April 28, 2024, 05:45:55 PM

Author Topic: Yorke, Latapy unhappy with T&T football  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Yorke, Latapy unhappy with T&T football
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:17:50 PM »
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?action=post;board=2.0

Yorke, Latapy unhappy with T&T football
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Nov 24, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT

Local footballing greats Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy are deeply hurt by Trinidad and Tobago's early elimination from the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.

T&T's bid for a berth at the World Cup Finals in Brazil came to an end when the national senior team lost 2-1 in Guyana earlier this month.

Yorke and Latapy were inducted into the First Citizens Sports Foundation Hall of Fame, at the Hyatt Regency in Port of Spain, on Wednesday. Afterwards, they spoke about T&T's failed campaign.

"When you think of the kind of players that we possess," said Yorke, "and the history behind our country in terms of getting to the group stage (in World Cup qualifying), and we haven't been able to do that, there must be some serious questions we need to ask.

"Everyone knows that Jack Warner, being the person that he is, what he has brought to football for many years. I think he was highly underestimated, and he is a person that brought so much not to our country, but the whole of the CONCACAF region. He's a key factor in terms of development of our football over many, many, many years. That is a blow for us."

Warner, a former FIFA vice-president, resigned from all football activities amidst his alleged involvement in a bribery scandal.

"Whether they need young blood," Yorke continued, "or people with experience who have been there who can help them, they need to do something. We all need to really contribute back to our football, because the fact that we haven't qualified is a massive blow, and it's a serious warning for our football."

Latapy, a former coach of the T&T national senior team, said losing to Guyana was a painful blow.

"Because of all we've achieved in the past, it's very difficult and disheartening to take as fans--to know the point we reached in 2006, qualifying for the World Cup, to not having a chance to even play in the final group. I'm unhappy with where our football is."

Both Latapy and Yorke want to help T&T football.

"This is my country," said Yorke, "but the plain and simple fact that I haven't been asked, that's what it is.

"Football has given me a presidential lifestyle. I travelled the world, played in the best stadiums, happened to go along and win trophies along the way. That is something beyond my wildest dreams. It would be rude of me, in many respects, if I don't contribute something back to our football. I have gained a lot of knowledge and a lot of experience. No one in the Caribbean has even come close to what I have known and what I have experienced as a player.

"Despite my knowledge," Yorke continued, "despite my know-how as to the modern day...how the game is played, my coaching sessions that I've been doing, I've been able to pick the brains of Sir Alex Ferguson...I think I've got something to contribute. If the call comes in, and the sport's governing body asks me or the Government asks me to contribute, then I'm happy to do that."

Yorke had a short stint as assistant coach of the national team during the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke, Latapy unhappy with T&T football
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
I read this with more than a modicum of amusement.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »
Looks to me that Yorke after talking this upsetting nonsense:

"Everyone knows that Jack Warner, being the person that he is, what he has brought to football for many years. I think he was highly underestimated, and he is a person that brought so much not to our country, but the whole of the CONCACAF region. He's a key factor in terms of development of our football over many, many, many years. That is a blow for us."

Is now hinting that he wants to be given a similar chance to Latapy to coach our national team:

"Despite my knowledge," Yorke continued, "despite my know-how as to the modern day...how the game is played, my coaching sessions that I've been doing, I've been able to pick the brains of Sir Alex Ferguson...I think I've got something to contribute. If the call comes in, and the sport's governing body asks me or the Government asks me to contribute, then I'm happy to do that."

Yorke had a short stint as assistant coach of the national team during the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.

So it seems to me like Yorke didn’t learn from Latapy's bad experience with being given the national team job way too early as a coach!

My advice to Yorke is go prove yourself coaching a club or other junior national team first before believing that you suddenly deserve a shot at managing/coaching our national senior team!!

So Mr Yorke you can blame your partner Latapy but hero or super hero we not willing to risk something like that ever again!!  :yellowcard:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:12:20 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 06:13:14 AM »
Interesting comments from Dwight!!

