April 19, 2024, 01:17:15 AM

Author Topic: Football going nowhere fast  (Read 992 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football going nowhere fast
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:18:07 PM »
Football going nowhere fast
By Andre E. Baptiste (T&T Guardian)

It is now official. T&T will play no further part in the 2014 World Football Cup. By virtue of a 2–1 victory on November 11, Guyana consigned this country to be mere spectators. Four months ago, I warned in this very column that unless urgent action was taken to address the state of our football, we would pay a hefty price. Several critics felt I was premature but alas the truth has come home to hurt us. Ignorance is never a good attribute but it is inexplicable when the future of a country’s football is allowed to dissipate because a few men forgot their purpose, and instead of concentrating on the job on the field, allowed themselves to be embroiled in battles off the field. If we were to list the reasons for our demise, we would be subjected to utter despise and disgust which would hardly benefit anyone. The truth is we need to find a way forward.

There is not much doubt that change is needed. When Oliver Camps finally resigned, many were happy, but unfortunately his apparent replacement, Lennox Watson, has not as yet endeared himself to the people. Watson did himself no favours by being absent from meeting the T&T and Guyana teams in that crucial World Cup match on Friday 11. By allowing one of the executive, Ewing Davis, to meet the players, suggested that Watson did not appreciate his new role and may have sent a message that he is not the right man for this important job. Due to the Federation’s constitution, he cannot be removed easily but those who desire to repair our football’s image should not lose hope but should become more determined to fight.

Alloy Lequay was in charge of our cricket for many years and was never defeated in any elections, but when he was seriously challenged, there was a sense that the end was near. Since Lequay’s resignation, there has been constant change in the hierarchy. So those who seek our future must continue to fight. Recently, former T&T player Brent Sancho said there was a strong possibility that the TTFF was unable to meet their financial obligations to the Soca Warriors players of 2006. This would mean the organisation could become insolvent and therefore disbanded. This would allow for a changing of the guard and the chance for new ideas. This realisation will either ensure the TTFF find the monies they have been ordered to pay by the court or face the embarrassing situation of being declared insolvent.

There is also a belief that given the current lack of love between the TTFF and FIFA, that this will ensure that it will not take much to convince FIFA of the need to agree to any change in the administration of T&T’s football. However, in attempting to improve the current state of football, we must realistically be prepared for some hard and harsh decisions. Reality must be used as the weapon to erase the disturbing trend to settle for sameness. And with that in mind, we need innovative change in attending to the structure of our football. Many believe that T&T’s elimination is a blessing in disguise. Let me disagree with that, because whether we were good enough or not to oppose Mexico, Costa Rica and El Salvador is not the question. The solution that would have been needed to compete would have meant some sort of change in various departments and also thinking.

Without testing ourselves against the best, we cannot hope to improve. Now that we are forced to return to the drawing board, we need to ensure that the changes we make are real and not just theoretical. For that to happen, those persons who have assisted the TTFF in the past in technical football matters need to be ignored and replacements found quickly. T&T’s players were outplayed by Guyana under the brilliant leadership of Jamaal Shabazz and never seemed interested in the fight that night. The fact is that T&T was second best, second to the ball and short of intelligent play on the night. We needed someone to step up but unfortunately nobody was willing to put their hands up and demonstrate the necessary leadership skills.

It was almost as if our players were going through the motions. It was significant that after the match, only two T&T players remained crestfallen on the Providence Stadium grounds while the others hurriedly left the field to drown their sorrows elsewhere. Of course, this does not mean that the players did not feel disappointed but our past ejection from the journey has certainly been far more emotional than was displayed in Guyana. When you learn that the Guyanese players receive a per diem of $15 to $20 US a day against $75 US a day paid to the Soca Warriors, one can easily deduce that much more than money was involved in the heart and soul of the Guyanese performance. It was also evident that the Guyanese public believed in their team and put their money where their support was, filling the stadium 12,000 strong on the night with both noise and atmosphere, something which is rare in this country at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. It is sad that we do not yet appreciate the power of a supportive crowd. We have never been noisy. Instead we are prepared to watch without emotion seemingly forgetting what we are there for. It is this abject relaxed posture, that is also symptomatic of many of our sportsmen and women and which in many ways explains why a number of the region’s persons are gradually outperforming this country.

