March 29, 2024, 04:06:21 AM

Author Topic: Lessons from T&T’s World Cup loss!  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lessons from T&T’s World Cup loss!
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »
By Patrick Horne (The Vincentian)

There are myriad lessons to be learnt from Trinidad and Tobago’s 1-2 defeat last Friday in Guyana and subsequent early elimination from the CONCACAF 2014 World Cup qualifying tournament. Guyana, coached by Trinidadian Jamaal Shabazz, won Group B and advanced to the third and semi-final round next summer to compete in Group B against Mexico, Costa Rica and El Salvador.

Trinidad’s slide

Trinidad’s early elimination wasn’t a surprise; the team had been lacking spirit and commitment to its tasks since returning from the 2006 World Cup. Unlike Jamaica, which built on its maiden World Cup appearance in 1998 and since developed a reputation as a very credible World Cup team, Trinidad and Tobago football began an irreversible slide. The team became embroiled in a money fiasco with former Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) adviser Jack Warner, whose failed promise of financial compensation for the players led to a lawsuit by the team and Warner’s subsequent reprehensible action to blacklist the players.  While Jamaica continued to ascend, Trinidad and Tobago began to descend.

Warner’s and the TTFF’s action sent a message to the players that they were marginal to the progress of football in Trinidad and Tobago. The players felt betrayed, and thus began the decline in Trinidad and Tobago football.  The self-centered, power-hungry Warner didn’t understand that players are in solidarity with each other, and betraying some is betraying the fraternity.  The Soca Warriors began to believe that their Federation couldn’t care less about their well- being, a sentiment that became commonplace, and eventually, players’ loyalty and commitment waned.

Midfielder Chris Birchall echoed these sentiments after the game in Guyana when he explained his worst moment in Trinidad and Tobago colors: “The manner in which we lost was unacceptable. No fight...no heart,” Birchall declared. “They won every second ball. We didn’t compete and they deserve the win.”  Management must be considerate of players.

The foreign factor

Trinidad went into Guyana needing only a draw to survive until the return leg at home three days after, but I believe, from my experience as a coach, that Trinidad’s German manager, Otto Pfister, just couldn’t muster a convincing enough pre-game, motivational speech that was needed on Friday, one that should have conjured a strong feeling of patriotism to fire up the players. This was an international game and the ultimate motivation lies in a feeling of patriotism, which has to move the players. It must have been difficult to do, coming from Pfister, a virtual stranger to Trinidad, who obviously has no deep ties to or feelings for the country. Coaches have to be believable to be able to convince players into action, and this is a downside to having a foreign coach.

Preparation

In defense of Pfister, this was one of Trinidad and Tobago’s weakest teams. I saw the visiting Soca Warriors versus Barbados in September and thought the standard of play probably couldn’t match a very good high school game. Compounding the problem is the lack of time to develop cohesion on the team.  Despite having the more experienced players - some of whom play in England, the USA and Europe - the team lacked cohesion, which, no matter how good the individuals, only comes from playing together. Conversely, Guyana had only two foreigners, both of whom scored, but its nucleus of local players had played together more, including a grueling tour of England earlier in the year, and they most likely were a better cohesive unit. Guyana obviously was the more motivated team and believed that it had more to play for.  Football is 90 percent mental! 

Ultimate lesson

The lesson here is that coaches don’t win games, although they dramatically influence the result, the players do. The 75-year-old Pfister has the world of experience from working on four different continents, while Shabazz’s experience was limited to Trinidad and Tobago, but it is obvious now that Shabazz was a more effective motivator and got much more from his charges than Pfister from his.

Antigua benefits

In other qualifying results, Antigua and Barbuda won Group F, knocking 2007 Caribbean Champion Haiti out of the tournament with a 1-0 win at home. Kerry Skepple scored the winner to send Antigua and Barbuda to the semifinal round for the first time in team history, to play in Group A against the USA, Jamaica and Guatemala. El Salvador beat host Suriname, 3-1, to win Group A and advance to the semifinal round.  Antigua clearly benefitted from playing in the USL (United Soccer Leagues) last summer.

In Group C, Panama had already won the only three-team group after Bahamas opted out, and will play in Group C versus Cuba, Honduras and Canada, which won Group D when it tied host St. Kitts and Nevis last Friday. Group E winner and host Guatemala maintained its unbeaten streak with a 3-0 win over Grenada.