I hope the ministry of sport (anil roberts) is watching!!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »
I would give Yorke the job with eyes closed
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
I would give Yorke the job with eyes closed
Yeh, put another inexperience untested coach in charge of our "SENIOR TEAM" just to save ah dollar. i specifically remembered that the federation used three inexpensive coaches tuh run our senior team and yuh saw where that got us, two gold cups, and two WCQ flushed down the sewer.

IMO let yorke get his feet wet in the english lower leagues and learn his craft before coming to experiment with our senior team, or let him coach the under 17, but dear god, not the mens senior team, we had enough intern in the last 5 yrs, including wim and latapy.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
Dem 2 need to go back whey they come from. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
Valid point from Dwight. No one has ever achieved what he has achieved. NO ONE!!! He can certainly contribute to local football, so can Latapy. Maybe not as head coaches to the Senior team, but to help re-develop local football once again. Keep in mind, those 2 players have served the country for about 20 yrs. That is ALOT of experience between those 2 and certainly, Yorke has played at the TOP level.

TTFA would be so foolish not to utlilize him in some aspect. FOOLISH. And people on here who still fight down this man, you guys needs to go back and look as his career. It will be a very long time that another local player emulates Dwight Yorke's success. We need to use this man in some aspect!!

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
Yes Dwight show dem yuh medals, trophies, various kits, drop some names; that should be enough tuh get the job as well as turn this thing around! Also doh forget a little team building during Carnival!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »
yes I would
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »
yes I would
That's why our football is in the state it's in, too much unbridled emotions and sensationalism in the football, with ppl making all the wrong decisions, from the heart and not the head.

it's time for the TTFF/ if not the government to spend some serious money especially on youth development and the senior team, no mo quickies, but long term strategic meticulous planning. IMO that's the only way forward, starting with an expensive european tactician @ the helm of our senior team for the next 6 yrs.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:53:37 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
Are we the only country who are so self-deluded that we think Yorke is too inexperiened to be appointed National coach?  That happens fairly often, where great players are given the keys to the Naational team after retiring. Some have done well and some have failed miserably.   But after looking at his leadership as captain of our WC team, I have no doubt that he will make a good coach.  Having said that, I believe that Yorke will be more effective by taking over an U17 team witht the goal of guiding them to the U17 World Cup and nurturing them towards U 19 WC, then Senior World Cup.  That assumes that he wants a long term commuttment to TT football.
Whatever happens, we need drastic changes in our football structure and national self esteem.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
Are we the only country who are so self-deluded that we think Yorke is too inexperiened to be appointed National coach?  That happens fairly often, where great players are given the keys to the Naational team after retiring. Some have done well and some have failed miserably.   But after looking at his leadership as captain of our WC team, I have no doubt that he will make a good coach.  Having said that, I believe that Yorke will be more effective by taking over an U17 team witht the goal of guiding them to the U17 World Cup and nurturing them towards U 19 WC, then Senior World Cup.  That assumes that he wants a long term commuttment to TT football.
Whatever happens, we need drastic changes in our football structure and national self esteem.

:beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 06:26:05 AM »
TTFF President welcomes Yorke and Latapy for future roles.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Acting Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation President Lennox Watson has responded to newly inducted Hall of famers Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy's offer to play a role in T&T football.

Watson has set the stage for talks with the former National captains regarding their input in the Federation's drive forward for local football.

"Come let's talk. We are more than willing to explore every avenue to allow you guys to play a part," stated Watson.

"This is a new beginning for us and we will be placing a heavy emphasis on youth development and I am sure Latapy and Yorke can be a huge inspiration to our youngsters.

"I feel encouraged by their public offer," added Watson. "It is vital for the Hislops, Yorkes and Latapys to pass on what they have learn't to our future generation of footballers".   

Latapy recently held the position as head coach before being replaced by Otto Pfister and Watson relayed that measures will be taken to address unresolved issues.

