was terrible. He was so bad that the Army had him in their jail and only release him to play footall for them and then sent him back behind bars.

He played for Defence Force in the 80's one particular game against Argentinos Juniors, who won 1-0 in T&T.

Does anyone know anything off him. ?
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick Gibbs.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
I spoke with a few ole timers today and they sang praises to Roderick Gibbs.

I did not see him in the SWO database because of obvious reasons.

They said he was one of the best players to play for T&T but in terms of discipline, he was terrible. He was so bad that the Army had him in their jail and only release him to play footall for them and then sent him back behind bars.

He played for Defence Force in the 80's one particular game against Argentinos Juniors, who won 1-0 in T&T.

Does anyone know anything off him. ?

De Old RAMBO!!!
Yeah he was ah baller, and yeah ah hear from soldier brethren he was a little lacking in de discipline department:)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Rambo was a character. Imagine an army man with no discipline from the Lavantille Road area.. but boy was he entertaining to watch. He has a Bobby Zamora finish (look like BZ) and had the same type of attitude on the field.

Rambo, Miguel Hackett and Puckerin, dem three army men used to play minor league football with Mico in Aranguez and used to have the savannah buzzing. Rambo was one of the most entertaining players to watch, didnt know what to expect and fight could break out at any moment. He was a very good player for Army, very skillful, lots of natural ability and very quick. He played for Army in the mid 80s with men like Kenrick Fleary and Bertrand O'Brien when they were the 'bigside' along with Trintoc who had Marvellous, Clayton Morris, Philbert Jones, Adrian Fonrose ..etc.

Not sure what school he went to but was a fixture at all San Juan Snr Comp (Bourg)games

Flex,Coops could tell yuh bout Rambo, but dont expect to see him posting here anymore, yuh migh have to give him a call.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:59:37 PM by College »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »
Coops gone for real, like de pressure buss he pipe.

Jack stepson vex... come back coops, we missing yuh...

I hear bout this Roderick Gibbs fella to, I hear he was wothless, wost that Jemmot and Highley put together.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
He was a borse player.

JAH BLESS
RASTAFARI

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Lack ah discipline is an understatement....He had no discipline at all...  Very good player though.  I grew up watching them fellas first in Aranguez savannah and then on the national scene with Army.  He is a cool test though. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »
Coincidentally, dis same Gibbs fella came up in ah conversation dat me and ah pardna had yesterday. Meh pardna say dat de man had speed fuh days. Fuss he was fast, dey used tuh call him Turbo. Had all de tools of ah deadly forward.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
Knew him personally he was special could make any team anywhere in the world just would'nt last.It's unfortunate because there are many players in T&T roaming around with talent unimaginable but for discipline forget it....

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
yea rambo...pacy and tricky...nick some goals
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »
I saw Rambo the other day...after the independance day parade.  He ent change much physically...doh know if he still running ball though.  The man was poison in his days sah.  I cant talk much for the indiscipline of the man, but i could remember him getting sent off in a game against Police though.

That man used to always light up Skinner Park when Army come to play Trintoc or Caroni or Civic Center.  I was lil youth in them days and could always remember dem seriously bandy legs beating men and going down the wing.  Defence Force in them days was mainly Army men with the one stand out Coast Guard man a 'half white boy'...Seales i think was his name.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
I saw Rambo the other day...after the independance day parade.  He ent change much physically...doh know if he still running ball though.  The man was poison in his days sah.  I cant talk much for the indiscipline of the man, but i could remember him getting sent off in a game against Police though.

That man used to always light up Skinner Park when Army come to play Trintoc or Caroni or Civic Center.  I was lil youth in them days and could always remember dem seriously bandy legs beating men and going down the wing.  Defence Force in them days was mainly Army men with the one stand out Coast Guard man a 'half white boy'...Seales i think was his name.

Sloane Seales ... if i'm not mistaken

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »
Good player.

One of the best players to play for T&T?  NAH!

No disrespeck....but it had PLENTY others better than him.  He used to score goals tho fuh real. 

For example....he didn't want nutten wit Bert Neptune (a nex army man).  Now if allyuh say DAT was one a T&T bess ballas....yuh would have a case.

Rambo could be compared to a Nevick Denoon or a Adrian Fonrose.

I feel dat description of Rambo is jes a case of nostalgia.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:29:04 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »

That is the man self...vicious lil short redman.  A real ball winner in the midfield.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
Good player.

One of the best players to play for T&T?  NAH!

No disrespeck....but it had PLENTY others better than him.  He used to score goals tho fuh real. 

For example....he didn't want nutten wit Bert Neptune (a nex army man).  Now if allyuh say DAT was one a T&T bess ballas....yuh would have a case.

Rambo could be compared to a Nevick Denoon or a Adrian Fonrose.

I feel dat description of Rambo is jes a case of nostalgia.

Wouldnt say he was one of the best .... but from what I remember, and Im not that old, Rambo was a crowd favorite, very exciting player and as Big Mag say, full of  tricks and very very quick and would always be amongst the goals. He was tall, lean and very athletic. Definitely one of the most excting players I've seen at the club level. Like I said in my earlier post, he reminds me of Bobby Zamora, both in how they look and similar stlye play and attitude.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

That is the man self...vicious lil short redman.  A real ball winner in the midfield.

We need more players like that... no fuss, just hard working midfielders

1]; } ?>