Two teams from each of the three, four-team semi-final groups will advance to the final round of six teams, for a round robin, home-and-away series.  The top three CONCACAF nations will qualify for Brazil 2014, and the fourth-place team will play off against a team from another Confederation for a berth in the tournament.

The semifinal round to kick off in June 2012: Group A is USA, Jamaica, Guatemala and Antigua/Barbuda; Group B consists of Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Guyana; Group C is Honduras, Cuba, Canada and Panama. 
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lessons from T&T’s World Cup loss!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »
In T&T at present
By Opoku Ware (Tobago News)

This column had predicted that the Trinidad and Tobago World Cup campaign would end in failure and so it did when it was buried by the Guyana football team last week Thursday in Guyana.

From the moment I saw the German coach of our national team and his assistant Anton Corneal make the 'dotish' move to bring back the washed up Stern John on the team, while ignoring the young talented players such as Daryl Trim, I knew our 'goose was cook and curry'.

The lesson is simple, football is a game for young, strong muscles and bones and there comes a time when there must be the transition, with the old making way for the new.

Unless someone has an extra special talent which could practically serve the team in a special area, there can be absolutely no excuse for positioning with someone whose time has long gone.

As I listened to the game on radio I95.5 FM I knew T&T had lost any chance they had of salvaging a point when the management team decided to put Stern John on the field and leave the young, skillful, speedy and dangerous Hayden Tinto on the bench.

Yet the two jokey Trinidad commentators were apparently in 'Wonderland with Alice' hailing Stern John a proven goal scorer.

When last did he score a goal for Trinidad, I wondered. Again, it is quite noticeable that most of the Trinidad commentators with the exception of the wise Edgar Vidale seem to take a pride in the showing our own talented Keno Daniel in a negative light. It was such a turnoff to hear even Keith Lookloy who is seeking to take over the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation making negative comments about Keon Daniel's playing.

So the guy who wants to take control of T&T's football goes on radio to lambast one of our nation's most skillful players. So much for T&T football!
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:35:39 PM »
Preparation

In defense of Pfister, this was one of Trinidad and Tobago’s weakest teams. I saw the visiting Soca Warriors versus Barbados in September and thought the standard of play probably couldn’t match a very good high school game. Compounding the problem is the lack of time to develop cohesion on the team.  Despite having the more experienced players - some of whom play in England, the USA and Europe - the team lacked cohesion, which, no matter how good the individuals, only comes from playing together. Conversely, Guyana had only two foreigners, both of whom scored, but its nucleus of local players had played together more, including a grueling tour of England earlier in the year, and they most likely were a better cohesive unit. Guyana obviously was the more motivated team and believed that it had more to play for.  Football is 90 percent mental!

This is the most important part of the article.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 02:05:21 PM »
In T&T at present
By Opoku Ware (Tobago News)

This column had predicted that the Trinidad and Tobago World Cup campaign would end in failure and so it did when it was buried by the Guyana football team last week Thursday in Guyana.

From the moment I saw the German coach of our national team and his assistant Anton Corneal make the 'dotish' move to bring back the washed up Stern John on the team, while ignoring the young talented players such as Daryl Trim, I knew our 'goose was cook and curry'.

The lesson is simple, football is a game for young, strong muscles and bones and there comes a time when there must be the transition, with the old making way for the new.

Unless someone has an extra special talent which could practically serve the team in a special area, there can be absolutely no excuse for positioning with someone whose time has long gone.

As I listened to the game on radio I95.5 FM I knew T&T had lost any chance they had of salvaging a point when the management team decided to put Stern John on the field and leave the young, skillful, speedy and dangerous Hayden Tinto on the bench.

Yet the two jokey Trinidad commentators were apparently in 'Wonderland with Alice' hailing Stern John a proven goal scorer.

When last did he score a goal for Trinidad, I wondered. Again, it is quite noticeable that most of the Trinidad commentators with the exception of the wise Edgar Vidale seem to take a pride in the showing our own talented Keno Daniel in a negative light. It was such a turnoff to hear even Keith Lookloy who is seeking to take over the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation making negative comments about Keon Daniel's playing.

