April 27, 2024, 03:39:47 PM

Author Topic: ASSASSINATION PLOT THREAD  (Read 16240 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ASSASSINATION PLOT THREAD
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »
..Trinidad PM says assassination plot uncovered
By TONY FRASER | AP – 17 hrs ago....
that police have uncovered an apparent plot to assassinate her and members of her government in the southern Caribbean country.

At a press conference in Trinidad's capital, Kamla Persad-Bissessar gave no specifics of the alleged plot, but indicated that it was a response by criminal groups to her government's ongoing state of emergency to tackle crime and dismantle gangs.

"The criminals are hurting in their pockets and so I am not surprised such elements would seek to make good on their threats of reprisals," Persad-Bissessar told reporters in Port-of-Spain.

Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs also declined to provide any details regarding the alleged plot. But he said about a dozen people have been detained. Their identities were not released.

"It would be imprudent to provide further details as we are engaged in looking at the threats," Gibbs said.

Earlier this month, Persad-Bissessar's government lifted a nearly three-month curfew that had helped stem a surging homicide rate but disgruntled many in a Caribbean country known for its party culture and carnival celebrations.

At the time, Persad-Bissessar said the state of emergency, which allows police to search properties without warrants, would remain in place and warned that limited curfews would be applied in some areas as needed.

The emergency orders, which have helped dramatically reduce homicides, come up for review in December and the country is divided on whether it has been a success.

On Thursday, the prime minister said the alleged assassination plot would not deter her government and the security forces from dismantling criminal gangs.

"We will noted be cowed in any way and we will give no quarter to them and our resolve has been strengthened to return Trinidad and Tobago to the peaceful place it used to be," she said.

She did not specifically say if she would push to have the state of emergency extended.

Trinidad and Tobago, the full name of the twin-island nation of 1.3 million people, is one of the most prosperous Caribbean countries thanks to oil and natural gas that make it a major fuel supplier for the U.S. and other nations.

It has one of the region's most diverse populations, a blend of African, Indian, Chinese and Middle Eastern cultures. But like other Caribbean nations, it also has developed a gang culture fueled by drug trafficking that has caused crime to soar.

The country has experienced political turmoil in the past, including a 1990 attempted coup by Muslim extremists that prompted the last state of emergency in Trinidad.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ASSASSINATION PLOT THREAD
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
..Trinidad prime minister says assassination plot foiled
AFP – 12 hrs ago............Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, pictured in October, said …

Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said local security forces had foiled an assassination plot against her and several government ministers.

Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs said 12 people were arrested, including members of the local Defence Force, in an operation conducted by over 100 soldiers and police.

The announcement drew skepticism from the mayor of Port of Spain and others who raised concerns that the government might use it to extend a three-month state of emergency.

Persad-Bissessar said the "sinister plot" was concocted by "nefarious elements" in response to the "success" of the country's state of emergency, which has been in effect since August 21.

Local security "forces have thwarted what is an evil, devious act of treason," she said. "We are flushing out... these nefarious elements. They are finally confronted by a government which has the political will (to take them on)."

News of the assassination plot was met with skepticism from labor leaders and the mayor of Port of Spain, who said they hoped it would not be used to extend a state of emergency in effect since August 21.

Earlier this week, several trade unions declared their intention to resume protest action against the government as soon as the State of Emergency was lifted on December 5.

"We have no evidence of this so called assassination plot," said Vincent Cabrera, president of the Banking, Insurance and General Workers Union.

"So far, it is very incredulous that, just two weeks before the lifting of the state of emergency, another threat is being hoisted upon us. They cannot keep a state of emergency forever."

"It is my sincerest hope that the prime minister doesn't use this latest story to extend the state of emergency," said Port of Prince Mayor Louis Lee Sing.

The government said in August it was imposing the state of emergency in response to intelligence information that it could not share with the public.

Three days later, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said the government had "averted a crisis." But the state of emergency remained in place and the government subsequently extended it for three months.

Two hundred and thirty six persons were arrested during that period under the Anti-Gang Act but all were released within weeks after chief public prosecutor Roger Gaspard concluded there was "no reasonable prospect of conviction."

