April 29, 2024, 12:41:19 AM

Author Topic: A future for football?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
A future for football?
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
A future for football?
By Peter O’Connor (Newsday).

This is a continuation of last week’s commentary “No Soca in Sao Paulo”. I had looked briefly at our World Cup history and then questioned our “national character”, and asked whether we, not just our football, could sustain excellence.

Over the years, “the administration” has been criticised as the greatest hindrance to Football’s progress. I was part of that administration from 1973 through 1991, the last five years as president. Then in 2003 I returned, to help organise all the home matches of the Journey to Germany, and the Caribbean Youth Cups, 2004 and 2005.

I acknowledge the problems and the successes and am aware, more than most commentators, of the difficulties of any administration working as a team in our society. As in every other aspect of our lives “competing interests” always override the overall good or goal. That is a reality which existed in the 1970s, today, and will continue in the future.

But, yes, the administration must bear responsibility for failing to resolve disputes, for often taking inexplicable actions or reactions, and for appearing “non-transparent” much of the time.

But most of the “development” criticism is unfair. Much is said about the lack of steady development, but we forget easily. Early in the 1980s Dutch Coach Jan Zwartkryus told us that we could only develop internationally by competing seriously at the youth levels.

And we did this. We competed in every CFU and CONCACAF competition through the 1980s and beyond. Our CFU U-14’s went on to CONCACAF U-16’s and then U-19’s. We hosted several of those tournaments. But we were roundly attacked for this. “Stop wasting time and money on youth and concentrate on World Cups” read one editorial.

The results, by names: Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, Shaka Hislop, Stern John, Leonson Lewis, Jerren Nixon, Angus Eve, Clayton Ince, and many others. The Strike Squad of 1989 was made up totally of players who had represented TT at Youth level.

The culmination of that programme, was our appearance at the FIFA U-20 Finals in Portugal 1991. The programme fell apart in the 1990s, for want of commitment and funding, and although we entered every qualification stage, and hosted the 2001 FIFA U-17 (enter Kenwyne Jones!), we never “developed”.

Jack Warner introduced the Caribbean Youth Cup in 2004, and with this thrust we qualified for a FIFA U-17 and U-20 Final tournament.

So, if we are producing youngsters like (Hayden) Tinto and (Kevin) Molino and (Akeem) Adams and others who competed with Italy on the world stage, who will we put to coach them? The discussion does not revolve around individuals, but on “Foreign or Local”.

With all respect to our patriotism, the argument is invalid. We need a coach. A person, a leader who can do the job required. And the job required right now is to rebuild our national senior team, with some of the excellent players we still have available. Right now that task is in the capable hands of Angus Eve, in St Kitts with our U-23 Team. But I mean no disrespect when I say that Angus may not be the one to take us forward at the senior level.

We produce very few genuine “Leaders”, anywhere in our society.

Coaching is leadership, and then strategy and tactics. I have only seen one Trinidadian/Tobagonian who showed any leadership, imposed any discipline and elicited any respect from our players. And that was, and is, Gally Cummings. But, in that same period, I only saw one foreigner who had those qualities, and that was Leo Beenhacker.

Gally had one overseas player in his squad and that was David Nakhid. There were serious problems between Gally and David, and while the media and the public were for Nakhid, the TTFA stood with Cummings.

Our history between Gally and Leo, all 15 years of it, was fraught with the issues of senior players joining the teams when they wanted, staying in separate hotels, and arriving late, in their own cars, to practice and at matches! And this with both local and foreign coaches. Would those overseas professionals have toed the line with Gally?

And finally, on coaching; while players from Guyana or Grenada might respect and respond to a TT Coach, I do not know that our own players will show the same respect to that coach. What do you think?

The argument that “we should only use the locally-based players” should be a no-brainer, particularly among football cognoscenti. Spain, France, Brazil, and every African country select their best players, especially those playing overseas. And so must we!

Finally, I agree with those who call for a new administration at this time. But a new administration, coming from the pool of talent that is Trinidad and Tobago, will be hard pressed to development the commitment needed to succeed.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
Re: A future for football?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:26:15 AM »
People don't want change apparently. Watson and his cohorts are settling in quite nicely thank you. They are feeling particularly smug after Watson's minion Wayne Cunningham recently "lobbied" got the support of Eastern FA clubs to avoid a proper election there - after many of the clubs had been clamouring for a vote. Too many people with votes want these people there. They benefit in little and big ways from the status quo - and the TTFF clique knows (or believes) that public sentiment cannot move them.
Which brings us to the petition. How many members does SWO have? Four thousand? How many guests visit this site every week? I don't know. Whatever the number, I responded to a post last week that said the petition could generate 200,000 signatures. My response was that if it got 2,000 it would have done well. After almost an entire week, it has generated exactly 207. Not even SWO members are signing the thing. And we want change?
Beyond that, we also need to accept that Trinidad and Tobago football is no longer dominant in the Caribbean. The era of our seven CFU titles is now long gone - and at all levels. The current failure to even beat - never mind dominate - CFU teams has a lot to do with the mentality of our players. Many of don't like to hear this and rush to condemn ONLY the coach whose team struggles in CFU tournaments, but the players MUST bear responsibility as well.
The solution is complex, therefore, and must include these basics, and all that they imply regarding human, financial, and material resources: 1) restructuring and improvement of the TTFF administration, 2) improved and more consistent youth development programmes at both TTFF and club level, 3) more effective management and preparation of our national teams, 4) better administration of regional football and TTFF-affiliated leagues.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »
there is zero future for tt football with the current crop at home running the show and the HERD on this board supporting medicority

we need some new blood that is not following the crowd, but are leaders

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
Go for it Controversial!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
A future in football?