So the guy who wants to take control of T&T's football goes on radio to lambast one of our nation's most skillful players. So much for T&T football!
No doubt he's skillful, but for the life of me, this guy plays when ever he feels like. it's ah good thing this coach was german and didn't have any ulterior motives for benching and pulling off skilla. this author is ah tobago tribalist bc if he was honest he would know that skilla does spas out sometimes, and lok loy also dogged carlos, and hyland as well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:35:47 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
The author of the second article clearly has a strong Tobago bias because if he saw what I saw he wouldn't have said that piece of nonsense bout Keon...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »
Who de f**k is Daryl Trim?  ::)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
From the first article:
By Patrick Horne (The Vincentian)

Trinidad’s early elimination wasn’t a surprise; the team had been lacking spirit and commitment to its tasks since returning from the 2006 World Cup. Unlike Jamaica, which built on its maiden World Cup appearance in 1998 and since developed a reputation as a very credible World Cup team, Trinidad and Tobago football began an irreversible slide.

Level :bs:

The foreign factor
Trinidad went into Guyana needing only a draw to survive until the return leg at home three days after, but I believe, from my experience as a coach, that Trinidad’s German manager, Otto Pfister, just couldn’t muster a convincing enough pre-game, motivational speech that was needed on Friday, one that should have conjured a strong feeling of patriotism to fire up the players. This was an international game and the ultimate motivation lies in a feeling of patriotism, which has to move the players. It must have been difficult to do, coming from Pfister, a virtual stranger to Trinidad, who obviously has no deep ties to or feelings for the country. Coaches have to be believable to be able to convince players into action, and this is a downside to having a foreign coach.

Conjecture and speculation?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:37:48 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
Unlike Jamaica, which built on its maiden World Cup appearance in 1998 and since developed a reputation as a very credible World Cup team, Trinidad and Tobago football began an irreversible slide.

Since 1998, how many times has Jamaica made the Hex?

What's the criteria for "credible World Cup team"?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:37:33 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »
Preparation

This is the most important part of the article.

Agreed.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
One setta talk...

Is it just me or is dis setta recycled talk real stale?

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
One setta talk...

Is it just me or is dis setta recycled talk real stale?

Yuh eh lie ... dat was precisely my first reaction.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »

HAHAHAHA...i wondered dat myself, a hidden gem maybe? another Troy Marquis???

Yo!!! After watching Angus Eve talk on another thread i wondered, if ah local assistant coach get in dressing room at half time and start passionately pleading wid he team dat dey need to go back out 2nd half and play football as if dey life depended on it.

Call men name and say, "Carlos/Kenwyne bredda, you is ah big player, yuh play in WC, go out dey and play yuh heart out nah?!?!?! Do dat for yuh country nah!?!?!"

Pull Keno-ah mean-Keon square and tell him whatever you need to tell him to motivate him?!?!?!

I feel even if Otto couldn't motivate dem fellahs to step up, ah local assistant coach worth his salt shoulda been able to do dat??!?!

who knows maybe dey tried...sigh
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
So what was Anton's role? Isn't he the assisatant coach? Why could'nt he motiavte the team?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
It was such a turnoff to hear even Keith Lookloy who is seeking to take over the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation making negative comments about Keon Daniel's playing.

This dude can't be serious. Everybody on this website has been pulling for Keon. Yes he has skill and on many occasions shown flashes of brilliance. After a disappointing 2010 campaign, he elevated his play at Philly. He was being featured in the news positively. Then the debacle with the visa issue. He came back home. He was not playing with any club(correct meh). He got selected and did not perform  in TT most important match.  Okay Keieth was a not diplomatic about Keon's play and called a pade ah spade. The fact is,  Keon did not perform on that night.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
So what was Anton's role? Isn't he the assisatant coach? Why could'nt he motiavte the team?
And he's local....but as asylumseeker pointed out, pure speculation. We have no idea what was said in the dressing room.

Maybe it's just me but the players were fully aware of the magnitude of the game, what more motivation do they need? Someone to beg them to play with a sense of urgency?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »
It was such a turnoff to hear even Keith Lookloy who is seeking to take over the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation making negative comments about Keon Daniel's playing.

This dude can't be serious. Everybody on this website has been pulling for Keon. Yes he has skill and on many occasions shown flashes of brilliance. After a disappointing 2010 campaign, he elevated his play at Philly. He was being featured in the news positively. Then the debacle with the visa issue. He came back home. He was not playing with any club(correct meh). He got selected and did not perform  in TT most important match.  Okay Keieth was a not diplomatic about Keon's play and called a pade ah spade. The fact is,  Keon did not perform on that night.