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »
Ent they could name people who are arrested ?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:32:01 AM »
Me eh able to copy and paste articles.

Read it yuhself.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/No_politics_here__threat_is_real-134476398.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Cops_continue_search_for_would-be_assassins-134476403.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/___Believe_it_or_not_there_is_a_plot__says_Gibbs-134476413.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Team_files_court_action_to_release_Karamath-134476373.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/AN_ACT_OF_TREASON-134476423.html

Nah...DIS ONE deserve posting:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/The_Prime_Minister_s_speech-134476418.html

The following is the full text of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar's statement on the assasination plot:

I want to say, I never expected those who plotted against the security of our nation to congratulate me and my government for curtailing their ability to operate but I did anticipate their extreme displeasure. The State of Emergency has had a major impact on crime reduction and if I may share with you the following information that between August the 21st and November the 23rd thus far 7,269 persons have been arrested of these only 6.4 %( 463 persons) were arrested on gang related charges, the minority. The others were arrested on charges related to

• Drug offences

• Serious offences

• Homicide investigations

• Outstanding warrants

• Ammunition

• Firearms seized

In addition as of this morning 13,183 rounds of ammunition and 34 magazines have been recovered. 1bullet ladies and gentleman 1 life, also seized were 173 firearms I am told that 1 gun can "take out" 20 people.

In this three month period my Government's focus has been on the protection of life and property. We have seized over 1.5 billion dollars in drugs, the largest single "drug bust" worth over 55 million dollars. We are hurting them in their pockets. [EH? When dis happen?]

The criminal elements have tried to make good on their threats to carry out reprisals. I am grateful to the intelligence resources that uncovered the assassination plot.

As a result of their vigilance they have thwarted what was an evil, devious act of treason against the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Their actions have proven that the efforts of the government are having the desired effect. We are flushing them out; we are making it almost impossible to operate as they would have in the past.

These nefarious elements, with support from others whose names will also come to light in time, are finally confronted by a government which possesses the political will, courage and strength of conviction to stoutly defend and protect the citizens of our country. We will not cow to them, nor negotiate with them not give any quarter to them. No quarter to them.

The cowardly plots against me and the people's government serve only to strengthen my resolve and embolden efforts to eradicate this scourge from our society. For far too long these criminals have been allowed to flourish as the untouchables some with their sinister connections of legitimacy. The intense pressure brought to bear by our initiatives will be intensified and I will stop at nothing to return Trinidad and Tobago to the peaceful state we once enjoyed.

I want to remind you of what occurred in 1990. A commission of inquiry was established at that time and reports were produced and nothing was done with the information and that is why we have agreed to have this current Commission of Inquiry to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again.

I have spoken with the Leader of the opposition and have agreed that persons authorized by the Security forces will share with him the intelligence that we have. He has agreed to meet with them.

I wish to assure the nation that the uncovering of this plot and the motives for carrying it out demonstrate the competency and effectiveness of the government's national security resources and initiatives. The Republic is safer than ever. Your personal security and that of the nation is in safe hands. Once again, our protective services and intelligence units have performed admirably. Trinidad and Tobago salutes you.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
I personally think sey this thread should go into the entertainment section until di Police force actually charge people wid it.. Di Police force still wutless..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »
I hear lefty get hold  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
I hear lefty get hold  :devil:

steups........wouldn't even be seen coming :devil:
I pity the fool....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
Men doing they planning on a facebook page or what.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:46:18 AM »
The fact there is so much doubt about the validity of this threat shows the credibility of the government is in the toilet. For the umpteenth time a position has been taken and the PM is hiding a hands behind her back saying some mischief is afoot. Hopefully we will get names and pics of the perpetrators of this plot.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:16:21 AM »
I just can't understand why - if this threat was real - they haven't called in Ian Alleyne. I mean, Kamla could go on Crimewatch and give her side of events and then Ian could tell everyone that " he's not playing and that he will mash up those responsible"

On a more serious note, I can't see the point of a "crime lord" doing this, because the replacement PM and AG would come back even harder. So, if there was a plot, its kinda pointless as a long term strategy.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »
I just can't understand why - if this threat was real - they haven't called in Ian Alleyne. I mean, Kamla could go on Crimewatch and give her side of events and then Ian could tell everyone that " he's not playing and that he will mash up those responsible"

On a more serious note, I can't see the point of a "crime lord" doing this, because the replacement PM and AG would come back even harder. So, if there was a plot, its kinda pointless as a long term strategy.

