March 28, 2024, 07:22:45 AM

Author Topic: Birchall stars in starting role for LA  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Birchall stars in starting role for LA
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
Birchall stars in starting role for LA
By Larry Morgan (LAGalaxy.com)

The LA Galaxy’s Chris Birchall has exactly one MLS goal to his credit since he signed with the club in July of 2009. He also has just three assists.

He missed getting his name on the score sheet again in Thursday night’s 2-1 victory over the New York Red Bulls in Game Two of their Western Conference Semifinals Series at The Home Depot Center, but it would be a mistake to underestimate his contributions to the hard-earned triumph.

The 27-year-old, pressed into starting duty in central midfield because of the one-game suspension of Juninho for his part in last Sunday’s brawl following the series opener, was one of the unsung heroes in the rematch despite being credited with only one shot attempt and one foul committed.

Birchall doesn’t get the recognition of a David Beckham or a Landon Donovan nor does he possess the flashy skills of his more publicized teammates, but what he does offer is strong defensive play in the center of the park, something the Galaxy were counting on Thursday.

“Chris Birchall was an absolute beast,” raved the Galaxy’s Mike Magee, who scored Thursday’s tying goal in the 42nd minute after the Red Bulls has taken a 1-0 lead on Luke Rodgers’ goal in the fourth minute of play. “I think it took him and all of us in the midfield about 10 minutes to get our bearings, but as you can see he had (Thierry) Henry and about four other guys buzzing around in the middle of the field.

“He did an amazing job doing it by himself. You can’t say enough good things about what Birchy did tonight.”

Magee said he wasn’t surprised at all by Birchall’s standout effort.

“I’ve seen Birchy play for three years,” Magee said, “and he’s an amazing player and a guy that would be starting day in and day out for any other team.”

Birchall, who played the final seven minutes of last Sunday’s 1-0 victory, got the word earlier this week from head coach Bruce Arena that he would be in the starting lineup and was thrilled he was back in the center of midfield, where he admitted he thrives.

“I just enjoy playing, especially playing my favorite position,” he said. “For me, my game is completely different. It’s just win tackles, be aggressive and give the balls to David and Landon and Mike Magee, players that can do something with it.

“When we have that combination, we’re a very good team.”

Birchall said he paid no attention to the so-called critics in the press who said the Galaxy would be in trouble without Juninho’s presence in midfield.

“To be honest,” Birchall said, “I didn’t listen to any of the press before. I’m not one of those who watches the pre-match things or anything like that. It’s up to those people to say that. It really doesn’t bother me.

“All I can do is go out and try and give the best I can, and hopefully I’ve done that tonight.”

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Birchall stars in starting role for LA
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
He had a decent game last night and played his role well in the mid-field. He did exactly what he was told to do, win tackles, be aggressive and pass the ball off to Donovan, Magee and Beckham. He even had a nice 20 yard shot that the keeper was forced to block which Keane followed up on the rebound and the keeper saved again.
I know the conference finals start on Sunday but I wonder when's the MLS final? Hope it does not conflict with WCQ.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »
I know the conference finals start on Sunday but I wonder when's the MLS final? Hope it does not conflict with WCQ.

November 20th.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
this is great news for us, corn curls, jones and birchall staring for their clubs :) we should be in good shape and match fit for guyana.

one thing about tnt, when our backs against the wall we perform. keep the faith.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »
Thanks Tallman. Yuh doh stick atall :beermug:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 03:00:53 PM »
this is great news for us, corn curls, jones and birchall staring for their clubs :) we should be in good shape and match fit for guyana.

one thing about tnt, when our backs against the wall we perform. keep the faith.
Doh count yuh chickens before they hatch eh !

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
Before he jets off to Trini.for the WC qualifier later this week.I'm gonna have another first hand opportunity of seeing Birchall performance vs Real Salt Lake in this evening's game at the home Depot Center. In Row 132 in my T&T Jersey as usual
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:41:38 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
Who all saw the match last night? Birchie was subbed in around the 63rd minute and did his thing. Also, I'm sure it's been said here before, but I'll say it again: Robbie Keane is a man amongst boys in the MLS.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
Who all saw the match last night? Birchie was subbed in around the 63rd minute and did his thing. Also, I'm sure it's been said here before, but I'll say it again: Robbie Keane is a man amongst boys in the MLS.

That's the same thing I used to say about Becks... :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
Becks could still play for England. The man is the best player in the MLS. Watching that fella play is nice. Was never a huge fan of him but last it really kinda sink in how good this fella is. I think he became more of a total player in the MLS.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
Becks could still play for England. The man is the best player in the MLS. Watching that fella play is nice. Was never a huge fan of him but last it really kinda sink in how good this fella is. I think he became more of a total player in the MLS.
Or maybe he just looks better because the rest of the league is so crappy.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »

That to, but I more looking at how much in the game he is actually involved in. How much he is willing to work hard, play various position, etc.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »

That to, but I more looking at how much in the game he is actually involved in. How much he is willing to work hard, play various position, etc.

I used to not rate him either, until he went Real Madrid. In the 2005 season I think, he was the best player on the field for long stretches of the season, and that was saying a lot. I used to think he was overrated, but then he went to Real Madrid.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
Building on the comments above ... Beckham would have added a lot to England in South Africa.

For similar reasons as expressed by Bitter, I'm curious to see how Joe Cole progresses in France. Now, I've never thought Cole overrated, but there's always some dimension added to seeing how English players ... with some measure of quality ... express themselves outside the EPL.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Building on the comments above ... Beckham would have added a lot to England in South Africa.

For similar reasons as expressed by Bitter, I'm curious to see how Joe Cole progresses in France. Now, I've never thought Cole overrated, but there's always some dimension added to seeing how English players ... with some measure of quality ... express themselves outside the EPL.

Cole was always overrated, from his West Ham days he was dubbed as the new Gazza, and a replacement to Gascoigne, he has yet to deliver.

Birchall looked a little slow in his game last night.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 06:17:26 AM »
Big Up Birchall... fighter to the end...  :challenge:

1]; } ?>