March 28, 2024, 09:33:59 AM

Author Topic: Jay DeMerit documentary hits movie theaters in November  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jay DeMerit documentary hits movie theaters in November
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:23:19 AM »
DeMerit documentary gets November theatrical release

Ever since its trailer began grabbing attention on blogs and Twitter feeds this spring, Rise & Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story has been slowly gathering momentum toward a theatrical release.

The 92-minute film, which was shot and produced by longtime friends of the Vancouver Whitecaps defender, spent the summer screening at select film festivals around the country and is now slated for nationwide release on Nov. 3.

The documentary recounts DeMerit’s career arc from unheralded collegiate player to World Cup defender, and offers a rare and candid look into the life of an American soccer star. Featuring interviews with DeMerit’s friends, family and teammates interspersed with archival footage from his time spent climbing the ladder of English soccer — including the so-called “£40 million goal” that helped promote Watford into the Premier League — the film is a widescreen look at DeMerit’s struggles and triumphs.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jay DeMerit documentary hits movie theaters in November
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:27:02 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghBM-3y629E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ghBM-3y629E</a>
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »
cool  :beermug:

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
He's on FSC Goals Sunday now.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »
Somebody should the the Bleeder story...

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:13:48 AM »
nah. we want the Jack Warner Story...from Stammerer to Schemer Billionaire.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »
Who de hell is Jay Demerit??!!   ??? :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
lol...u eh know the big big US player called Jay Demerit who overcame difficulty to become a big star??

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »
lol...u eh know the big big US player called Jay Demerit who overcame difficulty to become a big star??
The sad thing is there are people who believe this load of crap.  There are countless players who started in the Non League who had decent stays in the Premier League, Paul Furlong, Jason Roberts, George Elokobi, Chris Smalling, etc., etc..  His story is only significant because stupid American "fans" don't realize this and he only played one season in the Premier League in which Watford were relegated.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:30:46 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 08:51:27 AM »
Dont try and fight down a good, honest story of hard work and dedication. And, the fact that he grew up in a nation with zero interest in soccer makes it even more inspiring.
Hart for president

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 10:02:40 AM »
Dont try and fight down a good, honest story of hard work and dedication. And, the fact that he grew up in a nation with zero interest in soccer makes it even more inspiring.
My problem isn't with the player its with the idiots who think its miraculous, unheard of, or remarkable in any way.  With all the players I named above there are twice as many in the Championship which is where he has spent most of his career.  I mentioned George Elokobi, he was born in Somalia (though Wiki now says Cameroon, BBC confirms he is from Somalia).  Forget the "zero interest in soccer" in USA where it is the most played team sport, try coming from a place with no infrastructure or government.  He did move to Cameroon where he lost his father and grandfather and his mother moved to England to support him while he stayed there.  He came to England in his late teens and ten years and about 8 tiers of English soccer later scores two against Manchester United that won Wolves the game...thats far more impressive than anything DeMerit did, but where is Elokobi's documentary?  As I said I'm not knocking his story, I think its great when non-league players make it professionally, I'm knocking the sensationalizing of it.  I've had people try to talk about how amazing it is and when I tell them of all of the other players who have done this same thing or more they have no response which is one of the reasons I don't bother at all with these idiots anymore.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:09:11 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »
I've always thought that Demerit was overrated...  but I've always liked him still. No matter where you're from hard work, perseverance and dedication tends to resonate with people. Isn't he from Vermont and played ball at Wisconsin or some shit like that?  I'm not going to compare his situation with anyone else's... good story in its own right. Hope he recovers fully from the eye injury.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
I am a BooSA "soccer" hater, but I would never hate on someone who want's to share his or her story of how they made it to the world. You know Americans always over hype their stuff and don't care about anyone else story. But Big up Jay and his story!   :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 03:13:15 AM »
My problem isn't with the player its with the idiots who think its miraculous, unheard of, or remarkable in any way.  With all the players I named above there are twice as many in the Championship which is where he has spent most of his career.  I mentioned George Elokobi, he was born in Somalia (though Wiki now says Cameroon, BBC confirms he is from Somalia).  Forget the "zero interest in soccer" in USA where it is the most played team sport, try coming from a place with no infrastructure or government.  He did move to Cameroon where he lost his father and grandfather and his mother moved to England to support him while he stayed there.  He came to England in his late teens and ten years and about 8 tiers of English soccer later scores two against Manchester United that won Wolves the game...thats far more impressive than anything DeMerit did, but where is Elokobi's documentary?  As I said I'm not knocking his story, I think its great when non-league players make it professionally, I'm knocking the sensationalizing of it.  I've had people try to talk about how amazing it is and when I tell them of all of the other players who have done this same thing or more they have no response which is one of the reasons I don't bother at all with these idiots anymore.

