Fire Angus Eve

Yes
18 (54.5%)
No
8 (24.2%)
Who cares
7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Angus Eve Thread.  (Read 57010 times)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Angus Eve Thread.
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2021, 07:54:59 PM »
Verdict?

Is he the man for the job? We are running out of matches to know for sure. Only one left and the findings are inconclusive at best. He could be.

It is why a few weeks ago, in response to a question posed by Anbrat, I suggested that there could be a renewed interim period.

A word of caution to the NC:

Do NOT commit to engaging the Interim Head Coach on a full-time basis based exclusively on performance/qualification/ tournament progress/ other similar configuration.
On what basis should the Interim Head Coach be engaged?

I'll respond in possibly two parts. One here and the other, if necessary, separately.

The range of requisites and considerations for fulfilling the interim role are exceeded by the range of requisites and considerations for the longer-term position. Progression through the tournament should be a discussion starter, rather than constitute securing of the longer term role. 

Substantive response

The first concern is a durational concern: what period should the interim appointment span. Tied to this is defining the precise objective of the interim appointment and the precise benefit sought.

Proposition 1: The interim period should be narrowly construed and construed as narrowly as pragmatic.

The Gold Cup Preliminary Tournament spans July 2 - July 6. The Gold Cup runs from July 10 - August 1. The absence of an appropriate transitional period between July 6 and July 10 suggests that the interim period should contemplate the Preliminary Tournament and the Gold Cup.

If qualification for the GC does not occur, the start of the identification process for a permanent NT coach would and should be triggered on either July 2 or July 6. If GC qualification occurs, the date on which the longer-term identification process is triggered is dependent on the date of GC exit.

Proposition 2: During the interim period, the selection committee should be engaged in orienting itself with alternative candidates for the FT role. It is not necessary that the interim coach have an interest in the longer-term position or be considered for the longer-term role. Indeed that parameter must be defined, either positively or negatively at the outset. It has to be clear. Regardless, that parallel process should be engaged in as a contingency.

The NT appointment is a multiyear assignment and project, of which we can be beneficiaries due to our early elimination. We are 1.5 years away from the start of the Qatar WC and 3.5 years before the 2026 cycle. That's better than borrowed time.

Proposition 3: The larger quantum of that time we use sensibly the better (tied to Proposition 2).

The GC tournament is a solitary event similar in format to the actual WC and demands many of the management challenges tied to a WC. As such, it is a reasonable template for observation of decision-making. However, the focus of the hire should be on a candidate who can progress the competencies and sophistication of the team in keeping with the modern evolution of the game. That is, beyond results, the hire is charged with transformation. If the hire is not a transformative hire, we would be squandering borrowed time. Ground floor transformation. Transformation of culture. Root and branch transformation.

Twinning continuity in the gig merely on the basis of progression through the tournament would be short-sighted because that would ignore some critical dimensions of the job not implicated during the tournament and ignore concerns that ought not be ignored within the dysfunction of the present football ecosystem.

The FIFA windows for 2021 are August 30-September 8 and October 4-October 13.

Proposition 4: The assignment of the longer-term role should commence during the first of these windows. 

That is an on balance call, a question of interpretation and the subject of cost-benefit analysis.

The alternative assignment of the longer-term role would be the January 2022 window. In which event, there could be more than one interim appointment. That may seem inefficient or counterintuitive, but it yields a prospective benefit. However, as a caveat, in terms of timing, it should be considered that mid-year assignments tend to limit the pool of best qualified candidates. That stated, timing is not an insurmountable hurdle if the identification of the eventual candidate is targeted strategically.

I am of the view that Eve's tenure as NT coach should be extended. I can make a case for his continuation and I can make a case against it. However, on balance + nuances, I am of the view that his tenure should be extended with parameters.

Also, there should be comprehensive post-tournament reports submitted for review (technical, logistical, administrative, medical etc.) to the NC, not merely celebration of the points accumulated.

My heart say give him an extended run. Great people manager. Great atmosphere for the team. Loved and respected.

But I don't think he is ready for this level . . . although, not far from it.

I think Assistant Coach to a man like Hart would be ideal.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 07:57:06 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2021, 11:55:45 PM »
I think Assistant Coach to a man like Hart would be ideal.