"The TTFF has a new mindset going forward and now we are in a position to do so, there are a lot of things our administration would approach differently."

" I am not one to linger in the past when the future beckons.

"We are going to make every effort to talk with Latapy and Yorke and we are prepared to listen to all who have suggestions that are progressive, added Watson.

The former Eastern Football Association President assured that the TTFF will be represented at the Ministry of Sport's consultation on football at Movietowne or Monday.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »
yes I would
That's why our football is in the state it's in, too much unbridled emotions and sensationalism in the football, with ppl making all the wrong decisions, from the heart and not the head.

it's time for the TTFF/ if not the government to spend some serious money especially on youth development and the senior team, no mo quickies, but long term strategic meticulous planning. IMO that's the only way forward, starting with an expensive european tactician @ the helm of our senior team for the next 6 yrs.

just cool, I agree with BM!!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
yes I would

Well good fuh you.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Acting Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation President Lennox Watson has responded to newly inducted Hall of famers Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy's offer to play a role in T&T football.

Watson has set the stage for talks with the former National captains regarding their input in the Federation's drive forward for local football.

"Come let's talk. We are more than willing to explore every avenue to allow you guys to play a part," stated Watson.

"This is a new beginning for us and we will be placing a heavy emphasis on youth development and I am sure Latapy and Yorke can be a huge inspiration to our youngsters.

"I feel encouraged by their public offer," added Watson. "It is vital for the Hislops, Yorkes and Latapys to pass on what they have learn't to our future generation of footballers".   

Latapy recently held the position as head coach before being replaced by Otto Pfister and Watson relayed that measures will be taken to address unresolved issues.

"The TTFF has a new mindset going forward and now we are in a position to do so, there are a lot of things our administration would approach differently."

"We are going to make every effort to talk with Latapy and Yorke and we are prepared to listen to all who have suggestions that are progressive, added Watson.

The former Eastern Football Association President assured that the TTFF will be represented at the Ministry of Sport's consultation on football at Movietowne or Monday.
Doh mind latapy, he has ah part tuh play in the state of T&T football's recent demise. he stood right there and take all dat BS from jack and stayed quiet like ah lamb and never even try to  twist one ah jack's fingers for him to do more for T&T football, especially in terms of yute development.

right now latas realize he need financial security so he want tuh ride dat gravy train once again, but don't come off like yuh care bout T&T football, bc shaka and brent done show we allyuh fellas is mercenaries.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:24:25 PM by just cool »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
yes I would

Well good fuh you.
It is so much more than spending "some serious money especially on youth development and the senior team".

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:34:20 PM »
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Doh mind latapy, he has ah part tuh play in the state of T&T football's recent demise. he stood right there and take all dat BS from jack and stayed quiet like ah lamb and never even try to  twist one ah jack's fingers for him to do more for T&T football, especially in terms of yute development.

right now latas realize he need financial security so he want tuh ride dat gravy train once again, but don't come off like yuh care bout T&T football, bc shaka and brent done show we allyuh fellas is mercenaries.

Now dis is what I would classify as "unbridled emotions and sensationalism in the football" and not seeing it for what it really is.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »
yes I would

Well good fuh you.
It is so much more than spending "some serious money especially on youth development and the senior team".
Breds, apart from the blacklist and meddling with player payment and team selection, the TTFF has failed to develop football in ah proper structured way, both on ah youth and senior team level, which means they were being cheap and lazy with not one academy in place.

they also failed to allow the players union representation, but these are the main culprits, other than that we coulda live with the rest of their faults. BTW, lemme ask yuh this, when did ppl become disenchanted with the TTFF, was it before or after the world cup with the payment dispute?

bc i seem to remember a lot of ppl satisfied with the TTFF as long as they could qualify for the hex and make it to every WC, and that's just simply not enough.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:14:36 PM by just cool »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
Looks to me that Yorke after talking this upsetting nonsense:

Is now hinting that he wants to be given a similar chance to Latapy to coach our national team:

So it seems to me like Yorke didn’t learn from Latapy's bad experience with being given the national team job way too early as a coach!

