April 20, 2024, 01:44:54 AM

Author Topic: Bertille St Clair Thread  (Read 21110 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do the right thing - Bertille's Philosophy
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
Do the right thing - Bertille's Philosophy
By Shaun Fuentes (T&T Guardian)

The phi­los­o­phy of sport is nev­er fixed. Its meth­ods de­mand an in­her­ent­ly self-crit­i­cal con­cep­tion of in­tel­lec­tu­al ac­tiv­i­ty; one that chal­lenges its pre­con­cep­tions and guid­ing prin­ci­ples con­tin­u­ous­ly both as to the na­ture and pur­pos­es of phi­los­o­phy and of sports. It draws up­on and de­vel­ops many of the di­verse branch­es of the par­ent dis­ci­pline, phi­los­o­phy, and re­flects a broad church of the­o­ret­i­cal po­si­tions and styles.

Re­cent­ly Eu­rosport high­light­ed ten sport­ing philoso­phers which they be­lieve were top of the pack. Among them was Bill Shankly, the leg­endary for­mer Liv­er­pool man­ag­er who took a club which lay at the bot­tom of the old Sec­ond Di­vi­sion and turned them in­to the best club in Eng­lish foot­ball. He mixed his man­age­r­i­al nous with a fine line in wit and wis­dom, how­ev­er, dis­pens­ing end­less ver­bal gems - in­clud­ing per­haps the most fa­mous quote in foot­ball his­to­ry. "Some peo­ple be­lieve foot­ball is a mat­ter of life and death, I am very dis­ap­point­ed with that at­ti­tude. I can as­sure you it is much, much more im­por­tant than that." In­clud­ed in that list was French­man Er­ic Can­tona. His ex­tra­or­di­nary philo­soph­i­cal in­tro­spec­tions al­lied to his of­ten bru­tal phys­i­cal na­ture which made him a leg­end, the re­port stat­ed. Then there was Muham­mad Ali, "As good a box­er as Ali was, any ob­jec­tive analy­sis has to show that his rep­u­ta­tion as "The Great­est" re­lied just as much on his flair for self-pro­mo­tion, ver­bal dex­ter­i­ty and pithy in­sights as his box­ing prowess."

I'd like to high­light some­one from our shores who I con­sid­er to be among the top lo­cal philoso­phers and dis­ci­pli­nar­i­ans in sport. He is for­mer Na­tion­al Foot­ball coach Bertille St Clair, the first man to guide Trinidad and To­ba­go to World Cup qual­i­fi­ca­tion in 1991 at the FI­FA Un­der-20 World Cup in Por­tu­gal. He al­so led T&T to its best-ever Gold Cup fin­ish, reach­ing the se­mi-fi­nal in the 2000 edi­tion. I spent a half-day on the first week­end of the year with Bertille at his sports shop in Scar­bor­ough and there are some be­liefs and quo­ta­tions that stood out.

"The foot­ball struc­ture has changed, The at­ti­tude has changed. It is so im­por­tant and coach­es must recog­nise that. What we do nor­mal­ly is that be­cause you are a good play­er you can do what you want," St Clair said dur­ing our chat.

"I am say­ing it is a lev­el play­ing field. I am con­tin­u­ing to say that if you have good dis­ci­pline you can be any­body. Our coach­es have to recog­nise that. Foot­ball is a lev­el play­ing field don’t care how good you are.

"If you are good you must set the stan­dard for the oth­ers to fol­low. Our coach­es are not strong enough to stand up for what they be­lieve."

Foot­ball has three As," he says. "The first one is the abil­i­ty and we are loaded with that in Trinidad and To­ba­go. The sec­ond one we are lack­ing is ag­gres­sion. We are laid back and the fi­nal one is an at­ti­tude and that goes for every­thing, even the coach­es. You have to set the stan­dard for every­one to fol­low.

"We need that in Trinidad and To­ba­go. Once you can get the play­ers to come to­geth­er and work, then the sky is the lim­it. But you have to do things step by step. Peo­ple learn dif­fer­ent­ly. There are no dunce peo­ple. Foot­ball is a brain game but there are no dunce peo­ple. Every­body doesn’t have the same type of tal­ent but we are all good enough to grow.