???  Not supporting the validity of the threat or not only your highlighted comment.  Since when does that impact organized crime?  In almost all societies where lawlessness prevails this the standard MO, for crying out loud, it happened in Uncle Sam as well
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »
You remember the time people find out about the threat, there was supposed to be a statement by the AG/Judge as to why Ish and them did not get deported. So again smoke and mirrors. No explanation as to why UNC financiers were not deported and how the Judge in the case arrived at that decision.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 06:30:52 AM »
EXPERTS LED PLOT TO KILL KAMLA
By NALINEE SEELAL (Newsday).
Sunday, November 27 2011

The hunt is on for high-powered sniper rifles which were to be used in the assassination attempt of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and two members of her Cabinet.

The rifles were part of a cache of arms secretly brought into this country, and which were reportedly used in the target training practise at a secret camp in east Trinidad by three rogue ex-soldiers, who are now in custody assisting in the probe into the assassination attempt.

The three ex-soldiers, two of whom worked in the Defence Force and the other, a Coast Guardsman, were dishonourably discharged from the army and Coast Guard after they were found to be in possession of illegal arms, ammunition and drugs.

The three, who had over 15 years service, are all trained marksmen, and according to intelligence sources, were the actual trainers for the persons who were supposed to carry out the assassination attempt on the Prime Minister and two other Cabinet ministers.

One of the ex-soldiers detained has a farm in east Trinidad, and police believe that he was using it as a cover for the illegal trading of arms and ammunition. His farm is close to where a secret camp was found by law enforcement officers recently, and where several spent shells as well as paper targets were found.

That ex-soldier was up until yesterday in a cell at the Central Police Station in Port-of-Spain, where he is being heavily guarded. The ex-soldier has denied any involvement in an assassination plot.

Police have also detained a Trinidadian man, 30 years old, from the El Socorro, San Juan area who worked as a soldier in the US Army. That man was detained on Thursday and was up until yesterday being questioned in connection with the assassination plot.

Yesterday, Chief of Defence Staff, Brig Kenrick Maharaj, told Sunday Newsday that every effort is being made to verify if any law enforcement officer still on active duty is linked to this assassination attempt. He said intelligence officers are at this time trying to verify this.

“At this point in time we are engaged in a comprehensive investigation in both the police and Defence Force with respect to any other persons who may be involved in this assassination plot, or any other criminal activities,” Maharaj said in a telephone interview.

He commended officers who have been working round the clock to bring closure to this probe, and maintained that the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force and other arms of the military remain committed to preserving law and order.

Thirteen persons have so far been detained in connection with the assassination plot and police hope to lay charges against some of the detained shortly. Apart from the men with local military backgrounds, four businessmen, an ex-soldier with the US Army, two police sergeants and three others have also been detained.

A secret camp which police believe was used to train persons involved in the assassination plot was discovered last week, and the country remained on high alert yesterday.

The assassination attempt was supposed to take place on Thursday following the Cabinet meeting, and the persons targeted were Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, and Minister of Housing and Environment Roodal Moonilal.

The plot was discovered two weeks ago by Special Branch officers, and the first person to be detained in connection with the plot was a central businessman last Monday.

Sunday Newsday was reliably informed yesterday that more persons allegedly involved in the assassination plot are to be detained under an authorisation order.

Yesterday, Deputy Police Commissioner Mervyn Richardson told Sunday Newsday that the investigation into the assassination plot is well underway, and officers are working round the clock to bring closure to the investigation. He pointed out that police officers will be carrying out searches, roadblocks and exercises as part of the attempt to flush out criminal elements, not only linked to the assassination plot, but those involved in other criminal activities.