Not going to happen. Hart eh coming back.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »
Trinidadian coach's tend to focus on results which is bad for the youths if A Eve did not focus on results so much he would have gotten to the second rounds TT needs a coach like Z Vanes who knows how to build a team just give him the u23 team and games for the next 2 years to prepare the players for the WCQ TT needs to stop calling these players pushing 30 for the next 2 years.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2021, 07:29:17 AM »
Trinidadian coach's tend to focus on results which is bad for the youths if A Eve did not focus on results so much he would have gotten to the second rounds TT needs a coach like Z Vanes who knows how to build a team just give him the u23 team and games for the next 2 years to prepare the players for the WCQ TT needs to stop calling these players pushing 30 for the next 2 years.

ffisback, when you reach tournament off course you focusing on results. What else?  When you playing friendly you tend to experiment, give this one a run, have an attacking defender tryout at mid field. Bring back a hold forward to play mid-field, etc. Other than that I agree with the age issues of TT teams. And then again, we eh so sure Angus contract will be extended.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2021, 07:52:01 AM »
Really, what has he done to merit such considerations? he brought back an old outdated goal keeper and a few washed up players who’s past their prime, he’s won a single game decisively parked the bus vs mexico and couldn’t get passed beatable el salvador and guatemala and was unable to win a single game in the gold cup bowing out to the competition.

since he’s been coach he has used nearly the whole team playing a five man defense against a team that couldn’t even get passed guadelope, and you want him back? no mate. let angus go find his way just like latapy stern John and jamal shabbaz who experimented on small island teams, let him coach the in the pro league and gain some experience before he’s allowed to take over our national team, no bloody way will I endorse him, he’s rubbish just like all the others.
I'm interested in hearing a similar assessment of Fenwick's tenure, with conclusions for possible re-hire.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:17 AM »

ffisback, when you reach tournament off course you focusing on results. What else?  When you playing friendly you tend to experiment, give this one a run, have an attacking defender tryout at mid field. Bring back a hold forward to play mid-field, etc. Other than that I agree with the age issues of TT teams. And then again, we eh so sure Angus contract will be extended.
It does not matter if its a tournament or friendly a Trinidadian coach will play for a result look at S Hart they all do the same thing.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »

It does not matter if its a tournament or friendly a Trinidadian coach will play for a result look at S Hart they all do the same thing.

Beenhakeer certainly played for results. He certainly not Trini.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2021, 10:09:41 AM »

Beenhakeer certainly played for results. He certainly not Trini.
Beenhakeer was a douchebag!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eve is front-runner to takeover T&T full-time
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2021, 11:04:08 AM »
Eve is front-runner to takeover T&T full-time
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

National coach Angus Eve, will either be rewarded for his work with the senior national football team at the CONCACAF Gold Cup and its qualifiers, or he will be denied an opportunity to continue coaching the team on a long-term basis.

This will be decided in September when a new coach is appointed by the FIFA-installed Normalisation Committee, being led by businessman Robert Hadad.

The TTFA has targeted August to invite members of the public to apply for the head coach position, and Eve, who led the country to wins against Montserrat and French Guiana in the Gold Cup Qualifiers, as well as two drawn matches to Mexico and Guatemala, and a loss to El Salvador in the group phase of the Gold Cup Tournament, is said to be the front runner for the job.

Jefferson George, interim president of the Unified Football Coaches of T&T told Guardian Media Sports yesterday that Eve has exceeded all expectations in charge of the T&T team at the Gold Cup which should automatically earn him the right to the T&T coaching job for the next few years.

However, another coach, Shawn Cooper, a former national youth coach believes Eve should not be judged or given the coaching job from his performance at the Gold Cup alone since it was not a show of his true potential.

Meanwhile, Cooper said: "He was given the mandate to get the team into the Gold Cup and he did so, which we weren't sure if we would have gotten under the former coach. So, in doing so, he did what he was asked to do.

Now, going into the Gold Cup, it's another competition where preparation would have been key, in terms of us progressing into the second round. So in a kind of way, it is unfair to judge him with a big stick.

It's an interim job and the time was not allotted to him to really do what he wanted to do. As Trinidadians, the expectation was up, seeing that he qualified for the Gold Cup, so everyone is expecting us now to go to the second round, but to go to that round it would mean that your preparation would have been one where you would have had a couple of months to work with the players and have them buy into what you want them to do. So all in all, he should be given a pass because that was a very difficult task."

Eve took over the coaching job from Englishman Terry Fenwick who was sacked in June after failing to advance past the first round of the FIFA World Cup qualifiers. Under Fenwick, the team received wins against Guyana 3-0 and St Kitts & Nevis 2-0 but drew with Puerto Rico 1-1 and the Bahamas 0-0 in Group F.

According to Cooper: "I think judging him going forward, we should look at what we have in front of us, in terms of the other candidates. If we had the other candidates then you can make a judgement and say what their body of work was/is in relation to Angus'.

Meanwhile, George labels Eve as the overwhelming choice, noting also that it would make perfect sense to pick someone for the job who is aware of the players.

"I don't think that Angus made, not just a strong case for himself, but also for other local coaches. I thought he performed creditably and in some cases, exceeded expectations, so definitely he deserves a go at the job.

I think it would make sense to apply someone to the job who has a very good working knowledge of the players, our environment, the limitations and our cultural uniqueness. And I think Angus separated himself well, and would have put himself ahead of whatever shortlist they might be preparing at the moment."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2021, 11:36:28 AM »
Sancho, La Forest share mixed feelings over tenure of Soca Warriors' coach Eve
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago players Brent Sancho and Ron La Forest are both pleased with Angus Eve’s performance, thus far, as T&T interim men’s coach.

