March 28, 2024, 05:27:24 AM

Author Topic: playing for pride.  (Read 1080 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
playing for pride.
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
Where and when exactly did this term derive? was it before or after the fact, or should it be before and not after the fact.

i know one things for sure, when i see any latin american team take to the field, those guy are out there not for the sake of money, recognition, female affection, or props, but to put their country on the world map by playing for nothing but 100% pure unadulterated PRIDE!!

i don't know who remembers the last game of the WC when we played paraguay?  those guys had nothing to play for, but they were not about to be put to shame by ah bunch of concacaf whiping boys.

bad enough that they had to lose to two european light weights, but to finish last in ah group of underachievers was not their way of ending their campaign so they left every thing on that field except their clothes that day, and came out with ah win.

i remember watching mexico in the yrs gone by and wishing we were as good, and it's not that we weren't, it's just that mexico cared more, not just the players nor the fans, but their administrative body, the clubs, their culture, their whole way of life. like anton said it best of the guyanese work ethic and pride, they work and  live by that pride, it's who they are.

i too have seen it amongst the mexican, guatemalans and Ecuadorians and their work ethic here in NYC, and i have tuh tell you ppl, it's bonkers! these men work like slaves, literally, and there's no shame in their game. they don't claim to hate it or that it's beneath them , they just do it and to the best of their ability to preserve themselves and their family.

that kind of passion and pride is foreign to trinbagonians. we are the total opposite, we do it for selfish individual reasons, recognition, financial gratification, but never for pride or country.

i remember going to redbull arena this past june for the jamaica honduras gold cup game, it was also ah double header with i think guatemala and grenada. anyway the stadium was packed to capacity with guatemalan spanish from the first game, and the honduran fans for the 2nd game, and let me tell allyuh something, it was ah very intimidating atmosphere folks.

i thought that these ppl were going to jump us, bc we were black and could easily be mistaken for jamaicans, that's bc jamaica was bussing that arse and the fans were hyper, talk about unrest!

they were throwing missiles @ the refs, jumping up and down on those flimsy metal floors which i though was going to cave in under all that weight, that stadium was in an uproar. it was almost as if they were prisoners and the team was playing for their release, and i thought to my self, you would never see trinis behaving like this, they would be too worried about what ppl would think of them rather than be concern for the support of the team.

equally the governing body in T&T, the players and the public lack that pride in the football, like someone mentioned earlier, we are not ah footballing nation, we just like to watch football. truer words have never been spoken on this forum.

i can't help but reminisce on that day back in june @ redbulls arena, i must admit that ah part of me was jealous, kinda wishing that we were there. i also wished @ that point that i were honduran so i could've felt the joy and passion they felt of watching their team compete on the highest level knowing that they are one of the regional power houses with their football intact and going places.

after watching T&T sink into a football depression by losing out twice to grenada and getting kicked out the gold cup, grinding out ah nail biting result to bermuda last camapaign, and now being booted out of the WC by guyana, it's safe to say that there's no such thing as playing for pride in T&T's football, before or after the fact.

pride starts with the culture of the ppl, and it trickles on down to the administration, the players and the fans, and lets face it folks, there's no pride in T&T football, not from the fans, the players and certainly not from the governing body. 

the only thing resembling pride in T&T football is on flex site, with the handful of true T&T supporters.

BTW, i would like to see the name soca warriors taken down and tucked away in the attic until further notice. these boy are in no wise warriors, plus it's ah mockry to the true fans.
positive
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:03:25 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: playing for pride.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »
Pride is a bullerman parade in foreign. modern trinibagonian culture eh know shame, what is pride? ???

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »
I just heard that Birchall asked to be excused..... WTF. This is why we lost. No passion, No pride.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:51 PM »
this socawarrior's is a joke...is now you going to play for pride...

1]; } ?>