A security blanket has been placed over the residence of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, and new security arrangements made for her and other Cabinet colleagues in wake of the assassination plot.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 08:35:38 AM »
say what yuh want, if this is indeed true , this is a serious act treason , people might be angry with the government but plotting to kill is on a whole different level of hate. If this plot is indeed as they say, it should be a straight death sentence. Imagine what would have happened if the PM (PP or PNM) were to be assassinated  :( 
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
say what yuh want, if this is indeed true , this is a serious act treason , people might be angry with the government but plotting to kill is on a whole different level of hate. If this plot is indeed as they say, it should be a straight death sentence. Imagine what would have happened if the PM (PP or PNM) were to be assassinated  :( 
You're absolutely correct. Why hasn't anyone been charged yet though.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »

Gathering of evidence maybe?

Under an SOE they could hold somebody for 7 days right? So the latest charges should be laid is next week or thereabouts. Holding 13 people should indicate that they have SOMETHING.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »

I agree wholehearted with DWH on this one, even more so since d country is already on a very sharp knife edge...........but yuh have to agree that d initial skepticism that greeted news of the threat was ah problem of the gov't own making.............one question dat would be interesting to ask is if they truly have captured all the players involved given our poor intel gathering and investigative skills
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
steups... yawn

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
Okay, so we was under cufew and still under an SoE, the whole country lock down, the sea too; where did the guns come in and how were they allowed to enter the country? A heightened state of security and guns still coming in? How then can one argue for the success of the SoE, if at the end - when people could not move freely - guns are still getting into the hands of rogue members of society?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
Okay, so we was under cufew and still under an SoE, the whole country lock down, the sea too; where did the guns come in and how were they allowed to enter the country? A heightened state of security and guns still coming in? How then can one argue for the success of the SoE, if at the end - when people could not move freely - guns are still getting into the hands of rogue members of society?

Ah find yuh asking too many questions!!
Are you PNM by any chance?  ::)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 10:34:20 AM »
Latest news is that is just d PM and AG that the threat is about. They wondering y peeps feel it eh true.

Offline bibbillpaul

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »
OK forget about that lets move on, we had a Guinness and puncheon with red bull and miss spoke .

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
notice they never said that the SOE was because there was a credible threat against the Gov't rather it seems as if the curfew uncovered the plot thereby justifying the SOE.
maybe I've read too many hardy boys and nancy drew growing up but wouldn't the first person you want to charge be the ring leader and all evidence gathered be in support of that looks like they goin deep sea fishin for cascadoo.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
PLOT TO KILL, TRIGGER PANIC
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,151402.html

PLOT TO KILL, TRIGGER PANIC
By Clint Chan Tack Tuesday, November 29 2011

Selwyn “Robocop” Alexis is being held under a detention order for his alleged role in a conspiracy to assassinate Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, Housing and Environment Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal and Local Government Minister Chandresh Sharma.

Three other men, Ashmeed Choate, Shane Crawfowd and Chionesu Luqman, are also now in custody under detention orders for their roles in plotting to destabilise the country and to cause major panic.

National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy yesterday signed the detention orders for the four men in accordance with the Emergency Powers Regulations 2011.

Newsday obtained copies of the detention orders, numbered 238, 239, 240, 241, which were gazetted yesterday.

Order 239, issued to Alexis, states he “has been named as a person involved in a conspiracy to assassinate the following government officials, which assassinations were to occur on November 24, 2011.”

The government officials listed in the order issued to Alexis are Persad-Bissessar, Ramlogan, Moonilal and Sharma.

In the document, Sandy notes that it was necessary to place Alexis, of Francois Street, Enterprise, Chaguanas, under detention to prevent him from “acting in any manner prejudicial to public safety or public order or the defence of Trinidad and Tobago”.

Only Alexis was named as being involved in the assassination plot.

The other three, however, were identified for roles in a plot to destabilise the country.