I couldn't have said it better myself.   Good for him that he has "made it" and all, but, like you said, there are far more players (all around the world) with far more impressive stories to tell.  Men like demerit probably had every pair of socks, pants and boots handed to him without even having to arkskse, while men like Carlos Tevez come from neighborhoods where some kids tief a spoil onion from dey family pantry to go outside and practice dey skills with it.  I forget,....shit like dat doh impress men like zeppo and dem unless is an american accomplishing an achievement. He still vex Tevez cyah/refuse to adapt to the English language.  I'm Sure he is impressed that landon donovan could probably speak fluent German though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:14:59 AM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 05:52:59 AM »
Basically, this is why 'the other' has to recognize and document its own experience.

With specific respect to DeMerit, isn't a key element of the man's path that an MLS coach or coaches dismissed him as a talent? His self-belief and subsequent appearance at the highest level of the game ... however brief ... not only compels interest in the story, but serves as personal vindication AND a question mark on the original assessment.

As we laud the exploits of former notable players in our SSFL environment and their variously ordinary decisions to pursue "school" ... let us not ignore the risk adverse nature of their choice.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:54:40 AM by asylumseeker »

giggsy11

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:10 AM »
DeMerit documentary gets November theatrical release

Ever since its trailer began grabbing attention on blogs and Twitter feeds this spring, Rise & Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story has been slowly gathering momentum toward a theatrical release.

The 92-minute film, which was shot and produced by longtime friends of the Vancouver Whitecaps defender, spent the summer screening at select film festivals around the country and is now slated for nationwide release on Nov. 3.

The documentary recounts DeMerit’s career arc from unheralded collegiate player to World Cup defender, and offers a rare and candid look into the life of an American soccer star. Featuring interviews with DeMerit’s friends, family and teammates interspersed with archival footage from his time spent climbing the ladder of English soccer — including the so-called “£40 million goal” that helped promote Watford into the Premier League — the film is a widescreen look at DeMerit’s struggles and triumphs.

(continue)

And we care because....................?

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »

Well all those other players' friends can make a documentary for them to show the world their miraculous story, too. DeMerrit's friends did that and his story is inspiring in its own right. Im not gonna compare his to someone else's.
Hart for president

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
Demerit is more hype than substance.

Hard working defender.....not especially gifted.  Was the #1 pick of the Vancouver Whitecaps in their expansion season.  He's not even their best defender.  Alain Rochat is much better and more versatile IMO.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
Well all those other players' friends can make a documentary for them to show the world their miraculous story, too. DeMerrit's friends did that and his story is inspiring in its own right. Im not gonna compare his to someone else's.

Exactly... and same thing Asylumseeker saying too.  It's almost like men begrudging Demerit the recognition his story getting relative to "others"... like Demerit had anything to do with that?  "But..." they argue, "it'snot about Demerit, it's the annoying ass fans."  Well, who gives a hoot about what the fans think about his story, this isn't about them, so why make it?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »

Exactly... and same thing Asylumseeker saying too.  It's almost like men begrudging Demerit the recognition his story getting relative to "others"... like Demerit had anything to do with that?  "But..." they argue, "it'snot about Demerit, it's the annoying ass fans."  Well, who gives a hoot about what the fans think about his story, this isn't about them, so why make it?

Nobody eh "almost..begrudging" nothing.  Men just find that there are other people's life's story more admirable and inspiring, no matter who make it.  Something wrong wit dat or wha?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:37 PM »
  Nobody eh "almost..begrudging" nothing.  Men just find that there are other people's life's story more admirable and inspiring, no matter who make it.  Something wrong wit dat or wha?

Somebody appoint you spokesperson fuh "men"?  It have plenty example of comments here indicating that others are more deserving... beginning with yours.  Since yuh obviously not familiar with the usage of the term let me help you, that means yuh begrudging him the recognition he getting.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »

Somebody appoint you spokesperson fuh "men"?  It have plenty example of comments here indicating that others are more deserving... beginning with yours.  Since yuh obviously not familiar with the usage of the term let me help you, that means yuh begrudging him the recognition he getting.