"Trinidad and To­ba­go has too much tal­ent for us to be in this sit­u­a­tion. We have to stand up for the right thing. Like I used to tell Dwight and Lat­apy when they come, I say, you see what you all do in Eng­land, do the same thing over here or take the next plane out. In Eng­land, you can’t do any­thing un­less the coach says. Peo­ple want to come and see you look the part. Pride is im­por­tant.

"The big ones set the stan­dard for the oth­ers to fol­low. Every­body has a part to play in life and you must re­spect each oth­er. There is Cap­i­tal D which is dis­ci­pline. You are here to do a job, then fo­cus on do­ing that. Do the right thing," St Clair con­tin­ued.

He had some wise words for the foot­ball lead­ers. "Uni­ty is strength and we need to un­der­stand that. We are all equal. In Trinidad, we think aye he is a big play­er and he is every­thing. It can­not be like that. Set the stan­dard and you can be any­thing you want to be. Foot­ball is a world game and every­one is look­ing for­ward to see­ing it so set the right ex­am­ple for the world to see.

We want our foot­ball to be el­e­vat­ed to the next lev­el. Foot­ball made me what I am. Peo­ple who are in po­si­tions must be com­mit­ted to tak­ing the foot­ball up­wards. You get back what you put in."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bertille St Clair Thread
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2020, 06:39:58 AM »
Finally recognised...St Clair takes deserved place in First Citizens Hall of Fame
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

BERTILLE ST CLAIR was in Trinidad, having been hospitalised with a heart issue when he was inducted into the 2020 First Citizens Foundation Hall of Fame. He is better now, back in Tobago and buoyed by finally having received national recognition while he is alive.

St Clair cherishes the occasions those around him have honoured him, like a year ago when a three-day extravaganza was held in his honour in Tobago. St Clair is equally pleased at being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

“Nothing happens before time,” said the 78-year-old, who confessed to feeling elated.

St Clair boasts a long history of achievement. He has coached national football teams at every level—Under-13, Under-16, Under-19, Under-23 and twice at senior level. He is still the only coach to have taken Trinidad and Tobago to the semi-finals of the Concacaf Gold Cup and also has five InterCol finals wins, during his time with Signal Hill Senior Comprehensive.

For St Clair, football was always about getting the best out of footballers. One could sense a smile on his face when he spoke of Dwight Yorke, a 10-year-old he put on the national Under-13 team for a Puerto Rico tournament despite objection from the then team manager.

“When I pick him, the manager said ‘where you going with that ‘lil boy,” St Clair recalls. “I told him, ‘who picking the team?’”

He remembers Yorke, a lanky Neil Shaka Hislop and cricketer Brian Lara as players he had selected after a national Under-13 team screening, and gave instruction that they return to St Augustine the next day.

“Lara was not a bad player,” he said. “After I choose him, the father tell Lara if is cricket ah go take yuh, but if yuh going to football, yuh go have to walk.”

That ended Lara’s football career, before he went on to become a record-breaking international cricketer.

St Clair rates Yorke, Russell Latapy and David Nakhid as the three most talented players he has worked with and he had a special place for Nakhid, who he said was a superb player who did subtle things other players didn’t and some coaches never recognised.

“Latapy was a good player, too,” said St Clair, who also rated the goalkeeping pair of Shaka and Clayton Ince among his top players along with Angus Eve who, he said, “did a lot for the country.”

St Clair recalls always having to discipline his stars, particularly Yorke and Latapy, who sometimes wanted to be apart from the team in private cars. A strict disciplinarian, St Clair would have none of it. The former Montgomery school teacher recalled dropping in at Canaan and seeing 10-year-old Dwight among big men, with a beer in hand.

“When he saw me, he dropped the beer,” recalled St Clair, who promptly gave Yorke push-ups to do.

He also sent Latapy home for coming late to national team practice, let Angus Eve run the side-lines for a training session for a similar infringement and warned Arnold Dwarika as well.

“On Charlotte Street I saw Arnold Dwarika, a very good player, drinking in a bar. I told him if I ever saw him in a bar again, then don’t come around again.”

St Clair felt Nakhid was one of those that led by example. And despite having to sometimes curb the former Manchester United striker’s activities, St Clair also praised Yorke for his dedication on the field because when others were scurrying away after training, Yorke remained on the field to do what he termed his “homework”.

St Clair recalled the bittersweet experience of coaching Trinidad and Tobago to its only Concacaf Gold Cup semi-final in 2000, but being fired immediately after. The Soca Warriors went down 1-0 to champions Canada although St Clair felt T&T should have at least reached the final.