Detention order 238, issued for Choate, of 167 Craignish Road, Princes Town, states Choate has been identified as “the mastermind behind a plot to destabilise Trinidad and Tobago and cause major panic”.

Orders 240 and 241 for Luqman and Crawfowd respectively state they are among persons “behind a plot to destabilise Trinidad and Tobago and cause major panic.”

Several addresses were listed for Luqman in Mon Repos, Upper Malick, Morvant, East Dry River, Belmont and Valencia.

Crawfowd, also known as Asadullah, has addresses at 349 Dass Branch Trace, Enterprise, Chaguanas and Balisier Road, Smith Field Lands, Wallerfield.

All four are being held at the Eastern Detention Correctional and Rehabilitation Centre at Churchill Roosevelt Highway, Santa Rosa, Arima.

At a news conference held at the National Security Ministry’s Temple Court headquarters on Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain, Sandy said he signed detention orders “for four individuals who are in police custody with respect to an assassination plot against high-ranking officials of the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, including our Prime Minister.”

At the time, he did not name the four persons.

Detention orders were being prepared for nine other persons and will be issued pending legal advice.

Last week, 13 people were arrested by the police in connection to the murder conspiracy.

Sandy explained that Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs had submitted to him a report two weeks ago stating that “intelligence units of the service had uncovered a threat to the nation’s security.”

“On Friday, November 18, 2011, Commissioner Gibbs in an official document reported to me that his intelligence personnel had unearthed a plot to assassinate the Prime Minister and three members of her Cabinet.”

The three ministers were Ramlogan, Moonilal and Sharma.

Sandy said the plotters had planned to carry out the killings on November 24.

“This plot to undermine the security and stability of the Republic of TT was to be executed on November 24, 2011, the 24th being a significant date in the political successes of the Prime Minister,” he told reporters.

Persad-Bissessar was elected United National Congress (UNC) political leader on January 24, 2010, appointed Opposition Leader on February 24, 2010 and elected Prime Minister on May 24, 2010.

“As a consequence, the Prime Minister was immediately alerted and briefed on the same afternoon of November 18, by senior members of law enforcement,” Sandy added.

He explained that as a result of the further gathering of intelligence by the security forces, five days after he received the report from Gibbs and Persad-Bissessar was briefed on the matter, the 13 persons who are now in police custody were arrested and detained at different locations in the country. “They remain in custody and continue to be interrogated,” he stated.

Sandy said there were no clear motives as to why Moonilal and Sharma were targeted for assassination. He added the only possible linkage which investigators have advanced are the fact that CEPEP falls under Moonilal’s portfolio while Sharma’s ministry manages one part of the Unemployment Relief Programme (URP).

Indicating that a serving member of the Police Service, two former soldiers and a former member of the Coast Guard were among those detained, Sandy reiterated how saddened he was that former members of the military were involved in the plot.

In the case of the four persons, now being held under detention orders, Sandy said consideration is being given to charging them under the Anti-Terrorism Act among other laws.

Reminded that the state of emergency ends on December 5 and Government, Sandy said, “By then, we should have sufficient evidence to pursue the matters. If we don’t, then they have to be released.”

Asked about previous arrests of persons, who were held under the Anti-Gang Act, but have been released due to a lack of evidence, Sandy replied, “Well, I used to be in the military, never a police officer. That is something for the police.”

He reminded reporters that Government had engaged the services of Law Association president Dana Seetahal SC, Israel Khan SC, Pamela Elder SC and Theodore Guerra SC to provide legal advice on these and other matters during the state of emergency.

Seetahal and a team of lawyers met the Attorney General on Sunday at Seetahal’s El Dorado chambers in Port-of-Spain to discuss the preparation of the detention orders.

During the briefing, Sandy disclosed he had requested a report from the Chief Immigration Officer with respect to a pair of Israeli nationals who were reportedly in the custody of Caribbean Airlines but escaped five months ago.

Reporters asked whether police were investigating whether those individuals were involved in the assassination plot.

“I am advised by the police that all avenues are being explored,” Sandy replied. Sandy neither confirmed nor denied whether wire-tapping was one of the tactics used to detain the 13 persons now in custody.