You tryin' to call people "spokesman" is as laughable as you yourself....but  dat is fuh another day.  Again, nobody eh begrudging demerit and his friends not a damned thing.  When A PERSON/PEOPLE post opinions, it usually is an expression of how THAT/THOSE person(s) feels, cunnyhole.  So TO ME. there are players whose story is more impressive and more admirable. (as cited by the aforementioned worm2345)  It doesn't mean that I care anything about whatever recognition demerit and his friends and their movie are getting and it certainly isn't begrudging him/them any damned thing.  It simply means that demrit has to have had a tougher path towards his "making it" to impress ME the way it impress YOU, hence my reason for using "Tevez" as an example.  If you yuh self wasn't so impressed with how bigger a c**t you are than the one you were rescued from at alleged birth, you would f**kin' understand that.....For all I care, you, zeppo and 50 million people (and I don't mean to begrudge him a bigger box office) could go and watch the movie and hold hands singing "We Are The Champions" when the credits rolling.  Good fuh friggin' allyuh.   Shit, boy, you always want to be trollin' the forum, like a Catholic school nun, talkin' so much 'bout what people don't know or cant comprehend and you self exposing whatever tertiary education yuh buy to be as valuable as a bucket ah piss. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »
You tryin' to call people "spokesman" is as laughable as you yourself....but  dat is fuh another day.  Again, nobody eh begrudging demerit and his friends not a damned thing.  When A PERSON/PEOPLE post opinions, it usually is an expression of how THAT/THOSE person(s) feels, cunnyhole.  So TO ME. there are players whose story is more impressive and more admirable. (as cited by the aforementioned worm2345)  It doesn't mean that I care anything about whatever recognition demerit and his friends and their movie are getting and it certainly isn't begrudging him/them any damned thing.  It simply means that demrit has to have had a tougher path towards his "making it" to impress ME the way it impress YOU, hence my reason for using "Tevez" as an example.  If you yuh self wasn't so impressed with how bigger a c**t you are than the one you were rescued from at alleged birth, you would f**kin' understand that.....For all I care, you, zeppo and 50 million people (and I don't mean to begrudge him a bigger box office) could go and watch the movie and hold hands singing "We Are The Champions" when the credits rolling.  Good fuh friggin' allyuh.   Shit, boy, you always want to be trollin' the forum, like a Catholic school nun, talkin' so much 'bout what people don't know or cant comprehend and you self exposing whatever tertiary education yuh buy to be as valuable as a bucket ah piss. 

Right... and nobody really concerned with or arguing you how YOU feel.  You appoint yuhself mouthpiece to say that "nobody" doing this and doing that.  Is corn yuh hungry for so... or yuh clairvoyant?  All dem other c**t and tertiary education talk eh really affecting me one way or another, but yuh welcomed tuh keep tilting at dem windmills.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »
It have some real haters in de thread jed...Good for DeMerit - He's living his dream....why there's anything but positive responses I really can't understand. 

If it have others who story more inspiring, then let them write a book, or make a f*cking movie and inspire somebody....but that irrelevant in this thread....This thread is about DeMerit's movie. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »

Right... and nobody really concerned with or arguing you how YOU feel.  You appoint yuhself mouthpiece to say that "nobody" doing this and doing that.  Is corn yuh hungry for so... or yuh clairvoyant?  All dem other c**t and tertiary education talk eh really affecting me one way or another, but yuh welcomed tuh keep tilting at dem windmills.

Yuh never cease to flatter yuh self, horse. 

It have some real haters in de thread jed...Good for DeMerit - He's living his dream....why there's anything but positive responses I really can't understand. 

because not everybody is going to care or feel the same way about demerit and his accomplishments, but feel free to censor the thread (and the forum even) to mandate that "only positive posts be posted on threads that I see fit."

If it have others who story more inspiring, then let them write a book, or make a f*cking movie and inspire somebody....but that irrelevant in this thread....This thread is about DeMerit's movie. 

So simple, eh?

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
The sad thing is there are people who believe this load of crap.  There are countless players who started in the Non League who had decent stays in the Premier League, Paul Furlong, Jason Roberts, George Elokobi, Chris Smalling, etc., etc..  His story is only significant because stupid American "fans" don't realize this and he only played one season in the Premier League in which Watford were relegated.
You have a small point, but if you lived in England and followed football here, from top to bottom you wouldn't go on like that.
Yes, the internet is handy but if you see the amount of people who get knock backs it is a good story.