Philly was the best thing to happen for Keon, he had to adjust his work rate if he wanted to survive in the league or maintain a spot on the team. It seemed like he fell back to the casual style of play when he remained in T&T due to the visa issues, I guess he's not challenged enough at home or when playing against local competition.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »

Who de hell is Opoku Ware?????

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »
And he's local....but as asylumseeker pointed out, pure speculation. We have no idea what was said in the dressing room.

Maybe it's just me but the players were fully aware of the magnitude of the game, what more motivation do they need? Someone to beg them to play with a sense of urgency?

dais wha i sayin

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »
The game in Guyana was an elimination game.  If that wasn't motivation then no speech was going to work.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:43 AM »
Ah just see de express and Daryl Trim is ah St Anthony's player.

it was pretty obvious that de fact dat it was an elimination game WASN"T enough motivation for dem fellahs, so me eh know, some, "wha de mudderc^%t allyuh facking doin out dey!!!" (or words to dat effect) mighta light ah fire under dem fellahs bamsees and make dem stop playing like is de fete match league dat does play in Mannie Ramjohn.

ah know ah know is speculation about what was said....but who knows maybe dis might be a teachable moment for assistant coaches-or all coaches for dat matter-who does read de forum ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:08:25 AM by Fyzoman »
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »

A Tobago born striker.

He played for Signall Hill last year and now he playing for St Anthony's College.

A good player, fast and strong.

Deserve to be look at for our youth teams, but cannot make the senior team yet.

As for Keon, he might be de most skillful we have but he is also de most f00cking laziest....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
All yuh, ah gone tru enough pain with this team getting bounced by Guyana.  Now all this hind sight vision only giving me another bout ah depression.  The only part of the article that make sense is: Lack of preparation.  We can't blame the coach although the players have to take a little heat.  No preparation.  Is time to move on. Leh we get rid ah dis TTFF administration that shackling we football and begin NOW to plan for Gold Cup then World Cup 2018.   
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »
As they say in Tobago= Ah We boy- Well they think he is the next Dwight Yorke.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
The foreign factor

First thought when I saw this: Shabazz is a foreign coach too.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:51:37 PM by dwn »

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 05:56:13 PM »
...and there's somebody in Guyana saying a foreigner should not be coaching Guyana...nonsense...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »
How are we to get cohesion? I keep seeing people saying we eh play together long enough and how Guyana was almost all local. How do other teams coming in 3 days before ah big game and go out and play? I am totally baffled about this. We played 2 games vs Bermuda and barbados and one against India, how much more preparation we need? If we have to play top class warm up games to get past CFU, what will we have to do to compete in CONCACAF?

It continues to amaze me how we keep saying we did not have warm up matches, but by the time we got to Guyana first game we had 5 warm up games. Truth or Fiction?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »
How are we to get cohesion? I keep seeing people saying we eh play together long enough and how Guyana was almost all local. How do other teams coming in 3 days before ah big game and go out and play? I am totally baffled about this. We played 2 games vs Bermuda and barbados and one against India, how much more preparation we need? If we have to play top class warm up games to get past CFU, what will we have to do to compete in CONCACAF?

It continues to amaze me how we keep saying we did not have warm up matches, but by the time we got to Guyana first game we had 5 warm up games. Truth or Fiction?

Again - too much talk...same old recycled rhetoric.

There is nothing to be learned from losing to Bermuda and Guyana... Every possible reason why we might possibly lose to these guys, we knew before, we just couldn't/didn't do anything about it.  There is nothing new to be learned from this campaign.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »

There is nothing to be learned from losing to Bermuda and Guyana... Every possible reason why we might possibly lose to these guys, we knew before, we just couldn't/didn't do anything about it.  There is nothing new to be learned from this campaign.

On the contrary, I think there is so much to be taken away from this campaign as we try to move "forward". One of our greatest problem is not looking back or learning from the past as a way of preparing for the future. We need to dissect this campaign.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »

On the contrary, I think there is so much to be taken away from this campaign as we try to move "forward". One of our greatest problem is not looking back or learning from the past as a way of preparing for the future. We need to dissect this campaign.

:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>