He also remained silent about reports that the plot had international links to extremist or fundamentalist groups outside of TT.

However, he did reveal that the American Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the British MI- 6 intelligence agency were “among other international agencies” who were collaborating with local security forces in ongoing investigations into this matter.

Saying Persad-Bissessar held a briefing to speak about the plot last Thursday because she felt it was time to “apprise the population” since there were rumours circulating in the country, Sandy said, “The fact of the matter remains no matter how high your level of security is, it could be breached.”

He said the Prime Minister felt she could continue with her schedule of public engagements and “the security around her will take care of her.”

Observing it was harder to protect someone like Persad-Bissessar in public, Sandy said, “I totally agree but then what do you do? Stay underground forever? It doesn’t make sense.”

Asked whether Persad-Bissessar will still be attending the Third Summit of Latin American and Caribbean leaders in Caracas, Venezuela on Friday and Saturday, all Sandy was prepared to say was “it has been discussed.”

After Sandy said security personnel close to Persad-Bissessar are being checked in relation to the plot, Newsday asked whether similar checks are being done for all government officials who report directly to the Prime Minister or who are close enough to be aware of sensitive information she is privy to.

“You can’t be 100 percent certain about things like that but you make every effort through vetting, through enquiries of the personnel to ensure that the people you have close to you are loyal to you.”

Asked again if these persons were being checked out by security forces, Sandy replied, “They must be.”

Asked whether there was any evidence that there were persons who were politically opposed to the Government involved in this plot, Sandy replied, “That thought has occurred. I would not what to comment on that from a political perspective, we are looking now at the strategic operational aspect of things.”

Asked how this plot differed from a case in 2001 when then prime minister Basdeo Panday claimed there was a plot to overthrow the then UNC administration, of which Persad-Bissessar was a Cabinet minister, Sandy said, “Now we have the intelligence.”

Recalling he was the TT Defence Force Chief of Staff at that time, Sandy said his reply to Panday’s claim was, “what plot?”

“I knew nothing of it at that time. I still don’t. When I asked him about it, he said he had information that certain people in the country were trying to kill him. I had nothing positive from the Commissioner of Police at the time neither did I get anything from him that would suggest some reason to pursue it.”

Gibbs, who attended the briefing along with Defence Force Chief of Staff Brigadier Kenrick Maharaj and Minister in the Ministry of National Security Collin Partap, said many of the questions which were put to Sandy were speculative in nature.

“I will not answer those questions with regards to investigative tactics and investigations that are underway. It would be inappropriate for me to do that as it could compromise any kind of investigation that we have, any kind of evidence that we may be gathering,” Gibbs said.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
Is it common practice to publicize moves made by such deep intelligence?

If the CIA thwarted a plot to kill Obama, is that gonna be on the front page of the Post the next morning?

honest question...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »
Is it common practice to publicize moves made by such deep intelligence?

If the CIA thwarted a plot to kill Obama, is that gonna be on the front page of the Post the next morning?

honest question...

Not a matter of  publicizing moves but if there is a credible threat you don't say anything until the investigation is almost done and people are on the verge of being arrested. In this case it seems as if they are arresting people then trying to investigate. For example they arrested an ex-soldier and accused him of  smuggling weapons now mind you if that truly were the case then wouldn't have followed the trail back to the supplier and be working with Interpol, the FBI or whomever to apprend that supplier?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »
This country is so unstable.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:45 AM »

dread stop d indian hating
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »

dread stop d indian hating

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNN

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
Coup plot: Trying to convince the sceptics
Published: Wed, 2011-11-30 21:35
Tony Fraser

No one genuinely discerning of the state of politics in T&T and the world should be surprised at the measure of disbelief, cynicism, blind support and equally blind opposition to the very serious allegation that a group of people has been planning to assassi- nate Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and three of her Cabinet ministers. Here is the Prime Minister not sending her Minister of National Security but coming to the population (this is after the so patent backroom, orchestrated leaks of the previous day) and putting her reputation and the credibility of the Government on the line, informing about and giving context to a plot to assassinate her and her ministers.