You used Paul Furlong as an example. Paul Furlong made it in 1988 when he was playing for Enfield FC. Making it from Non-League to the top back end was ALOT easier. My godfather used to go and watch PF play back in the day so I know his story well. In fact I played for EFC as a child so I saw his pictures etc in the clubhouse. You can mention Staurt Pearce, Ian Wright, Pardrew, Finnan, Collymore etc = Different ERA - BIG TIME. When you would have Division 1, as it was known back then, scouts at non-league game everyweek. These days PL clubs can just go out and buy a cheaper player or a ready made multi-millonaire  player and with the European Union opened up it makes it a lot easier to get CHEAPER foreign imports.

I'm not mocking Jason but Jason was always going to get a chance, It's who you know at times. I respect that he made it and I love that he represents (represented) but with 3 uncles who played pro football, espeicaly as Cyrille as his uncle, he was always going to have hook ups.

Beckford made it from Non-League but played for Chelsea first. So he had a good record people knew about him and remembered him, it was just matter of time and staying applied. Same with DJ Campbell, he played for Villa but got his girl pregnant at 16 and was a likkle bad bwoy who didn't want to listen to anyone Lol

DeMerit came here with nothing on his back, the Chiago fire dev team he played for was loosely connected.

If you see the amount of players that get knock backs here. The amount of players who make it from non-league.It's RARE to see them go from Non-League to PREMIER League. DeMerit/Beckford/Elokobi/DJ Campbell were playing RYMAN lol If you go to Ryman games you have to respect who makes it from Ryman trust me! I go and watch throughout the year. It's easier to make it from Conference National/South/North because it's less regionalised.

I've seen 100s who are good enough, IMO and others, not make it for many reasons.

Question: How many League 1/League 2 English born players do you see get signed to PL clubs over other players from abroad/Came through academies?

Like Ray Lewington said on the video: Less than 1% make it. That is a fact!

In short: It's not a load of crap. It must be over hyped in the USA but please respect people journey because it is hard in England to make. Not as simple as you make it out to be.
Some times to even get a trial or a scout to come down can be hell. It's not countless as you make out. You see players from abroad or a handful of academy players, make it (I mean establish youself) in the PL everyyear, get in every transfer window. Non-League players are not signed to the PL as common as that, sometimes it's years between players making it from Non-League to PL.

Paul, wasn't a good example to use. I'm not mocking you, but telling you as it is. 1988 is different to 2011. Teams didn't have millions to spend, the would HAVE to go down to places like Southbury Road.

Also, just to rememeber, it's just one mans journey. There is lots of other REAL crap out there on TV/Film etc and not much people make up noise about it. You always have the option not to take notice lol. It's a PRODUCT, they have to SELL IT! HYPE IT UP! They're have to promote their thing, but still, it is not as common and easy as you make out.

Some more would make it if they moved out their area or went foreign, then try to return

Anyway: One of the best stories for me was Savidan who played for Caen.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:41:24 PM by Carib-Briton »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:17 PM »
I don't know where to begin to respond to all that.

I respect your opinion because I know you know Ryman League and are there amongst it.  You know I like the Ryman League and NPL, etc. with all the Caribbean players and I don't get much of a chance to watch it other than highlights.

How long was he playing there though?  A year about to my knowledge, its not like he was cutting his teeth there for years, it seems more like just a case of the Fire missing out on whatever ability he had.  He played for one of the better college teams in the country here, I know for a fact that there are scouts at their matches so he must've had some connections here, if not there.

Maybe there aren't as many players getting scouted below the Conference North/South but I've seen stories on Sky about players who are younger and maybe in their reserve teams...West Ham signed a guy last year named Paul something in these circumstances.  Theres also this guy Aris Guerin-Lokonga who recently had a trial at Sunderland...never even heard of the club he plays for (and thats saying something).  Even from the internet (Sky Transfer Centre) its clear that there are at least some scouts out there in the Non-League with all the "non-league hotshots" being tracked.  Of course there won't be scouts out at every game considering how many matches there are between tiers 7 and 10.

Yes 1% make it, some end up going to jail (half-Grenadian Ashley Sestanovich), some quit to shoot (behind the camera) porn (Kieran McAnespie), some just give up and maybe play Sunday League, some who are good enough get ground up doing hard labor during the week and can't play to their potential, and most seem to just play out their careers down there and if they're lucky scrape in to League 2 (like Jefferson Louis).  I don't respect DJ Campbell or Wade Elliott any more because they made it from at one point playing Non League for a short time.  Beckford may have started at Chelsea Academy but he played for I think 3-4 years for Wealdstone before making it back in to the League with Leeds.  DeMerit played at one of the top soccer schools here and then played for the Fire reserves, its not that different just a different country.  Furthermore he had a college education, so I doubt he was going to be living on the street if he didn't make it.

