April 24, 2024, 10:48:29 PM

Author Topic: Pfister gets US$50,000 a month salary.  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Pfister gets US$50,000 a month salary.
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Outspoken Minister of Sports, Anil Roberts is of the personal view today’s Soca Warriors 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil qualifier against Guyana should be the last for German-born coach Otto Pfister.

This after the Soca Warriors were dumped from World Cup qualification following a 2-1 loss away to Guyana on Friday night.

The 74-year-old Pfister was hired at the end of March and has only been in charge of the national team for six matches, one friendly against India and five World Cup qualifiers versus Bermuda (two), Barbados (two) and Guyana.

However, with T&T failing to get past the Concacaf second round hurdle, it’s expected that Pfister, a former coach of Togo and Cameroon will be axed after today’s encounter, the same fate which was meted out to his predecessor, former T&T captain, Russell Latapy, last December.

Latapy was fired after failing to qualify the Soca Warriors for the Concacaf Gold Cup after a disappointing campaign in the Digicel Caribbean Cup Finals.

Speaking at a press conference held at his Ministry of Sport, head office Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday, Roberts said his Ministry was in no position to continue paying the US$50,000 monthly salary of Pfister.

“As far as we are concerned Brazil 2014 is over, but we have some arrears for them which will be handled, however, going forward the Ministry of Sport cannot undertake to pay that exorbitant salary when we are not going to the elite level of performance.”

Roberts said, “Pfister is a great coach but things just did not work out for him and the team and what I can say is the Ministry cannot justify that level of US$50,000 a month salary when we have now switched our focus to development mode.

“That level of salary is on the final path to greatness as a team to qualify for a World Cup and we have been knocked out from the top level of football, therefore we cannot justify paying the elite level coach.”

With regards to the US$50,000 salary, Roberts said it was only for World Cup qualification because when you qualify for a World Cup the benefits it can bring to T&T cannot even put that value in monetary terms.

Roberts had first stated it was not really for him or the Ministry of Sport to decide on the Soca Warriors technical staff future but noted he had to justify to the people of T&T how he spend its money and right now the campaign was over. Pressed further Roberts said, “Of course he (Pfister) should be removed, but I’m not in control of that.

“To me it’s clear once you understand the philosophy of coaching, elite coaches are paid to win and move forward and it does not matter whoever you are once you cannot make it you go, end of story.”

He stressed, “I cannot and will not justify paying an elite level coach salary when we have no elite level competition. “Whoever is the coach is for the T&TFF to decide but all I can say is the Ministry of Sport is focusing on, development at this moment.

Commenting on how the remainder of the $45 million budget which was approved for the campaign will be used Roberts said Brazil 2014 was a separate element in the T&TFF budget and it had its own initiative and value for money.

“We are now out and now its a whole new ball game and we have to start from the ground and we can expect to see a lot more funding being provided for the Under-23 (Olympic team) which is preparing for another Caribbean Football Union qualifying tournament.

Roberts also sent out a call to local coaches, who in the past said, they didn’t have a chance to coach the senior team. “Now they have a shot because as far as I see it for the next three or four years it should be local, local and more local. So if they wanted a chance then take it and make it count.

It will also save the tax payers a lot of money because and if they get the job they will be paid the same salary as what foreigners get when the major tournaments come around like the Gold Cup and so on.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Pfister gets US$50,000 a month salary.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:14:04 AM »
And fire he f00cking staff to..

Anton Corenal and Jefferson George too, fair is fair, all of them fail.... Anton was de main man do all de planning and talking...

Dont play half de game Anil, yuh stinking mudda cont !!!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:03:22 AM »

Anton Corenal and Jefferson George too, fair is fair, all of them fail.... Anton was de main man do all de planning and talking...

wishful thinking Sam.

Anil is a clown like all the rest  :pissedoff:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
I dont expect magic from any coach but when you are on that kind ah money you should at least show that some improvements have been achieved,Otto has done just as bad as Latapy or even worse when you consider that he had all the players he wanted.In everyone's opinion he had an easy group and please dont say there is no such thing as easy,our group should have been a"walk in the park",Otto didn't instill any new character in the Soca Warriors mentality,they are still the same old,same old,nothing new.There isn't one good reason to keep this ageing aristocrat who has one foot in the grave.Sack Otto after the match with Guyana and give a thought to the Englishman who has made TT his second home.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
i go do it for $10K US a month.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »

wishful thinking Sam.