However, with Eve’s contract set to expire on August 31, both stayed clear of endorsing the ex-national midfielder and captain as a long-term coach.

Sancho is concerned about the immediate future of the T&T men’s team while La Forest is willing to assist Eve in the technical department.

Eve replaced Terry Fenwick as T&T coach on June 13. At the Concacaf Gold Cup qualifiers, Eve guided the team past Montserrat (6-1) and French Guiana (8-7 on penalties after a 1-1 result at the end of regulation time) to qualify for the Gold Cup.

And, at the Gold Cup, T&T drew goalless with Mexico, lost 2-0 to El Salvador and held Guatemala to a 1-1 tie.

Sancho, the ex-T&T central defender, said on Tuesday, “Angus deserves credit for what he has done, as it relates to where the team was off the field, the toxic environment. To turn around the troops, to give a courageous performance is a true testament to what he’s been able to do.”

Also on Tuesday, La Forest, the former national striker, said, “Angus did his utmost best, which I applaud and appreciate very much, in terms of putting the (team) together as quick as possible, getting them to buy in as quickly as possible. That was very admirable.

“I would have done the same thing too,” he continued. “With the previous coach, we were playing too tense, like they were in a boot camp. Angus did a tremendous job in terms of binding them together, getting back a little smile on their (faces), which is good for us.”

La Forest, the ex-Joe Public, Ma Pau and Guaya FC coach, queried the tactics used by Eve in T&T’s opening Group A game against Mexico on July 10.

“I felt he surrendered early, in terms of giving them all that respect,” La Forest said. “We played Mexico and it was a ding-dong battle between us. I wasn’t too pleased with that performance. I felt as though he dropped shoulders too soon.

According to the former T&T Under-17 coach, “I could see where he tried to come from. He felt Mexico was the hardest team in the group. He could have (gotten) a nucleus of players to go and play against Mexico. You don’t want to give away too much chances against them.”

La Forest listed the outfield players he would have used against Mexico – defenders Triston Hodge, Alvin Jones, Aubrey David and Jelani Peters, Mekeil Williams and Neveal Hackshaw as defensive midfielders, Noah Powder and Reon Moore on the flanks with Kevin Molino as the attacking midfielder and Marcus Joseph as the centre-forward.

“Had we gone with that,” said La Forest, “I think the other two games would have been much easier. He wouldn’t have to be making (many) changes to break the chemistry. He gave in too early because of Mexico ranking.”

With regards to the position of T&T coach when Eve’s contract ends, Sancho said, “For us to answer the question of whether or not Angus should continue in the job, we, the stakeholders in football, have to address the current situation.

“I think a lot of it comes down to where we want to be, what we’re trying to do, where we want to achieve, whether or not we’re looking for a young team, that is geared for the 2026 World Cup. Are we going to recruit heavily overseas, to look for players with (T&T parentage)?”

Sancho added, “We also have to address the local league situation and whether or not the players are developing properly. All those questions need to be asked first, and then look for the person that suits that answer. It makes no sense making emotional decisions or making decisions based on a couple of games. We have to take a holistic approach at this.”

La Forest, who previously indicated his desire to serve as T&T coach when Fenwick was sacked, said, “I would like to be part of the (technical team) also. I could bring experience to the table. At least have a senior person around to show them that helping hand in terms of the best way forward.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eve endorsed: Interim coach gets backing from former players
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »
Eve endorsed: Interim coach gets backing from former players
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

HAS Angus Eve done enough to be installed permanently as Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men national football team coach?

Former national coach Jamaal Shabazz and former captain Densill Theobald both agreed that he has. They also similarly believed Eve should be given a two-year extension to his contract. Likewise, Eve has gotten endorsement abroad from 1991 World Cup winger Glen Benjamin and Leroy Spann, the former national captain and coach.

Shabazz, who has coached national teams in T&T, Guyana and St Lucia, believes that 49-year-old Club Sando coach Eve has done wonders in under a month after being installed interim national coach. Last month, Eve replaced former England defender Terry Fenwick, who was fired after unconvincing performances against Puerto Rico and Bahamas, when the Soca Warriors failed to progress past the opening round of Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying.

The short stint has seen Eve and his assistants—former footballers Hutson Charles and Reynold Carrington—score victories over Montserrat and French Guyana to qualify for the CONCACAF Gold Cup. T&T also drew with champions Mexico and Guatemala at the actual competition and were defeated by El Salvador.

“I would give him (Eve) the job for the next two years,” stated Shabazz. ”I think Angus has shown the ability to motivate players at the national level. I think he has shown that he can think outside of the box strategically, and with some mentoring from experienced people here, I think we have a coach we can build with.”

Shabazz believed the work Eve had done in such short time was superior to his predecessor Fenwick. “It is incomparable, the work under almost two years under Fenwick, and the work with under one month under Angus,” added Shabazz. “You just have to see the body language and the effort of the players, and I would not even go into the shenanigans surrounding Mr Fenwick’s appointment and tenure.”