Overall though, the players need to take responsibility, and not be allowed to escape. We can watch our matches this season and individually name the players who have not only disappointed themselves but also this country. These players need to hang their collective heads in shame, but most of us know these guys will not do that but continue as if everything is normal, despite the fact that according to All Sports Promotions the entire T&T contingent involved with this failed campaign have been paid on time. German born coach Otto Pfister has no future with our football. He is basically a competition coach, and in this regard he has failed, but for him to make excuses about lack of warm-up matches is absurd, as he joined the team earlier this year with the knowledge that T&T had been inactive for over eight months. There is no easy way forward. In fact the path to salvation is long, winding and full of many twists and turns. There is also no knight on a white horse or no glorious saviour for football in this country. Our future is in our own hands and the sooner we realise this, the better we will all be.

Let us hope that even though good sense may not prevail, with emphasis on possible retirement of certain officials from the TTFF, that true lovers of this country will place themselves in the firing line and push themselves forward to achieve ultimately what is best for this country. One has to have sympathy for the many youngsters now coming into football, who did not watch their country in a World Cup in 2006 and will now have to wait till World Cup 2018 to witness their team on the road to Russia. This length of time waiting could lose this country some quality players who may choose alternative sports instead rather than face the musical chairs administration of the TTFF. We can no longer be patient. Time is running out, change is needed now before it gets worse.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Football going nowhere fast
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
Let us hope that even though good sense may not prevail, with emphasis on possible retirement of certain officials from the TTFF, that true lovers of this country will place themselves in the firing line and push themselves forward to achieve ultimately what is best for this country. One has to have sympathy for the many youngsters now coming into football, who did not watch their country in a World Cup in 2006 and will now have to wait till World Cup 2018 to witness their team on the road to Russia. This length of time waiting could lose this country some quality players who may choose alternative sports instead rather than face the musical chairs administration of the TTFF. We can no longer be patient. Time is running out, change is needed now before it gets worse.

That's right folks if allyuh feel things can't get any worse just sit there and don't demand change and see what will happen!!

We not at rock bottom yet! If them current fellas stay in charge at the TTFF then yuh could eventually look forward to Montserrat giving we trouble in an almost empty stadium when T&T play them here at home!! And no this eh no joke, just sit there complaining and do nothing to remove that current lot in the TTFF and see if things won't get worse!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:01:32 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:57:19 AM »
One can easily deduce that much more than money was involved in the heart and soul of the Guyanese performance. It was also evident that the Guyanese public believed in their team and put their money where their support was, filling the stadium 12,000 strong on the night with both noise and atmosphere, something which is rare in this country at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. It is sad that we do not yet appreciate the power of a supportive crowd. We have never been noisy. Instead we are prepared to watch without emotion seemingly forgetting what we are there for. It is this abject relaxed posture, that is also symptomatic of many of our sportsmen and women and which in many ways explains why a number of the region’s persons are gradually outperforming this country.

I don't know how old Andre Baptiste is, but to say that it is something rare in the country to see 12,000 in a stadium, is something of a joke. Maybe,it is a rare site in GT. Maybe he should have said it is a recent thing. Look Andre and all of you who bemoan the TT public for the lack of support for the current team, people showing their disgust for the TTFF by staying away when it hurts most. The TTFF think they can bamboozled the TT football public but using WC to cover their corrupt backsides. They feel everybody will put aside their displeasures as the WC approach(we going brazil village) and come out and support the Warriors. Well faith(karma) had it that we lose in GT so that this pappyshow can't continue.

