April 18, 2024, 09:23:53 AM

Author Topic: National football consultation today.  (Read 15006 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: National football consultation today.
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
I would agree with that assessment. Unfortunately I have a tendancy to see whats not there, rather than what is. Given the current climate, you have to bend over backwards to prove you are not like the past regime and things have changed.
Like an adulterer, the smallest indescretion will be assumed that you are hiding something.
Given that All Sport was an appointment, not a result of a tender process I felt my concerns were justified. I here you about having just 3 months, but accounts is accounts, and I saw plenty advertising and shirts on sale at every match, so I guess I was suspicious.

harford and all at TTFF need to be ultra transparent in order to rebuild confidence and trust. I sincerely hope they achieve this!!

I think your concerns were fair... given the climate as you suggest.  I just thought they had to be tempered a bit by reality.  I don't trust Roberts and don't particularly like him, and I too was suspicious of the A/S involvement.  But what I saw from them, including Harford taking the time to respond to criticism here, was a willingness to engage critics.  This alone was a marked departure from the past, and indicated a willingness to be accountable, at least in that small regard.

:beermug:

:beermug: FS & Bakes have finally agreed on something!!

I think I am going to throw a party to celebrate!!  :wavetowel: :chilling: :cheers: :party: :afro: :thumbsup:
Haha :rotfl:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »
I would agree with that assessment. Unfortunately I have a tendancy to see whats not there, rather than what is. Given the current climate, you have to bend over backwards to prove you are not like the past regime and things have changed.
Like an adulterer, the smallest indescretion will be assumed that you are hiding something.
Given that All Sport was an appointment, not a result of a tender process I felt my concerns were justified. I here you about having just 3 months, but accounts is accounts, and I saw plenty advertising and shirts on sale at every match, so I guess I was suspicious.

harford and all at TTFF need to be ultra transparent in order to rebuild confidence and trust. I sincerely hope they achieve this!!

I think your concerns were fair... given the climate as you suggest.  I just thought they had to be tempered a bit by reality.  I don't trust Roberts and don't particularly like him, and I too was suspicious of the A/S involvement.  But what I saw from them, including Harford taking the time to respond to criticism here, was a willingness to engage critics.  This alone was a marked departure from the past, and indicated a willingness to be accountable, at least in that small regard.

:beermug:

I think I am going to throw a party to celebrate!!  :wavetowel: :chilling: :cheers: :party: :afro: :thumbsup:
Haha :rotfl:

Why yuh laughing!? This is a special occasion well worth celebrating!! :party:  :wavetowel:

The next time I am going to throw a party like this but maybe an even bigger one is when Controversial publicly admits that he was wrong about something but I feel I will see T&T qualify for another senior World Cup before that happens!! ::)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
what sport do trinbagonians like the most..it's a good question..because after that question comes investors...who takes it all..who is showing generosity is it questions? where are our supporters why cant we full up stadiums...pick your team and support...we always look for politician solutions..while its a people concern...another solutions we could make smaller stadiums for the championship and bring much heat inside...

According to the survey quoted by Tony Harford...its easily football. But, thats playing, not watching.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »

We've agreed on plenty in the past... FS just kinda loss he head over the past 6 months since Jack get caught up  ;D

Ah worthier cause for celebration is TrinBa post... dat man finally making some sense lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:32:44 PM by Bakes »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »

We've agreed on plenty in the past... FS just kinda loss he head over the past 6 months since Jack get caught up  ;D

Ah worthier cause for celebration is Trinba post... dat man finally making some sense lol

Fair enough but I still celebrating anyway as the party done start, please don't be a party pooper!!

I am Trini after all and any excuse is a good excuse to party and celebrate!!  :wavetowel: :cheers: :party:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/95zgcV-7V2I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/95zgcV-7V2I</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DmWUuFETE-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DmWUuFETE-o</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
Talking bout hitting the nail on the head.

Not much to disagree with in Romany's words. . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
Very insightful! No surprise he calls himself a sport scientist. Wish more like him would leave administration and get involved in development
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DmWUuFETE-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DmWUuFETE-o</a>
      :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It's the most sense i've ever heard anyone make on Football in T&T in a long time,i hope this Symposium is not a one and done by the MOS,we need to have more of these discussions,with the contributions of all the stakeholders i think Football can be saved because at some time people will have to act.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Restructuring the local football landscape
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »
Restructuring the local football landscape
By Narada Wilson

The restructuring of the local football landscape is compelling, crucial and requires a great deal of knowledge, time and creativity. For far too long when things go wrong, our leaders or persons in charge have scrapped the old and presented something new that may have worked elsewhere but not respecting the dynamics of our sporting culture.

The facts to consider are that Trinidad and Tobago is made up of primarily 2 ethnicities that represent about 75% of the population. English native speakers with direct access to US culture even though a former British colony. A Caribbean island of 1.3 million people that enjoy two main sporting passions. Topping it off with our love for carnival, the oil/gas industry and education accolades make our dynamics totally different from most.