Anil is a clown like all the rest  :pissedoff:

Anil is not in a position to sack anyone in the TTFF, he is only in a position to withhold government (taxpayers) money! But don’t forget the TTFF also gets money from FIFA so even if Anil tries to starve them out they still will not leave in a hurry unless they are forced out by other forces!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »
Wait Anil calling for the firing of a coach??????that contravenes FIFA laws as he is a Minister of Govt....if he, Pfister is fired then the TTFF and subsequently T&T should be banned.......maybe then we can truly rebuild

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
Wait Anil calling for the firing of a coach??????that contravenes FIFA laws as he is a Minister of Govt....if he, Pfister is fired then the TTFF and subsequently T&T should be banned.......maybe then we can truly rebuild

This is what Anil said:

Roberts had first stated it was not really for him or the Ministry of Sport to decide on the Soca Warriors technical staff future but noted he had to justify to the people of T&T how he spend its money and right now the campaign was over. Pressed further Roberts said, “Of course he (Pfister) should be removed, but I’m not in control of that.

“He stressed, “I cannot and will not justify paying an elite level coach salary when we have no elite level competition. “Whoever is the coach is for the T&TFF to decide but all I can say is the Ministry of Sport is focusing on, development at this moment.

I think Anil has covered himself in regards to telling the TTFF what to do. He has basically said it is not his call regards the firing of Pfister, so there is no way FIFA can accuse him of interfering in TTFF business as a justification for then banning the TTFF to get rid of Jack's cronies!

Nice thought though!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:36:38 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
TT is full of yes men and johnny come latelys who have zero intl experience in planning and management

Offline Raul

• Full Warrior
  • ¡Hala Madrid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 03:45:55 AM »
i go do it for $10K US a month.

Ha! I will pay the TTFF $5K TT per month to do it...

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »

“That level of salary is on the final path to greatness as a team to qualify for a World Cup and we have been knocked out from the top level of football, therefore we cannot justify paying the elite level coach.”

With regards to the US$50,000 salary, Roberts said it was only for World Cup qualification because when you qualify for a World Cup the benefits it can bring to T&T cannot even put that value in monetary terms.

No Minister Roberts, that level of salary is not for coaches on the final path to greatness, its actually the lower end of the salary range for international coaches for countries who are serious about the long term development of football. But I am sure you know this because your Ministry obviously has a HR dept who has all this information on international pedigree coaches right? Ever wonder why we ended up with Pfister and not Quiroz? It wasn't because Pfister scored higher than Quiroz on the technical evaluation by the TTFF committee (aka Jack Warner's opinion), its because the $600K salary offer was a joke to the $2 million he got from Iran.

And if your belief that this salary is only to be used on the final path of WC qualification, then that confirms the long held belief that our administrators cannot think long term.

No wonder we cannot have sustainable progress. SMH

From the TTFF to the Government we have incompetent administrators. And I thought Gary Hunt was the lowest we could have gotten.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »

No Minister Roberts, that level of salary is not for coaches on the final path to greatness, its actually the lower end of the salary range for international coaches for countries who are serious about the long term development of football. But I am sure you know this because your Ministry obviously has a HR dept who has all this information on international pedigree coaches right? Ever wonder why we ended up with Pfister and not Quiroz? It wasn't because Pfister scored higher than Quiroz on the technical evaluation by the TTFF committee (aka Jack Warner's opinion), its because the $600K salary offer was a joke to the $2 million he got from Iran.

And if your belief that this salary is only to be used on the final path of WC qualification, then that confirms the long held belief that our administrators cannot think long term.

From the TTFF to the Government we have incompetent administrators. And I thought Gary Hunt was the lowest we could have gotten.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :salute: :salute:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »

You are correct to a certain extend but the Minister of Sports does not have only football to look after and football already gets the lion's share of the money being dished out by the Sports Ministry! Other sports in T&T also need to be looked after!!
A competent football federation would also be able to make up the rest of the coach's salary from approaching sponsors, etc but as we know very few of those big private companies in T&T if any trust those incompetent, unaccountable crooked fellas running the TTFF!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:58:10 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>