Having taken care of Costa Rica 2-1 at the quarter-final stage, T&T dominated the Canadians although Yorke was injured and not playing. Outstanding keeper Craig Forrest kept Canada in the match with a series of good saves, including to Nakhid’s first-half penalty, before a defensive lapse saw Mark Watson’s 68th minute header win the match for Canada and the North Americans went on to beat Colombia 2-0 in the final.

An incident in Los Angeles on the morning of the match might have had a profound outcome. Yorke and Latapy wanted to travel in a private car while the rest of the team, including Dwarika, Nakhid, Anthony Rougier, Stokely Mason, Shurland David, Ancil Elcock, Marvin Andrews, Ince and Eve were expected to travel in the team bus.

“Latapy came to me and tell me that a lady came for Dwight and I,” said St Clair, who informed Latapy that all will be travelling in the team bus.

“In football, you have to have a level playing field. What is good for one, is good for all,” St Clair declared.

Like St Clair, Yorke, Latapy, Eve and Hislop are now also in the First Citizens Sports Foundation Hall of Fame. St Clair recalls Eve, now national Under-17 men’s coach, joking and stating, “all aboard” to the great entertainment of the others as the stars were forced to also ride in the team bus that morning.

Yorke was the designated penalty taker, followed by Latapy and Nakhid in that order.

“Latapy was to take that penalty but he was vexed because I did not give him the opportunity to travel in the car and didn’t,” St Clair stated. “David Nakhid tried to take it and he missed, and that is how we didn’t go on to the final of the Gold Cup.”

St Clair still has some underlying resentment, like having an unbeaten national Under-16 team taken from him and given to another coach, and also being replaced by Englishman Ian Potterfield immediately after giving the country its greatest success at the Gold Cup.

“They fire meh before I reach home,” St Clair stated.

As a schoolteacher, St Clair applied incentive and discipline to making players better, more disciplined people. He frowns on coaches who allow stars to do what they want,

“You have to lead by example,” he said. “We have an attitude that if you are a big player, you could go as you want. But if that same big player is injured, ent we have to play without him?” he asked.

“I used to tell Dwight Yorke and them ‘yuh see what you do in England, do the same thing here.’

“Discipline is for all and respect is mutual,” he said.

For St Clair, football was never about money since it was never motivation for a man who has lived simply and is dedicated to his vocation.

“I see all about, people suing the TTFA for millions of dollars,” St Clair said. “I could have sued, too. But I love my country. And I love football.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2020, 07:14:45 AM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago's most successful coach, Bertille St. Clair, explains his philosophy and experiences as a coach and teacher.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2PtCQe14D4c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2PtCQe14D4c</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St. Clair Academy assists Tobago’s needy
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 06:12:22 PM »
St. Clair Academy assists Tobago’s needy
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Former national football team coach Bertille St Clair and members of the Bertille St Clair Sporting Academy aided the Covid-19 relief effort with a distribution of food hampers in Tobago last week.

A recent inductee into the First Citizens Foundation Hall of Fame, 77-year-old St Clair donated food hampers to those in need in the Bethel, Canaan, Carnbee, Ottley Street, Signal Hill, Patience Hill and Bon Accord communities.

St Clair took Trinidad and Tobago to their only Concacaf Gold Cup football semi-final in 2000 and also got the Caribbean nation to the “Hex”, the final stage of qualifying for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, before being replaced in the latter stages by renowned Dutch coach Leo Benhakker.

St Clair boasts a long history of achievement. He has coached national football teams at every level — Under-13, Under-16, Under-19, Under-23 and the seniors twice. And he is still the only coach to have taken T&T to the semi-final stage of the Concacaf Gold Cup and also has five schoolboy football InterCol finals wins, during his time with Signal Hill Senior Comprehensive.

Having coached football, cricket and hockey, former school-teacher St Clair set up his own sporting Academy in 2019, having ended his long association with the St. Clair Coaching School. It is through his new academy that St Clair extended a helping hand. St Clair himself is just recovering from a heart ailment, having been hospitalised in Trinidad in March.

“We at the Bertille St Clair Sporting Academy thought it best to help the parents, and some of the elderly people who are not doing so well,” he told the Express.

“We got some funds put together and a lot of grocery items, a lot,” St Clair added, “We distributed at Fourth Street in Scarborough, to Signal Hill, Patience Hill, Bethel and into Canaan. Bon Accord. We went quite a few places.”