Its not just the media hyping it up.  There are people who when I tell I can't stand any US "fans" or players they say "well what about Jay DeMerit even you have to admit thats an amazing story."  These are people who've never heard of League One much less anything below it yet they are certain it is the greatest story of perseverance since Rocky.

One guy I am impressed with is Marvin Bartley currently of Burnley who bounced around the lower leagues before signing for Bournemouth who were in League Two at the time...as I recall he was working as a window fitter prior to signing.

On an unrelated note, it seems Enfield (and Enfield Town) gets its fair share of Caribbean guys, Ellis Remy (Montserrat), Ryan Edgar (Dominica), Clydie Roberts (Guyana), Furlong, and yourself being examples off the top of my head.  Edgar and Roberts are both Defoe's cousins as well though I don't know if they're related.  Looking at some of the names in Town's current squad Wesley Beckles must have some Caribbean blood, maybe Aaron Cato too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:55:12 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:52 AM »

I respect your opinion because I know you know Ryman League and are there amongst it.  You know I like the Ryman League and NPL, etc. with all the Caribbean players and I don't get much of a chance to watch it other than highlights.

How long was he playing there though?  A year about to my knowledge, its not like he was cutting his teeth there for years, it seems more like just a case of the Fire missing out on whatever ability he had.  He played for one of the better college teams in the country here, I know for a fact that there are scouts at their matches so he must've had some connections here, if not there.

Maybe there aren't as many players getting scouted below the Conference North/South but I've seen stories on Sky about players who are younger and maybe in their reserve teams...West Ham signed a guy last year named Paul something in these circumstances.  Theres also this guy Aris Guerin-Lokonga who recently had a trial at Sunderland...never even heard of the club he plays for (and thats saying something).  Even from the internet (Sky Transfer Centre) its clear that there are at least some scouts out there in the Non-League with all the "non-league hotshots" being tracked.  Of course there won't be scouts out at every game considering how many matches there are between tiers 7 and 10.

Yes 1% make it, some end up going to jail (half-Grenadian Ashley Sestanovich), some quit to shoot (behind the camera) porn (Kieran McAnespie), some just give up and maybe play Sunday League, some who are good enough get ground up doing hard labor during the week and can't play to their potential, and most seem to just play out their careers down there and if they're lucky scrape in to League 2 (like Jefferson Louis).  I don't respect DJ Campbell or Wade Elliott any more because they made it from at one point playing Non League for a short time.  Beckford may have started at Chelsea Academy but he played for I think 3-4 years for Wealdstone before making it back in to the League with Leeds.  DeMerit played at one of the top soccer schools here and then played for the Fire reserves, its not that different just a different country.  Furthermore he had a college education, so I doubt he was going to be living on the street if he didn't make it.

Its not just the media hyping it up.  There are people who when I tell I can't stand any US "fans" or players they say "well what about Jay DeMerit even you have to admit thats an amazing story."  These are people who've never heard of League One much less anything below it yet they are certain it is the greatest story of perseverance since Rocky.

One guy I am impressed with is Marvin Bartley currently of Burnley who bounced around the lower leagues before signing for Bournemouth who were in League Two at the time...as I recall he was working as a window fitter prior to signing.

On an unrelated note, it seems Enfield (and Enfield Town) gets its fair share of Caribbean guys, Ellis Remy (Montserrat), Ryan Edgar (Dominica), Clydie Roberts (Guyana), Furlong, and yourself being examples off the top of my head.  Edgar and Roberts are both Defoe's cousins as well though I don't know if they're related.  Looking at some of the names in Town's current squad Wesley Beckles must have some Caribbean blood, maybe Aaron Cato too.

Okay, I hear your point. Mines still stands though Lol  ;D

*Edited* too much personal info and wasn't responed to anyway :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:34:23 PM by Carib-Briton »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

Its very clear your problem is not with Demerit and his remarkable story, but with your own stereotype of 'stupid american fans'. This is where you are getting confused in this thread.
Hart for president

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
Thanks for info Carib-Briton, its always nice to learn about some of these players' backgrounds.
Its very clear your problem is not with Demerit and his remarkable story, but with your own stereotype of 'stupid american fans'. This is where you are getting confused in this thread.
I don't think I'm confused, I think I made this point about not hating DeMerit personally quite clear earlier in the thread (see Reply #10).  That being said I still don't think its remarkable.

1]; } ?>