April 26, 2024, 02:56:10 PM

Author Topic: Billy Sharp – A Goal From Heaven  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Billy Sharp – A Goal From Heaven
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »

http://awkwardlytalented.net/2011/11/02/billy-sharp-a-goal-from-heaven/

In the footballing world money can buy you the best players on the market, fancy cars, big houses, the best boots but one thing that money can’t buy and that’s class. Doncaster Rovers player Billy Sharp is a strong man and a man that great will, on Saturday he lost his two day old son Luey Jacob Sharp.

Two days after the death of his son Doncaster Rovers had a match against Middlesbrough in the nPower Championship, when players lose loved one they are always given a leave of absence, however Billy didn’t take it, instead he called up his manager and asked him if he could play.

“He rung me and asked if he could play – he wanted to play. He wanted to score a goal for his son and his family and he was ready to go. When he said that to me I couldn’t really refuse.”

Sharp was back in the lineup after missing the match on Saturday against Coventry and was given the captain’s armband. Moments before kick-off a message was read to the supporters.

“This is a minute’s applause to celebrate the short life of Billy and Jade’s son Jacob Sharp. “Born 27th October, taken by the angels on the 29th. Sleep tight son.”

14 minutes into the match and Billy scored a volley which opened the scoring in the match, he then removed his jersey to reveal a message that said:

“That’s for you, son.

In football the gesture of removing your jersey to reveal something on your shirt is a yellow card but the referee on the day did not present one to Billy, a sign of respect. Doncaster went on to lose the match 3-1 but the real winner on the day was the family of Billy Sharp and football.

This is a moment that should never be forgotten by anyone seeing that Carlos Tevez who is paid £250,000 a week refused to enter a match as asubstitute because he didn’t feel like it and Billy Sharp who is paid £10,000 a week played despite tragedy.

Well Done Billy!

Rest In Peace Luey Jacob Sharp.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: Billy Sharp – A Goal From Heaven
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »
Billy Sharp teaches prima-donnas a lesson

It’s not often you get a lump in your throat over football these days, unless of course you happen to see your credit card statement after buying tickets for a family of three to go and see Bolton vs Wigan in the Carling Cup.  Understandable really, with so many highly-paid players failing to deliver on the pitch and imploding/exploding (Nile Ranger/Mario Balotelli) off it, it is easy to see why Joe Public feels at best apathetic, at worst completely emotionally disconnected from the players they once worshipped. If it’s not faux badge-kissing, it’s drink driving, adultery, posing with replica firearms (sorry Nile), accusations of racism and crucially in the context of this article….refusing to play (warm up/whatever).

Carols Tevez is a very fortunate man. He should realise this. Tevez is paid more in one month than I’m paid in 20 years, than some people earn in 40 years, than some hard-working Manchester City fans earn in their whole working lives. So his decision to refuse to pull a few sprints/lunges/groin stretches and pull on the sky blue of Manchester City in a high-profile Champions League match would pang of arrogance, selfishness and downright ungrateful behaviour purely in normal context. However, if you look at the last seven days in the life of Doncaster Rovers striker Billy Sharp, then the whole Tevez affair can and should be placed into a very different perspective.

On Saturday, Sharp’s newborn son Luie Jacob tragically died just hours into his life. The emotional turmoil and heartache of the death of your child is unbearable at any time, however the loss of such a young life must be particularly hard to take. Yet, rather than curl up in a ball and take time out from football, which he would have been completely entitled to do given the circumstances, Sharp called his manager Dean Saunders and asked to play against Middlesbrough in last night’s Championship clash at the Keepmoat Stadium. Saunders said that, “Billy rang me on Monday night and asked to play. He wanted to score a goal for his son and his family and I couldn’t refuse.”

Showing super-human strength, Sharp lined up for Donny, determined to honour the memory of his son. And, following two-minutes applause, Sharp achieved his wish, with a stunning volley which flew into the back of the net in the 13th minute –  a fitting tribute which was mirrored as Sharp lifted his shirt to show the words ‘That’s for you son’ underneath.

Of course, football was of secondary importance last night. What happened on the field was of less significance than the intent and attitude displayed by a man at his lowest ebb. Did he shy away from his profession, or did he step up to the plate and produce a performance to honour his late son and his family? There wouldn’t be a member of staff at Doncaster Rovers FC who would have expected Sharp to play that game, however, whilst it was a match against Boro, rather than Bayern Munich, such is the professionalism, commitment to his team mates, family and the sport, Sharp rolled up his sleeves, chased every ball and ran himself into the ground for his club.

So, Mr Tevez, when you’re complaining about being fined £800,000 for refusing to do your job on the biggest stage in European football, don’t try and wriggle out of it on a technicality, instead, take a look across to South Yorkshire where a consumate professional footballer, earning a wage which wouldn’t cover your goal bonus, put his heartache aside for 90 minutes in memory of his son. At a time when football continues to dominate the headlines for all the wrong reasons, credit to Billy Sharp for restoring some pride and passion into our game.

In the meantime, Nile Ranger hasn’t been arrested in the last 48 hours, is anyone else concerned?

This article originally appeared on AREYOUPIMP - a blog by MSS member Ste Dunne
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »
Just wanted to say that I truly feel for this guy and his wife.
Last year I almost had a catasthrophic incident with my 3yr old on the golf course, thankfully all turned out well but I still shudder when I think about it or he reminds me about it.
Normally I would've just read this story and moved on to the next bit of news, but since I'm a father now, everything is looked at from a different perspective now.
Nothing matters more than your family!!
Feliz

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »
blessings to you and the fam Feliz...saw the highlights on SKY sports news...and felt it...nothing else really matters
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »
Touching story... remember the incident with your son too Feliz, I guess I didn't fully appreciate the danger he was in.  Happy to know that he would be safe after all.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:37 AM »
Just wanted to say that I truly feel for this guy and his wife.
Last year I almost had a catasthrophic incident with my 3yr old on the golf course, thankfully all turned out well but I still shudder when I think about it or he reminds me about it.
Normally I would've just read this story and moved on to the next bit of news, but since I'm a father now, everything is looked at from a different perspective now.
Nothing matters more than your family!!

:thumbsup:  Yes brother...
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 05:11:05 AM »
Kudos also to the referee who had the presence of mind NOT to book sharp for lifting his shirt. Always good to see common sense prevail  :beermug:

And as stated above, it was an amazing act of courage.  :beermug:

1]; } ?>