St Clair credits the initiative to Diane Thomas, manager of the one-year-old Bertille St Clair Sporting Academy. “She is the manager. She came up with the idea and they came by me and we got it going,” he said. Thomas said it was a spur of the moment thing after seeing the need in Tobago. Members immediately dived into action. “Some of the members donated financially while others donated food stuff, with which we made up the hampers,” Thomas said.

Of those helped, some were living under dire conditions, even before the Covid-19 pandemic struck, and graciously accepted whatever help came their way. “One of the persons we helped had seven children and her mother had no feet,” Thomas said.

“There are still a lot of people in need,” Thomas added. “We will still try to help them.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2020, 02:26:14 PM »
St Clair took Trinidad and Tobago to their only Concacaf Gold Cup football semi-final in 2000 and also got the Caribbean nation to the “Hex”, the final stage of qualifying for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, before being replaced in the latter stages by renowned Dutch coach Leo Benhakker.

Not trying to pour water on Bertille's accolades, he did a hell of a job in that tournament, remember Kevin Verity almost got us to the 74 WC. The tournament served as  WC qualifying.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
Former Trinidad and Tobago national football coach Bertille St Clair describes his coaching legacy, Signal Hill, the making of Dwight Yorke and the three ‘A’s’ of developing talent.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iOufeZnq6G0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iOufeZnq6G0</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
Pure headache to get BSC to give tactical responses.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2021, 08:14:25 AM »
Signal Hill, the Green Machine, and later Malick with Dwarika used to leave me awestruck. Those teams used to ball under high pressure.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2021, 03:02:59 PM »
posted a response, but it seems to have been removed or deleted.    ??? ???

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2021, 03:21:26 PM »
posted a response, but it seems to have been removed or deleted.    ??? ???

Shite, that was a great post. I made two attempts at responding to it and deleted my posts because the configuration was off while trying to bolden parts of yours. It appears I deleted your post in doing so. It might be in another window. Hold tight.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:24:03 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2021, 03:25:48 PM »
So I finally listened to the rest. I think you might of missed the forest for the trees. He has a philosophy not really particular tactics.
I can follow because I experienced similar coaches and think I adopted some of that. It is very basic, so much so that the tactic is oft times missed or overlooked. No magic formulas. Final product therefore is based on what is believed to be best selections for position, based on attitudes, passion, fitness and development.
In my opinion, therein lies the weakness. His philosophy on the international level does not consider the opposition. He puts what he considers his best on the field, they are trained to maintain their strengths, improve their weaknesses and let the chips fall where they may. 3 G’s, 3 A’s. No consideration of what type of players, tactics or coaching the opposition has. Thus he knows his players but has no idea, what they’re facing.
With technology and media, modern coaches have the advantage of knowing what and who they are facing and develop tactics to suite, in addition to picking their best team available.

no: he could speak at length of his teams, but hardly anything about the opposing teams, won or lost. We did this, we did that. We win, we lost  late. What did they do to beat your team was a question that should have been asked ? And he probably won’t have had much of an answer, except to possibly say what his charges may have done incorrectly.

I like his philosophy,  as I say, football isn’t rocket science, however today it has become more studied and scientific, besides changes in society and social values. Thus every facet to get a positive result ( win or lose) should be explored. A sportsman in an environment where he can achieve riches does not hold the same value in society, as a sportsman where that same activity is just a recreation. There are many levels in between and thus different levels of motivation to each individual perception.

I observed BSc NT training once and what I noticed most was buff and shouting. It was later explained that he is a disciplinarian and many TT youths only respond at the time to such. Go with a softer approach they think you’re soft and sometimes develop disrespectful attitudes or behaviour. I didn’t get it at the time, but the more I observed other cultural habits there, I noticed how pervasive that method of communication was. I still think doh, mutual respect can be achieved somewhere in between, however it’s a theory I myself have been unable to test. I would like one day to discuss SH experience with him, given the opportunity.

:beermug:

All reports Canadian and Trinbagonian indicate that as a coach SH struck and strikes a good balance between carrot and stick. At the end of the day, that comes down to personality and personal experiences (lived+learned) brought to the job.

I am curious what other posters think about BSC.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:18:56 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2021, 03:34:36 PM »
I had modified and expanded on that response in what I deleted. Will try to reproduce it a bit later. The modified version was a much longer response.