Likewise, Theobald felt Eve had brought about vast improvement in the national team. “I think he (Eve) is deserving of an extension to his interim post. I think the boys performed well, even though we didn’t get the results we desired,” Theobald stated.

“But you saw much difference in Angus’ team, as compared to that of the previous team in the World Cup qualifiers,” adding, “I think because of that, he is deserving of an extension for a year or two. That’s just my opinion.”

Eve has also gotten support from aboard. Former T&T national youth World Cup player Glen Benjamin and Leroy Spann have both also endorsed the work of Eve and his assistant coaches Hutson Charles and Reynold Carrington.

US-based, former Under-20 World Cup winger Benjamin is backing his former teammate to continue the progression with T&T’s senior men. Benjamin formed an attacking tandem which featured him at left wing, Eve on the right wing, and former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke at centre forward in Portugal at the 1991 FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

Benjamin also featured when T&T defeated Brazil 3-2 in a pre-Under-20 World Cup warm-up in Port of Spain. After going abroad on scholarship, Benjamin migrated to the US.

Prior to T&T playing to a 1-1 draw with Guatemala on Sunday at the Gold Cup, Benjamin, his brother Nicholas, a former St Benedict’s footballer, and former T&T captain Leroy Spann visited the national team in Dallas, Texas. The former players all liked the recent improvement they saw in the team under Eve.

“I like a lot what I’m seeing,” Benjamin said, “I think Angus is bringing (back) locker room camaraderie, that confidence. Especially going from the Mexico game to the second half of the El Salvador game; what I liked is the confidence of the players I saw in the El Salvador game. I think we have the ability to go at a team and go at players and build that momentum.”

After a draw against No.11-ranked Mexico, Spann is backing Eve to get results which will propel No.103-ranked T&T back up the world rankings.

“Looking at Trinidad play against Mexico, I think I see something positive,” Spann said. “At this stage in time what is important is the result. Regardless of how good or bad they play, what is most important is to get results so that our world ranking (can) go back up.”

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2021, 02:52:38 PM »
man i can tell you i swear that am terribly afraid of trinidadians. i have met trinidadians who are against small islanders coming to trinidad seeking a better life yet they are all over england, usa and canada seeking a better life and even their grandparents and great grandparents were from these same small islands that they speak about in very unsavory terms, now if that's not madness then i'm clueless on any other matter.

now these people are telling us that angus should be given charge of our national team when angus only won a single game vs monserratt, he drew with french guina, and did not win one single game in the gold cup while scoring only a single solitary goal.

terry fenwick on the other hand did not lose a competitive game in his tenure, in fact his players scored 6 goals in the world cup campaign and did not lose one game, and was booted out because he didn't get us to the octagon, but angus gets a break though he didn't get passed the group stage scoring one single goal vs the worst team in the group with a rookie goal keeper between the sticks?

now i am certainly not an advocate for mr fenwick but he was criticized by the whole nation especially those former footballers  for his results, but angus whp performed poorly is being endorsed by the whole football fraternity, did i fking miss something here?

these is the same people who had no problem with dennis lawrence losing 17 games in succession and his boss who didn't play one home friendly with the exception of anguilla, pocketing all those match appearance fees, and God knows where that money went. this is why TT football will never develop, in order to move on we must get away from these former footballer who clearly have bias and has been mainly responsible for the awful condition that TT football has found itself in.

i believe that the normalization committee should not bow to the pressure of these former footballers who are endorsing angus eve. IMO angus should step aside, he got his shot and he blew it, tiume to move on to someone who actually knows what they're doing, no more experimental coaches like dennis lawrence and russel latapy. enough is enough already TTFA, spend the money for a good tried and tested coach and stop using these former footballers who never coached outside the pro league..

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »

now i am certainly not an advocate for mr fenwick but he was criticized by the whole nation especially those former footballers  for his results, but angus whp performed poorly is being endorsed by the whole football fraternity, did i fking miss something here?

I respect the rest of your post  :beermug: , but also think it a bit disingenuous on the comparison between Fenwick and Eve to a) Restrict the conversation to "competitive matches" so as to not mention a worst-ever drubbing against a natural comparison to Mexico and b) to not try to compare teams faced -- using  Most recent Fifa Rankings for example, with PR & Montserrat similarly ranked, and Eve's opposition in the upper half of our Confed's rankings (obviously Fr Guiana has no ranking) vs those near the bottom.