The persons entrusted with the project of restructuring arguably the most popular sport in the country must have a track record of success in sport management over the last 10 years. The industry is growing at a critical speed and strategies used 15 years ago are no longer applicable. The country cannot again fail at another football reinvention, as it is now risking the entire image of the local game.

Key points for restructuring would start with improving participation. What is required is the implementation of mechanisms to encourage our children both boys and girls to want to play football. For this to happen, the image of the sport, visibility of its local players, and post career opportunities must be highlighted. Our culture is heavily motivated by education so the school is seen as a positive and safe institution, there is a need for more talks between football stakeholders and the Ministry of Education or school departments to encourage academies/youth teams to use school facilities for their activities. These grounds are more centrally located, they provide parking and security which at the youth level are decisive factors for the parents.

Coaching education/certification should be another priority in the restructuring process. For far too long our better coaches are only amassed at the elite football positions. This is not to say that those charged with grassroots coaching aren’t qualified, but the majority are not. This means that our players are entering the national youth systems with technical deficiencies. The federation must continue to regularly qualify these coaches and offer incentives to do so. This can come in many forms like discounts for sporting equipment, preferential access to coaching badges, waived tournament fees etc. Our grassroots and youth football head coaches should at some point all be in possession of the equivalent of a “C” or “B” license.

The competitive football framework is the most tedious of the lot. The Super League has been able to reach communities far and wide. The persons charged with running the organization are interested in doing the work, but what is missing is additional funding. The Super League is an amateur or at best semi-pro league by definition. Funding by government or the federation is needed and should not be denied, their contribution warrants it. They are not here for a month only or a one-off tournament. The funding should be able to cover uniforms for the season, transportation from one central point to and from the game venue, a stipend and refreshments for players on game day and inter-island travel.

The Super League and Pro League need to play in an inter-league tournament/cup format possibly divided into north and south zones, which then leads up to an eventual winner for the first half of the football season. After which the clubs return to play in their respective leagues for the second part of the season, so the most amount of elite football can be played throughout the year.

The Pro League after almost 20 years, may be the hardest hit if the restructuring is done right. The local fans have not bought into 9 months of constantly supporting football at this level. Reasons for this are less disposable income, more access to international football matches, alternative entertainment options etc. The Caribbean Premier League (CPL) may seem to work because it is only a few days over a 2-month period, and the players involved are world renowned, but compare it to local/first class cricket or community leagues and the difference is clearer. The players of the Police and Defence Force teams receive their salaries as service men while plying their trade in the league. It may be in the best interest to add other teams that can offer the same. It provides stable employment, constant physical training and added value of civic duty. A serious look should be given bringing the Prison Services and Fire Services into the discussion. Additionally, the University of the West Indies (UWI) and University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) joining, can bridge the gap for our elite youth players from secondary school to professional status. This alternative has been missing, and leads to the talent getting lost after attaining scholarships abroad. They will be student athletes and will continue to receive already existing bursaries/stipends or benefits. This will give way to 5 or 6 teams that don’t need additional governmental assistance.

Trinidad and Tobago´s population only realistically need a 10-team pro level football league at best. Clubs that are not able to finance or operate at the highest level can look at entering the Super League as the financial obligations would be less. The shares of those clubs can be bought over and costs the government or financiers less in the long term. Those that want to remain, can look at merging or remaining as is, once finances can be met. The ‘owner mindset’ speaks to resources under their control in order to achieve personal objectives. This mentality of entitlement needs to be put aside, as the business mindset of football is necessary for its survival.

The final piece of the puzzle is with the responsibility of the media. The country presently has the most number of national athletes more specifically footballers playing abroad. Those are the stories that should be dominating the sports segment of the local print media. There are online media houses able to do it, proving the information is attainable. There is no need for the foreign sports headlines to take up more than two pages, that information is everywhere to be found therefore local news should be priority one. As for television, again there is a need to limit foreign highlights, reason being that occurrence has been viewed by many, multiple times in real time before the primetime news airs. The internet age is here, the highlights of our athletes abroad are easily accessible. This gives to our local fans and more importantly the young ones, the belief that local athletes are also making a mark globally, which in return grooms better prepared minds for the successful generation to come.

About the Author: Narada Wilson is a sport executive at The Brazil Link (TBL).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »
Restructure the decision-making and the decision makers.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
So how many league nationwide divisions of football do you all think are viable in T&T?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
These people just full of it. I think the league should have about 18 teams. 10 div. 1 And 8 div2. Promotion and demotion to create competition. I also think the teams in both divisions should play each other to create a regular length season. This will create rivalry and competition in the proleague itself. Fans from div2 teams will come to support their team against a div1 team. Create upset. I here nor there if they want to do play off after regular season.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2019, 11:14:17 PM »
I don't know which is the best number to accommodate in the Pro-League for the population of  T&T. I would think a small number (no more than 10) would be manageable

But whatever the number, I think T&T needs to cultivate/adopt a standard of excellence across the board and pursue a truly professional standard of the sport.

Anything less or sub-par is realy a waste of time and resources
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:17:30 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

1]; } ?>