And ah have news for the current and future administartion, allyuh have work to do to win back the football fans. You must remember there is a generation of youths in TT who have no connection to national football. They don't go club football. Maybe intercol. They probably pay ah 5 dollars to see the minor league village team play than go the the stadium for free to see the Warriors.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:59:44 AM by Deeks »

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »
Yea Deeks, AB a little short there, we have been selling out stadium in Trinidad for football decades now, but it underlines the innate problem of T&T...We really only go out to support when the team is doing well. This has gotten worse in recent times, back in the days crowds were more involved in football from earlier stages.

Perhaps the most passionate sport in the world is US college Football. One thing about going to school in the US and attending a university with a top level American Football programme I have learnt is that the players and the supporters are one of the same. Players are simply supporters who play for the team. Each and every single supporter should go out and passionately support their team. You want your team to perform at an elite level and give blood, sweat and tears for you, but you dont make the effort to attend the games, or even if you do, u just go and sit and watch quietly. You think that is fair to the players? Effort must come from both sides. The supporters effort must be akin to the players effort on the field. We the average joe cannot play for the national team, but we can do everything else that contributes to the atmosphere and support of the players who are blessed to play for us. It requires effort and commitment from the supporters, to hype up, pay to go all the games, contribute to the atmosphere, but if we dont want to make the sacrifice, can we really blame the players on the field when they do not give the extra effort required to get a result?
I remember last year for the first time in 15 years we had a losing season after consistently competing for the national title, and at the end of that losing season, the stadium was still getting the 100,000 plus fans in to support the team. Yes, sometimes we booed the team when effort came up short, but at least it showed we were passionate about it and demanded more.
There is a reason in Trinidad when u go and watch a game and boo the opposition people watch you weird. I remember booing an opposing team after their anthem was sung and if you see how people watch me dread, I say WDMC! I was really born in the wrong country yes. But all these people in the stadium have the latest Man U and Chelsea and Barcelona jersey and pack the sports bars every Champions League gameday and cheer teams that master the art of nasty play when needed and routinely boo, whistle and jeer visiting fans and players to their stadium. I never say boo the opposing team anthem or pelt them with bottle eh, but you could cheer your team on with raw passion and achieve the same thing. Sometimes I think the really true supporters of T&T football are the few hundred people on this site to be honest.

Just by virtue of importance of football to the national population, T&T should never qualify for another world cup. Every single Central American country has more passionate support than us. We have players who play every week in front large crowds in Europe, but trust me, having a support to be proud of at home and even away makes you more passionate on the field. Its human nature. When I used to talk to some of them 20 years old yutemen at school about support, you know what they told me? They say when they play at home in front 100,000 screaming fans, it raises the pores on their skin and they play to that passion, performing at a level that you cannot coach. When they travel on the road in front 100,000 opposing fans, and the school has a traveling 10,000 supporters, all they hear is the 10,000 supporting fans and that is just as powerful as if they were playing at home, cause they realise these fans going through just as much hardship as them on the field, if not greater.

Our culture is such that we extremely laid back, whether its obeying the law, reaching on time for work, or supporting the national sports. Natural talent has given us the odd success in the past, but we must never get upset with the players for not giving 100% effort. They are just 11 members of our population doing what comes natural to us.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »
Yea Deeks, AB a little short there, we have been selling out stadium in Trinidad for football decades now, but it underlines the innate problem of T&T...We really only go out to support when the team is doing well. This has gotten worse in recent times, back in the days crowds were more involved in football from earlier stages.