** edit -- I guess you could compare St Kitts vs Guatemala -- the the idea of 'competitive match' would come back into play.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:02:49 PM by kounty »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
I think Eve's inclination towards pragmatism caused him to lose very "gettable" points in the end though he would still got fair showing out of the team not good but fair, Fenwick's style and temperament just does not suit this team, result aside, If you looked with an unbiased eye yuh could kinda see "sumting" coming together......kinda....still think he needs to be braver, but yuh could kinda see "sumting", whether it real or mirage should be tested, IMHO, can't say that I could see "sumting" with Fenwick results aside, d players seemed uninterested or a little annoyed on d few occasions yuh could judge facial expressions from d footage of games, dat cyah be ah good sign   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:39:50 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2021, 04:38:09 AM »

I respect the rest of your post  :beermug: , but also think it a bit disingenuous on the comparison between Fenwick and Eve to a) Restrict the conversation to "competitive matches" so as to not mention a worst-ever drubbing against a natural comparison to Mexico and b) to not try to compare teams faced -- using  Most recent Fifa Rankings for example, with PR & Montserrat similarly ranked, and Eve's opposition in the upper half of our Confed's rankings (obviously Fr Guiana has no ranking) vs those near the bottom.

** edit -- I guess you could compare St Kitts vs Guatemala -- the the idea of 'competitive match' would come back into play.
I’ll be honest with you mate, I totally hate engaging you, and I’ll say why. you remind me of the typical trinidadians who live in britain who believes that trinidad football was such a venerated version of football second only to brazilian football, in fact I had a neighbor who moved all the way from the slums of  east London to tell me and my family that we should be ashamed to be west brom supporters being from trinidad and all, to support a crappy second division boom kick pot pie team when there’s Liverpool and Man U as better options.

Mate if you hate terry then that’s fine by me, I have no allegiance to fenwick nor any other coach for that matter, but IMO fenwick losing 7-0 to the United States is no different than Dennis lawrence losing 6-0 or steven hart 4-0 to the same usa, and those are still drubbings, but here’s the kicker, fenwick used a team he saw for the first time and hardly had any sessions with them, plus he was without the service of hyland, bateau, jovin, molino, levi garcia and quite a few players whom both hart and lawrence had available, in other words he was using this team for the first time, players who never met each other before all thrown together to play the best team in concacaf not having the luxury to train because of health restriction with no league for over a year, are you guys joking?

all this rubbish about worst drubbing we ever had is idiotic, germany beat the mighty brazil 7-0 in a quarter final match in front of their home crowd in a tournament that brazil was anticipated to win, since then the Brazilians have moved on change coaches and is now somewhere 3rd in the world fifa rankings. as bad as terry was he IMO would have done better vs El Salvador and guatemala, in fact any coach that’s worth his weight in salt would have beaten those two teams.

angus played a defensive game against a team that failed to score The whole tournament and used a predominantly local team that lacked fitness and played no football all season not being able to string two passes together, talk about ugly football, and now the whole local fraternity is swinging on this guys nuts for under performing. no wonder our football is going nowhere slow or fast, it’s because these utter morons who are in charge of football continue to make some of the worst decisions imaginable, even a bloody monkey has better decision making skills than these clowns. it’s just shameful even to think about it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 04:43:35 AM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2021, 04:54:06 AM »
I think Eve's inclination towards pragmatism caused him to lose very "gettable" points in the end though he would still got fair showing out of the team not good but fair, Fenwick's style and temperament just does not suit this team, result aside, If you looked with an unbiased eye yuh could kinda see "sumting" coming together......kinda....still think he needs to be braver, but yuh could kinda see "sumting", whether it real or mirage should be tested, IMHO, can't say that I could see "sumting" with Fenwick results aside, d players seemed uninterested or a little annoyed on d few occasions yuh could judge facial expressions from d footage of games, dat cyah be ah good sign
whether it’s fenwick, fister or hart, these lads want a friend to pat them on the back, not a coach to prepare them to play for their country. I want to know were they disinterested playing for lawrence as well thus the reason they lost 17 games in succession? this international football is not about some prima donnas coming together to lime with the boys and hustle some match fees and head back to their clubs, this is about pride in the uniform. just look at quoto, Quintero and zardes how those guys go out and kill themselves for the shirt, you think they give a damn about who’s coaching them? no, it’s all about the shirt and the fans who travel thousands of miles to see them play. our lads could give less than a damn about that ttfa logo on their uniform, or the flag for that matter, in fact it’s all about them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:02:41 AM by pull stones »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2021, 08:54:30 AM »
whether it’s fenwick, fister or hart, these lads want a friend to pat them on the back, not a coach to prepare them to play for their country. I want to know were they disinterested playing for lawrence as well thus the reason they lost 17 games in succession? this international football is not about some prima donnas coming together to lime with the boys and hustle some match fees and head back to their clubs, this is about pride in the uniform. just look at quoto, Quintero and zardes how those guys go out and kill themselves for the shirt, you think they give a damn about who’s coaching them? no, it’s all about the shirt and the fans who travel thousands of miles to see them play. our lads could give less than a damn about that ttfa logo on their uniform, or the flag for that matter, in fact it’s all about them.

in the absolute beginning no maybe not, as tings progress yes, Trinis have fragile sensibilities, annoyingly so, for d most part, Trinis unfortunately like winners and "advantage ting" so Lawrence's collapse to abject failure would have lead to d same said loss of confidence/interest, with Hart it was blatant undermining by d new Admin to get local club players in the team even though it had been proven time and time again dat dem fellas couldn' deal with d pace required by Hart.

did Eve fail, yes, can dat failure be interpreted as abject?, eye of d beholder ting dat, but as I said, I could kinda see "sumting" dey, for whatever dat is worth, can I be proven wrong? yes.....but at dis stage ah willing to find out.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 08:58:07 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2021, 12:57:47 PM »
Sancho, La Forest share mixed feelings over tenure of Soca Warriors' coach Eve
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago players Brent Sancho and Ron La Forest are both pleased with Angus Eve’s performance, thus far, as T&T interim men’s coach.