One point I submitted is that I saw/heard a forest that was discipline, discipline, discipline, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE and no tree of any other stripe.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2021, 07:13:17 AM »
So I finally listened to the rest. I think you might of missed the forest for the trees. He has a philosophy not really particular tactics.
I can follow because I experienced similar coaches and think I adopted some of that. It is very basic, so much so that the tactic is oft times missed or overlooked. No magic formulas. Final product therefore is based on what is believed to be best selections for position, based on attitudes, passion, fitness and development.
In my opinion, therein lies the weakness. His philosophy on the international level does not consider the opposition. He puts what he considers his best on the field, they are trained to maintain their strengths, improve their weaknesses and let the chips fall where they may. 3 G’s, 3 A’s. No consideration of what type of players, tactics or coaching the opposition has. Thus he knows his players but has no idea, what they’re facing.
With technology and media, modern coaches have the advantage of knowing what and who they are facing and develop tactics to suite, in addition to picking their best team available.

no: he could speak at length of his teams, but hardly anything about the opposing teams, won or lost. We did this, we did that. We win, we lost  late. What did they do to beat your team was a question that should have been asked ? And he probably won’t have had much of an answer, except to possibly say what his charges may have done incorrectly.

I like his philosophy,  as I say, football isn’t rocket science, however today it has become more studied and scientific, besides changes in society and social values. Thus every facet to get a positive result ( win or lose) should be explored. A sportsman in an environment where he can achieve riches does not hold the same value in society, as a sportsman where that same activity is just a recreation. There are many levels in between and thus different levels of motivation to each individual perception.

I observed BSc NT training once and what I noticed most was buff and shouting. It was later explained that he is a disciplinarian and many TT youths only respond at the time to such. Go with a softer approach they think you’re soft and sometimes develop disrespectful attitudes or behaviour. I didn’t get it at the time, but the more I observed other cultural habits there, I noticed how pervasive that method of communication was. I still think doh, mutual respect can be achieved somewhere in between, however it’s a theory I myself have been unable to test. I would like one day to discuss SH experience with him, given the opportunity.

1. Football may not be rocket science but it IS complex. I know that there is a school of thought that promotes that it is simple, but proponents of that view will have a hard time convincing Klopp, Guardiola, Bielsa, or Heinze. None of that is to say that there are aspects that do not need to be complicated. However, it is also a case of beauty (simplicity or moderate complexity or complexity) is in the eye of the beholder.

2. Yesterday, I was viewing Brazil playing in 1970. Zagallo had rigorously studied the opposition. It reflected in the play. If you ask Zagallo in 2020 about his tactical disposition during 1970, he can tell you. If you ask him this morning, he can tell you. Why can't BSC? (Doesn't?) To the comments you rendered, I add: I doh think it is a function of amnesia.

3. I don't think Zagallo was a pioneer standing all by himself 15-20 years before BSC.

4. Listen to BSC and he wasn't short of confidence. Or pride. See 5.

5. I think BSC suffered from some of the same malady you suggested afflicted Clauzel. (I gave Clauzel the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure that I am going that route here).

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:21:11 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2021, 07:32:18 AM »

... It was later explained that he is a disciplinarian and many TT youths only respond at the time to such. Go with a softer approach they think you’re soft and sometimes develop disrespectful attitudes or behaviour. I didn’t get it at the time, but the more I observed other cultural habits there, I noticed how pervasive that method of communication was. ..

Including allegedly coming to blows.

A player told me he wanted out of his club because the coach had just shown a player who was man and that he wasn't accustomed to that dynamic between coaches and players.

I gather things returned to 'normal' but it was never back to normal for that player. Foreign ballers doh buy in to our "cultural habits".

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2021, 09:21:35 AM »
You know, I once had a thought. I wondered if in some (maybe most) cases the perceived indiscipline to others, but the player disciplined to self and the sport is what makes many exceptional players achieve. They not being afraid to step out of the norm and do the things that not even the coach could teach or develop, yet do it successfully. And the crowd goes wild and everybody say great, and the coach look like a genius. Of Course it can be more detrimental in a team sport.

I can give a few examples I'm sure many will agree of the indiscipline of some of the best players that represented TT.