Moreover, she was supported in her effort by the Commissioner of Police who attested to the assassination plot, and in the background the head of the Defence Force who sought to lend the weight of his office to the allegations. But even before the statements are finished there are the cynics on radio talk shows and social media sending messages across the world, those so minded saying that the alleged plot is a hoax.

Indeed, inside the news conference studio, Commissioner Gibbs, who at the best of times seems incapable of exuding confidence and rigour, recognises a measure of disbelief among a few reporters, so much so that he finds it necessary to say to them they could choose to believe or not, to disbelieve would be their prerogative, but that the plot has been discovered and the police are investigating it. But to bolster the strength of the allegations, the CoP indicates that a dozen people have been arrested and among them members (or former members) of the police and army.

But notwithstanding the Prime Minister and the security forces going this far to convince the sceptics, the disbelief continues. Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar went one step further and consulted with the Leader of the Opposition, Dr Keith Rowley, and secured a confidential meeting for him and the commissioner. Out of such a decision, the Prime Minister must have hoped to get a buy-in from the Leader of the Opposition for the selling of the allegation to that section of the population supportive of Dr Rowley. In addition, the Prime Minister must have been hoping to influence those not aligned to either side. 

But as we know, Dr Rowley, although so far keeping the confidence about the details of the plot, has deemed it to be overreaction by the Government and behind it a plan to extend the state of emergency. So here is what must be referred to as a very serious threat against the Prime Minister and three of her ministers, with the police and army as points of reference, and the Attorney General all there to give credibility and stiffening to the claims, and yet there are significant pockets of disbelief in the society. 

How could such people, the analyst may want to ask, so believe that a Prime Minister could be seeking to deceive and toss the country into turmoil to achieve some sectarian, short-term objective? What is more, how could people, those online, the callers and others, think that a government, any government, would place itself in jeopardy simply to win public sympathy which would fizzle if the allegations turn into a hoax?

Understandably, the cynics and believers should be divided into groups: the tribal supporters of the ruling and opposition parties who can be easily led around by their noses, who will see no evil, hear no evil about their party and tribe but will easily agree that the claims and actions of the other are false. This phenomenon of blind loyalty has seriously blighted the politics; it has given us a mass from which there can be drawn no critical thinking, just driven by tribal instincts.  What it does in times such as those we are in now is to make public discourse meaningless as the tribal, unthinking loyalty offers nothing constructive to infuse the discussion and inform the society.

Those who support the ruling party will have us believe without questioning that the drug dealers are out to get the Prime Minister for smashing their drug rings, and that the Leader of the Opposition is hopelessly out of touch.  On the other side there are those telling the nation that Mrs Persad-Bissessar represents the quintessence of Machiavellian intrigue and so no one should believe anything she and her Gov- ernment say. Outside of those entrenched blocs, there are many whose scepticism is based on the reality of a political culture which has been developing over the decades. That culture is founded in Anancy politics, who could outsmart who, deception being the first line of communication and the belief that at their very core, those who would engage in politics are inherently corrupt and so incapable of truth.

This is the reality of the politics developed by the political parties; it offers little hope for rational thinking and meaningful political participation. There are those who would say that culture has been very deliberately developed in the post-independence period so that the parties can depend on tribal loyalties. What seems fair to conclude is that a Prime Minister, the CoP, the Defence Force commander, the Attorney General and the Minister of National Security and threatened ministers could not hold the population in such contempt that they believe they could so deceive. Therefore, it must be that there is substance to the alleged assassination plot.

But like others, this columnist has a healthy scepticism of politicians and their parties. What is more, politicians and their parties have earned the disbelief which people have of them. Therefore, the allegation is before the Government and the security forces to be proven, and neither one of the two entities could seek to lay blame on each other for some faux pas which blocks the way forward. Nothing short of an unqualified conviction in the courts would satisfy those with doubts and there can be no long drawn-out investigation and deliberation: the police must go out and find the evidence to convince the Director of Public Prosecutions there is a basis for the laying of charges.

1]; } ?>