My advice to Yorke is go prove yourself coaching a club or other junior national team first before believing that you suddenly deserve a shot at managing/coaching our national senior team!!

So Mr Yorke you can blame your partner Latapy but hero or super hero we not willing to risk something like that ever again!! :yellowcard:

Yuh mean getting  manners-ed by guyana was better than latapy losing to Jamrock. I think not. Now don't think that I am Pfister bashing here because im not. I real like Pfister's style. However, I dont know a coach that could motivate a demoralized team of players especially when he or she doesnt have the power to strike at the demoralizing factor or agent in our case the TTFF's inability to run a business successfully keeping all working parts properly greased and oiled.

I dont think, without bigger private sector sponsorship that we can employ a big name coach like Pfister for 4 years so don't be too quick to discard our own especially when Jamal Shabaaz out coached Pfister.

Maybe Jamal had a full contingent of motivated hungry players working as his catalyst; whatever his winning ways were, he did just that. The cancer remains the running of the TTFF and Yorke and Latas's statements reflect that the "TTFF Spring" (Arab Spring) is coming.

The question is, is there going to be a power vacuum between the likes of Sancho and team vs yorke and team. Speaking ahead of myself, for sure they can't leave out Shaka because he could be the unite-er of the 2 groups.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
Dem 2 need to go back whey they come from. 

Yuh mean Tobago and Barataria?   
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
Sorry Dwight but its not our fault about jack being gone . Its his own fault ,greed  maybe .....sorry but  am sure he could have just said no thanks . Its not our fault he got busted ,so get over it ,we have to fix this.
We on this site are always here for you ,Tallman and Flex  me  most of us will always be here to rebuild a proper federation .

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:54 PM »
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Now dis is what I would classify as "unbridled emotions and sensationalism in the football" and not seeing it for what it really is.
So let me ask yuh something bro, what did latapy do for T&T football when he coached the senior team? and if yuh willing to be honest, your reply would be, absolutely nothing!

as ah matter of fact he did more damage than good, bc he could've conceded that he didn't have the goods to take us any further after the failed hex, and allowed ah better more qualified tactician to take over the senior team, but no, he stayed and did more damage to the team destroying our fifa ranking losing out to cuba and grenada in the first round of the degicel, and missing out on another gold cup,

and inspite of all that, after 18 months of damage he still wanted to stay on, so how on earth could this man say he love T&T football! and tuh add insult have the unmitigated gall tuh say he didn't like the direction the football is going and he's unhappy with the state of T&T football when he was partially responsible for the state of the football, and still insisted on insulting our intelligence by getting his fren dwight tuh back him up.

i know a lot of the latapy worshipers would say "jack and the federation didn't give him no help" which ensured his failure, but the fact remains, no one had his legs tied to ah tree, if he didn't like the terms and conditions he worked under then he could've walked away.

one of the main reasons i don't care for latas is bc he ate his biscuit and shut his mouth, like every other trini who got ah Bligh with the federation tuh make some money, unlike otto, wim and beenhaker who spoke out against all the insufficiency's surrounding football in this country, latas didn't even whisper in jack ears that he need to get more help or else we eh going now where!         but go on ahead bro, let another intern have ah go @ we football.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:19:37 PM by just cool »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »
where were yorke and latas in their prime when TT needed them for WCQ? ::)

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:53 AM »
"I dont think, without bigger private sector sponsorship that we can employ a big name coach like Pfister for 4 years so don't be too quick to discard our own especially when Jamal Shabaaz out coached Pfister. "
Really? In modern football no one out-coaches another...it either one team is better than the other based on available players or the fullness of preparation be it physical/tactical or mental preparation.
I'm reading all these comments and I think many are failing the recognize that success at this level requires many pieces of the puzzel to be well constructed. Why the persistance in making assessments based on results only? Many factors can cotribute to the final outcome of a match and sometimes it has very little to do with the coach.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

1]; } ?>