In my own experience, some of my most talented players were rogues, so my strategy was to manage their indiscipline and not have that spread throughout the rest of the team. In most cases it worked, however, where that strategy failed was when those players were stressed or pressured, they became even more individualistic to the detriment of the team. I countered with having the less talented, more disciplined players cover for those instances, however it demanded a change of personnel during the game, and as changes were limited, it mostly served to change tactics, which didn't work in the most critical game, the final.
It like a brilliant kid in an average class, becoming bored and getting into trouble. Termed deviant and ostracized.

you're so right about the usual Foreign ballers. However, in foreign I coached one of the few black teams in our new at the time Semi Pro league.

I miss working with players, As i said my greatest coaching experience was with kids, as I had to teach and thus I learned more of the game.

Some of my best charges on that team were a drug runner (assassinated -RIP), a bank robber(Phd who could not get work,RIP), 2 introverts (1 heart issues- RIP), alcoholic, a couple small business men (barber, shoemaker, Jazz musician), illegal immigrant - Morocco. These were outstanding above average ballers, the other guys were good model citizen and good players as well.  I didn't try to control them, I didn't have the capacity to choose them, the owner made the choice. I managed them but couldn't really say I coached them. One managed to make Canada and did well for a bit, another made St Kitts and Nevis but died before he played international. I couldn't take credit for their development or games we won, especially as we maybe had 2 full practices for the season, most of the time was just I and the 10 or so disciplined players, but I managed to keep them on the same page, and I studied the opposing teams, and gave my strategies in the warm up.

Years later when i run into a few, most thanked me for a job well done, a couple of the model citizens who later became better players thanked me for making them better players, but chastised me for not playing them enough. I long time learned in coaching, win or lose, you won't ever please everybody. You could only stick with your philosophy and make adjustment as you learn and whatever cards you're dealt with.

In my opinion, some coaches who may have been great at one time, get stuck on the philosophy and disregard the learning and adjustment. I always wonder what type of coach I'd be if I didn't step back. I honestly hoped I coulda of had the talent of an SH. I think his greatest strength as you mentioned is balanced communication. However, I didn't think I would have ever attaind that level at the time in this city. With the New Impact coach, things might be changing doh. Yet I see coaches have to give their life (and sometimes family) to the job. Not sure I wanted that, how about you seeker ? I feel you dun commit ahready, for better or for worse.   :devil: :beermug:  :rotfl:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2021, 01:25:57 PM »
I thought Nancy merited the look before Henry, but they wanted a brand name. There's a gold mine of talent in the city and he might be the one to connect the dots.

Yuh ever read The Old Man and the Sea?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2021, 05:27:11 PM »
I thought Nancy merited the look before Henry, but they wanted a brand name. There's a gold mine of talent in the city and he might be the one to connect the dots.

Yes. I don't know him personally, I have seen him around awhile. I saw his charges play against a Jnr TFC team, my bud son was on that team. Their (Impact) play, formation and technical and tactical abilties were on point. I believeknow he knows the team and the city. I think he would do a good job. However, we know how the institutionalized system sometimes work and there is always, always 'fren' thing, even with successes.
Yes, on the book, but it was almost 50 yrs ago. Remind me, is it a similar fella like us with a donkey or a Vene. ?  :-[

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2021, 06:37:01 PM »

Yes. I don't know him personally, I have seen him around awhile. I saw his charges play against a Jnr TFC team, my bud son was on that team. Their (Impact) play, formation and technical and tactical abilties were on point. I believeknow he knows the team and the city. I think he would do a good job. However, we know how the institutionalized system sometimes work and there is always, always 'fren' thing, even with successes.
Yes, on the book, but it was almost 50 yrs ago. Remind me, is it a similar fella like us with a donkey or a Vene. ?  :-[

Ah ole fisherman reels in a BIG marlin. Goes far beyond his usual fishing ground to get it. Before that he went WEEKS without ketching even a 'wabeen'. On de way back he feeling NICE, but de sharks feeling nicer cause dey doh hadda work for dinner. By de time he touch land, de marlin is a skeleton, de sharks fully satisfied, and de ole man MASH UP from battling de fish and de sharks. Mission accomplished?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »
 :beermug: :chilling:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2024, 03:09:58 PM »
Bertille St Clair among 21 sporting titans honoured at SHAPE launch
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

Legendary Tobago football coach Bertille St Clair was one of 21 stalwarts recognised for their years of service within their communities on Monday, when the Ministry of Sport and Community Development launched their 2024 Sport, Health, Athletic Performance Empowerment (SHAPE) programme at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

St Clair coached Trinidad and Tobago's football teams at various youth levels and he has the distinction of being the only coach to take Trinidad and Tobago's senior team to the semi-finals of the Concacaf Gold Cup – a feat they managed in the 2000 edition of the tournament. He was also the coach of the Soca Warriors in the successful 2006 World Cup campaign, before being replaced by Dutchman Leo Beenhakker.