However, with Eve’s contract set to expire on August 31, both stayed clear of endorsing the ex-national midfielder and captain as a long-term coach.

Sancho is concerned about the immediate future of the T&T men’s team while La Forest is willing to assist Eve in the technical department.

Eve replaced Terry Fenwick as T&T coach on June 13. At the Concacaf Gold Cup qualifiers, Eve guided the team past Montserrat (6-1) and French Guiana (8-7 on penalties after a 1-1 result at the end of regulation time) to qualify for the Gold Cup.

And, at the Gold Cup, T&T drew goalless with Mexico, lost 2-0 to El Salvador and held Guatemala to a 1-1 tie.

Sancho, the ex-T&T central defender, said on Tuesday, “Angus deserves credit for what he has done, as it relates to where the team was off the field, the toxic environment. To turn around the troops, to give a courageous performance is a true testament to what he’s been able to do.”

Also on Tuesday, La Forest, the former national striker, said, “Angus did his utmost best, which I applaud and appreciate very much, in terms of putting the (team) together as quick as possible, getting them to buy in as quickly as possible. That was very admirable.

“I would have done the same thing too,” he continued. “With the previous coach, we were playing too tense, like they were in a boot camp. Angus did a tremendous job in terms of binding them together, getting back a little smile on their (faces), which is good for us.”

La Forest, the ex-Joe Public, Ma Pau and Guaya FC coach, queried the tactics used by Eve in T&T’s opening Group A game against Mexico on July 10.

“I felt he surrendered early, in terms of giving them all that respect,” La Forest said. “We played Mexico and it was a ding-dong battle between us. I wasn’t too pleased with that performance. I felt as though he dropped shoulders too soon.

According to the former T&T Under-17 coach, “I could see where he tried to come from. He felt Mexico was the hardest team in the group. He could have (gotten) a nucleus of players to go and play against Mexico. You don’t want to give away too much chances against them.”

La Forest listed the outfield players he would have used against Mexico – defenders Triston Hodge, Alvin Jones, Aubrey David and Jelani Peters, Mekeil Williams and Neveal Hackshaw as defensive midfielders, Noah Powder and Reon Moore on the flanks with Kevin Molino as the attacking midfielder and Marcus Joseph as the centre-forward.

“Had we gone with that,” said La Forest, “I think the other two games would have been much easier. He wouldn’t have to be making (many) changes to break the chemistry. He gave in too early because of Mexico ranking.”

With regards to the position of T&T coach when Eve’s contract ends, Sancho said, “For us to answer the question of whether or not Angus should continue in the job, we, the stakeholders in football, have to address the current situation.

“I think a lot of it comes down to where we want to be, what we’re trying to do, where we want to achieve, whether or not we’re looking for a young team, that is geared for the 2026 World Cup. Are we going to recruit heavily overseas, to look for players with (T&T parentage)?”

Sancho added, “We also have to address the local league situation and whether or not the players are developing properly. All those questions need to be asked first, and then look for the person that suits that answer. It makes no sense making emotional decisions or making decisions based on a couple of games. We have to take a holistic approach at this.”

La Forest, who previously indicated his desire to serve as T&T coach when Fenwick was sacked, said, “I would like to be part of the (technical team) also. I could bring experience to the table. At least have a senior person around to show them that helping hand in terms of the best way forward.”

LaForest campaigning HARD for employment.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2021, 01:05:58 PM »

in the absolute beginning no maybe not, as tings progress yes, Trinis have fragile sensibilities, annoyingly so, for d most part, Trinis unfortunately like winners and "advantage ting" so Lawrence's collapse to abject failure would have lead to d same said loss of confidence/interest, with Hart it was blatant undermining by d new Admin to get local club players in the team even though it had been proven time and time again dat dem fellas couldn' deal with d pace required by Hart.

did Eve fail, yes, can dat failure be interpreted as abject?, eye of d beholder ting dat, but as I said, I could kinda see "sumting" dey, for whatever dat is worth, can I be proven wrong? yes.....but at dis stage ah willing to find out.

Just want to say that it's more than "something". He clearly has ability as a coach--proven. He certainly cares about the players, staff, and the wellbeing of the country, which is extremely important. He certainly can motivate players and get the best out of them.
Now his over cautious approach to the games (because of fitness and the personnel available to him), was clearly the wrong approach. Too much respect for those opposition. A stronger attacking force certainly puts teams on their back foot.