No immediate future.

Not when we lorsin to Guyana and Bermuda in World Cup play

Cannot even get out of the preliminary round of Caribbean Cup Finals, beaten by Grenada in the process

And certainly not when we U23's...who supposed to be we future...colleckin 5 in we pweffen from St Kitts

This is the DARKEST TIME EVER in the history of Trinidad & Tobago football.

And it's only what we deserve.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:44:45 PM »

Wha happen, dis is your new mantra??  What happen to the TV rights mantra??  Are you capable of being coherent and sticking to one issue/message at all??   Some forumite tell yuh we have a herd mentality on here, yuh take it and running with it....steups!!.....perhaps if you would stop posting ah pack ah shyte all over the blasted forum, you would get cuss out so much!!  Clown!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
A future in football?

No immediate future.

Not when we lorsin to Guyana and Bermuda in World Cup play

Cannot even get out of the preliminary round of Caribbean Cup Finals, beaten by Grenada in the process

And certainly not when we U23's...who supposed to be we future...colleckin 5 in we pweffen from St Kitts

This is the DARKEST TIME EVER in the history of Trinidad & Tobago football.

And it's only what we deserve.
And when exactly did you come to this realization, was it when we loss to guyana?

now we catching we nenen tuh beat martinique and losing to st kitts allyuh bawlin we eh ready bc allyuh loss allyuh braggin rights. the fact is, we football was never that good if yuh intend to be honest, we was ok but never no world beaters. this writing was always on the wall, but allyuh failed tuh read it.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
People don't want change apparently. Watson and his cohorts are settling in quite nicely thank you. They are feeling particularly smug after Watson's minion Wayne Cunningham recently "lobbied" got the support of Eastern FA clubs to avoid a proper election there - after many of the clubs had been clamouring for a vote. Too many people with votes want these people there. They benefit in little and big ways from the status quo - and the TTFF clique knows (or believes) that public sentiment cannot move them.
Which brings us to the petition. How many members does SWO have? Four thousand? How many guests visit this site every week? I don't know. Whatever the number, I responded to a post last week that said the petition could generate 200,000 signatures. My response was that if it got 2,000 it would have done well. After almost an entire week, it has generated exactly 207. Not even SWO members are signing the thing. And we want change?
Beyond that, we also need to accept that Trinidad and Tobago football is no longer dominant in the Caribbean. The era of our seven CFU titles is now long gone - and at all levels. The current failure to even beat - never mind dominate - CFU teams has a lot to do with the mentality of our players. Many of don't like to hear this and rush to condemn ONLY the coach whose team struggles in CFU tournaments, but the players MUST bear responsibility as well.
The solution is complex, therefore, and must include these basics, and all that they imply regarding human, financial, and material resources: 1) restructuring and improvement of the TTFF administration, 2) improved and more consistent youth development programmes at both TTFF and club level, 3) more effective management and preparation of our national teams, 4) better administration of regional football and TTFF-affiliated leagues.
Breds i coulda tell yuh dat! just like when they was goin and boycott the TTFF when we played england in 2008. trinis love excitement, and when dat element not there, ah trini couldn't be arsed.

a lot of these fellas just want tuh bask in the glory, just like the average trini waginist who only run to the stadium when the team doing good, but when it come to working and taking one for the team they does turn dey back and run and hide.

as for being "dominant in the caribbean", that was once upon ah time when them ppl wasn't even trying, like the saying goes, "in the land of the blind, the one eye man is king."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:54:59 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »

Wha happen, dis is your new mantra??  What happen to the TV rights mantra??  Are you capable of being coherent and sticking to one issue/message at all??   Some forumite tell yuh we have a herd mentality on here, yuh take it and running with it....steups!!.....perhaps if you would stop posting ah pack ah shyte all over the blasted forum, you would get cuss out so much!!  Clown!!!

you really are clueless, i am surprised you have a job atall

you are incapable of carrying on complex conversations, that is not my problem. i knew that from before about the herd mentality but mentioned it in my post to show that others are aware that you and many others are apart of The HERD, it is not only myself that see it present on the board, many others see it and have even messaged me recently talking about the clannish behavior that is destroying our football and society.

you could call me a clown how much you want, but the people in the know just ignore and think very little of The HERD

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »
Breds i coulda tell yuh dat! just like when they was goin and boycott the TTFF when we played england in 2008. trinis love excitement, and when dat element not there, ah trini couldn't be arsed.

a lot of these fellas just want tuh bask in the glory, just like the average trini waginist who only run to the stadium when the team doing good, but when it come to working and taking one for the team they does turn dey back and run and hide.

as for being "dominant in the caribbean", that was once upon ah time when them ppl wasn't even trying, like the saying goes, "in the land of the blind, the one eye man is king."

mr president you don't learn breds

i presented you with an opportunity and you decided to stay the route, but that is a dead end

when will allyuh learn, pave your own way, don't go down that dead end path

oh and by the way, i signed the petition knowing fully well it will have little to no desirable end result  ;)

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
For the record Contro, I signed the petition like a couple hundred other people. I am not an originator of the petition. Nothing before its time...

1]; } ?>