St Clair also brought Signal Hill Secondary to prominence in the 1980s, with Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) league and national intercol titles.

St Clair is also widely regarded as one of the main forces who influenced the career of former Soca Warriors captain Dwight Yorke, who had an outstanding career with Manchester United, with success in the English Premier League and Uefa Champions League.

The former Trinidad and Tobago coach was not present to receive his award, but the VIP lounge at the Hasely Crawford Stadium was swarmed by sporting pioneers who have dedicated their lives to bettering the youth in the communities through activities such as dance, cricket, rugby, football, netball, track and field and so many more.

Two of the awardees, Rhonda Jones and Preston Nanan, told Newsday they were grateful to be acknowledged for their work and they said it gives them additional motivation to keep pushing the youths to excel.

Jones, a former coach of Trinidad and Tobago's youth female cricket teams from 2009-2014, was recognised for contribution in the sports of netball, football and her first love, cricket. Meanwhile, Nanan, who has been working in sport for over 30 years, was rewarded for his immense contribution to football.

Nanan's San Fernando Sports Academy has produced quality players such as 16-year-old St Benedict's College and Premier SC striker Malachi Webb, who has been selected on the Trinidad and Tobago's under-20 men's football team for the Concacaf under-20 championship qualifiers.

Nanan founded the San Fernando Sports Academy NGO over 15 years ago, with former Naparima goalkeeper Levi Fernandez and 2022 SSFL MVP Tarik Lee being two other high-profile graduates of the programme.

"It is a great accomplishment and a great feeling to know you coach these young guys and now you are seeing them on TV," Nanan told Newsday.

"It is a great feeling to know you have been honoured ...it is a great thing to recognise people for their work.

"Sometimes, these people go unnoticed for the work they do; and they have great influence in their communities, spending time with children and nurturing them and training them and giving them the courage they need."

Jones, a teacher for over 30 years, is extremely passionate about her La Horquetta community, and in 2009, she started the LH Movers Sports and Cultural Committee following the spate of murders in and around her community. Jones' brother lost his life, after a life of crime, and she remains committed on her quest to steer the youth of her community away from nefarious activities.

"I was always battling behind the scenes and that kind of thing," Jones said, reflecting on her community involvement prior to forming the committee.

"I decided I would come forward and let people know we could do so much more. We got some like-minded people together and we formed the committee. Since then, we have been doing so much."

Jones said the LH Movers Sports and Cultural Committee hosts a plethora of social, cultural and sporting events, and the recent Carnival season saw them teaching youngsters about the traditions of the festival to try and foster a greater appreciation for its roots.

While Jones is appreciative of the award, she said the hard work must go on.

"For me, getting this award is just saying: 'your work was recognised and it was not in vain.' And I will continue – whether another award comes my way or not – until God says no more.

"In my community, it is needed. It is really needed because it is really sad when I hear gunshots as opposed to a ball bouncing. I will go for a ball any day. I will give them a bat and a ball. That is just me."

21 Community Sport Titans honoured:
Trevor Alleyne (Cricket)
Charmain Archer (Netball)
Brian Browne (Cricket, Football)
Randolf Cato (Dragon boat)
Verna Edwards (Table tennis, Track and Field) – Posthumous
Nikeisha Felix-Lewis (Cricket, Netball)
Gerard Franklyn (Track and Field)
Wade Franklyn (Track and Field)
Roger Frontin (Cycling)
Vishnu Gokool (Cricket, Table tennis)
Ulric "Buggy" Haynes (Football)
Rudolph Jack (Rugby)
Rhonda Jones (Cricket, Football and Netball)
Ingrid Maxwell (Cricket)
Ray Mitchell (Football)
Preston Nanan (Football)
Willet Pantor (Rugby)
Verlyn Ross (Rugby and Tagby)
Reynold Sewdass (Cricket)
Bertille St Clair (Football)
Lana Lisa Thompson (Dance)

1]; } ?>