But it is certainly more than just "something".

As I said somewhere else, I think he is nearly ready, but lacks either courage or belief to make the riskier choices
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:07:37 PM by Cocorite »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2021, 01:08:59 PM »

Just want to say that it's more than "something". He clearly has ability as a coach--proven. He certainly cares about the players, staff, and the wellbeing of the country, which is extremely important. He certainly can motivate players and get the best out of them.
Now his over cautious approach to the games (because of fitness and the personnel available to him), was clearly the wrong approach. Too much respect for those opposition. A stronger attacking force certainly puts teams on their back foot.

As I said somewhere else, I think he is nearly ready, but lacks either courage or belief to make the riskier choices

aka: wanting the job and planning to defend that desire "on his record".

An doh disagree with the thrust of your contribution.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:10:56 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »

aka: wanting the job and planning to defend that desire "on his record".

An doh disagree with the thrust of your contribution.

Oui I think that is exactly it.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eve swipes at 'pay to play' Football Academies
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »
Eve swipes at 'pay to play' Football Academies
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

In the aftermath of the country's decent display at the recent CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States, interim national senior men's coach Angus Eve is calling for the regularisation of football academies in T&T, to treat with the development of the game moving forward.

Eve, during a recent interview, revealed that coaches at academies across the country are more concerned about receiving monies from their young budding charges than ensuring that they are taught the foundation and basics of the game.  

Eve, himself a youth football coach, has had stints with the country's Under-17 and U-20 teams in the past and was recently the assistant to Derek King at the U-20 team. He said in taking the sport forward there is a need to utilise the zonal system while paying particular attention to the practice taking place at the football academies.

Eve said: "Basically, we have to have football up and running. I think the important thing is that we can use the zones. The zones are so important because all of the kids come from the zones, everybody plays for a zonal team before moving on to the Super League and Pro League.

"I think the zones have really been neglected for a number of years and I believe the zones should play a more integral role in the development of football.

"Also, we have to regularise the Coaching Schools system, and probably I would get some licks for this but I'm going to say it in any way, at a lot of the coaching schools it's a pay to play mentality. So once you pay, you will get to play.

"Sometimes the parents are given misinformation that their child is better than they really are, simply because someone wants to continue getting their monthly subscription. So regularising that and having proper coaches as well as proper qualified coaches in that area, is a must, because football needs to start from the grassroots level and at the coaching schools, they have the younger kids."

Former technical director Anton Corneal said the country probably has over 100 football academies. It is unsure, however, if these coaching schools are all registered with the parent T&T Football Association (TTFA), or if they are playing a role in the structural development of the sport.

Guardian Media Sports was told, by an anonymous source, that the embattled football association, which is being led by a FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee headed by businessman Robert Hadad, is set to put in place systems to use coaching academies as part of the overall development of the sport.

Eve also recommended that Primary Schools are to be utilised as a part of the development too, saying: "Also in Primary Schools, it can be used. There was a very vigorous primary school programme in the past. I myself benefited from people like Everald 'Gally' Cummings, coming into the schools and coaching football at the time.

"I think we have enough coaches in the country who can administer these types of development programmes. And not in football alone but in sports as a whole, because maybe we're catching the kids after the primary schools where they would have learnt a lot of bad habits by that time."            

Considered the country's most capped player, Eve suggested that coaches who are not in receipt of coaching certificates should seek to qualify themselves as well, noting that it will not only legitimise them as qualified coaches, but it will enhance their chances of getting coaching jobs. 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »
Angus Eve's contract as Soca Warriors coach ends on Tuesday.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

ANGUS Eve’s contract as interim coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men’s football team is set to end on Tuesday.

Eve, who replaced Terry Fenwick on June 13, was handed a contract to serve as T&T coach until August 31.

At the time of his appointment, Eve, the former T&T midfielder and captain, said his aim was to improve the team’s fortunes, following their elimination from the 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Zone qualifiers in early June.

He had five games as T&T coach, all at the Concacaf Gold Cup in the United States.

During the Gold Cup qualifiers, T&T hammered Montserrat 6-1 (on July 2). Four days later, T&T needed kicks from the penalty spot to defeat French Guiana 8-7, after the scores were locked at 1-1 at the end of regulation time. The victory over French Guiana guaranteed a spot in the Gold Cup.

In Group A, T&T drew goalless against Mexico (July 10), lost 2-0 to El Salvador (July 14) and were held to a 1-1 draw against Guatemala (July 18).

T&T finished third in the group with two points, behind Mexico (seven points) and El Salvador (six points). Both Mexico and El Salvador advanced to the knockout stage, while T&T and Guatemala (one point) were eliminated.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2021, 04:21:02 PM »
Angus Eve's contract as Soca Warriors coach ends on Tuesday.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

ANGUS Eve’s contract as interim coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men’s football team is set to end on Tuesday.