Perhaps the most passionate sport in the world is US college Football. One thing about going to school in the US and attending a university with a top level American Football programme I have learnt is that the players and the supporters are one of the same. Players are simply supporters who play for the team. Each and every single supporter should go out and passionately support their team. You want your team to perform at an elite level and give blood, sweat and tears for you, but you dont make the effort to attend the games, or even if you do, u just go and sit and watch quietly. You think that is fair to the players? Effort must come from both sides. The supporters effort must be akin to the players effort on the field. We the average joe cannot play for the national team, but we can do everything else that contributes to the atmosphere and support of the players who are blessed to play for us. It requires effort and commitment from the supporters, to hype up, pay to go all the games, contribute to the atmosphere, but if we dont want to make the sacrifice, can we really blame the players on the field when they do not give the extra effort required to get a result?
I remember last year for the first time in 15 years we had a losing season after consistently competing for the national title, and at the end of that losing season, the stadium was still getting the 100,000 plus fans in to support the team. Yes, sometimes we booed the team when effort came up short, but at least it showed we were passionate about it and demanded more.
There is a reason in Trinidad when u go and watch a game and boo the opposition people watch you weird. I remember booing an opposing team after their anthem was sung and if you see how people watch me dread, I say WDMC! I was really born in the wrong country yes. But all these people in the stadium have the latest Man U and Chelsea and Barcelona jersey and pack the sports bars every Champions League gameday and cheer teams that master the art of nasty play when needed and routinely boo, whistle and jeer visiting fans and players to their stadium. I never say boo the opposing team anthem or pelt them with bottle eh, but you could cheer your team on with raw passion and achieve the same thing. Sometimes I think the really true supporters of T&T football are the few hundred people on this site to be honest.

Just by virtue of importance of football to the national population, T&T should never qualify for another world cup. Every single Central American country has more passionate support than us. We have players who play every week in front large crowds in Europe, but trust me, having a support to be proud of at home and even away makes you more passionate on the field. Its human nature. When I used to talk to some of them 20 years old yutemen at school about support, you know what they told me? They say when they play at home in front 100,000 screaming fans, it raises the pores on their skin and they play to that passion, performing at a level that you cannot coach. When they travel on the road in front 100,000 opposing fans, and the school has a traveling 10,000 supporters, all they hear is the 10,000 supporting fans and that is just as powerful as if they were playing at home, cause they realise these fans going through just as much hardship as them on the field, if not greater.

Our culture is such that we extremely laid back, whether its obeying the law, reaching on time for work, or supporting the national sports. Natural talent has given us the odd success in the past, but we must never get upset with the players for not giving 100% effort. They are just 11 members of our population doing what comes natural to us.
Breds, this is ah new thing in T&T, bc i remember when i was ah yute going to watch games in PSA and especially colleges league football, ppl used to chant songs beat dudoop drum and sing all game long.

i could still remember the belmont intermediate song "two four six eight who do we appreciate, belmont indtermediate, go belmont go !" they would chant this over and over, the same for the mucorapo comprehensive song
"mucorapo we come out to win
mucorapo we come out to win
clausel, riley, oldman score she."

i talking bout tons of supporters chanting and singing while drums and dodoop playing nonstop.  this T&T what we seeing today is not the one i grew up with. these ppl must be foreigners who posing as trinis, while all the true trinis musta died out and migrated.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
Trini, is so much a people can take. I telling you, I have gone to games in TT and the support by the fans was second to none. TT v Chelsea, TT vSouthhampton, TT v Nautico, TT v Suriname(WC 7Olimpic), TT vBardos(Olimpic, WC), TT v Haiti(WCQ), North/South, POSFL/SFL/SFA. Malver/Maple, etc, etc, etc. I played for Essex and we played 2nd Div. NSL. And some Friday night game will have 3 to 5 thousand. If we double header with Div. one, we would have about 6 to 10 thousand in PSA. We I left home, man tell PSA used to be ram-cram, when ASL, COCO-rite, Tecsa, Sando strikers playing. And in my time we never had violence. We take we licks and go home. Remember that faithfull day in November vs the US. I know I lost a pint of blood in tears. We football fans not violent. Well I don't know about this new generation of yutes we have produced currently.

We fans are f--king fed up. No change in TTFF, no support. Plain and f--king simple. Now you talking about your US college football team. You think Jack could have done all them shit with your school. They would have run him out of town long time. Is since 2006 we getting shaft by jack and you want to circle the wagon when WC time come and then he diss after, win or lose. Fuego for he!!!!!

1]; } ?>