Eve, who replaced Terry Fenwick on June 13, was handed a contract to serve as T&T coach until August 31.

At the time of his appointment, Eve, the former T&T midfielder and captain, said his aim was to improve the team’s fortunes, following their elimination from the 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Zone qualifiers in early June.

He had five games as T&T coach, all at the Concacaf Gold Cup in the United States.

During the Gold Cup qualifiers, T&T hammered Montserrat 6-1 (on July 2). Four days later, T&T needed kicks from the penalty spot to defeat French Guiana 8-7, after the scores were locked at 1-1 at the end of regulation time. The victory over French Guiana guaranteed a spot in the Gold Cup.

In Group A, T&T drew goalless against Mexico (July 10), lost 2-0 to El Salvador (July 14) and were held to a 1-1 draw against Guatemala (July 18).

T&T finished third in the group with two points, behind Mexico (seven points) and El Salvador (six points). Both Mexico and El Salvador advanced to the knockout stage, while T&T and Guatemala (one point) were eliminated.

Slow news day?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
Interim President of the National Football Coaches Association, Jefferson George, says if coaches are being judged on results, then Angus Eve should be kept on as Head Coach if he still desires the job. The former National Goalkeeper also believes whoever is selected for the Warriors hot seat should be given objectives to meet, ensuring the programme is on an upward trend.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/h8utsKNLn04" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/h8utsKNLn04</a>

Interim National Team Coach Angus Eve is currently awaiting word on whether he will be retained as Head Coach of the Senior National Men's Team on a permanent basis.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4RY4xPvozTs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4RY4xPvozTs</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Angus Eve appointed Head Coach of Trinidad and Tobago Men's Senior Football Team
« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »
Angus Eve appointed Head Coach of Trinidad and Tobago Men's Senior Football Team
TTFA Communications

The Normalisation Committee has appointed Angus Eve as Head Coach of the Senior Men’s National Team (SMNT) and Men’s U20 National Team.

The FIFA appointed Normalisation Committee (NC) of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has re-appointed Angus Eve as Senior Men’s National Team (SMNT) Head Coach ahead of the CONCACAF Nations League 2022.

Eve was appointed as interim SMNT head coach prior to the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Prelims in June, following an unsuccessful qualification campaign to the 2022 FIFA World Cup. He and his staff then led the team through the Prelims and earned qualification to the 2021 Gold Cup Group Stage. Eve’s term as interim head coach concluded at the end of August 2021 and the NC has taken the decision to appoint him on a full time basis, initially until 31st March 2023.

Following the team’s enterprising performance at the 2021 Gold Cup, the NC analyzed the reports coming out of the competition, the leadership strategies employed and the team atmosphere and concluded that Eve should be given the opportunity to continue his work for the CONCACAF Nations League campaign. If the team earns promotion from Nations League B to League A, Eve’s term will be extended to the 2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

On accepting the position, Eve told TTFA Media “I’m really grateful for this opportunity to continue to serve the country in this new capacity. I am very grateful and excited about the work.”

NC Chairman Robert Hadad stated, “Angus earned an opportunity because of his desire to help Trinidad and Tobago football, his success in the last few outings and the potential that he has shown. He is passionate about our football and we see this as a relationship where the team and Angus can grow together and be successful.”

Eve will also be given oversight and lead the Men’s U20 National Team as part of the strategic plan for qualification to the 2026 FIFA World Cup, which is being held in Mexico, USA and Canada. The TTFA began development of this plan in 2020 and will continue with a keen focus being placed on the Men’s U20 players and pathway to the Senior Team, as we build towards 2026.

“It is really important that we develop this project from U20 to Seniors with our target of 2026. I am happy to lend my experience as I know each set of players and we can work on getting the blend right,” said Eve. “It now gives us the opportunity to develop the younger players and provide them with enough exposure heading into the World Cup 2026 which will be in this region.”

NC Chairman Hadad stated, “Angus knows the U20 players and is extremely decorated in youth football from his time in the SSFL. He has shown that he can relate to and get the best out of the young players. And though his time was short so far, he showed that with the Senior Team as well. So this was viewed as an ideal fit as we target development towards qualification for the 2026 World Cup.”

The Men’s U20 Team will begin training very soon in preparation for the CONCACAF Men’s U20 Championship which will be held in November 2021.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2021, 08:11:41 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FQjiNpNP7QQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FQjiNpNP7QQ</a>

I see eve talking about Shaw he reads the forum ...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 08:15:31 PM by Trini _2022 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2021, 08:38:57 PM »
Congratulations to Angus Eve!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2021, 09:14:28 PM »
WATCH: Angus Eve being interviewed on the day before he was appointed as permanent Head Coach of Trinidad and Tobago Men's Senior Team

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/o5UjSZ-xilA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/o5UjSZ-xilA</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
Leston paul is doing well angus said and he is going to recall
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>